homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bishops who look like Bishops (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bishops who look like Bishops
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A comment elsewhere about the new ABC has put me in mind of Bishops who look Bishopy. Obviously this is matter of personal taste; like many others, I probably prefer the 'Old Testament prophet' look in bishops. So I wondered which Bishops, past or present, people think most look like Bishops (or sound like Bishops, or do the lambada like Bishops etc).

In another thread Aumbry suggests that Richard Chartres, Bishop of London has the right look. I'm inclined to agree, although at times he can seem a bit Doctor Who baddy (but perhaps that's not a bad thing). He certainly sounds like a Bishop.

Of a different style, Pope John Paul II looks like a rather kindly Bishop, with something of the 'country parson' about him.

Also in a very different style, I think Katharine Jefferts Schori, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church USA generally looks Bishopy. Unfortunately she sometimes finds herself in some pretty dreadful vestments, but mostly I think she looks the part.

How about you? Which Bishops look, sound, anathematise and kiss babies most in a way befitting a Bishop?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the way my bishop looks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh. Bishops who look, sound, and anathematise like bishops ought to. In my lifetime. Here are a few, some of whom I've known:
Michael Ramsey & Rowan Williams--Super holy and hairy and loveable variant.
Hugh Montefiore and Peter Selby---Aristocratic Liberal Jewish variant (bearded & cleanshaven)
Ian Ramsey and Desmond Tutu---'Very Good Thing in small package' variant.
Barbara Harris, Victoria Matthews, Mary Glasspool, and Geralyn Wolf--Female Variant.
Peter Walker and John Habgood--Scholarly variant.
Stephen Conway--Giant size variant.

Pope John XXIII--Roman Variant. [Biased]

[ 09. November 2012, 12:01: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or this member of the sub-set Strangler Bishop.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look like Jesus. Can I be a Bishop?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the Baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Or this member of the sub-set Strangler Bishop.

Is the cherub behind him signing for the hard of hearing? Or just saying "I dunno either"?
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent list, Amos. Barbara Harris in particular looks like someone who could do both 'friendly Bishop' and 'fierce Bishop', and John Habgood did a very good 'clever, but perhaps not quite in touch with reality' look.

Could Pope John XXIII have been related to the Godfather?

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Leslie Lloyd Rees, who confirmed Master and Mss S, looks like a carved saint from the facade of a cathedral (and was very charming).

Mrs. S, looking back fondly

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately (or fortunately) my diocesan Bishop still doesn't appear bishopy even when in cope and pointy hat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My bishop doesn't look as dressed up as y'all's bishops.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know who the new bish was. Thanks for giving me a reason to look him up!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
deusluxmea
Apprentice
# 15765

- Posted      Profile for deusluxmea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy looks bishopy enough, methinks

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
My bishop doesn't look as dressed up as y'all's bishops ...

What football team is he supporting in that scarf? [Devil]

Some people are definitely more episcopal than others; our bishop, while a very good man, never strikes me as being entirely comfortable in the mitre.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Some people are definitely more episcopal than others; our bishop, while a very good man, never strikes me as being entirely comfortable in the mitre.

Perhaps that would explain this. Of that group the most Bishopy looking is the one on the right, which might explain why he got the top job and the stonking gold light-sabre.

Not being comfortably in a mitre seems a common problem. I hope and trust that he is a thoroughly splendid Bishop, but my first thought on seeing photographs of this Bishop was that someone should get him to wear the mitre further forward - it's supposed to represent the tongues of fire descending at Pentecost, symbolic of his Apostolic authority - it's not a beany.

[ 10. November 2012, 06:34: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Not being comfortably in a mitre seems a common problem.

They get used to it. Here's an Archbishop for you, who I think completely looks the part.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again, the Ship of Fools front page editors have made me smile. There are a few other bishops on the born twice list as well.

Meanwhile, the Mitre is often a huge clue as to the Bishopliness of Bishops. But here are three Creamtealand Bishops looking like you don't normally see them (click each pic. to enlarge) - could you spot your bishop on holiday?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My former bishop looking fairly bishopy and my new Bishop looking pretty happy.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Meanwhile, the Mitre is often a huge clue as to the Bishopliness of Bishops. But here are three Creamtealand Bishops looking like you don't normally see them

They still look bishopy in a sombrero. Add a poncho and things might be different.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
My bishop doesn't look as dressed up as y'all's bishops ...

What football team is he supporting in that scarf? [Devil]

One would hope Florida. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Michael looks the real deal, Chorister. He'd pass as a Bishop in any Identity Parade!

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always think our Bishop looks the part, and a wonderful man he is,too! Possibly not the best picture of him, though.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also small terrifying crozier-chewing bishop.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the Royal Opera revived Pfitzner's Palestrina in 2001, the role of Cardinal Borromeo was sung by John Tomlinson. It looked as though Richard Chartres was moonlighting

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah, right. While we're on the subject of terrifying bishops:

Intimidating Bishop

Same again

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Looking through a gallery of Archbishops of Canterbury, I can't help thinking that '1660 - William Juxon' has a certain 'something'. But perhaps I'm just being reminded of Dick Dastardly.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Intimidating Bishop

Same again

Another

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just rather sad that I will no longer look like the AoC (not that I ever had the eyebrows for it!).

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Intimidating Bishop

Same again

Another
Intimidating? Really? Hardly, at least when compared with our friend here.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not forgetting the Bishop of No Fixed Abode.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Looking through a gallery of Archbishops of Canterbury, I can't help thinking that '1660 - William Juxon' has a certain 'something'. But perhaps I'm just being reminded of Dick Dastardly.

Gilbert Sheldon 1663 looks like a Restoration rake. One would like to think 'surely not' but according to Wikipaedia
quote:
Sheldon is mentioned in Pepys Diary who relates a story from his "Cozen Roger" that"...the Archbishop of Canterbury that now is, do keep a wench, and that he is a very wencher as can be and tells us that is publicly known that Sir Charles Sidley had got away one of the Archbishop's wenches from him..."
As for Cardinal Pole, he looks like 'nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You wouldn't want to meet Matthew Parker in an alleyway on a dark night either.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long tradition of bishops keeping prostitutes - the Bishop of Winchester's palace in Southwark had a graveyard for prostitutes, the Winchester geese

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My bishop says "Hiyeeee!"

Getting down wiv da yoof

Caption Competition

Before he started bishopping

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon Sudbury was no cutie either, even before he got his head chopped off.

On the other hand Mellitus must have been a sweetie, whilst Tatwine sounds like something you get in Eccles...

AG

[ 10. November 2012, 20:56: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Bishop (with "friend").

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Do you think he might have been frightened in some dark alleyway by a Presiding Bishop?

[Slight neatening of code.]

[ 10. November 2012, 23:57: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure exactly what to say about whether our Archbishop looks priestly, let alone 'bishopy', so I'll let the picture do the telling!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
personally I simply cannot accept the new AB of C, because he does not wear purple tonsure shirts (well not in the pics I've seen).

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
picture

I'm sure that guy was trying to sell me a used Ford the other day

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

OTOH I've always liked this dude, if only because I've had to pronounce his name on radio (oh, and in an interview every time he said "fact" his accent turned it into "fucked" [Hot and Hormonal] ).

Whether though he looks suited (hahah) to the job I am unsure. Statistically his is probably a more typical visage than most now eligible to parade the halls of Lambeth.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
picture

I'm sure that guy was trying to sell me a used Ford the other day
I don't buy much that fellow says, [Big Grin] and wouldn't buy a used car. Probably driven by a little old lady... Do women drive?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were lots of comments about Justin Duckworth's appearance when he was appointed Bishop of Wellington, but he still manages to look pretty bishoppy with all his Bishop's gear on.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Gilbert Sheldon 1663 looks like a Restoration rake.

Not however in his monument in Croydon Minster.

[Extraneous code removed. - Ariel.]

[ 11. November 2012, 10:24: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's Bishop Chartres of London and a picture in that of him - Richard does usually dress that way.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
There were lots of comments about Justin Duckworth's appearance when he was appointed Bishop of Wellington, but he still manages to look pretty bishoppy with all his Bishop's gear on.

Gosh, a Bishop whose mitre doesn't need fanons, because he provides his own!

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see you all and raise Dr. Sheepshanks..

Bishop of Norwich and noted Arctic explorer, if you can imagine such a thing.

Here he is in gaiters, for extra fun.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how bishoppy these shades are?
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Do you think he might have been frightened in some dark alleyway by a Presiding Bishop?

[Slight neatening of code.]

Actually, that bishop seems to be saying 'Derp!'

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought that Bishop Andrew looked convincingly bishoppy.

Bishop O'Rorke pulled it off too.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I usually think of bishops of the classis Staunton design: a bit taller than a pawn with a slanted cut across the top.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016