homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » One minute's silence is quite enough for us, say Caffe Nero

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: One minute's silence is quite enough for us, say Caffe Nero
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fuming. I've just been into a Caffe Nero not far from my workplace and seen a very dignified, black bordered notice saying "Caffe Nero will be observing One minute's silence on Sunday 11 November at 11 AM."

WTF! Can they really not be arsed to do the full two minutes? I think I am more upset by this than I would be if they didn't observe it at all. It is so shabby.

[Mad]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to Starbucks!!!

Actually, i am quite surprised they are keeping ANY silence. There was a time when the silence was moved to the nearest Sunday. keeping on the day itself became popular again after 9/11 when a new generation were forced to confront war and death afresh.

As a near-pacifist I value this pause in the secular week to think seriously about warfare and its casualties.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they forgot that the tradition was two minutes. My brain works like that sometimes, too.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it was bfore 9/11- I think after some significant anniversaries in the 90s (50th of VE/VJ Day, 80th of the Armistice). Until then it had really, as leo says, only been observed on Remembrance Sunday- which is good enough for me.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can never hear about the two minutes' silence without thinking of Orwell.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reinvention of the 11.00 on the 11th of the 11th is a bit of romantic nonsense. Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

So I just stay out of the way of people on 11th November because I don't want to be picked on by prissiness. Let's do proper Remembrance, not this tokenistic stuff.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the Two Minutes Hate, Ruth. Clearly it was inspired by the Two Minutes Silence, however. More interesting to me is how prescient Orwell was about Newspeak. Think of the term "Satnav", for example: pure Newspeak.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't you just choose to remain silent an extra minute?

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
That's the Two Minutes Hate, Ruth. Clearly it was inspired by the Two Minutes Silence, however.

Yes, I know. And I think anyone who is so upset at the thought that others will shorten the observance by half or -- hold onto your hankies, folks -- ignore it altogether would do well to reread 1984.

quote:

More interesting to me is how prescient Orwell was about Newspeak. Think of the term "Satnav", for example: pure Newspeak.

Yes, such things are doubleplusungood.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
The reinvention of the 11.00 on the 11th of the 11th is a bit of romantic nonsense. Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

So I just stay out of the way of people on 11th November because I don't want to be picked on by prissiness. Let's do proper Remembrance, not this tokenistic stuff.

I used to agree with that, bishop. Until i was faced with working class kids in my classroom after an edict from a head teacher told us to incorporate the silence in our lessons before morning break.

As a lefty union rep. I asked all sorts of questions which were not understood.

But I understood what the kids wanted. So I tried to make it some sort of secular spiritual experience and was won over by it.

Typical Church of England, I suppose!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nov 11th falls on a Sunday rhis year.

I cannot do 11/11/11th because I have two services and timing does not co=incide.

I will do Rememberance.

And I will wear a poppy put on for the Day / Occasion.

But I hate with a perfect hatred the way the BBC sanctimoniously starts the compulsory wearing of poppies 2 weeks before the event. Worse still, the BBC ensures that programmes made well in advance still insists on presenters wearing poppies. They must have done so in early October when the programmes were made.

I agree with Bishop Pete/

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

[Overused] Just to say this paragraph is not deserving to be in Hell.

Around here the 2 min thing seemed to be revived by moderate Nationalists and then went on to curry favour with the masses , well before 9/11 as I recall.
On a positive note It could be said the patriotism has been reclaimed from the union-jack waistcoat wearing football yob of the 70s.
That's as long as history is going to repeat itself . What we see now could be the 'small wars' era of 150 years ago.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wuzzamatterwi' SatNav, fercryinoutloud?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
[QUOTE] Around here the 2 min thing seemed to be revived by moderate Nationalists and then went on to curry favour with the masses , well before 9/11 as I recall.

In 1995 to be precise.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Go to Starbucks!!!

I am rarely that desperate!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
But I hate with a perfect hatred the way the BBC sanctimoniously starts the compulsory wearing of poppies 2 weeks before the event.

I agree. It's like shops that haver already started to plug Christmas. Poppies should not be worn before November 1st, and preferably not before the Sunday before 11th November.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Reuben
Shipmate
# 11361

- Posted      Profile for Reuben   Email Reuben   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the cafe's owners are Australian.

--------------------
"I got nothing." Barrie Unsworth

Posts: 227 | From: New South Wales | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Go to Starbucks!!!

No fucking way! Tax-dodging scum!

Plus I have a Costa Card [Two face]

[ 06. November 2012, 11:07: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our rector cancelled the main service on Remembrance Day (10:30 a.m.) ostensibly to encourage parishioners to attend the local Remembrance Day ceremonies. We are having our Act of Remembrance at 9 a.m. when almost nobody will bloody well be present. Many parishioners question whether she will be attending the local service or just be having an early end to her day by only taking 1 service insetead of 2. The Act of Remembrance at the 10:30 service meant the names of the war dead would be read around 11 a.m. This year I'll probably be reading them closer to 9:30. I'll be reading more names than parishioners present in the congregation. Our Rector should be called to hell for this questionable decision. If only she was on the Ship.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016