homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Monastery/Big Silence

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Monastery/Big Silence
mikey mikey
Apprentice
# 17383

- Posted      Profile for mikey mikey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These two BBC documentaries were a big inspiration for me.

I was wondering if you folks had discussed them.

I was alsoe deeply taken by Finding Sanctury by Abbot Jamison.

has anybody here read his books?

--------------------
Thank youo St. Jude

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship, mikey mikey! You might want to check out this thread to discuss books that interest you.

I don't remember a discussion of The Monastery or Big Silence. You would certainly be welcome to start one here. Let us know what you like about these documentaries. Ask questions! This is a discussion board, and you will find many folks willing to engage in conversation here!

I see you have introduced yourself in the welcome thread in All Saints; that's a very good start!

Enjoy your voyage with us and feel free to PM a Host or Admin with any questions you may have. The 10 Commandments are very helpful, too! [Big Grin]

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikey mikey:
These two BBC documentaries were a big inspiration for me.

I was wondering if you folks had discussed them.

I was alsoe deeply taken by Finding Sanctury by Abbot Jamison.

has anybody here read his books?

Welcome aboard mikey mikey!

The programmes were quite an inspiration for me too - and for some others here. We've had a few discussions about these on these boards since they were aired on television, and I agree with you that "Finding Sanctuary" is an interesting and thought-provoking book. The search for periods of silence, quiet and reflection in daily life can never be a bad thing (unless, of course, it's taken to excess).

I keep meaning to read more of Fr Jamison's books, must have a look and see what else there is.

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me John Main is good too, more on finding personal silence admittedly.

I read a book review which in passing talked of a monastery without walls, or similar concept. Any more info on that anyone?

The issue I guess is connecting the monastery / convent life of the celibate with, say, the busy young mum.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
mikey mikey
Apprentice
# 17383

- Posted      Profile for mikey mikey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Welcome to the Ship, mikey mikey! You might want to check out this thread to discuss books that interest you.

I don't remember a discussion of The Monastery or Big Silence. You would certainly be welcome to start one here. Let us know what you like about these documentaries. Ask questions! This is a discussion board, and you will find many folks willing to engage in conversation here!

I see you have introduced yourself in the welcome thread in All Saints; that's a very good start!

Enjoy your voyage with us and feel free to PM a Host or Admin with any questions you may have. The 10 Commandments are very helpful, too! [Big Grin]

jedijudy
Heaven Host

Thanks for the link to the thread. That will make for good reading tonight.

I am only too happy to discuss The Monastery and The Big Silence.

I will start with the former as it was the first in a series of documentaries by the BBC: The Big Silence, The Convent, and The Retreat (Islamic School).

The Convent indeed has been discussed here and you had the posts from two of the participants. That is what brought me to SoF!

There were also spin-offs abroad: one in Australia (the Abbey) and America (The Monastery US) too, although I have not seen the latter.

So anyway, The Monastery has a website on Worth Abbey and they supply links themselves to the three part series (in 18 youtube sections) here.

All legal I may add!

[ 14. November 2012, 10:36: Message edited by: mikey mikey ]

--------------------
Thank youo St. Jude

mikey mikey
Apprentice
# 17383

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I keep meaning to read more of Fr Jamison's books, must have a look and see what else there is.

Thanks Ariel!

I strongly recommend his econd book: Finding Happiness.

[ 14. November 2012, 10:40: Message edited by: mikey mikey ]

--------------------
Thank youo St. Jude

mikey mikey
Apprentice
# 17383

quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
For me John Main is good too, more on finding personal silence admittedly.

Thanks percy, I will look into him. Perhaps drop a hint to my family about possible Xmas presents!

--------------------
Thank youo St. Jude

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Purgatory and a Heaven thread when the programme came out - they're in Oblivion somewhere and I'm procrastinating, so

The Big Silence - Purgatory thread
The Big Silence - Heaven thread

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found The Monastery very inspiring. I only caught one part of The Big Silence, and I must admit I had the uneasy feeling that the tv crew were somehow inciting or encouraging the retreatants to misbehave. I didn't like that. I suppose I may just have been indulging my deep seated mistrust of tv people.

I've read Finding Sanctuary and what I find most impressive about Fr Jamison's writing is that he knows he's writing for a wide audience, but he maintains his own Christian and Benedictine integrity.

Another Benedictine spirituality book I found very helpful was David Foster's Reading with God, which is an excellent practical introduction to the practice of Lectio Divina.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago, I went to a meditation group which was using one of John Main's books. My memories of it are a bit hazy now, but I remember being very impressed at the time, and it was a good group to belong to. I'd certainly recommend him to anyone interested in Christian meditation.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016