homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Another school shooting (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Another school shooting
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been another fucking school shooting in America. USA Today How long will it take before they realise that if you make guns available people get shot. Children as young as five too.

Bastard gun control laws.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The counter gun control argument comes down to "then only criminals will have guns". Seems to me we'd have quite a lot fewer shootings then.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly Connecticut needs to start arming its schoolchildren. If those fourth-graders had been armed, they could have protected themselves.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And already the "not the time to discuss" statements are being issued. If not now, when? Obviously never.

--------------------
Siegfried

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bulletheads claim it's not the fault of the guns or the good, decent, Christian gun-owners, but the crazies. But they fight tooth and nail against laws like background checks which could help to keep guns out of the hands of the crazies. Giving lie to the sincerity of this and every other argument they make.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ten years since the film 'Bowling for Columbine'.

No lessons have been learned.

None.

[Votive] [Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
And already the "not the time to discuss" statements are being issued. If not now, when? Obviously never.

Has any of them yet said that it was done by a "liberal" in order to increase sympathy for gun control?

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

and if you dig deep enough, you get the folks who want to be sure they can defend themselves when the government comes after them. Oh wait--that doesn't take much digging at all. See "Second Amendment Remedies" and so on.

--------------------
Siegfried

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

When grenade launchers are outlawed, only outlaws will have grenade launchers.

Grenade launchers don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horrible, heartbreaking. From reports over here, sounds like another heavily armed "lone nut".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Horrible, heartbreaking. From reports over here, sounds like another heavily armed "lone nut".

We have an unending supply.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naw the scape goats probably going to be violent computers games again. The fact that this turned out to be a lie last time didn't stop them reporting thus.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
Naw the scape goats probably going to be violent computers games again. The fact that this turned out to be a lie last time didn't stop them reporting thus.

Not as likely, as the reports are that the shooter was an adult--possibly a parent.

--------------------
Siegfried

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newest reports say the shooter was 20 years old, so definitely it was violent video games.
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears two people were involved. At the high school my wife is retiring from today there is usually only one armed guy there so two would overwhelm him right off the bat. It's a shame that it is against the law for trained teachers and other school personnel to be armed and that the children are left as sitting ducks.

In China it appears the preferred way to attack school children is with a knife.

So far the killing of 42 with bombs in 1927 is still the record in the US.

But, if the problem is really guns then we need to disarm the Secret Service and the Capital Police.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've retracted the two person theory. Evidently, the shooter killed one of his parents in New Jersey before setting off for Connecticut. They are saying that he had ties to the school (parent? who knows?) and that most of the fatalities occurred in one classroom.

Yes, I'm pissed off about the lax gun laws that allow anyone to act out their violent fantasies, but I'm also pissed about our attitudes toward mental illness.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Really?

(xposted--I'm in stunned disbelief at Mere Nick's post)

[ 14. December 2012, 18:28: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
It's a shame that it is against the law for trained teachers and other school personnel to be armed and that the children are left as sitting ducks.

Fuck the assertion that the answer to gun violence is to arm everyone. All this would have done is double the casualty count. The shooter still would have had the element of surprise. Arming teachers would have introduced a continual danger that a teacher's gun would be misused by kids.

[ 14. December 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Singer-songwriter Cheryl Wheeler says it better than I could.

The Second Amendment right movement/NRA is one of the many things that I am still struggling to understand about America.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

That's because it was made by a Goddamn Commie.

It's about time people stopped dismissing arguments because of the writers politics and discussed what they actually have to say.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Brit, my thoughts went straight to the Dunblane school massacre and now I am knocked sideways by anger and grief.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
quote:
It's a shame that it is against the law for trained teachers and other school personnel to be armed and that the children are left as sitting ducks.

Fuck the assertion that the answer to gun violence is to arm everyone. All this would have done is double the casualty count. The shooter still would have had the element of surprise. Arming teachers would have introduced a continual danger that a teacher's gun would be misused by kids.
No one made that assertion. I said arm properly trained individuals such as some teachers and other personnel. My wife was a teacher. I'd rather her have the ability to defend herself then have to wait for cops. But cops must be bad, too, since they carry guns and the gun is the problem.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't bear to look at the pictures of the parents hugging their children and taking them home, knowing that there are those who won't get to do that.

Is the freedom to own assault weapons really worth the sacrifice of these lives? [Mad] Yes, the gunman is to blame, but someone made the guns, someone sold them to him, someone sold him the ammo -- they are all complicit. Yes, knives and cars can also cause death, but their primary purposes are not lethal. The primary purpose for assault weapons is to kill people.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
No one made that assertion. I said arm properly trained individuals such as some teachers and other personnel.
Which in most cases wouldn't make a difference. Unless the teacher has a gun in his/her hand ready to shoot, someone who walks into a school would have had the element of surprise.

quote:
My wife was a teacher. I'd rather her have the ability to defend herself then have to wait for cops. But cops must be bad, too, since they carry guns and the gun is the problem.
This is one of the stupidest things anyone has ever written on SOF (and that is saying alot). It's the easy availablility of guns that are the problem. It's that any one can get their hands one one without a background check; without questions; without psychological tests that is the problem.

Cops go through psychological tests, continual monitoring and evaluation and ongoing training you fucking moron.

[ 14. December 2012, 18:43: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
No one made that assertion. I said arm properly trained individuals such as some teachers and other personnel.
Which in most cases wouldn't make a difference. Unless the teacher has a gun in his/her hand ready to shoot, someone who walks into a school would have had the element of surprise.
Only in that particular classroom.

quote:
My wife was a teacher. I'd rather her have the ability to defend herself then have to wait for cops. But cops must be bad, too, since they carry guns and the gun is the problem.
This is one of the stupidest things anyone has ever written on SOF (and that is saying alot). It's the easy availablility of guns that are the problem. It's that any one can get their hands one one without a background check; without questions; without psychological tests that is the problem.

Cops go through psychological tests, continual monitoring and evaluation and ongoing training you fucking moron.
[/QUOTE]

Only a fucking moron thinks they can keep guns out of the hands of someone who really wants one, you asshole.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Yeah, because children caught in the cross-fire, bullets flying from both directions, are far less likely to be shot than children only being shot at from one side.

And teachers never lose it, so arming them presents no danger. Nor is it ever possible for a schoolchild to get one of the teacher's guns.

You really are fucked up. You will say anything to defend guns. It's like they're your god.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
Only a fucking moron thinks they can keep guns out of the hands of someone who really wants one, you asshole.
And only someone with shit for brains thinks that making it more difficult won't reduce the likelihood of people resorting to gun violence, idiot.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:

Civilized nations manage. Someday perhaps the US will join them. Not that I'm holding my breath.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
Singer-songwriter Cheryl Wheeler says it better than I could.

The Second Amendment right movement/NRA is one of the many things that I am still struggling to understand about America.

I understand it on the basis that had the ordinary citizens been armed 250 years ago there would never have been an independent America. But that was then and this is now.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Civilized nations manage. Someday perhaps the US will join them. Not that I'm holding my breath.
No matter where you are you can get one if you really want it just like booze and dope.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Would you care to accept the possession of nuclear weapons by Iran, North Korea, Israel, Palestine and whoever is in charge in Somalia this week? All nations have the right to defend themselves.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

People will still have accidents so why have traffic laws? People will still smoke cigarettes so why restrict their sale? People will still take crystal meth, so why not let every corner store sell it? Underage kids will still drink alcohol, so why not serve it in school cafeterias?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Would you care to accept the possession of nuclear weapons by Iran, North Korea, Israel, Palestine and whoever is in charge in Somalia this week? All nations have the right to defend themselves.
Nuclear weapons don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You don't get it. Someone flips and loses it - a gun is handy, they use it. If there is no handy gun they won't, they'll use something far less damaging. These people are not in their right mind. It isn't a case of 'really wanting' a gun.

Guns shouldn't be available except to the police and the military. And not to the police as routine.

Sport guns should be kept on site and under lock and key.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, it is not an instantly solved problem, but the number of guns available could be significantly reduced. And without a reduction in civil liberties.* But this would take an unprecedented level of cooperation, so not likely any time soon.

*Other than the right to pack heat.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
And only someone with shit for brains thinks that making it more difficult won't reduce the likelihood of people resorting to gun violence, idiot.
Only a wishful thinking douchebag thinks these deranged mass killers give a flying piece of decroded crap about any law you can come up with and let it stand in the way of their getting what they need to pull off their wicked scheme. You asshole.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I understand it on the basis that had the ordinary citizens been armed 250 years ago there would never have been an independent America. But that was then and this is now.

Forgive me if I am wrong but doesn't the Second Amendment say a 'well-regulated militia' rather than every Tom, Dick and Harry?

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

That's because it was made by a Goddamn Commie.

Well that and the fact that, like all Michael Moore films, it's riddled with inaccuracies and fabrications.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

No matter where you are you can get one if you really want it just like booze and dope.
You really need to educate yourself. You seem to have some free time at the moment to defend your ill-informed views on gun availability, so maybe have a hunt 'round the ol' internet and you might find little gems of knowledge like this: look at chart 4 and then tell us whether gun control has an effect on gun violence.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:

You don't get it. Someone flips and loses it - a gun is handy, they use it. If there is no handy gun they won't, they'll use something far less damaging. These people are not in their right mind. It isn't a case of 'really wanting' a gun.

Guns shouldn't be available except to the police and the military. And not to the police as routine.

Sport guns should be kept on site and under lock and key.

I have six or seven guns and will not be giving them up.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

And only someone with their head up their ass can't realize that if the law makes it more difficult to get their hand on a gun in the first place when these people do snap it will be more difficult to use a gun to act out.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Only a wishful thinking douchebag thinks these deranged mass killers give a flying piece of decroded crap about any law you can come up with and let it stand in the way of their getting what they need to pull off their wicked scheme.

None of us think that. What we think is that non-deranged people can and should make sure deranged people don't obtain guns.
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Strange:
Forgive me if I am wrong but doesn't the Second Amendment say a 'well-regulated militia' rather than every Tom, Dick and Harry?

How sensible of you, reading the actual document.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

Lets just hope you remain in sound mind then.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
quote:

Lets just hope you remain in sound mind then.
Aw crap...

--------------------
Siegfried

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:

Be a good idea to know exactly how many in case one goes missing.

--------------------

my blog

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago the right-wingers on the SCOTUS decided that "well-regulated militia" is a synonym for "any nut who wants to pack heat."

The NRA's logic dictates that either everyone must be armed, or no one. I prefer the latter, because the former leads inevitably to even more events like this. The moral vacuity of claiming that the deaths of 18 children (and two people in Oregon, 32 at Virginia Tech, etc. ad infinitum) is an acceptable price to pay for the freedom to feel the illusion of security and power is just contemptible.

BTW, there were at least two people I've read of carrying concealed pistols at the Gabrielle Giffords shooting--neither one was able to draw until it was all over.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The triumphally ignorant and despicable fuckwaddery spewed forth by U.S.-ians such as Mere Nick IS the root of the problem.

[ 14. December 2012, 19:17: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

Someone attacked a school in China today with a knife. No-one died. Link to story.

For those who love guns more than children - go fuck yourselves.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Let's say all unregulated handguns are banned. An otherwise law abiding citizen (as the shooters in Portland, Tucson, Colorado, etc all have been) wants to go out in a blaze of glory by shooting up a classroom. Is it easier to go to a advertised gun show or established gun shop where anyone can walk in and they are sold without question, or in the absence of these channels (as they are made illegal) have to network in order to find someone who knows someone who may want to sell a gun illegally? Which is going to take more effort? Which is going to raise the most suspicion?

It's a matter of degree.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016