homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How about a SoF glossary?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How about a SoF glossary?
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have probably noticed that many threads are about definition of terms (e.g. the recent one on conservatism and orthodoxy plus many many more of the What is a Christian /liberal/ whatever. What does freewill mean etc etc ad nauseam.

Does anyone think a glossary would be possible, so I could, for example, ask if Freewill(SoF) is compatible with God's sovereignity(SoF)?

Or would it spoil the fun?

Someone I know aimed to stop all arguments over predestination vs freewill by forcing the debating parties to define terms. Once that was done (if indeed it was!) there was usually nothing more to argue about. Is it possible (as Wittgenstein maintained) that most arguments are about definitions?

If we had clear definitions would all threads cease?

Of course, some terms are more like brand names which people desperately want to preserve. Christian is one of these. So maybe we should have:

Christian#1: A member in good standing in a denomination recognised as christian by the WCC (or SoF).

Christian#2: Anybody who self-identifies as Christian.

Christian #3: Someone who has been redeemed by Christ.

etc.

People could be free to suggest definitions in a post and a hostly panel could decide, after the learned discussion thrown up in the post, which go into the Glossary, and then they can be used as SoF defined terms.

Could that fly? Should it?

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there have been (rather long) threads in the past listing vocabulary including slang terms and acronyms. I don't think they included terms as difficult to define as "Christian". I don't think it is practical do do so. Some terms are moving targets; it is not clear that "Christian" has the same meaning now as it did 1200 years back or even 200 years back.

I certainly understand the desire to have fewer nit-picking acrimonious arguments that resolve nothing.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I certainly understand the desire to have fewer nit-picking acrimonious arguments that resolve nothing.

I think a lot of these arguments are precisely about exploring the range of usages and definitions of the terms in question. They're terms that are understood not by use of a fixed definition but by ideal cases. So instead of asking 'does X meet the definition of Y', one's often thinking, 'what do I think Y is if X does or doesn't fit.'

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A glossary might be impractical for above reasons. But how about a search function that would allow us to scan previous posts in a precise manner?
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
A glossary might be impractical for above reasons. But how about a search function that would allow us to scan previous posts in a precise manner?

Given our antiquated software, that's probably not possible.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
If we had clear definitions would all threads cease?

Of course, some terms are more like brand names which people desperately want to preserve. Christian is one of these. So maybe we should have:

Christian#1: A member in good standing in a denomination recognised as christian by the WCC (or SoF).

Christian#2: Anybody who self-identifies as Christian.

Christian #3: Someone who has been redeemed by Christ.

etc.

I like the idea but doubt its practicality.

As I recall it the consensual outcome of a thread attempting to define Christian was

Christian#7659: anyone God thinks is a Christian - which didn't really advance matters an awful lot.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, don't think a SoF glossary would be practical.

However some individual threads would probably be helped out by there being some sort of consensus on the meaning of some of the terms being used within that thread.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016