homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Learning Spanish

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Learning Spanish
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Through an interestingly weird turn of events I will soon be in Santiago Chile for 10 days and it would be helpful to learn some Spanish. I've done a bit of free online stuff (for instance www.prospanish.co.uk) which helped. I also have a Kindle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[Eliminated errant parenthesis from link]

[ 21. November 2012, 17:07: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard some good things about Pimsleur, but haven't tried it. I understand the first lesson is for free. ¡Suerte! (Good luck.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have an iPhone, download the 'Google Translate' free app. It's pretty good... and works in a variety of ways (audio / visual).
Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Rosetta Stone (I'm trying to learn Arabic now), but it's quite pricy and it focuses more on grammar than on conversation. I guess it depends on what you want, if you're only going to visit Santiago for a couple of days I dont think you'll have much use for phrases like 'There's a boy under the airplane' [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I dont think you'll have much use for phrases like 'There's a boy under the airplane' [Biased]

Or "The toilet is not in the kitchen", which is what made me send Rosetta Stone back for a refund.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Amanda B. Reckondwythe: Or "The toilet is not in the kitchen", which is what made me send Rosetta Stone back for a refund.
When I was living in a students' house in Belgium, there really was a toilet cabin in the kitchen [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. One place I lived in, the bathroom was through the kitchen.

It would also have used the Spanish for 'There is a giant slug in there looks like three inches of liquorice'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Firenze: It would also have used the Spanish for 'There is a giant slug in there looks like three inches of liquorice'.
Normally, the right thing to say in this situation is ¡Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiih! [Biased]

(The translation would be Hay una babosa gigante allí dentro que se parece a tres pulgadas de regaliz.)

[ 21. November 2012, 17:29: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was living in a students' house in Belgium, there really was a toilet cabin in the kitchen [Ultra confused]

I've seen that in a reconstruction of an ancient Roman kitchen, too.
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my former church members, now deceased, loved to tell the story of his arrival in Canada right after the end of the Second World War.
He was given a job in construction, and needed to ride the bus to get to and from work. The bus was crowded, and he needed to ask people to please step aside and allow him to pass so he could get off at his stop.
He thought he had learned how to say something polite, and quite close to close "Excuse me, please."
But alas, he learned his English it at a busy construction site.
Eventually, someone coached him into no longer saying "Hey, you, fuck right off, please" and believing he was asking them politely to step aside and let him pass!
So do be careful who teachs you a new language!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
Any suggestions?

How much time do you have before you leave? If I were in your shoes I'd start with a really good phrasebook and a really good audio course.

The phrasebook should be for Latin American or South American Spanish (or Chilean Spanish if one exists) and preferably have a mini-dictionary and a mini-grammar, or at least a table of useful verbs. If you can, get one that comes with a CD you can listen to in your car or upload to an iPod. A good travel guide to Chile will also have a phrasebook section with Chilean words and expressions.

For an audio course I'd get Pimsleur or a Michel Thomas-style course. Michel Thomas was a famous language teacher whose method was based on stuff like short phrases, verbs, and function words as building blocks for more complex phrases and sentences. It doesn't give you a lot of vocabulary but it is supposed to get you speaking quickly. His courses are well-regarded on the language learning sites where I lurk. The Paul Noble courses have a similar style and they get good reviews on Amazon.

Last time I checked you could download the Paul Noble courses from the publisher's website for around 37 dollars. Sometimes you can get good deals on the Thomas and Noble courses from the Bookdepository.co.uk (they do free world-wide shipping).

Another Spanish course in the Michel Thomas-style is available from Languagetransfer.org. You can download that one for free.

quote:
I heard some good things about Pimsleur, but haven't tried it. I understand the first lesson is for free. ¡Suerte! (Good luck.)

I like Pimsleur but it's relatively slow (with good reason, imho) and he might not get enough use of it before leaving for Chile. It's also horribly expensive. I'd still recommend it though, especially if the OP plans to continue learning after the trip. He can use it during the trip. What you learn you really learn and it's great for developing good pronunciation, among other things. Get it from the library, though, or get it used or on discount online.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Firenze: It would also have used the Spanish for 'There is a giant slug in there looks like three inches of liquorice'.
Normally, the right thing to say in this situation is ¡Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiih! [Biased]

(The translation would be Hay una babosa gigante allí dentro que se parece a tres pulgadas de regaliz.)

And be careful, a babosa is also a kind of street food. Specifically, a deep fried slug.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Il y a un géant limace là qui ressemble un morceau de réglisse ayant trois pouces.

I learned French instead. [Razz]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose he can try that one out in Chile, but call me crazy, might not fly. [Biased]

[ 22. November 2012, 04:38: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kelly Alves: I suppose he can try that one out in Chile, but call me crazy, might not fly. [Biased]
To be honest, even if you'd be saying it in Spanish I'm not sure if they'd catch the licorice reference. People in Latin America know about licorice, but it's not very common.

(If you'd say the phrase in Dutch to someone from Holland, he'd probably eat the slug on the off chance that it might actually be licorice [Biased] )

A question: does someone know if the private board about languages is still active? I'd be interested in that (if they'll have me).

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's to learn? When I was in Cuba forty years ago, I got by quite nicely with:

Una cerveza, por favor. Gracias
and
Caffe con leche, por favor. Gracias

(Asking for beer and coffee, please and thank you)

I also knew how to ask for the loo, but forget that phrase. The rest of the time I managed with Frenglish.. It seemed to work, for the most part.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

You didn't ask for a mojito? [Smile]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on the Atlantic coast. In February. I also learnt to ask for caffe con ron.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thanks - I shall give this a try. Not for Spanish, but for German. My son lives in Heidelberg and doesn't intend to leave - ever!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Boogie: Thanks - I shall give this a try. Not for Spanish, but for German.
Good luck! In this case, the phrase would be Da drinnen gibt's 'ne Riesennacktschnecke die ausseht wie ein drei Zollen langes Stück Lakritz! [Biased]

(Now I'm dreading that IngoB will pass by on this thread to correct my German [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to this thread, we may now all converse about slugs in four languages.

I feel my social horizons expanding so much.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

It certainly would help to fill up those awkward pauses in casual conversation.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

[Killing me]

(Also to all male Shipmates: whatever language you use to say this phrase, it's probably advisable not to look in the general direction of your trousers when saying this. I will not be held responsible for what happens.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Unless you switch it to Doce* pulgadas

* Twelve.

[ 22. November 2012, 19:12: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Little did I think, thirty-five years ago, when navigating the tattier end of the Aberystwyth housing market, that I was collecting the basis for exchanges of bilingual double entendre in a medium which had not at that point been invented.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the first day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
One giant sluuuuuuug

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me
Two Spanish language courses
And a giant slug

On the third day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Three pieces of liquorice
And a giant slug

On the fourth day of Christmas
My true love was arrested
He got four policemen
Three restraining orders
Two ASBOs and a curfew
And I returned
And a giant sluuuuuug.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Firenze: Little did I think, thirty-five years ago, when navigating the tattier end of the Aberystwyth housing market, that I was collecting the basis for exchanges of bilingual double entendre in a medium which had not at that point been invented.
Life has its surprises [Smile]

Or as they say in Mexico: Si la vida te da limones, pide sal y tequila.
(If life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.)

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally I'd apologize for dredging a thread off the second page but not this time:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
On the first day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
One giant sluuuuuuug

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me
And a giant slug

On the third day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
And a giant slug

On the fourth day of Christmas
My true love was arrested
He got four policemen
Three restraining orders
Two ASBOs and a curfew
And I returned
And a giant sluuuuuug.

[Killing me] You people are perverse.

This has been very helpful:

http://www.spanishdict.com/learn

I haven't ordered this yet but probably will - good reviews and inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M39SN6/ref=gno_cart_title_3

Thanks again.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016