homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Emblems of Christianity

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Emblems of Christianity
JohnD
Apprentice
# 17518

- Posted      Profile for JohnD   Email JohnD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good evening! New member, and here to trawl your opinions on recent cases at the European Court of Human Rights.

Four Christians appeared before the Court earlier this week, appealing against their employers' disciplinary actions.
One was a Registrar who would not officiate at civil partnerships.
One was a marriage guidance councillor who would not advise single sex couples
Two had not been allowed to wear a cross on a necklace at work.

I'll not discuss the Christianity of Christians who are ready to cast the first stone before the sinner comes into the room. And one of the crucifix wearers was a British Airways clerk, so that hers was a ridiculous case that should never have happened. But the last was a nurse, who flouted the RCN Guiidelines on necklaces. Only the BA Clerk won their case.

This largely upheld the UK Judge's opinion that whereas other religions prescribed certain emblems of the faith - eg Muslim women wear a Hijab, Jewish men a Kippah and Sikhs the Five Ks - there were no such emblems for Christianity. And no need to wear them if employers said they should not.

Do the Crew of the Ship agree?
John

PS I'm an "apprentice". Surely "supplicant"?

[ 16. January 2013, 16:55: Message edited by: JohnD ]

Posts: 1 | From: North West UK | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi JohnD, and welcome to The Ship.

You'll notice, as you stroll the decks, that the various Boards have different remits (summarised at the top of the Board home page). Here in Heaven we tend to do frivol.

I will consult with my fellow Hosts as to whether this topic is better suited to more serious discussion.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The first two are dead horses.

As for the cross necklaces, a ban on the wearing on any sort of necklace for hospital is sensible, as is allowing crosses to be worn where a necklace would be allowed. I think the European court is right in this.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, it looks as if this thread has the jump on you, since it was started yesterday.

I will close this one, and we can all troop down to Purgatory.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016