homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Complementarianism, gender, gay marriage and the CofE (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Complementarianism, gender, gay marriage and the CofE
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CofE have reacted to David Cameron's latest statement on gay marriage (which may merit a thread of its own), with a [url= http://www.churchofengland.org/media-centre/news/2012/12/church-of-england-responds-to-pm%E2%80%99s-same-sex-marriage-stateme nt.aspx ]statement [/url] which includes the following:

quote:
the uniqueness of marriage is that it embodies the underlying, objective, distinctiveness of men and women. This distinctiveness and complementarity are seen most explicitly in the biological union of man and woman which potentially brings to the relationship the fruitfulness of procreation.
As a women and an egalitarian I'm horrified by this statement. I do not believe in an underlying, objective, distinctiveness of men and women, but that men and women are both in the image of God and that apart from a few biological tasks our common humanity outweighs our gender difference. I hadn't realised how strongly I held this until I read this statement and realised how far out of tune with my church I am. Not wanting women bishops makes more sense in this context.

Is the CofE really complementarian? Is it possible to be complementarian on marriage and egalitarian on women priests? How do we sort this mess out?

Carys

[ET to try and sort out the ubb code but failed.

[ 07. December 2012, 16:39: Message edited by: Carys ]

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
As a women and an egalitarian I'm horrified by this statement. I do not believe in an underlying, objective, distinctiveness of men and women, but that men and women are both in the image of God and that apart from a few biological tasks our common humanity outweighs our gender difference.

Me too - astounded and disappointed. There is no objective underlying distinctiveness imo, and gender isn't so clear cut and fixed as they seem to be saying.

[Disappointed]

[ 07. December 2012, 16:40: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has the CofE written anything (e.g. Doctrine committee report) on gender issues -- not as they relate to other issues such as gay marriage and women as priests, but for their own sake?

Carys

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Complementarianism is simply sexism dressed up anew by people who think they can get away with pissing on women's legs and telling them it's raining.

As for procreation-o-centric marriage, it's another steaming helping of sexist dross. The Reformed churches were starting to move away from it as early as the 17th century but it's come back into fashion as a stick to beat gay people with.

Arguments against gay marriage are very closely tied to misogynist interpretations of Genesis. If the Church of England goes any further down this route then serious questions need to be asked about whether it can be trusted with its educational role. Little girls (and boys) should not be exposed to sexist teaching on their very natures via public funding of faith schools. Nor should they be taught that the core of marriage revolves round them being willing to bear children whether they have any interest in it or not

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CoE statement:
quote:
However, the uniqueness of marriage is that it embodies the underlying, objective distinctiveness of men and women. This distinctiveness and complementarity are seen most explicitly in the biological union of man and woman which potentially brings to the relationship the fruitfulness of procreation.
Okay, I challenge the CoE to declare what "objective" distinctiveness, other than the biological, that they are referring to and how hetero marriage preserves it and why it should be preserved by discriminating against gay couples.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who wrote that piece of dreck? And who advised them? Curious minds would like to know. This is where the issues of women in Holy Orders, equal marriage, and the pink and blue aisles in ToysRus all come together in a giant clusterfuck.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Who wrote that piece of dreck? And who advised them? Curious minds would like to know. This is where the issues of women in Holy Orders, equal marriage, and the pink and blue aisles in ToysRus all come together in a giant clusterfuck.

Exactly. This has apparently come from the archbishops, if so I'm astounded at ++Rowan

Carys

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is where the issues of women in Holy Orders, equal marriage, and the pink and blue aisles in ToysRus all come together in a giant clusterfuck.

A remarkably accurate description of the current state of the C of E, with the emphasis on the clusterfuck. Mind you, that does make it sound like more fun than it is. More of a long supermarket queue run amok.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's heartbreaking. And horrifying. And no surprise at all.

The response from the CofE to the government consultation on same sex marriage was full of the same language (June 2012).

The sensible, logical bit of my brain is saying "don't take this personally" but at the moment the larger part is winning. The part that's asking how often I need to be insulted by my Church before it stops being my Church.

I'm a straight, single Anglican female priest. Last month my Church told me that I was unfitted to exercise episcopal ministry because of my gender. This month it says that I am not a single whole, but rather I am half of an incomplete complementary pair. And that my gay brothers and sisters in Christ are condemned to remain incomplete for the whole of their lives. Whether they like it or not. Not because they can't find a partner with whom they want to spend their lives, but because their Church (my church) has decreed that they are not complementary to one another and therefore should not marry.

I'm sorry for rambling, but I was so saddened in June and this is more of the same.

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
anne [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rubbish from the very first words. The 'Church of England" doesn't say this, not the bits I know anyway. And, like others, I'd like to know who is saying it in our name.

Sign the thing, and be honest about it.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a complementarian, I just deny the assumption that there is exactly one substantial distinction among people, and that it is sex.

In other words...I believe that all people are created in the same image of God, but that each of us is only an incomplete version of the full human nature. That basically goes without saying.

But the complementarianism here holds that one distinction and one distinction only is relevant: not race, creed, height, weight, eye color, hair color, kindness, conscientiousness, basketball skills, or foot size; but sex.

I agree that not all people are suited to be priests. I agree that not all people are suited to be bishops. I agree that not all people are suited to marry one another. I just don't see why sex should be the only relevant division.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knowing nothing about the CofE, Rowan presumbably has to have approved it?

[Disappointed]

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, like any good civil servant, he can blame his (church-)political masters.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are a man who can only define yourself as a man by identifying yourself as "not-a-woman", then the complementary argument might make some sense.
I don't think those men are real men or fully human. There's plenty of the other sort about. Perhaps not writing press releases for the CoE. But what do I know? I'm still single.
Oddly, though, I've been finding myself, while agreeing with the position Cameron has recently taken on bishops and marriage, finding myself feeling that he really shouldn't be believing he has the right to tell the Church what to do.

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bostonman wrote
quote:
But the complementarianism here holds that one distinction and one distinction only is relevant: not race, creed, height, weight, eye color, hair color, kindness, conscientiousness, basketball skills, or foot size; but sex.
I think complementarianism here has a more developed sense than the way you are using it, which is a more general sense. Though maybe a spot of definition about what people understand by the term would be helpful.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
I think complementarianism here has a more developed sense than the way you are using it, which is a more general sense. Though maybe a spot of definition about what people understand by the term would be helpful.

Oh I know, I was being a bit facetious.

We could probably start with the relatively simplistic Wikipedia definition: "Complementarianism is a theological view held by some in Christianity and other world religions, such as Islam, that men and women have different but complementary roles and responsibilities in marriage, family life, religious leadership, and elsewhere."

But the guiding assumption behind this is that sex is the only substantial difference between human beings, while all other differences are accidental. See for example:

quote:
Being a Jew, being a Palestinian, being a first century man—all these are what we might call, in the language of Aristotelian metaphysics, the "accidents of Christ's humanity"; but his being a man rather than a woman is of the "substance" of his humanity. He could have been a twentieth-century Chinese and been, cultural differences notwithstanding, much the same person he was; but he could not have been a woman without having been a different sort of personality altogether.*
So my point is that this assumption—required for the "complementarianism" we're discussing—is a pretty strong one.

* Just to give the full citation for anyone interested in digging it up: "John Paul Boyer, 'Some thoughts on the Ordination of Women,' Monthly Bulletin of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, New York City, vol. XL!, No 5 (May 1972), p. 73, quoted in Emily C. Hewitt and Suzanne R. Hiatt, Women Priests: Yes or No? (New York: The Seabury Press, 1973), P. 62.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:

To borrow from blogger Rachel Held Evans, "complementarianism" is just "patriarchy" for people who don't want to use that term.

quote:
Complemenarianism is patriarchy—nothing more, nothing less. (Though it is sometimes called "soft patriarchy.") This was made crystal clear when John Piper announced months ago that Christianity is inherently masculine. Such a view can hardly be described as “complementary” when it excludes one gender entirely. We experience the same discomfort when we realize that, based on the “complementarian” understanding of gender, Fred Phelps would be more qualified to speak to your church on Sunday morning by virtue of being a man than someone like Lois Tverberg or Carolyn Custis James or Christine Caine. When a man with no biblical training whatsoever is considered more qualified to teach than a woman with a PhD in theology or a woman whose work in New Testament scholarship is renowned the world over, we are not seeing complementariaism at work, but patriarchy.
RHE is coming at the term from a background of American evangelicalism, but it's largely the same concept everywhere (mutatis mutandis).

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is this person who feels that they can speak for the whole of the CoE on this matter?? It certainly has nothing in common with what my own CoE church thinks about it.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
Knowing nothing about the CofE, Rowan presumbably has to have approved it?

[Disappointed]

Back in June, the statement was drafted in Church House by some opaque process, and I expect the same has happened here. But this is done in the name of the Archbishops, Canterbury and York, and can only have any weight at all on their say-so and with their authority. As the statements are published on that basis, we must assume that this reflects their views. If it didn't, you can be sure that we'd know by now, and that there would at least have been some clarification.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what I'd do if I were still in England.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention - after the June statement, I sent an email to the ABC to explain that this had made it completely impossible for me to remain in the church, and got a reply from his chaplain giving the party line and defending the statement. To sustain the belief that this isn't a reflection of Rowan's views, you have to suppose that he's either totally incompetent or trapped in a bizarre bureaucracy which disregards everything he says.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to defend patriarchy in any way. But (having quickly checked that we're not in Hell) there is an issue worth discussing. How important is our gender to the people we are? Not in some simplistic way like Men are Martians, Women are Venus Fly-traps, but doesn't being either male or female have a big impact on who we are? Is that just the result of the way society treats us, or is it something deeper and more profound? Instinctively I go for the latter, but I'm not sure.

And, just to make it crystal clear, I IN NO WAY support the daft ideas that are sometimes spun off from this way of thinking (see statement in OP). I support full equality, and want to see anyone given a crack at any job they are qualified to do no matter their sex, skin colour, sexuality, or whether they went to Eton!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we need to be clear here that a lot of these anonymous statements come from Church House and predominantly reflect the innate conservatism of the people running the show there.

I certainly wish that whoever is releasing these stupid statements would have the guts to include their name. The C of E does NOT believe these things. As far as I can tell, the C of E has never seriously discussed them and come to a "mind". These statements are what people in Church House would like to think that the C of E ought to believe.

The shame is that the archbishops go along with it all. I don't really expect anything better these days from Sentamu (and I'm guessing that he would pretty much agree with the ideas in the statement anyway) but I find it hard to accept that Rowan Williams could want to put his name to this tosh.

Once again, I am appalled and disgusted that such statements are blithely released, claiming to give the official C of E position. It's a lie, folks. A bare-faced lie.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hesitate to step into an arena to have my head blown off, but has complementarian now also become a random insult devoid of any meaning?

Most of those who support womens' ordination whether as priests or bishops do so at least in part on a complementarian argument. As soon as one says that women bring something different to ministry, whether it be a more caring nature, a feminine perspective, the completion of something that was once one-sided and is now binary, or whatever, that is a complementarian argument.

There is an alternative, utilitarian, argument that there is no difference between men and women at all. So we might as well ordain women, particularly if we are short of male applicants and the law says we must not discriminate on grounds of sex. Not many people are actually saying that. The few that are tend to be men. Most women priests are saying that bring something extra that the previous all male priesthood did not have.

The same applies if one says that sexual identity is not simply binary, but more subtly nuanced over a spectrum. That doesn't make sense at all unless one starts from an assumption that there are some characteristics that are more usually male and others that are more usually female.

Even if one does actually believe that the only difference between men and women is that they have different genitalia, procreation still requires two sexes. When you take the implications of that apart, most people turn out not really to believe that but to be reacting emotionally to views presented by people they disagree with.

The notion that men and women can't 'both be in the image of God' unless there are 'no underlying, objective, distinctivenesses between them' is, to put it as respectfully as I can, a serious non sequitur. Even without our differences of sex, we each have different personalities. Yet we are all both in the image of God, and loved by him equally and individually, as he called us into being through the generative activities of our parents. Even if we don't agree with some of the conclusions some people draw from this, we have to accept that God created a world in which in most species, there are two sexes.

Are you sure that in your legitimate desire to feel that you are the equal of any man, you have taken it for granted that you are obliged to believe something else about sexual identity as an article of faith, irrespective of whether it is actually true or not?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a question of calling, Enoch. God calls and the Church tests that calling. God calls unique, gifted Christians to the ordained ministerial priesthood. The Church, seeking to discern God's will, tests their vocations. Parts of the Church have come to the understanding that the Holy Spirit calls women as well as men. This is not understood to be because women have special womanly gifts which the Church now, for the first time, needs at the altar and in the pulpit, but because it is understood that some women, like some men, are called by God to the vocation of priestly ministry. This is an understanding as much about the nature of Christ as a human being as about what it is to be a priest.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Are you sure that in your legitimate desire to feel that you are the equal of any man, you have taken it for granted that you are obliged to believe something else about sexual identity as an article of faith, irrespective of whether it is actually true or not?

The inherent sexism of this position is well illustrated by the fact that it's never pitched in the frame of men wanting to be the equal of any woman. There's a definite hierarchy implied.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anne:
Last month my Church told me that I was unfitted to exercise episcopal ministry because of my gender.

I think it's more accurate to say that the Church (to the extent that Synod represents her) told you she wasn't ready for you to exercise episcopal ministry until the issue of those who don't believe you can do that has been charitably and reliably sorted out. But I can see how it looks otherwise.

I'm surprised at my own reaction to this announcement from Mr Cameron though. Firstly, I felt a strange desire to check the prophecies of Nostradamus for the end of the world because I largely agreed with him (Cameron, not Nostradamus), and secondly I started wondering if it was possible to be an Anglican in communion with TEC in England. It's forced me to examine my beliefs to the extent that I now give no weight to any conservative argument other than tradition on this one - and although that's significant, if it was a knockdown I'd be Orthodox.

One thing Cameron's opponents on this have right is that allowing individual priests the decision means it's game over for the antis.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'One thing Cameron's opponents on this have right is that allowing individual priests the decision means it's game over for the antis.'

My understanding is that it was not to be in the decision of individual minsiters. But I hope you are right, and I wrong !

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
Last month my Church told me that I was unfitted to exercise episcopal ministry because of my gender.

I think it's more accurate to say that the Church (to the extent that Synod represents her) told you she wasn't ready for you to exercise episcopal ministry until the issue of those who don't believe you can do that has been charitably and reliably sorted out. But I can see how it looks otherwise.
To be frank, the day that the CofE says that it is ready for me to exercise episcopal ministry, we should all queue up at the door of our nearest Orthodox joint and ask very nicely if they could overlook our recent differences and let us back in pretty please.
Many, many things justifiably stand between me and the episcopate - I just don't think that my gender should be one of them.

quote:

I'm surprised at my own reaction to this announcement from Mr Cameron though. Firstly, I felt a strange desire to check the prophecies of Nostradamus for the end of the world because I largely agreed with him (Cameron, not Nostradamus), and secondly I started wondering if it was possible to be an Anglican in communion with TEC in England. It's forced me to examine my beliefs to the extent that I now give no weight to any conservative argument other than tradition on this one - and although that's significant, if it was a knockdown I'd be Orthodox.

One thing Cameron's opponents on this have right is that allowing individual priests the decision means it's game over for the antis.

Yes, it's a bit startling to find oneself theologically reflecting on the pronouncements of David Cameron, isn't it?

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a question of calling, Enoch. God calls and the Church tests that calling. God calls unique, gifted Christians to the ordained ministerial priesthood. The Church, seeking to discern God's will, tests their vocations. Parts of the Church have come to the understanding that the Holy Spirit calls women as well as men. This is not understood to be because women have special womanly gifts which the Church now, for the first time, needs at the altar and in the pulpit, but because it is understood that some women, like some men, are called by God to the vocation of priestly ministry. This is an understanding as much about the nature of Christ as a human being as about what it is to be a priest.

That's an interesting perspective, Amos, but I don't think it has much bearing on what I actually said.

It is also a bit subjective. You seem to be saying, 'we ordain women because suddenly they started coming forward saying they believed God has called them to be priests'.

So far as bishops are concerned, as has been said on other threads, the church doesn't ordain anyone a bishop because they say they believe God has called them to be a bishop. Rightly in my view, most of us would regard anyone who said that as conceited, having delusions of grandeur and self-evidently unsuitable.

If the church regards a subjective sense of call as the reason why it now ordains women, that solves everything as it probably lets it off making them up to bishops for ever.

Originally posted by Crœsos
quote:
The inherent sexism of this position is well illustrated by the fact that it's never pitched in the frame of men wanting to be the equal of any woman. There's a definite hierarchy implied.
That is largely true for adults. Curiously though, the opposite message is very widely conveyed and ingrained into children at primary school.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure this is a meaningful distinction. It still boils down to making sure the CofE bishops remain a sausagefest. It brings to mind another Christian writing in another context.

quote:
Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to be more immoral than individuals.

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

<snip>

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

It's one of those "read the whole thing" documents, but those are the bits I felt most relevant to your point about how non-penis-having clergy just need to wait patiently for universal acclamation across the entire Anglican Church.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

That is largely true for adults. Curiously though, the opposite message is very widely conveyed and ingrained into children at primary school.
And exactly how many primary-school-age bishops does the Church of England have? My rough guess would be "zero", but I'm prepared to be surprised.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is more to this than meets the eye.

If there were no difference between men and women apart from the procreation bits, why would some people struggle so much with gender identity?

The necessity for both to be involved in procreation is obvious, but is there more to it than that? Are the traditional female nurturer, male provider roles purely man-made inventions? Do they have some root in the reality of their respective natures? What of role models for children?

I have no issue with same-sex relationships, whether labelled partnerships or marriage or co-habitations or whatever. I think though that as this is unchartered territory, all aspects need to be considered.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
There is more to this than meets the eye.

If there were no difference between men and women apart from the procreation bits, why would some people struggle so much with gender identity?

The necessity for both to be involved in procreation is obvious, but is there more to it than that? Are the traditional female nurturer, male provider roles purely man-made inventions? Do they have some root in the reality of their respective natures? What of role models for children?

I'd argue that there's actually less to this than meets the eye. Most of the "inherent" gender differences argued in the past (women are less rational than men, women can't do math as well as men, women are too delicate for the rough-and-tumble world of politics, either as voters or officeholders, etc.) have turned out to be largely bullshit when examined up close or put to the test. They also tend to follow the same general trend as the differences between the supposed "races". The difference between groups (average man vs. average woman, average white vs. average black vs. average asian vs. average whatever) is a lot smaller, often by an order of magnitude, than the differences within groups (upper percentile man/woman/white/black/asian vs. lower percentile man/woman/white/black/asian).

Given this history, I'd be very cautious about just handwaving differences into existence with a phrase like "more than meets the eye".

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Raptor Eye, you'll probably not be surprised if I say I agree with you, and don't agree with Crœsos.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Raptor Eye, you'll probably not be surprised if I say I agree with you, and don't agree with Crœsos.

Because . . . ?

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
quote:
quote:

And exactly how many primary-school-age bishops does the Church of England have? My rough guess would be "zero", but I'm prepared to be surprised.
Quite a decent handful actually, but their tenure is very short: about one week a year. Some of them have been female too--I seem to recall a photograph of a Girl Bishop in the papers a few years ago.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Complementarianism assumes that gender is binary. Sex is generally binary in our species ('generally' because hermaphrododites are regarded as unusual).
Gender, however, is a spectrum. I have found a link to a clear and simple explanation of this, which might have helped the parents of a brilliant, kind, funny, transgendered student of mine who took his own life last year. They'd disowned him. Rest in peace.
http://www.genderspectrum.org/about/understanding-gender

[ 08. December 2012, 21:28: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Triple post, for which I apologise.
Enoch, I hadn't noticed that you had replied to my reply to you. It seems that you have misunderstood me. I was replying to the following two paragraphs of your post:

'Most of those who support womens' ordination whether as priests or bishops do so at least in part on a complementarian argument. As soon as one says that women bring something different to ministry, whether it be a more caring nature, a feminine perspective, the completion of something that was once one-sided and is now binary, or whatever, that is a complementarian argument.

There is an alternative, utilitarian, argument that there is no difference between men and women at all. So we might as well ordain women, particularly if we are short of male applicants and the law says we must not discriminate on grounds of sex. Not many people are actually saying that. The few that are tend to be men. Most women priests are saying that bring something extra that the previous all male priesthood did not have.'

As someone who has been involved on both sides of the process of discernment and formation of clergy in the church of England, I posted to let you know that you were wrong in what you said here.

It's worth adding that, as I said, and as you don't appear to have registered, while God's calling is of the individual Christian, that calling has to be discerned and validated by and through the Church. Since you wrote 'whether of priests or bishops,' it is disingenuous to speak only of bishops in your reply.

[ 08. December 2012, 22:11: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
I hesitate to step into an arena to have my head blown off, but has complementarian now also become a random insult devoid of any meaning?

That is not how Iwas using it, no. Complementarian is a philosophical position on a question of anthropology. It is a position with which I strongly disagree and not one I was aware was the official position of my church (hence this thread)

quote:

Most of those who support womens' ordination whether as priests or bishops do so at least in part on a complementarian argument. As soon as one says that women bring something different to ministry, whether it be a more caring nature, a feminine perspective, the completion of something that was once one-sided and is now binary, or whatever, that is a complementarian argument.

Those are not arguments I have heard much in this debate, although it was thrown in passing on Twitter the other day, revealing a sense that male was default neutral human and female was other in that tweeter at least -- his point was something like, if women don't have something distinctive to bring, then they're not needed in priesthood.

I think my response is that individuals bring a unique range of gifts to the priesthood and that to rule out about half the population on the grounds of their XXness is to miss out on those unique individual gifts. I think a lot of the 'feminine/nurturing thing' is socially constructed -- girls are reward for that from a young age (and I mean young, people interact differently with babies dressed in pink than in blue whatever the actual gender of said babies) and boys discouraged from it.

quote:

There is an alternative, utilitarian, argument that there is no difference between men and women at all. So we might as well ordain women, particularly if we are short of male applicants and the law says we must not discriminate on grounds of sex. Not many people are actually saying that. The few that are tend to be men. Most women priests are saying that bring something extra that the previous all male priesthood did not have.

Well, if they have been pregnant that is an experience no cisman has had. But I'm not sure whether most women priests would say it in those terms. My mum (who is recently ordained) says it's about answering a call from God.

quote:

The same applies if one says that sexual identity is not simply binary, but more subtly nuanced over a spectrum. That doesn't make sense at all unless one starts from an assumption that there are some characteristics that are more usually male and others that are more usually female.

Sorry your logic has escaped me here.A spectrum implies binary? An understanding of gender of a spectrum tends to be based on recognising that the assocation of certain things with male and female is a social construct and that people's experiences and characters do not fit those binary constructions.

quote:

Even if one does actually believe that the only difference between men and women is that they have different genitalia, procreation still requires two sexes. When you take the implications of that apart, most people turn out not really to believe that but to be reacting emotionally to views presented by people they disagree with.

Yes, I'm reacting emotionally, but that's because these views on't accord with my experience of being human. The point about óbjective underlying distinctiveness' is that scientifically it is very hard to come up with statements of this apart form possibly genitalia, but even there you have the existence of various kinds of intersex and transgender people.

quote:

The notion that men and women can't 'both be the image of God' unless there are 'no underlying, objective, distinctivenesses between them' is, to put it as respectfully as I can, a serious non sequitur. Even without our differences of sex, we each have different personalities. Yet we are all both in the image of God, and loved by him equally and individually, as he called us into being through the generative activities of our parents. Even if we don't agree with some of the conclusions some people draw from this, we have to accept that God created a world in which in most species, there are two sexes.

Male and female together are needed for the image of God. One isn't closer than the other, although throughout the ages male has tended to be seen as the default, neutral state (which is possibly inaccurate scientifically). God appears to like diversity. But when considering individuals sex and gender are only two factors in that personality and saying a rôle that doesn't require certain genitalia should only be performed by one sex or gender is highly problematic to me. Especially because so far I have not come across an example of a rôle that doesn't require certain anatomical features that men are excluded from doing. We're back to male being the default human agian hence why Rachel Held Evans calls complementarianism patriarchy. TRevor Dennis has an interesting discussion of male and female and the imago Dei in Ánd Sarah Laughed'. HE points out that woman wasn't made from man's 'rib' but from his side, almost as though pre-split adam/man was both though he doesn't think the text quite supporst this.

I think this shows that we need to thing more clearly about gender.

quote:

As someone else has pointed out, this shows the way in which male is default. MY views on gender arise to a fair degree out of my experience. I have a body that one the whole asserts that it is female -- it has large boobs and approximately once a month gives me grief and bleeds a lot -- but not entirely -- I have more facial hair than is 'normal' for a woman. However, Ihave no sense of being female other than my anatomy. My friendship groups tend to be fairly evenly split male/female (whereas some people seem to associate strongly only with their own gender). IIn terms of sexual orientation, I tend towards asexual; sex isn't a huge drive for me. Primarily I'm me and trying to live out the life to which God is calling me. ONe thing I react strongly to is things like that 'we need some strong men to carry stuff'. I'm a reasonably fit and healthy youngish woman and can carry quite a lot, probably more than a number of older men. SImilarly the other week when I was at m parents' I climbed a ladder to try and clear their gutters -- it made more sense for a 33 year woman to do that than a 64 year old man. Gender didn't make any difference to my ability to do it. At the end of the day I don't think it is possible to come up with a statement that is true of all men and no women which is what únderlying objective distinctiveness' implies to me.

Carys

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

More generally, can anyone point me to anything the CofE has produced on its understanding of gender (as distinct from sexuality)? If not, how can a statement such as this be made on its behalf? Has it even done anything on transgender issues? There is at least one transgender vicar in the CofE as I follow her on twitter! I must get hold of her book 'Dazzling darkness'

Carys

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carys:
quote:
Trevor Dennis has an interesting discussion of male and female and the imago Dei in Ánd Sarah Laughed'. He points out that woman wasn't made from man's 'rib' but from his side, almost as though pre-split adam/man was both though he doesn't think the text quite supports this.
I thought this was a common medieaval view. Not the only one, but fairly widespread. In fact, I have vague memories of an illustration from an illuminated manuscript which shows the Adam with both sets of characteristics.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
More generally, can anyone point me to anything the CofE has produced on its understanding of gender (as distinct from sexuality)? If not, how can a statement such as this be made on its behalf? Has it even done anything on transgender issues? There is at least one transgender vicar in the CofE as I follow her on twitter! I must get hold of her book 'Dazzling darkness'

Carys

Yes, I used to be in a gender studies group at my uni, and the distinctions between sex, gender and sexuality produce huge amounts of confusion and debate. I think they often slide into each other as categories. But gender is often seen as a social construct today; the radicals also see sex and sexuality in the same way. As opposed to that, you have the essentialists, who see some categories as fixed and 'objective', oh no, that dreaded word.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... CofE h Has it even done anything on transgender issues?

Yes - after a priest in our diocese went male to female. It's mentioned here

quote:
Some issues in human sexuality four Church of England bishops have surveyed some of the theological responses to the existence of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) people in society and the Church. Chapter 5 explores gender identity, in its broadest sense, in history and theology, while Transsexualism is examined in Chapter 7. The authors make a valiant attempt to be even-handed, quoting the Evangelical Alliance report and Roman Catholic moral theologians alongside other Christian writers who are prepared to justify gender re-assignment and the godliness of transsexual people. The bishops’ method is to summarise their review of the arguments in a series of, apparently, open questions; though one has the impression that these have been ‘closed’ in the earlier sections in favour of so-called ‘traditional’ teaching about gender and sexuality.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is also a bit subjective. You seem to be saying, 'we ordain women because suddenly they started coming forward saying they believed God has called them to be priests'.

Well, we do appear to ordain men because they come forward making peculiarly subjective claims that God has called them......

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

Well one CofE bishop gets the problem with complementarity. Thank you Bishop Alan

Carys

[Edited to fix UBB URL code]

[ 09. December 2012, 23:02: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife and I complement each other, but not because I'm male and she's female. There are things she's much better at than I am, and vice versa. We worked out our complementarity on that basis, because it seemed to us that role stereotyping by gender was just silly.

A couple of trivial examples. She's much better at painting and decorating than I am. I'm mildly dispraxic, haven't got a very steady hand. Conversely, when the children were babies, I did more of the middle of the night stuff, basically because I can manage with less sleep than she can.

Complementarity on the bass of gifts and talents and temperament is an excellent way of looking at our key relationships, as couples or larger social groups. That seems so simple and obvious to me. It doesn't rule out learning from one another either.

It's sad to see the rationalisation, particularly since complementarity by reference to gifts and talents is so clearly pointed out as a "good" in 1 Cor 12 - and elsewhere. Of course not everyone is good at everything. But that's great; it means we can celebrate and give thanks for what other people are good at.

[ 10. December 2012, 00:20: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, research indicates that same-sex couples have a lot less tension about the mundane chores of life (whether it be painting and decorating, putting the garbage out etc) precisely because they can throw away all that nonsense about men's tasks and women's tasks, and go straight to figuring out who actually likes/is better at each thing.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never thought of that before, orfeo, but it reminds me of another point. Gender stereotyping can put a lot of pressure on a heterosexual marriage. Folks feel they "ought" to be good at things which they aren't. And of course there are the examples we grew up with.

Marriages can suffer from a "hardening of the oughteries". And do. Seen far too many go to the wall over what were in practice unreasonable expectations arising from gender-based assumptions re competencies and responsibilities.

Why is this sort of cautionary thinking so difficult to see? Sometimes I wonder if there is a genetic component, reaching way back into very primitive human social groupings and behaviour then. The influence of alpha males, control by physical strength, suggest that for the majority of the "pack", "learning your place" in the pecking order was easier if you tended to be compliant.

[I'm research-stupid about this particular issue and it's a tangent anyway, but is there any research into the extent to which sexism may be genetic as well as an inheritance from culture?]

[ 10. December 2012, 05:11: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016