homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you went to Church today ...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you went to Church today ...
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were there any candles?

Where were they?

Were they lighted wax candles with wicks or oil lamps shaped as candles?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been yet, but I can tell you from here... two liquid wax candles at the Altar; two liquid wax torches for the processions; four beeswax Advent candles, three of which will be lit this week. The beeswax Paschal candle will be unlit (though it was lit for a Baptism a couple weeks ago). Wax votive candles in two spaces at the back of the church -- the number of them to be lit depends who who wants to light one this morning.

In the chapel which is attached to the main church, two liquid wax candles at the Altar; four beeswax Advent candles, three of which will be lit this week; one wax "presence candle" at the tabernacle. The Altar and Advent candles will not be lit this morning since we won't have a service in there.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a Christmas wreath: four red candles for the four weks of Advent, with a white candle in the middle that will be lit on Christmas Day.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At minimum, we'll have two processional candles, four for the Advent wreath (three lit), tabernacle candle and one at each corner of the altar. If you count the candles people can light in prayer at the outdoor grotto, there'll be many many more.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not been yet, but there'll be one per orange.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All wax and lit.

Four on and around altar plus two acolyte torches; tabernacle nightlight, some votive candles before an icon of the BVM. All White.

Plus 3 advent candles - red

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't allow fake candles, so they are all at least 25% beeswax.

Church (1) Two altar candles and three on the advent wreath (plus the prayer lights)
Church (2) Eight altar candles, plus three on the suspended advent wreath, plus the votive candles, plus the prayer lights, plus a sanctuary lamp and one at the aumbry
Church (3) Six altar candles, plus three on the advent wreath, plus the prayer lights.

We won't light any for the Town Carol Concert in church this evening...

[ 16. December 2012, 16:16: Message edited by: AberVicar ]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six on the High Altar, two on the Nave Altar, two by the statue of Our Lady (along with numerous votive candles) and three on the Advent Wreath. There was quite a heated discussion in the vestry before the service as to whether the pink candle should be lit this week (Gaudate Sunday) or next week (Mary). I'm pleased to say that Gaudate won!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two on the altar, three on the (now repaired) advent wreath - fortunately no more pyrotechnics this week - and one for the children's Vestry Group prayers.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
two liquid wax on the altar.
4 liquid wax on Advent wreath. 3 with flame. This is the first year we have had liquid wax for Advent. So happy not to have to worry about candles burning down and setting greens on fire, or dripping wax to clean up from the carpet this year.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 (white) on the Advent ring/wreath on the communion table
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5 I think 4 red and one white on the advent wreath.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning 3 red ones (proper wax) on the Advent wreath. This evening loads and loads (all proper wax) as it was carols by candlelight.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 on the altar and a large one on a stand which they call "the gospel candle". Then of the 5 on the advent wreath, 3 of them lit in a small liturgy before anything else (if that's what it is called). That's it for candles. They are all 'real'.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 blue candles with a red 1, and a white 1 in the centre. And tonight there were at least 200 people and we and the choir people all have a candle. It was good hymns and Bible and everyone seemed to like to have the candles - the lights in the church were put down a lot. We also had big candles by the windows and above us on the big white bits that hold up the top of the church.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wreath with four blue candles (three lit) and one white candle (unlit), two candles on the altar, one candle in each of the 12 alcoves around the chancel (the alcoves at one time had statues of the apostles but they vanished after the earthquake [possibly much to the joy of many at the university]), and, I think 6 (but could be 8) small candles on the altar rail which was also decorated with some seasonal greenery (neither the altar or the altar rail are used for their original purposes).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None.

JtW

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to a ConEvo church typical of Sydney ANglicanism to watch my 3 yo God Daughter perform a playgroup item in the kids service. Not a candle to be seen.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
five candles on advent wreath-- 3 purple, one pink, white Christ candle in center. Two were lit before the service and the third was lit during the service.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NFI church for carol service - not a candle in sight.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My RC cathedral parish had 3 candles lit in a large wreath and multiple Christmas trees behind the altar. As a lector, I was the first reader - reading from the book of Zephaniah.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The third candle was lit on the Advent wreath during the course of the service, as were two extras, one for Samoa and one for the school in Connecticut where the shootings took place.

All the candles are wax/

It's a Presbytarian church.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two on the altar, two pavement candles, two more carried by servers. Five on the Advent wreath, of which two purple ones were lit from the start of the service and the pink one (Gaudete Sunday) was lit by members of the Sunday School after the children's address.

AFAIK the High Altar ones are beeswax - the real deal, but I understand the Advent wreath ones are "canister" candles - flammable liquid with a wick. We got a new Advent wreath a couple of years ago, as the candles on the old one kept tipping and threatening to set light to the greenery, and had to be rescued by the nearest member of the choir. [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the "little" children carried "candles" that were not lit up, but had white light in them, as they were safe, and performed about Jesus parents arriving and not having somewhere to stay before Jesus was Born.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two (white) altar candles. Two purple and one pink candle in the Advent wreath.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six on the high altar, two on the nave altar, two on the credence table, two acolyte torches, two at the lectern and three (two purple, one pink) lit on the advent wreath.

Also nightlight votives in the chapel; some still burning from the earlier service, and replenished by the 9.30 congregation.

I'm all but certain that the hanging sanctuary lamp is electric, and I think that the presence lamp above the aumbry is too.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent wreath/crown on the communion table at the front. Appropriate number of candles lit at morning and evening services.

Also about another 200 candles on various poles, plinths and platforms, currently unlit, ready for the "Carols by Candlelight" services next week.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not attend, but I can tell you that - at a minimum - there would have been two candles on the Altar... we NEVER have a service without them. Never. If the candles are not burning merrily away at least 5 mins before the service, our Sacristan throws a wobbly!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Big Six on the altar, plus the Advent wreath (2 violet and 1 rose lit). And the votives, of course, underneath the icon of Our Lady.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only three advent candles were lit at yesterday's morning service, as part oReady for the carol service

However many others were present, ready for the carol service in the evening. Each of the main windows - about eithg ot them I think - had rows of tea-lights along the sills, maybe about eight or ten each, and a candlestick with I think six or seven taller candles. There were also tealights around carious bits of church furniture (pulpiut, some side tables and so on, even the altar rail) and a few taller candl;es in various places. So I guess maybe two hundred candles - well enough to look good and shiny when lit later inthe evening.

Proper candles with wax and eicks of course, as any decent church surely should. Although I hate to say our church has succumbed to the namby-pamby fashion of using those pathetic little wafers at Communion insted of real bread, at least we stiill use real wine and have real candles and real flowers instead of the plastic ones some insane person suggested once upon a mind-rotting PCC meeting.

I did not go to the carol service, as its just too early for carols. Its not nearly Christmas yet. Next weekend maybe, but not today!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olde Sea Dog
Shipmate
# 13061

- Posted      Profile for Olde Sea Dog   Email Olde Sea Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken ...... all those typos ...... has someone slipped a little something special into your water-bowl?

--------------------
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Posts: 67 | From: The C of Consciousness - California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All proper candles. Four on the high altar, two in the Lady Chapel, two processional, the 5 Advent wreath candles and votive candles available in the side chapel. We lit the rose coloured candle on Gaudete Sunday, so there are only two candles left to light there.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All proper candles: two large on altar; three on Advent wreath (large and thick); longer lasting candles ablaze on a votive stand (in front of nothing in particular). All real.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
...pathetic little wafers...

Who was it who observed that in the CofE we eschew wee cuppies and alcohol free wine because we want to emphasise the commonality of the common cup and use the real elements as Jesus did.

Which is why we use those individual flying saucers without sherbert in them that are almost completely unlike bread.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016