homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How did you come to be on The Ship? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How did you come to be on The Ship?
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being the time of year for feasting and merrymaking and nostalgia-induced indigestion and what-not, I have recently found myself pondering how it is that I came to be aboard this fine vessel.

I believe I joined SoF via the Mystery Worshiper bizeroonie many moons ago, when I was but a young GLE reading some church magazine or other. I was strangely intrigued by what I read in the MW article, and investigated.

And I've been heading downhill ever since [Big Grin]

Anyway, how did you find us?

Did a friend point you in the direction, saying, "So, I think you're much better suited to this kind of Christian community, dear backsliding friend of mine"?

Did you happen to wander aimlessly aboard after googletronning "Christian" "Humour" "Satire" "Bunny with an axe"?

Was your minister at the time, by some miracle of the Lord, already a Shippie, and recognised your lack and want, pastorally directing you hither?

What's your tale? I'm interested to hear it.

And some inspired musical Shippie might even put our tales to music, or our Ship's bard (whosoever that may be at present) might compose a lilting limmerick for our edification, if we're very good.

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone posted something I thought was a little odd and I wanted to comment. Also, my ISP had dumped newsgroups / Usenet. Needed an out, a place to argue inanely about things I half know with words I half understand with people I don't know. It makes me feel moderately lovely to be partly right some of the time, because I am mostly wrong most other places in my life. I also like boats.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd been reading MW reports for a while (not sure how I first found those). I then decided to sign up to be a MWer and thought I should check out these bulletin board things in case they had any tips for how to write good reports. Still waiting, btw!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did I come to the Ship? Three simple words that tend to come up just about this time of year: Gadgets For God. I forget what I was searching for (possibly the Funebri Coffin Calendar), but I ended up linked to the annual Kitschmas list in Gadgets For God--and became hooked on the site. I lurked for a year or so and then came on board.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
Was your minister at the time, by some miracle of the Lord, already a Shippie, and recognised your lack and want, pastorally directing you hither?

Well, not quite. I came across a recording of a talk Freddy gave in which he commented that one of his favorite activities was participating in ship discussions. I knew immediately that I had to join and I have not been disappointed. I've learned a lot of value to me about how other people see things and about how and when to express my own ideas (the latter in no small measure because of a couple of posts that I came to regret later). I hope I can continue to learn as much in the future (preferably without the need for regret [Biased] ).

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was Gadgets for God. Can't remember where I first saw the link but I found an awful guitar somewhere with scripture verses and stuff written all over it, and had to join the ship to post it on G4G.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A looooong time ago (see my registration date), when I was naive enough to believe in spam and urban myths etc., I signed up for a newsletter which gave the low-down on new, interesting websites. They mentioned the mystery worshipper, which I thought was such a cool idea that I signed up straight away.
I have to confess to not reading more than two or three mystery worshipper reports, but I was very taken by the bulletin boards, and my post count does not in any way represent accurately my reading activity.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jonah the Whale:...and my post count does not in any way represent accurately my reading activity.
Careful now, JtW... We don't want any "my post-count is bigger than your post-count" [Biased]

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief has that title anyway. Nobody else comes close. [Smile]

I'm like Jonah. I received a link to one of the Ship's main page features. I can't recall exactly which one at the moment(G4G, MW, Small Fire, Loose Cannons, whatever). I know it wasn't Rev. Gerald Ambulance (who needs to provide some new material, by the way). That would have been way back in 1999 or 2000, predating the free boards. As a poor recent graduate, I didn't join up until after the rebuild making the boards free.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was bullied into joining by a certain Canadian friend of mine and have not regretted it since and we are still friends.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a radio program that mentioned something about the Church of Fools, and decided to check it out. And subsequently landed here. And (mostly) lurked for a long time. Then I started posting more.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember how I came across it, but they had me with the GIN thread. I was captivated by this bunch of witty, intelligent and insightful people who were talking about things I cared about (erm, beyond GIN), often at a level well over my head.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I followed a link from another satire site. I think it might have been Landover baptist, and the link in question read "These people are definitely troublemakers" or something like that.

I liked the articles and was drawn into the caption contest a couple of times, and one day I saw a link to "community" somewhere on the front page.

There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur, and the level of intelligence expressed-- even in Hell-- impressed me. So I kept reading. I lurked for a long time, maybe a year.I remember when 9/11 happened, I first called my then-husband and went form that straight to the boards. I spent the day checking the NYC DOT cameras and refreshing the message boards.
And then at some point I signed up, screwed up my cookies, pissed off David by emailing him for help, further pissed him off by mistaking him for Chastmastr (I basically wrote him a fan note aimed at Chast.) and my first post was a gushy, fawning note aimed at "that kind, courteous person named Erin who helped me with my password. What a sweetheart!"

And I think it was Laura who was right behind that post with, "Isn't it nice when they are new and innocent?" [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was an accident of net searching that found the site for me. Things are vague after this time, but I think I entered a term like Christian humour and, believe it or not, the Ship was an early hit. Certainly it was the best of those hits, in 2003 or whatever.

I signed up during the 2004 incarnation oF Tits'n'Testicles. That occasional board has not been repeated.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
Kelly: I liked the articles and was drawn into the caption contest a couple of times, and one day I saw a link to "community" somewhere on the front page.
Oh yes! Me too, now that you remind me! It was definitely the Caption Comp that ensnared me! I must have wandered onto the website via the MW article I mentioned in my OP, thence to the boards... ah, memories...

quote:
Sioni: I signed up during the 2004 incarnation oF Tits'n'Testicles. That occasional board has not been repeated.
Before my time, but somehow I *know* I've missed something special [Big Grin]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My priest got me hooked on G4G and Signs and Blunders. I never even looked at the boards for a couple of years.

Then along came the Laugh Judgement and I had to sign up because they'd missed my favorite faith-based joke.

Those are still some of my most often used jokes. Golden stuff.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gadgets for God link. Wandered around and found the boards, dove right in fairly straight away. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it fairly soon.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at Mass one Sunday and our priest mentioned the Mystery Worshipper and asked us what we thought the report on our church would be.

I'm waiting, but it's not turned up yet.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was 1998, and I was preparing to move cross-pond. I thought it would be good to know what the church was like.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
It was 1998, and I was preparing to move cross-pond. I thought it would be good to know what the church was like.

And you still came!

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Through St Pixels, which was a similar board, but with online services - nightly, if I remember correctly.

St Ps was born out of the Ship, but they veered far too con-evo for me.

My avatar here is my old St Pixels 'face' (you could make your own from a selection of features - which was great fun, I even bought yellow beads to match for meets!)

St Pixels is now a facebook app. They still have services and 'coffee mornings' IIRC.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back in the autumn of 2000 I was browsing the Affirming Catholicism website. On their links page, I found a link to this place. I clicked on it and I've been here ever since.

[ 06. December 2012, 08:06: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buggered if I can remember; it was that long ago. About 1998 IIRC.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I think I said said in my intro on the Newbies thread, I found the Ship through a rather unusual route. I was searching the web for info on the Catholic Apostolic Church, because an older (now long-dead) relative was a member of it, and my mother and I had become curious about what it all meant. And here I found (in Limbo, I'm so glad you can still find even Limbo-consigned threads via searching) this amazing in-depth discussion all about the Catholic Apostolic Church with comments from people who had the most fascinating and arcane bits of knowledge not only about the CAC but clearly about lots of other things as well, plus wit and wisdom.

Who are these people, I wondered? I want in!

And I'm in, was welcomed, and I love it! Thank you, Shipmates. I am so glad I found the Ship.

BUT. I am spending far too much time here!!! I call myself a writer, but really, does writing limericks in Circus and ponderous "thoughts" in Purg really count??!! I might have to lock myself away from Ship access for certain parts of the day...and I dare not enter the poll about how many times a day one visits the Ship!

--------------------
Pondering.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was bullied into joining by a certain Canadian friend of mine and have not regretted it since and we are still friends.

Someone, somewhere, recommended the site to me (odd, because, AFAIK they never joined here themselves). I took a look, killed myself laughing at Crappy Choruses, and thought Wodders would enjoy it too. We joined two days and a few numbers apart. He, I note, is still whinging about his twisted arm.

All that said, he has double my number of posts.

We're friends? [Paranoid]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was being bullied at work because of my beliefs by my newly-converted Christian employer and I came here looking for ammunition to throw back at him when he started (you know the kind of stuff about glasses, polycotton and burning oxen). When I found some interesting stuff, some funny stuff and some really downright infuriating stuff I decided to stay. I think I only de-lurked after the end of my contract, when I stopped feeling under fire.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I was just wandering around the web and happened to come across the Ship.

Mind you, it probably isn't surprising that I should find the Ship as the internet was much smaller in those days - you could drive from one side to the other in about 20 minutes. Then they started all the building work on the outskirts and now it's just one big sprawl. It's not like the old days - you knew your neighbours and you could leave your home page unlocked if you went out. People looked out for each other then. Now it's all trendy blogs and pavement comment pages. Sometimes I feel like a stranger in my own cyberweb.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother was already a member and suggested I have a look. I looked, I liked, the rest is history.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

Is your bro still posting, Marvin?

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must have been the MW reports. I still assess all our services at St. Loony & The Jam Doughnut on those terms and sometimes I say to Mr. S as we waddle home 'Glad the Mystery Worshipper wasn't there today!'

But I lurked for - honestly - years before I was forced to post 'You can't hang a man with a wooden leg'. Can't even remember why. And I lurked for so long because I just knew I would spend far too long on here. [Killing me] I was right.

Mrs. S, rich in self-knowledge

(eta - drat I missed my 250th post!)

[ 06. December 2012, 11:32: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I cam via MW too - the church I was working at got Mystery Worshipped. I came on to check the report out, read dozens more reports, saw the forums, and I've not done a day's work since. [Big Grin]

That's how I found the boards, but I joined because of Pyx_e. I thought any community that has people like that as a part of it, I want in.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gadgets for God, through a small ad in Private Eye. In those days, the boards weren't free, except for one, if I remember correctly, which seemed to deal almost exclusively with the minutiae of Anglican vestments. I lurked for a while, finding it altogether less entertaining than the G4G, being bemused and not particularly interested by most of what I saw, but there were some threads and flashes of humour which kept me just interested enough to hang around.

When the boards went free in 2001 the atmosphere lightened immediately, and I joined up and loved it. There was an energy and freshness about it, and a creativity and sparkle that you tend to find at the start of new projects. That has pretty much settled down now; time passes, people change, develop, maybe move on. We may have lost that initial impetus of creativity and sparkle but there does seem to be more of a sense of community.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly:
quote:
There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur
I remember that thread! Haven't thought about it for years, but it all comes flooding back now.

Anyway, my way, like so many others, was Gadgets for God. What I can't remember is how I found that. [Confused]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd heard about MW reports and decided to do one from Cairo Quakers.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
Is your bro still posting, Marvin?

Not really, no.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There was an argument going in Hell at the time about the use of the word "welsh" as a slur
I think that might have been Welsh with a C. I vaguely remember someone using the word and getting immediately jumped on by half a dozen others. Though that might have ben a different thread.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recommend from the wife c2002

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
I think that might have been Welsh with a C. I vaguely remember someone using the word and getting immediately jumped on by half a dozen others. Though that might have ben a different thread.
Was that at about the time Erin banned the name of a certain Welsh university town?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I followed a link from another satire site. I think it might have been Landover baptist, and the link in question read "These people are definitely troublemakers" or something like that.

Very similar to how I found the Ship! I was reading 'The American Organist', and the president at the time, Fred Swann, ranted about a Mystery Worship that was just so unfair, wah, wah, wah, about some church or other. That of course piqued my interest (there are other people like me?) and I checked it out. Like others, I found the boards, lurked for a while, and have been here for over eleven years now.

Oh, and I see one of my co-hosts is about to have post number 18,000! Congrats, Ariel!

[Errant comma. There are probably others. Good thing I can edit here as much as I want.]

[ 06. December 2012, 12:18: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In those days, the boards weren't free, except for one, if I remember correctly, which seemed to deal almost exclusively with the minutiae of Anglican vestments.

That would have been the Mystery Worshipper board. Small Fire and E-Pistles were free too.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I started reading this thread, thought 'Hmm ... what is my Ship story?' - and only then did I notice I've been here more that 9 years! [Eek!]

Back in summer 2003 there was a spat - or it may have been a kerfuffle - I'm not sure it could have been called a furore - at Manchester Cathedral about a certain American bishop being invited to the Lesbian & Gay Christian Movement's annual meeting. Or rather, not being invited. Or something like that.

Anyway, I saw that someone involved had mentioned online somewhere that there was a discussion about it running on Ship of Fools. So I came, I saw, I posted, I stayed. In fact I'm pretty sure that first post was on a Hell thread, which doesn't often bode well, but did for me.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
Was that at about the time Erin banned the name of a certain Welsh university town?
No, Erin's banning of 'Cardiff' came earlier, when we had a powerful bunch of Cardiff people on the boards having conversations almost unintelligible to anyone else. IIRC--eta it was Cardiff, and not Swansea wasn't it? Wood would know.

[ 06. December 2012, 12:52: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Buggered if I can remember; it was that long ago. About 1998 IIRC.

Ditto. I can’t remember either, but it was around the same time. And, other than the time they charged for membership, I’ve never left. (Which is scary [Eek!] ).

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either on or shortly before my date of joining, I was reading the wikipedia article on "Liberal Christianity", and under their "external links" they had a link to something the wikipedian had called a "liberal Christian website". Which turned out to be the Ship.

Checked it out, liked what I saw, joined up.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I came across a reference to the 'bearded bishops' discussion. I'm not a Christian but I do have a beard and we barbarians have to stick together. Of course, now the job's gone to a skin-chin I may have to leave.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend mentioned the ship on another discussion board.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I followed a link (from a newspaper report) to a report about gold fillings, and another one a few months later to the Mystery Worshipper feature (or was it the other way around??). I guess in those days I was very new to the internet as a whole, still finding my feet, and so was on the Ship as an 'occasional lurker'. But I didn't become a member or post anything until the boards were all free. Being a lurker for a while is a good thing as it gives you the chance to get acquainted with what you are joining before launching in at full pelt - a pity some apprentices don't heed that recommendation today!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Googled "Christian discussion boards".

The result held my attention because I had noted it advertised previously in my diocesan magazine.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was around '98 I'd guess--before the big board revamp (the first big board revamp). I was searching the web for articles about why you frequently would see cassette tape strewn along the side of freeways, which took me to the old Urban Myths board.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was actually looking for some information on a ship I once sailed on which was quarantined off the coast of Costa Rica.

I saw a draft medical report later which stated that most of the crew acted insane and demented.

Thinking that the Ship of Fools was a reference to that event I opened the page and lurked for a while.

Noticing everybody on here was sane, rational and logical, I signed up.

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016