homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hunting Parson

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hunting Parson
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did any shipmates come across the obituary of the Reverend Rex Handcock last week? It was hilarious. Apparently he spent his last few years in an enormous house with a butler.

'The Rev Rex Hancock, who has died aged 84, was fond of saying: “The Church, the cavalry and the chase are my three loves — but I never know in which order.” '

By the look of his photograph he must have been a very warm person. Not sure if this link will work, but it can be pasted and researched.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9577432/The-Rev-Rex-Hancock.html#

I hope he is enjoying heaven with Nimrod.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm afraid the selection systems today would weed out anybody as interesting long before he got near to receiving the episcopal laying on of hands.

Truly, the corporate aspiration of the modern C of E is to be the bland leading the bland....

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile]

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What an incredible middle name: Legassicke!

He sounds the sort of cleric who is the antithesis of everything I believe in: pro-blood-sports, rolling in money, probably a Tory voter (but of the sort who believes that even old Etonians like Cameron are dangerously lefty), probably never opened let alone used Common Worship.... But seeing his photo and reading the obituary makes me warm to him. He seems like a human being and a true incarnation of God's love (to all except foxes, no doubt). It's a great shame that the Church is being run by bureaucrats and managers these days.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
... probably a Tory voter (but of the sort who believes that even old Etonians like Cameron are dangerously lefty)...

I'm glad you said 'probably', because I think the recent voting habits of that generation might be surprising.

My brother remembers watching the Conservative Party Conference on TV with our late father (a life-long Tory) about ten years ago. Dad watched the proceedings with a thoughtful look on his face, turned to my brother and declared that the party was apparently now led by a bunch of greedy, half-witted thugs and that he would never vote for them again.

He didn't, and I don't think he was unique.

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Oferyas said. While my Mum was the classic working-class Tory, Dad was a bit more considered and detested what Ted Heath called the 'Unacceptable face of capitalism'.

I don't know if he ever voted for Margaret Thatcher: he probably didn't vote at all by then.

[ 06. October 2012, 22:20: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a lovely obituary.

I wonder what critical are used by the obituary pages editors in selecting whose obituary is published.

I am pleased this obituary was published, but also wonder why some clergy are included and some are not.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a cracking obituary that is. And what a cracking eccentric the subject must have been. Thank you for drawing our attention to it.

I wonder when Trinity College, Cambridge gave up its pack of hounds? Surely it can't still have them ... can it?

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It'd be amusing to be in his congregation - receiving communion on a Sunday after leading his hounds astray with garlic spray with the Sabs on the Saturday.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure I'd have loved a malt with this dude, but at the risk of being all purgatorial, rararah jolly bedsox is all very well but where is the christ of the cross in all this?

I can't necessarily extrapolate from the gospels or from the obituary that God is agin fox hunting, though I suspect tearing animals limb from limb is not the highest priority of the Creator God, for whom one of the greatest prophet's beatific vision was of lambs lying down with lions, but somewhere in all this, beyond the bally bedsox, I find a vacuum. Nothing. Nada. Just a jolly nice fellow. Unless you happen to be a fox. Or a Whig.

And, as I'm a universalist, I'm sure I'll enjoy that celestial malt with him one day. But in the mean time I sense this form of Christianity has fuck all to say about a child being shot by the Taliban for professing justice, or refugees dying in leaky boats on the way to Australia, or anything much at all, really.

Rararah jolly coconuts and all, but, you know? What a waste of a life.

[ 10. October 2012, 11:17: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know. He may have been a very good pastor rather than a prophet. He may have been able to open doors to some people that other clergy might have struggled to reach. Can't tell from the obit.

BTW Google tells me that Trinity Foot Beagles are still going, tho' they amalgamated with another pack in 2003.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I don't know. He may have been a very good pastor rather than a prophet. He may have been able to open doors to some people that other clergy might have struggled to reach. Can't tell from the obit.

BTW Google tells me that Trinity Foot Beagles are still going, tho' they amalgamated with another pack in 2003.

But the beagles aren't officially associated with either the college or the university. There is the Lake Hunt founded by G. M. Trevelyan later Master of Trinity which I believe is still going on.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I'm sure I'd have loved a malt with this dude, but at the risk of being all purgatorial, rararah jolly bedsox is all very well but where is the christ of the cross in all this?

I can't necessarily extrapolate from the gospels or from the obituary that God is agin fox hunting, though I suspect tearing animals limb from limb is not the highest priority of the Creator God, for whom one of the greatest prophet's beatific vision was of lambs lying down with lions, but somewhere in all this, beyond the bally bedsox, I find a vacuum. Nothing. Nada. Just a jolly nice fellow. Unless you happen to be a fox. Or a Whig.

And, as I'm a universalist, I'm sure I'll enjoy that celestial malt with him one day. But in the mean time I sense this form of Christianity has fuck all to say about a child being shot by the Taliban for professing justice, or refugees dying in leaky boats on the way to Australia, or anything much at all, really.

Rararah jolly coconuts and all, but, you know? What a waste of a life.

For twenty years he was a Chaplain in the forces, usually intensely pastoral and caring work.

Where indeed is Christ on the Cross in our lives in the sense you mean it.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, whenever I am tempted to despise some of these seemingly complacent establishment 'comfortable' Anglican clerics I think of Zechariah, father of John the Baptist. Who I imagine as being a cathedral canon with little imagination, enjoying the luxury of his near sinecure, who nevertheless fulfilled his duties and was in the right place at the right time for the birth of the herald of God's Messiah.

Who knows how many souls this man may have helped towards salvation by a kindly word, a gentle smile, or even a self-deprecatory quip. And very possibly more dramatic and prophetic actions than ever we might be capable of, even if he didn't make a song and dance about it.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Who knows how many souls this man may have helped towards salvation by a kindly word, a gentle smile, or even a self-deprecatory quip.

Or even just by showing them that Christians don't have to be joyless sods forever banging on about social bloody injustice...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Who knows how many souls this man may have helped towards salvation by a kindly word, a gentle smile, or even a self-deprecatory quip. And very possibly more dramatic and prophetic actions than ever we might be capable of, even if he didn't make a song and dance about it.

The actions being because he couldn't speak? [Two face]
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Who knows how many souls this man may have helped towards salvation by a kindly word, a gentle smile, or even a self-deprecatory quip.

Or even just by showing them that Christians don't have to be joyless sods forever banging on about social bloody injustice...
Well said, sir!

A chaplain in the forces for twenty years will have seen many sad things and encountered many pastoral situations.

Who knows what fruit some of his kind words or actions bore.

Maybe he just introduced one man to The Lord... Like St Andrew did.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oferyas:
I'm afraid the selection systems today would weed out anybody as interesting long before he got near to receiving the episcopal laying on of hands.

Truly, the corporate aspiration of the modern C of E is to be the bland leading the bland....

And they shall fall into the ditch as surely as the blind, I am sorry to say!

I am afraid that as a bishop I will take my chances and continue to ordain folks who are, in the eyes of modern church officialdom, nutcases simply because God is not an Human Resources Manager, but is looking for folks who will advance His kingdom.

PD

[ 12. October 2012, 06:54: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

It is an interesting point. One does wonder if some of the great priests of the Church of England would have got through the modern selection process.

I sincerely hope the process allows for mavericks and characters - such as Chad Varah (who believed in reincarnation) and I am sure we can all think of unorodox priests who have done great works.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We expect clergy to have a leisure activity to help them remain sane. They're always telling us what football teams they support. It's meant to show they're normal.

I suppose I'm out of date. If it's fine to fill the roof with a model railway or support Arsenal, what really is the difference - provided they can afford it and don't break the law as it now is - if they hunt?

As for cavalry, some 45 years ago a vicar told me that when he was at University about 1930, he was in the OTC cavalry section. They used to go out once a week and practice how to charge.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the little anecdotes included in the Obit. (and get the impression there were many to choose from). My favourite is about christenings - if the parents couldn't think of a name for their baby he would get out the Kennel Stud Handbook.
What an amazing character he must have been!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not at all a fan of hunting, but the photo shows such a warmhearted man. One of the most telling comments in the whole piece is this: 'Hancock was generous with both his time and his home...'

This shows the measure of the man, I think.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
We expect clergy to have a leisure activity to help them remain sane. They're always telling us what football teams they support. It's meant to show they're normal.

I suppose I'm out of date. If it's fine to fill the roof with a model railway or support Arsenal, what really is the difference - provided they can afford it and don't break the law as it now is - if they hunt?

I think the difference for me is that I would be uneasy taking spiritual direction or oversight from someone who kills things for fun.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
he's just how I pictured Major Pettigrew.
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

I think the difference for me is that I would be uneasy taking spiritual direction or oversight from someone who kills things for fun.
While I can certainly see what you are saying it raises a few problems for me. Would you want to know what a spiritual oversight person gets up to before being at ease about receiving guidance.

It would be difficult to draw the line. Would one be happy with such oversight from one who supported hunting but didn't actually do it?

I don't know, and I am not criticising what you say, I just feel it raises other issues too.

[ 13. November 2012, 16:20: Message edited by: Percy B ]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Shipmate
# 76

Oh it does, but what can you do? It's not like I think that anything he says is automatically bollocks, but I'd be appending "but dude, you kill things for fun" to everything he said.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh it does, but what can you do? It's not like I think that anything he says is automatically bollocks, but I'd be appending "but dude, you kill things for fun" to everything he said.

If that's your prejudice, would you be equally accepting of those who append to the spiritual oversight of others, "but dude, you put one of your body parts in some very peculiar places"?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

If that's your prejudice, would you be equally accepting of those who append to the spiritual oversight of others, "but dude, you put one of your body parts in some very peculiar places"?
Not up to me what other people are comfortable with. I'd consider my "prejudice" a darned sight more rational, but then I would, wouldn't I? But it really doesn't matter much; we'd both be in the same boat - I'm free to find a church where the minister doesn't treat creation as something for him to destroy for fun, and this putative person is free to find a church with a straight vicar. The main difference is I'm not calling for huntsmen to be banned from ordination, although I'm perplexed as to exactly how they'd square it.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[gentle message]
Just wanted to add a reminder here that we're in Heaven! Let's be sure that none of the dead animals are horses. [Biased] And Purgatory might be a better board to discuss some of the issues mentioned here!
[/gentle message]

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I've often wondered what the criteria are for obituaries, and in particular clergy who are not senior clergy.

I am pleased to read this obituary, but I do wonder why it in particular was published. Is it that some are submitted to the obituaries editor who decides.

Whatever it is good to have put before us idiosyncratic and virtuous clergy who have not gone down the modern manager route. It makes for more interesting reading!

[ 23. November 2012, 21:16: Message edited by: Percy B ]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Percy B, your above post is raising exactly the same point as you did on 9 October.

If the past six weeks haven't provided an answer, then I doubt if the future ones will either.

I think it's time to stable this mare.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016