homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Boring (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Boring
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Boring Conference 2012, "devoted to mundane matters", has apparently been a sellout. I haven't found further information on what topics they'll be talking about this year, but am sure we could probably suggest a few. You might like to have a look at last year's to give you an idea.

Meanwhile, here are Britain's most boring days out.*

So - any suggestions? Places you've been to? Collections you've seen? First-hand experiences of in-depth boredom? Anything else?

* Some of the photos are actually quite interesting.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised they didn't mention Creamtealand's greatest attraction, Barometer World. After all what else is there to do when it never stops raining?

And don't just think it's a summer-only tourist attraction, you can even go there to buy your Barometer Christmas Cards!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One boring place to visit is Boring, Oregon. They have recently formed an association with the town of Dull in Scotland.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you interested in colour? then visit Bradford's Colour Museum. Not as bad as it sounds.

One hat museum would be enough for one country, but no. You could do a tour of hat museums. Stockport, Luton and London.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may jest, Balaam, but after you've been to the Hat Museum, try the Shoe Museum in Northampton. I did, and didn't find it at all boring, but then I am a bit of a shoe fetishist ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prior to the quakes there was a Museum of Cricket in Christchurch. Not all the damage was a cause for regret.

Huia [Two face]

[ 24. November 2012, 07:11: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One nearby town boasts the largest collection of Night Light Teapots. The Teapot Museum, it seems, is a tourist destination [Confused] .

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Norwich has a Mustard Museum

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And after visiting the mustard museum, it's only a short drive over to Little Snoring. The Wikipedia article on the village is very short, presumably because not much happens there while everyone is asleep....

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it depends on your interests. Personally, I found the helicopter museum, just outside Weston Super Mare, incredibly boring - once you've seen one, you've seen them all - but Darlenwr and Lord P found it fascinating. Didn't help that the day we ended up there was cold and miserable, and the main part of the museum was unheated. The cafe wasn't very good either.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one's mentioned the legendary Pencil Museum in Keswick, Cumbria.

I HAD to visit it.

It gets a mention in a Little Britain sketch (skit to our US readers) - not that this is any recommendation.

Is it boring?

No, I found it quite interesting. Perhaps I ought to end it all now ...

[Eek!]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once sent on a course for Word, which began with an explanation of what an icon was and why you had to click on it (using the correct button on your mouse to do so). After about 5 minutes we got into the program and were introduced to The Scrollbar And What It Does.

As I'd been using the program already for about 3 years (but had not had formal training so a course was deemed mandatory) I can't say I was utterly gripped by this.

It was, however, more interesting than a teach-yourself-programming coursebook on Fortran that I once misguidedly borrowed from the library and took back unread.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the mandatory training courses. A rich seam of Kill Me Now tedium. Mind you, the Equality and Diversity ones were usually enlivened by a few attendees (usually from Security) who couldn't see you why it was wrong to call people crips/loonies/poofters/wogs etc if that's what they were.

The one that really obliterated the will to live was undoubtedly the week trapped on an industrial estate learning about PRINCE2.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to at least three of those - the Pencil Museum, the Dog Collar Museum (which the Torygraph has probably confused a few people by not mentioning it's in the little village of Leeds in Kent, not the one in Yorkshire), and the Verdant Works, and would love to go to at least two more - especially the Bakelite Museum.

Sadly they couldn't get funding for the museum of death in Birmingham...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
the Dog Collar Museum (which the Torygraph has probably confused a few people by not mentioning it's in the little village of Leeds in Kent, not the one in Yorkshire),
AG

Ah, thanks, Sandemaniac. I have visited that one, but was thinking there must be two when I saw the OP.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the article was written off the back off someone reading the wonderfully-titled travel book Bollocks to Alton Towers. The Pencil Museum receives a mention, as does the British Lawnmower Museum. It makes some decidedly odd places sound quite enticing (a garden full of themed gnomes ??)

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Prior to the quakes there was a Museum of Cricket in Christchurch. Not all the damage was a cause for regret.

Huia [Two face]

Why was I not told? [Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Ah, the mandatory training courses. A rich seam of Kill Me Now tedium. Mind you, the Equality and Diversity ones were usually enlivened by a few attendees (usually from Security) who couldn't see you why it was wrong to call people crips/loonies/poofters/wogs etc if that's what they were.

The one that really obliterated the will to live was undoubtedly the week trapped on an industrial estate learning about PRINCE2.

Wait until you get ITIL. You'll look back on PRINCE with nostalgia.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

If there is one thing reconciling me to age and the only end of age it is that I never have to go on another training course.
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
Norwich has a Mustard Museum

I've been there.

Still upset I didn't go to Guernsey's telephone museum when I was over there or Auntie Doris' wedding for it has now closed down and I won't get another chance. Did go to the tomato museum though.

[ 24. November 2012, 20:56: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I wonder if the article was written off the back off someone reading the wonderfully-titled travel book Bollocks to Alton Towers.

There is a sequel,
Far From the Sodding Crowd, which I bought at llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (also in "Bollocks...") solely for the picture of my student hang-out, dear old Hernia Bay, on the front cover.

We've been to quite a few in both books (including ringing at Imber), and have been known to do swift u-turns when strange brown signs have been spotted!

Perhaps the most deep-down boring place we've been was the Grain earth house at Kirkwall. It's a hole in the ground. We were fascinated by it (no, really!).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

When you have finished at Gnome World, you could come and visit Pixieland (on Dartmoor), where you will get to know all these fascinating creatures. I'm thinking of taking Pyx_e there for his next significant birthday, but don't breathe a word! [Biased]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Repulsive, but not actually boring, sorry. Most of these museums sound quite interestingly quirky.

How about Sunday mornings wasted on the most boring sermon ever, or afternoons spent hanging round a station platform while the person you were with scribbled serial numbers from passing freight trains into a notebook? Losing the will to live in a meeting, or on one of those long car journeys where the small child in the back sings the same phrase over and over again, for three hours? Time spent sitting in a plane going nowhere, stuck on the runway? Looking through a collection of photos of traffic cones? There are nadirs of boredom yet unplumbed.

Speaking of which, I once made the mistake of politely asking someone whether she had plans for the Easter holidays, and was treated to a long explanation of exactly how she intended to remove and replace the bath. There are some questions you immediately regret asking.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
my student hang-out, dear old Hernia Bay, on the front cover.

My teenage hangout. Many an angst ridden hour spent fending off boredom at the roller rink on what remained of the pier there.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hanging around on the station platform while someone scribbled down numbers wouldn't be too bad if I could have a camera please, lots of material to try photographing. However, being given a blow by blow account of the trains seen and carriages counted heads into boring territory.

The most boring experience was being told, for 2 hours, what needed doing on a voluntary secretarial post. He'd already sent me all the information by e-mail. He really, really didn't need to go through it all page by page. Open door, throw files in and run would have done it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... trapped on an industrial estate learning about PRINCE2.

Is that a film sequel or a new member of the Royal Family? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

I thought is was Michael Jackson's younger son.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

...creep home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
When you have finished at Gnome World, you could come and visit Pixieland (on Dartmoor), where you will get to know all these fascinating creatures. I'm thinking of taking Pyx_e there for his next significant birthday, but don't breathe a word! [Biased]

Haha! We used to drive past pixieland every year on our way to Hexworthy on holiday. Every year we would say 'pleeeease can we go to pixieland?', and there would be a resounding 'no!' from the front of the car. A couple of years ago, I took my kids down there on holiday and it was like a replay - they saw it, wanted to go, and we in the front of the car absolutely refused.

My sister relented and took one of her girls (now in her 20s) a while back. It is, apparently, completely and utterly bonkers. The woman who runs it gives you a guided tour and you have to wear gnome hats at all times.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

My teenage hangout. Many an angst ridden hour spent fending off boredom at the roller rink on what remained of the pier there. [/QUOTE]

You might have been skating over my head - I spent a lot of time seeing what the sea had washed up under the pier, and I even managed to get a fisherman to take me out to the old pier head. Both activities that I can see many people describing as "Boring".

Incidentally, birdie, your sig perfectly sums up your last post!

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of those Torygraph pictures has the accompanying and presumably sarcastic text:

quote:
The perfect day out for restless children
Indeed. I'll be delighted if restless children young and old feck off to some other source of instant gratification and leave me to enjoy these places in peace.

I've visited several of the places in 'Bollocks to Alton Towers'; Southport lawnmower museum is listed in the link from the OP, and also Keith Harding's world of mechanical music was a particular favourite. Thanks for the heads-up on a sequel - something for the wife to add to my Christmas list, along with perhaps some ebay searching on my behalf for a few old plugs.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Then, of course, there is the re-enactment of the 1454 Pixies' Revenge, where you can see whether dreadful harm comes to the Bellringers, or whether the Pixies are routed and driven off. We really know how to create mayhem in Creamtealand.

If all that is too much for you, I was going to direct you to the Great Torrington Glove Musuem, but unfortunately it has closed. The gloves are really off now.

--------------------

Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 'boring' is very much an individual thing. When I worked in an office I was often bored, and I frequently (almost invariably) get bored at parties. But give me a medieval chronicle to read and I am lost in delight.

A lot of people nowadays have the attention span of a gnat, and no interest in anything except maybe the latest IT gadget or 'cool' fad. It's almost fashionable to be bored.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. 15, the Verdant Works, Dundee, seems a little unfair, given it has won awards.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
No. 15, the Verdant Works, Dundee, seems a little unfair, given it has won awards.

Given that the mill owners were all Liberals, and the workers didn't matter, no wonder the Torygraph gets up its arse about it. A fair number of my crowd worked in the jute mills, this is my equivalent of the stately homes you imagine your readers' ancestors all spent their time in.

AG

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come most of the boring places are in the UK?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

OTOH, Ontario not only has the Canadian Canoe Museum, but the world's largest apple-shaped structure (at Colborne). We also stayed somewhere which had a piece of the world's largest ever cheese. Just a piece, so you did have to use a little imagination in order to be adequately impressed.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We are terribly good at it. We have a particular talent for making crap tourist "attractions" out of fuck all. We do this by tempting people into places that are indeed beautiful but have very little to actually do except walk, cycle, climb, scramble, canoe etc. - enough, one might think, to fill any fortnight's visit, and would be, were it not for the fact that said places are also extremely rainy and therefore only the keenest outdoorsy types actually want to do the above activities much of the time. Moreover, we somehow tempt people to these places who have no interest in the above activities! Hence they are full of cagouled families wandering around in the rain so desperate that they'll fool for any crappy two-bit "museum" containing two nondescript pieces of agricultural equipment and a relief map of the area showing you what the mountains you can't see because of the mist and rain don't quite look like.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Huia [Two face]

Why was I not told? [Waterworks]
Sorry Pete, but I think it was one of the buildings taken out by the Sept 2010 quake. It was in an area of very unstable ground.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia is home to a comedic array of Big Things keep it clean, kids), not the least of which are the Big Banana, the Big Pineapple (those Queenslanders), and the Giant Earthworm, and many of which host fascinating museums for the seriously committed.

ETA: fricking URL demons. Hopefully this one works.

[Tamed URL demon with tinyurl.
jj- helpful host]

[ 27. November 2012, 02:25: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nup. Gah. Sorry [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not seeing a problem with the links Mullygrub.

You can find postcards of the big banana and pineapple at The Big Apple mentioned above. I think they're all part of The World Federation of Pointless Fruit-shaped Structures.

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Incidentally, birdie, your sig perfectly sums up your last post!

Quite.

Actually, reading back, it strikes me as a perfect shipmeet venue.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

We are terribly good at it. We have a particular talent for making crap tourist "attractions" out of fuck all. We do this by tempting people into places that are indeed beautiful but have very little to actually do except walk, cycle, climb, scramble, canoe etc. - enough, one might think, to fill any fortnight's visit, and would be, were it not for the fact that said places are also extremely rainy and therefore only the keenest outdoorsy types actually want to do the above activities much of the time. Moreover, we somehow tempt people to these places who have no interest in the above activities! Hence they are full of cagouled families wandering around in the rain so desperate that they'll fool for any crappy two-bit "museum" containing two nondescript pieces of agricultural equipment and a relief map of the area showing you what the mountains you can't see because of the mist and rain don't quite look like.
Be fair Karl, those cheapskate tourist attractions only exist because there are so many cheapskates who would rather pay £5 a time for two crap days out than £10 for one good day out. We British have low expectations and our "Tourist Attractions", like the "Ideal Gifts" you see at this this time of year, are testaments to that.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Be fair Karl, those cheapskate tourist attractions only exist because there are so many cheapskates who would rather pay £5 a time for two crap days out than £10 for one good day out. We British have low expectations and our "Tourist Attractions", like the "Ideal Gifts" you see at this this time of year, are testaments to that.
I think what bothers me is the fact that most of these tourist attractions are closer to the £20 than the tenner or the fiver [Biased]

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
Not seeing a problem with the links Mullygrub.

Thanks, Firenze, but it's not all Neat And Tidy like I prefer it to be.

Sigh.

Now, THAT would be an interesting* seminar: OCD-esque Behaviours in Context and Contemplation.

*BORING for the Normal People

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I'm surprised they didn't mention Creamtealand's greatest attraction, Barometer World. After all what else is there to do when it never stops raining?

And don't just think it's a summer-only tourist attraction, you can even go there to buy your Barometer Christmas Cards!

Barometer World is quite the legend in our family! I come from a family of caravanners and my parents would always get leaflets/brochures from the most boring attractions possible from Creamtealand to pin up in their local pub back home in Coventry. We have several generations photographed in the boat outside the Witchcraft Museum* in Boscastle!

*not boring but sadly forbidden by my lapsed Catholic dad

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have done ITIL and I second the motion.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

We are terribly good at it. We have a particular talent for making crap tourist "attractions" out of fuck all. We do this by tempting people into places that are indeed beautiful but have very little to actually do except walk, cycle, climb, scramble, canoe etc. - enough, one might think, to fill any fortnight's visit, and would be, were it not for the fact that said places are also extremely rainy and therefore only the keenest outdoorsy types actually want to do the above activities much of the time.
That sounds like the Land's End Experience.

The real Land's End experience is Land's End itself, not some poxy tourist attraction and shopping mall.

I am a fan of Doctor Who. But the Doctor Who exhibit at Land's End is in the wrong place. There's no reason why it could not be in Penzance, Or St.Ives. But not in a concrete monstrosity that ruins a very scenic place.

Yes Land's End is wet. Very wet. For the Atlantic winds that bring the rain it is the first place on the British mainland where they reach land.(Or for the pedantic, Cape Cornwall). The rain can be horizontal. Even Uphill. But it is this often violent weather that has shaped the land and made it what it is, not several thousand tons of Readymix.

In the end those who wish to see the real Land's end are disappointed because of the concrete. Those who see the adverts for the Land's End Experience and come are also disappointed that it isn't Alton Towers.

Everybody loses.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been to at least three of those - the Pencil Museum, the Dog Collar Museum (which the Torygraph has probably confused a few people by not mentioning it's in the little village of Leeds in Kent, not the one in Yorkshire), and the Verdant Works, and would love to go to at least two more - especially the Bakelite Museum.

Sadly they couldn't get funding for the museum of death in Birmingham...
AG

[Waterworks] I am so upset now! I looked through the pictures and saw that the Dog Collar Museum was in 'Leeds'. "Didn't know we had that in the city!" I thought. But apparently we don't. [Disappointed]

We always joke on weekends away to the Lake District that if the rain's too bad we'll go to the Pencil Museum. It is probably 'quite' good', but I've yet to go round it.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016