homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The thread about guitars and amps and stuff

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The thread about guitars and amps and stuff
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I play a 1989 G&L SC3 and a 1 year old JTV-59 James Tyler Variax (love it!). I’ve also got a Vox VT20+ modeller and Zoom G3X modelling pedal.

Also got an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE solid wood acoustic which I love.

I don’t gig any more, just play for fun and do a bit of recording, so got rid of the AC30 and now just use modelling for convenience and flexibility.

I mainly play blues, country, rock and the like. Anything with a guitar making a bluesy kind of noise is good for me.

Any other shipmates spank the plank?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

And admit it in public? Oh, wait- you mean play guitar...

I've got a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, but my main electric gig rig is a souped-up Squier Strat (I gutted and put new pickups, a Varitone switch, etc. in it) and a Peavey Delta Blues amp. Plus some pedals, etc. Acoustically speaking, I'm a Taylor guy.

I play much the same as you- blues, rock n' roll, country, and the like.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a taking lessons at the moment. I have a lovely Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Mustang amp.

I don't play any style of music at the moment - more a tuneless racket :-)

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mostly play acoustic these days (or "acoustic," meaning a fat guitar with a round soundhole with a pickup in it). When I do play real electric, it's a 1981 Ibanez AR-50 through a 1970s Music Man 65. Or a 1968 Gretsch 6071 bass through the same rig.

Acoustically, I play a Laguna LG6CE electric-acoustic, a Dean SE12GN 12-string, and a Regal RC-2 metal-bodied resonator guitar. I play mainly traditional blues and bluesy originals. They either get plugged into or miked through a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp.

Not that that is an exhaustive inventory of my gear. There's more, and I've got my eye on.... but that's the story of my wife's life.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager, my grandmother made me choose between at guitar and a surfboard. I hired a Fender Stratocaster and later bought a Mustang: my fingers were too fat to play either of them adequately though I did tune the Mustang to F so I could play slide. The amp was a Vibrochamp and I wished she'd given me enough money to get a Twin Reverb. While at university, I sold them to a fellow student and bought the first of a series of surfboards at age 18. I still surf and have never looked back. I write a bit and compose at the drums and the piano. I still surf every summer in San Diego at PB pier and in LA at Malibu County Line....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver's Apprentice:
I'm a taking lessons at the moment. I have a lovely Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Mustang amp.

How could you?! The Mustang was a guitar. See above: there is no such amp. Why don't you look at the nameplate on your amp? It doesn't say that! I don't think you'd even know a Fender guitar if you saw one! I know your brother doesn't play - why do you insist that you do?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:

How could you?! The Mustang was a guitar. See above: there is no such amp. Why don't you look at the nameplate on your amp? It doesn't say that! I don't think you'd even know a Fender guitar if you saw one! I know your brother doesn't play - why do you insist that you do?
Err, not sure how to respond to this so I'll play a straight bat. Yes the Mustang was a guitar but Fender have re-used the Mustang name for it's latest range of modelling amplifiers. They are very good by all accounts, and I tried one out myself but I'm a Vox man and the AC15/AC30 models weren't as good as the VT20+ (well, Vox make them!) so I went for the Vox.

Fender do this a lot. There used to be a Fender Starcaster, which was a quite good acoustic (I think), but latterly it has been used for a very low end introductory guitar, loooks like a Strat and has "Fender" on the headstock, but not as good as Squiers really.

GAS is a terrible disease for those living with an affected family memmber!!! Hee hee!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:

Sir Kevin, that's not on. Please don't make any further personal attacks - this is Heaven, after all, and we want to keep discussion amicable here.

Thank you
Ariel
Heaven Host

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yep [Big Grin]

Here's a pic of my two guitars. The Strat is a great piece of kit, but I tend not to use the Olympia much for gigs or church services because the pickup's gone to pot. It's still great for occasions where amplification isn't needed though [Cool]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gibson ES-175, late 1970s. Roland Cube, mid 1970s.

Fun!

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Club!

Les Paul Studio, late 90s
Fenix Telecaster copy, not used much
Takamine E something or other (mid-90s) acoustic

Laney LC30-II
Laney Lionheart L5T-112
Smattering of Boss pedals, although these days I mostly only use the tuner, delay (DD-7) and occasionally the flanger. Break out the Wah for youth events [Biased]

Oh, and some Peavey bass that I do emergency cover with.

I mostly play at church/para-church things, and periodically try to wind people up to starting a fun covers band but don't really have the time.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

I've heard the latest Laney's are a bit good. I don't have the need of one at the moment, but they would be on my list to try out if I were in the market.

To expand the thread, the best guitar I ever played was a PRS Modern Eagle Quatro. It wasn't mine and it was £7,000! But it was beautiful to behold and to play!

I'm not a vintage guitar fan and if I'd got the dosh (which I haven't) I would buy a new one of those.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strictly acoustic (albeit with pickups), I have two Fylde custom guitars, hand made by Roger Bucknall in Penrith. Both are modelled on his Falstaff design, but use unusual timbers. So the 6-string uses Brazillian Rosewood for the back and sides, with Honduras Mahogany for the neck, laminated with a piece of Ebony (mainly for effect) with a 'sinker' Redwood top. It was one of his "Personal Selection" guitars (have a look at some of these to get the picture).

Having bought the 6-string, I found that my existing 12-string (Takamine EN10-12) sounded terribly dull and lifeless by comparison, so I asked Roger if he could build me a 12-string to match the 6 as closely as possible. 14 months later, the result was delivered. Same woods for back and sides, but the top is Sitka Spruce - Redwood is not strong enough to take the strain of 12 strings.

My amplifier is a Trace Acoustic 35 Watt, bought back in 1992. Not something I am eager to discard, in spite of its age.

There are other instruments, but not in the same league. Buying the two Fyldes has pretty well put a stop to my acquisitiveness - I could never afford to better them!

Incidentally, should you wonder, the EN10-12 and its 6-string colleague (EAN15-CX) went to a deserving friend who will love and cherish them (and always wanted to get his hands on the 12!).

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Yamaha Acoustic, but mainly prefer to play my Strat, which is a beautiful guitar. I have a Boss effects unit, and an old valve amp (name I cannot remember).

I used to play at church, but have left there, and nowadays just play for fun when I want to. I would love to play with others, but have not found others to join with. I play mainly rock stuff. Actually ,anything I find that I like, which is a very eclectic range of music.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm only going to make one response, and then the subject is closed.
As has been pointed out by others, Mustang is the name Fender use for a range of amps.
I know a Fender guitar when I see one - it says Fender on the headstock. Just like on my Stratocaster [Big Grin]
I don't insist I can play guitar - I'm taking lessons to learn how to play.
I'm not sure what my brother has to do with this. I actually don't know whether he can play the guitar. I only know he hasn't tried to play the guitar. It may be a surprise for you to learn that brothers do not automatically have the same knowledge, skills or interests.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
I have two Fylde custom guitars, hand made by Roger Bucknall in Penrith. ...
Having bought the 6-string, I found that my existing 12-string (Takamine EN10-12) sounded terribly dull and lifeless by comparison, so I asked Roger if he could build me a 12-string to match the 6 as closely as possible.

He had my full permission to buy them - in fact, I encouraged him to buy the 12 string. They were by way of being a memorial - whenever we have had a legacy, we have always bought something personal to remember the person. For Darllenwr, the guitars are very personal.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

I also struggle with GAS, so an acoustic is a likely purchase in the next few months.

--------------------

Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I play the 4 string variant. Main bass is a Rickenbacker 4001, and at the moment I don't have a real amp in my apartment, though I practice through a Sansamp BDDI into my computer.

Someone has to lay the backend for you guitarists' noodling.

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Sorry, MA. Sorry, all. My bad - I guess it would be a good idea to pass through the guitars and amps department the next time I go to the music store to get cymbals and other things for my drum kit!

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another leccy guitar player here.

Was a present and is Epiphone. My amp is cheap and is by HH (which doesn't stand for that thing).

I (try to) play, mainly metal. ultimate-guitar contains a lot of good tabs. Can manage a few Metallica songs and "Blood brothers" by the Maiden (daresday Marvin knows that).

Wouldn't mind picking up a bass, actually. I'm a big fan of Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geezer Butler.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I don't know any Maiden at all. Plenty of Metallica, GnR and so forth, but no Maiden...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started a thread about a year ago asking folks to give me advice on buying an electric guitar. I STILL haven't bought one yet!! However, I'm trying to rebuild my lousy credit and a basic, Squier Bullet might be in the cards in the next year. I'm still wanting an electronic drum set before I buy the guitar but methinks the guitar is more "doable", finance-wise. I like those Line 6 amps or a Roland Cube. I've noticed that Fender doesn't sell those Squier Bullets for $99 anymore. Seems those guitars are really popular and Fender decided to bump up the price a bit. Still, those aren't bad little guitars...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another bass player here. I play a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass, plus an Ibanez 5-string. My amp is a 200-watt GK 1x15, which is more than enough for moderate sized clubs and churches. It's also incredibly lightweight for its size.

Mostly I play Chicago-style Blues- Muddy Waters, BB King, etc. My six-piece band band plays mostly small clubs in the New York City area, but in March we're doing a concert at a local church.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I play an Eko Short Gun M33 through a Dean Markley RM 80 DR.

Play monthly at church, occasional rocking out with some mates.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

I've got to be honest and say that I think the rhythm section of any band - drums, bass and rhythm guitar player is the hardest part to get right.

Twiddly guitar leads and diva'ish singers are just adding the trimmings.

Respect to all bass players! The groove is the main thing.

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've mainly been a bassist in public - primarily a Washburn AB20 acoustic fretless and I've the Squire precision I started with (later ground-down to fretless with a ping-plate).

I used to have a classical 6-string but I gave that to my niece last year, then felt I missed occasional bluesy noodling so my wife got me a Gretsch G9200 resonator for Christmas, which I'm learning to use DADGAD with.

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Another bass player here. I play a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass, plus an Ibanez 5-string. My amp is a 200-watt GK 1x15, which is more than enough for moderate sized clubs and churches. It's also incredibly lightweight for its size.

Mostly I play Chicago-style Blues- Muddy Waters, BB King, etc. My six-piece band band plays mostly small clubs in the New York City area, but in March we're doing a concert at a local church.

I've been looking into getting a little amp for my apartment here. How does the GK sound at lower levels?

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've got to be honest and say that I think the rhythm section of any band - drums, bass and rhythm guitar player is the hardest part to get right.

Twiddly guitar leads and diva'ish singers are just adding the trimmings.

Respect to all bass players! The groove is the main thing.

Yep.

A band with an amazing lead guitarist and a mediocre rhythm section- mediocre.

A band with a decent lead guitarist and an amazing rhythm section- the crowd is dancing, and the band is hot. [Cool]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Electrics:

In the 1970s Gibson sued Ibanez for copying their designs. The result was Ibanez making original designs, my main electric is an Ibanez Musician mc300, one of their first originals, as good a guitar as anything Gibson have built (better than the ES335 I used to play).

I also have the best cheep guitar money can buy, a single cut Danelectro, tuned to open G and used for slide or for those Keith Richards riffs.

Acoustics:

Yamaha APX is now the main acoustic, taking over from a '70s Fender F65, which is now used for Celtic stuff tuned DADGAD, a Dorado resophonic like this Tuned open D for slidey stuff, and an old unbranded 12 string tuned down a tone, for that jangle.

FX:

Zoom G2 mutli effect pedal and A2 acoustic effects pedals and a Moreley mini-wah deal with the effects. If I could find an effects repair man I'd like to have the Boss CE2 Chorus and old Roland distortion (before they were rebranded Boss). I'd retire the Zoom if these could work again.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An Ibanez electroacoustic.

A very unladylike Ibanez "lawsuit Les Paul" from the 1970s, though an equally unladylike Laney Hardcore amp with various overdrive and delay etc pedals with a Zoom rack multi-effects unit mainly used as phaser and tremolo.

Mind you, I haven't picked up either guitar for a good year or so!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will I get thrown out if I'm not plugged in? [Help]

I have a well-loved (slightly dented) classical guitar, a Spanish flamenco number. Used mostly for the playing of the hymns, but I have been known to pick out the hook to 'Smoke on the Water' when I'm feeling a bit metal-y.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Revelle:
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:

I've been looking into getting a little amp for my apartment here. How does the GK sound at lower levels?
At 200 watts, the GK isn't really a small practice amp, but rather a somewhat compact gigging amp. It sounds great at low and loud levels.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Electrics:

In the 1970s Gibson sued Ibanez for copying their designs.

It should be noted that people had been making Gibson knock-offs for decades, without getting sued. Ibanez got sued because their guitars were every bit as good as Gibson's at half the price. My AR-50 is essentially the "lawsuit Les Paul," with minor modifications--a double cutaway and a different headstock design.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016