homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nov. B ook Group--Going Home: Jesus & Buddha As Brothers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nov. B ook Group--Going Home: Jesus & Buddha As Brothers
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our November read is Thich Nhat Hanh's Going Home: Jesus & Buddha As Brothers. TNH is a Buddhist priest and peace activist. MLK nominated him for a Nobel Peace prize.

Tentative start date is Nov. 20th. Please post if you're planning on joining us, and whether the start date will work for you. (As always, anyone is welcome to drop in later. This just gives me an idea of the group.)

Please do not start the discussion before the start date. It works best if we start together. I'll post some basic questions on that date, and then everyone can dive in.

Happy reading!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have ordered the book from the library, and got the message that it's in for collection. This is a first - that I remembered to order it the month before and it arrived in time.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My copy of this is at home, but I'm not.
Will start it when I get back.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This book should be with me shortly, so I'm in.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{Bumping up as a reminder.}

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This interests me, so I'm going to see if I can locate a copy.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks for the interest, everyone. [Smile]

BTW, the book is divided up into small sections. You can read straight through, or skip around.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

How's the reading going? Does the 20th still work as a start date?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still reading. It's one of those books where you need to read a small portion, and then stop and reflect, but I think I'll be able to contribute to a discussion by the 20th.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still reading too. The text is so rich I can't hurry it.

It's not as if any plot will be given away by the discussion though, so I don't mind when it starts.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also still reading. As I'm unfamiliar with most of the Buddhist concepts, I'm also having to do some 'further reading', i.e. looking things up online! Hence, progress is fairly slow. I'm enjoying reading it, though.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reading too, but it's indigestible unless taken in small chunks. I'm finding it similar to the one we read a few years back.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ok. Thanks for your input.

Tell you what: when I put the questions together, I'll make them ones that can be applied to whatever you've read in the book.

And I can post links to help you. Anything in particular you need? Buddhism 101 kind of stuff? Info on Thich Nhat Hanh? I'll post a link to his Plum Village website.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ok, some (hopefully) helpful resources. Let me know if there's anything else you need.

TNH's community, Plum Village
http://plumvillage.org/

Tricycle magazine—“Buddhist wisdom, meditation, and practices for daily life”
http://www.tricycle.com/
At the very bottom of the front page, there are links to info about various aspects of Buddhism.

Dharma the Cat cartoons
http://www.mahabodhi.net/dcat/
Fun!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And here are links to Buddhist glossaries and dictionaries.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks very much, Golden Key. I shall enjoy investigating these sites! I'm starting to practice mindfulness, so I have a vague idea of how that originated in Buddhism, but that's about the extent of my knowledge so far.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Discussion starts here.

Here are some starter questions. Feel free to answer any or all of them, and/or add your own.

1. How did the format work for you?

2. Likes? Dislikes?

3. Any knee-jerk reactions?

4. Did anything disturb, confuse, enlighten, or help you?

5. Have you read any TNH, Buddhist, and/or meditation books before?

6. How do your current beliefs (religious, agnostic, atheist…) fit with the ideas in the book?

7. At the very end of the book, TNH poses a scenario where a young Buddhist and a young Christian marry. He suggests that they each practice the other’s faith. Could that work? Would it be a good thing?

8. Have you seen the movie “Hand in Hand”, about a Jewish girl and a Catholic boy who are childhood sweethearts? How does it fit in with this book?

9. Are Jesus and Buddha brothers? Should they be?

And people who haven't posted on the thread yet are very welcome to jump in at any time!
[Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{Gentle bump.}

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I haven't read it all yet, and I'm still thinking about the questions, but so far I'm enjoying taking it in small pieces and reflecting on it. It's not on Kindle so I bought a second-hand copy which is ideal for meditating on in the bath (one of my guilty reading habits I'm afraid). There is a lot that I find 'speaks to my condition' when I read it, the need for experience for instance, which is what I'm reading at the moment. I also liked finding out that in Vietnamese it is usually to refer to your spouse as 'your home'.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

I'm enjoying the book, but not finding it as accessible as some of his others. I've read extracts from Peace is Every Step, for example, which is a much more practical explanation of mindfulness meditation. Going Home is more concept-based, which is probably why I'm struggling with it - I tend to prefer a more practical, instructional approach. Still, I'm learning a lot about Buddhism.

I haven't reached the part about the married couple yet.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Still reading in short bursts.
My reactions swing from alienation from what I'm reading to total identification .
I also found Peace is Every Step more accessible. My copy has been purloined by daughter Erin who is doing the sensible thing and reading it very slowly.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm afraid I found Peace in Every Step more accessible too. I'll take it with me tomorrow when I'm away from computers and see how much I read around things I'm doing.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks, everyone. Sorry I picked something so difficult to work with!

There's no rush.

If you feel like you want to post more, you might pick a couple of sections and talk about them.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

I would say that it's a challenging book, but that's no bad thing. [Smile]

I am struggling with the idea of not having 'notions'. I can understand how preconcieved ideas can cause problmes, so it's a good idea to get rid of them. However, the author seems to be saying that we shouldn't make judgements or have notions about anything at all. I think this takes it too far - after all, if you judge something to be wrong, you can then do something to change the situation. The idea of having no judgements or notions seems to be very passive. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{Bump.}

[ 04. December 2012, 05:16: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks to everyone who gave this book a try! [Smile]

Feel free to continue the discussion, if you like.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016