homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dear next door neighbours (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dear next door neighbours
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand you have small children and small children make a noise. I don't mind the noise that yours make. I understand there are five of you in a small two bedroom house so that you're overcrowded which isn't ideal. I understand that you can't be expected to regulate your noise by the fact I work shifts and I'm genuinely not bothered by your doing diy when I'm trying to sleep when I get home from a night shift.

What I don't like is when I hear you screaming 'you're just a stupid fucking cunt' at your three year old. That just isn't nice.

I don't like the fact you decided to have a drunken argument until half past six this morning. An argument that was loud enough for me to hear every single bloody word. An argument that I found distressing enough to spend the night curled up in bed crying and throwing valium down my neck.

I don't like the fact that when I knocked on your door and politely asked if you would be a bit quieter, you told me to fuck off. I don't like the fact that the police won't deal with noise complaints and that the council will only deal with them if I've put in a complaint to them during office hours.

I don't like the fact that you think it's funny once I've complained to stand at the front door and repeatedly slam it shouting, 'that will keep the fucking whining bitch next door awake.'

I'm not asking for silence. I can even put up with the fact you have a dart board against our adjoining walls and I have to endlessly hear the thump, thump, thump of your stupid darts. All I'm asking is that you behave like reasonable people and try to vaguely keep the noise below forty billion decibels at night time.

Please just shut the fuck up.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the noise of the adults usually is more distressing than the noise of the children. Especially when they choose to yell like a fish-wife at their child (or dog) when they are as close to your ears as possible.

Buy some ear-plugs and send them the bill.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I don't like the fact that the police won't deal with noise complaints

Gosh, really? That's unfortunate. I would have hoped that when the noise consists of yelling and screaming abuse, they WOULD be dealing with it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, try calling it in as a domestic disturbance rather than a noisy neighbour.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or a child protection issue - you might get the duty social worker out.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of the above posts offer very good advice and will likely get more attention - especially when child abuse may be occurring. Do be careful for your own personal safety as that type are prone to retaliation.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have suffered from this sort of thing. The Council should have a noise pollution thingy - you log all the noise, ask them to call and wait for ever until they come around, by which time everyone is so pissed that they fall asleep and the noise stops.

But if you persist, they have to log all complaints and eventually something happens.

It is frustrating but eventually you get somewhere.

[ 08. September 2012, 18:35: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The child tormenting is sickening, beyond understanding. Keep calling protective service.

But, as far as your battle beyond that, it is a sensory one, and needs to be fought that way. If you can get out to garage sales this weekend, try to pick up some nauseating CDs, such as Bary Manillow, Tammy Wynette singing gospel songs, KC & the Sunshine Band, all kinds of dumb shit. Then, pick up some old-style stereo speakers if you can find them. Unless you have a crockpot, pick up one at a garage sale.
Then, go home, mount the big speakers on the wall on each side of where the dart board is located on their side, and hook it to your CD player. Fill the crockpot with disgustingly smelly cauliflaur, beef liver, beets, curry and oregano, chicken livers, etc, and store it in the fridge.
Then next time the dart game starts, teach them behaviour modification by playing random and non-stop repeating CDs of, say, Ah Gew Tah Thah Gahden Aaaloowwne and turn on the crock pot without the lid on. Then go to the park for four hours, and feed the ducks.
Visual warfare may include chubby friends holding a lingerie party on your patio, etc.
Anyhow, you get the idea, fight the fuckers head on!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice post, LBC, if that would do anything helpful to Chive I'd be with you, but I doubt it.

I think CK has it. From what you say, Chive, there's emotional abuse of at least one child going on there. Calling a child a cunt? Never mind raising children in such an environment. Keep a diary of what you hear, and when you have enough evidence go to social services. It'll be good for the kids, hopefully for the whole family, and ultimately for your peace of mind.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend with noisy (but not abusive) neighbours took up the drums, neighbours are now quieter, but her daughter (who is now a teenager) is still going to drumming classes every week.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have nothing to say about the child nastiness except to say that it's ugly and makes me nearly homicidal. Same with people yelling or harming animals.... grrrrrrrrrrr!

But I can definitely relate to the annoying noises of some neighbors. Below our apartment is a newly married couple that just moved into our little co-op. They're young and seem nice and the wife is about to pop out a baby any time now but her husband is driving me and my significant others positively batty. His trouble? He is a bass guitar player. Now, normally, that wouldn't bother me or wife #1 because we are both drummers (although we don't own drum sets, per se at the moment but I do have an African hand drum) but I only play my djembe from early afternoon until 5 pm or so. no one has ever complained. This guy, though, cranks up ye olde bass at 11:00 p.m. and continues until... well, whenever the hell he feels like stopping. We gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time but he kept doing it and I had to have a little chat with him. I'm on the board of directors of our little co-op and you'd think he might be mature enough to get the hint, but no, no, no, he just keeps playing that old bass and we keep grinding our teeth and muttering under our breath... yesterday morning I was being slightly juvenile in return and played my djembe VERY loudly in our bedroom that's just above their's. Childish, I know. [Biased] I also notified the other board members about what's going on so some of THEM can confront this clueless fool.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
Nice post, LBC, if that would do anything helpful to Chive I'd be with you, but I doubt it.

I think CK has it. From what you say, Chive, there's emotional abuse of at least one child going on there. Calling a child a cunt? Never mind raising children in such an environment. Keep a diary of what you hear, and when you have enough evidence go to social services. It'll be good for the kids, hopefully for the whole family, and ultimately for your peace of mind.

I hear stuff around here that would curl your hair. I don't know if it's an African American thing or what but there are some women in the Atlanta area that treat their children so horribly I want to grab them and shake them until they stop breathing. One time I was waiting for the subway and some woman was screeching at top volume at her two little boys, who couldn't have been older than three. This is the shortened version of what I heard: "Javon! You a stupid little fool! Don't be trying to steal my french fries! I'm gonna kick your ass, boy! You better stop that crying or I'm gonna slap your head so hard, your face gonna be on the ground!" then she did wallop the one she called Javon. Of course he let out a wail of pain and then the other kid took that moment to grab at momma's precious fucking french fries (sorry, I'm getting angry thinking about this again) and she hauled off and belted him across the face while screaming, "You stop reaching for them fries, boy! Stop that crying, you little shit!". No one did anything and I wanted to intervene... but I was terrified of the woman, too. She was huge and mean and she looked like she would kill anyone. I felt so sorry for those children. They're going to grow up and abuse other people...

The reason why I said it seems like an African American thing around here is that this, unfortunately isn't an isolated incident. I once asked a black friend about this and she said that a lot of black women don't want their children to grow up "soft" so they yell at them and demean them because in the world at large, it's going to be worse. Really? If that's true, Jesus, that's awful...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...he kept doing it and I had to have a little chat with him. I'm on the board of directors of our little co-op... I also notified the other board members about what's going on..
Now that he knows how important you are I expect he'll adjust his behaviour accordingly.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK, the social services will - at minimum - visit for a credible report of a blow to the head. Because it is dangerous.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is definitely a Child Protection matter. Make a note of everything that has happened including all dates and times. If you are in the UK there will always be a Duty Social Worker to answer the phone if it occurs again at night time. This level of abuse makes it very likely that the behaviour has crossed the threshold for at least an ISO. You should put everything in writing and cc it to the Director of Children's Services.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
The reason why I said it seems like an African American thing around here is that this, unfortunately isn't an isolated incident. I once asked a black friend about this and she said that a lot of black women don't want their children to grow up "soft" so they yell at them and demean them because in the world at large, it's going to be worse.

Cultural differences are obviously an issue here in how we react to others' behaviour, especially in a place like London where we have pretty much every culture on earth living together. I was talking once with an immigrant friend, middle-class professional, politically liberal (we were both card-carrying Liberal Democrats at the time, me no longer!) I was shaken when he told me one thing he found hard in this country was that he couldn't beat his children without Social Services knocking on his door. When I took issue with this, he said I couldn't comment, because I couldn't understand where he was coming from. As a teacher, I learnt to be very cautious in what I said to parents from some cultural backgrounds, for fear of what I would consider unacceptable consequences for the child at home. Is it racist for me to think like this? I wouldn't say so, but I think the subtext of what my Lib Dem friend said to me was, that he thought so.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not racist at all. Beating children is wrong and against the law in this country. I appreciate that many teachers are circumspect in the language they use when discussing the behaviour and progress of some children to some parents from African and Caribbean backgrounds. Nevertheless, if one knows or suspects that that a child is being beaten they are duty bound to report it to Social Serveices.

--------------------
Edith

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

And on the issue of being harsh on your children because it's a harsh world, a relative - white European - who has lived in the US for 30+ years and raised two boys there - told me once that he felt he had to be quite brutal with his sons because America is a brutal country and they had to learn to survive. I make no comment about his belief there... I've never spent more than a couple of weeks at a time in America, never got that impression but I'm in no position to argue... but if ever I'd felt the need to be 'brutal' with my children for such a reason I'd have moved. Can't help the suspicion that talk like that is just people rationalising their own inclinations.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many, many years ago, we had this issue, and the only solution was to move. Nothing else worked. We actually ended up with 7 neighbour families confronting the family, and encouraged them to call the police. Which they didn't. It was then we moved.

The difference in our situation to the one described in the OP, is the addition of the neighbour's music choice. They owned the album "Footloose", movie soundtrack. I hate hate hate hate hate the movie and music as a consequence. Pu that together with yelling and feed me cilantro and I will be certain I've gone to hell. The bass line alone of Footloose creates waves of maniacal anger within my very soul.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr P found that Das Lied von der Erde at 7 am was a good response to Bruce Springsteen 6 hours earlier; it was certainly more effective than calling the police.

(Fortunately the couple who lived in the flat below him preferred Mahler to Springsteen and did not object. )

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind Mahler, but having that last movement kick in at around 7:30 in the morning would be a bit of a downer...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, it reminds me of the time I tried playing Gregorian chant while my suitemates very noisily got it on as I tried to study.

You'd be surprised what fails to turn some people off.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In college I put on a stack of Karlheinz Stockhausen LPs, turned up the volume, locked my door, and left for the evening. The loud stereo down the hall was much quieter after that.

But there weren't children involved or abuse (except to my eardrums).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't mind Mahler, but having that last movement kick in at around 7:30 in the morning would be a bit of a downer...

I understand that the chap upstairs had left the flat well before that.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
and she hauled off and belted him across the face while screaming, "You stop reaching for them fries, boy! Stop that crying, you little shit!". No one did anything and I wanted to intervene... but I was terrified of the woman, too. She was huge and mean and she looked like she would kill anyone.

I don't think I would have been able to stop myself from going into a near-murderous rage at that filthy, evil bitch. Huge and mean doesn't really stop when someone goes insane the way I suspect I would. Evil monster.

Sorry, I was abused myself.

Chive, I'd definitely call the authorities about the child abuse. I wish someone had intervened earlier in my own case.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

[Tangent] Chast, it's great to have you back but your new avatar is confusing me no end. [/Tangent]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, very well. [Hot and Hormonal] Fixed!

[ 10. September 2012, 08:25: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a large man shouting obscenities at a small child near the start of a train journey (we got on at the first station) with several empty cans of strong cider on the table.

I get cross with my children, but wouldn't dream of shouting at a five year old that she is a bitch or a cunt. What kind of person is that child going to grow into?

I briefly contemplated telling the train conductor or phoning the police but the got to our station and got off. Maybe I should have done more.

I don't even know if the police would have done anything. :s

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Oh, very well. [Hot and Hormonal] Fixed!

Many thanks [Yipee]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
And on the issue of being harsh on your children because it's a harsh world, a relative - white European - who has lived in the US for 30+ years and raised two boys there - told me once that he felt he had to be quite brutal with his sons because America is a brutal country and they had to learn to survive. ...

The problem with that strategy is that the kids end up feeling totally unsafe in the world AND at home. I much prefer the approach that the world is a tough place, but there's at least one place you're safe: home.

I have to confess that when I witness the sorts of public incidents cited above, my only thought is to get away before *I* have a meltdown. I've even heard shit like that sitting in my psychiatrist's waiting room - a father telling his son he was a loser and a quitter, just before they went in to see the kid's shrink. WTF????

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
I've even heard shit like that sitting in my psychiatrist's waiting room - a father telling his son he was a loser and a quitter, just before they went in to see the kid's shrink. WTF????

Was the son a loser and a quitter?

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how such things work in the UK, but those lovely next door neighbors are asking for a visit from Child Protection.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Document. Call Child Services. Call them again each time there's an occurence.

And the Learn To Speak Klingon tapes are lovely at 6am if your neighbor does not understand the concept of quiet hours.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy--

Are there any tapes of Klingon opera? [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is an excellent question you honourless petahk.

I found Klingon war song. The words are better than the singing (and your blood is like water).

I like the Klingon Drinking Song better (and you smell like a Ferengi's grandmother).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Spiffy--

Are there any tapes of Klingon opera? [Smile]

Or Vogon poetry? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just remembered something I've used effectively against Stompy McStompsalot, my next door neighbor in my flats-- Noisecore.

It's theoretically music, but as far as I can tell the point is to make LOUD! NOISES!

Turn your speakers way down and give this a go. Bonus points if you put a subwoofer against an exterior wall.

This should really be considered weaponized noise.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
!Vogons! I almost added them to my post, but couldn't remember their name! Thanks, Huia!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

This is all very funny but I do hope the OP has not failed to report posdible child abuse.

--------------------
Edith

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:
I've even heard shit like that sitting in my psychiatrist's waiting room - a father telling his son he was a loser and a quitter, just before they went in to see the kid's shrink. WTF????

Is anyone ever wholely defined by one characteristic in life ?

Are we back to your hot button issue about whatever you were alleged to have done/said to your/someone else's child that you keep dropping hints about, again ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that a swift phone call to social services could solve this problem in the UK.

And why not? Because our sodding govt has seen fit to cut/cut/cut the hours, staff, clerical and admin help, expenses, supervision, sensible management and every last single thing that made that job Just About Bearable.

Don't believe me? Sadly just look at the adverts for agency staff to cover Duty Social Workers, esp at the weekend. Look and weep.

Blessed are we in the UK with a family court system that no one believes in any longer. A not-at-all-joined-up social services, ineptitude when it comes to handling 'the public'...and finally everyone running scared of lawyers and loosing their jobs.

I'd go with being kind to the neighbours and hope to hell that they thaw.
Or moving.

Possibly phoning the NSPCC might help.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've phoned the NSPCC about the situation with the children.

I don't think being an arse and being loud back would achieve anything - it just escalates the situation. And as I live in a terrace, playing loud music would piss off the lovely quiet neighbours that live on the other side. I bought my house nine years ago, there have been five different people living at the house the noisy neighbours live in and this is the first time I've had any problems.

To be honest I just wanted to rant after 48 hours without sleep because of them.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The son was certainly a loser in having a father who would treat him in that manner.

The more interesting point is wich insults and derogatory comments are acceptable in your view for a father to berate his child with in front of other people, even if they are true?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:
quote:

Is anyone ever wholely defined by one characteristic in life ?
No, of course not, and only an idiot would think so. However, if you lose a game, you are in fact the loser in that game, and if you quit the game because you lost once, you are in fact a quitter at that point in your life. Telling someone that is not in itself abusive just as a kid refusing to play a game with another kid is not bullying them and sending kid A to an "alternative" school to stop their "bullying behavior" is not going to help anyone. (Though I do agree that the behavior in the OP sounds appalling and should be reported).

quote:
Are we back to your hot button issue about whatever you were alleged to have done/said to your/someone else's child that you keep dropping hints about, again ?
When the thought police disappear from the US and the majority of rich white women in this country stop being selfish crazy bitches I'll shut up about my stupid irrational hot button issue.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When the thought police disappear from the US and the majority of rich white women in this country stop being selfish crazy bitches I'll shut up about my stupid irrational hot button issue.

I thought you only hung out with the poor and unemployed.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

I thought you only hung out with the poor and unemployed.
Now you're just being silly. I only want to hang out with the poor and unemployed, as they seem* to be the only people left in this country with an ounce of human decency or common sense, but it's hard to avoid rich white women. They're everywhere.

*yeah, I know, things aren't always what they seem.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

If you make that middle-aged, rich, white women you'll have the bigotry trifecta.

[ 11. September 2012, 17:16: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

How do most people define 'middle-aged'? Because it's really the spoiled brats in the 20-40 range that are causing me my problems, and while the high end might count as middle-aged, I doubt most would, and they would all be mightily insulted to be called middle-aged.

But, you know, now that you point it out, I think maybe redefining the word in idiosyncratic ways to hit the bigotry trifecta might be a good move right about now.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's just that SaySay cares deeply about rich white women, and is only saying that they act like crazy bitches out of his concern for them.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Sorry; selfish crazy bitches; musn't leave out selfish; it is wrong to misinterpret what saysay has written.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016