homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Training Acolytes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Training Acolytes
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several children who serve as acolytes at our Sunday service. The oldest is 11, and the youngest is 6 or 7. I have one child who is too young now, but will be old enough in another year or so. I have another child who is able to serve, and occasionally does, but her parents only attend every other week and usually don't come in until we're already into the lessons.

For their ages and their lack of training, I think they're doing a marvelous job. But there are a few things I'd like to teach them how to do.

Does anyone have any ideas for embarking upon such a quest? I was thinking about perhaps doing something during the Sunday School hour one or two weeks, since none of them are in Sunday School. I would have to co-ordinate with their mothers to get them to church that early, but I think for a one-off I could manage that.

I also would love for them to have some kind of surplice or alb or something for occasions when I am albed. I think I can talk one of the grandmothers into making it, provided I can find someone to donate the material. Would it be better to purchase something ready-made? To be honest, at this point I'd even take the costumes they used at the Christmas program last year. Simple robes with a rope around the waist -- what's not to like?

If you have any links to curriculum or ideas about how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
I have several children who serve as acolytes at our Sunday service. The oldest is 11, and the youngest is 6 or 7. I have one child who is too young now, but will be old enough in another year or so. I have another child who is able to serve, and occasionally does, but her parents only attend every other week and usually don't come in until we're already into the lessons.

For their ages and their lack of training, I think they're doing a marvelous job. But there are a few things I'd like to teach them how to do.

Does anyone have any ideas for embarking upon such a quest? I was thinking about perhaps doing something during the Sunday School hour one or two weeks, since none of them are in Sunday School. I would have to co-ordinate with their mothers to get them to church that early, but I think for a one-off I could manage that.

I also would love for them to have some kind of surplice or alb or something for occasions when I am albed. I think I can talk one of the grandmothers into making it, provided I can find someone to donate the material. Would it be better to purchase something ready-made? To be honest, at this point I'd even take the costumes they used at the Christmas program last year. Simple robes with a rope around the waist -- what's not to like?

If you have any links to curriculum or ideas about how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

On your second point, I would co-ordinate with your parish Priest/MU to see if you could get some funds together to buy them new, I would always prefer to buy something like that new, however if the Parish is short on cash for this you can get templates and if you go around looking on ebay for example you can find the sort of material you are looking for out there.

As for training them, you indicate that they have had some experience already which helps as a starting point! Your idea of doing it during Sunday School is a good idea, set up a little pretend sanctuary where possible so that they are able to walk around the space, getting used to it. Think also about how you went about learning the ropes, certainly mine was a case of on the job being gently guided by an old hand through it, but I know it wasn't the best way to learn really, my first few weeks must have looked a little scruffy. I do believe there are guides out there (it is something I started doing myself last year but the world got in the way and I haven't done anything great with it yet) have a google for online guides and books and find one that best fits your needs.

If you wished to consider it in their training, doing a bit where you explain the symbolism of actions/liturgical colours/dress etc. is a good idea as well.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you!

A bit of clarification is perhaps in order... I'm the pastor, so while I don't exactly have the purse strings, I can certainly mention it at the next administrative board meeting.

I learned how to be an acolyte on the Ship, and from St. Percy's book, within the past five years. When I was growing up, our family was decidedly low-candle, and I never knew what acolytes were or what they did. So my own learning experience is probably not the best one to mimic. Still, I take your point, and I'll see what I can do. I have an unused Sunday School room which I can set up as a chapel of sorts and use that for training.

Thanks again. Any other helpful suggestions are welcome.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church Publishing lists several acolyte training guides. I have seen patterns for surplices etc.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
Church Publishing lists several acolyte training guides. I have seen patterns for surplices etc.

Another one from Church Publishing - highly recommended.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am Assistant Priest in our parish and am currently training some acolytes. Their duties are very specific to our local church and so not necessarily exactly what a training guide might suggest. Expectations were discussed with the Priest-in-charge and I wrote a short guidebook for them.

We already have some little ones who process in and out carrying Bible, Prayer Book etc. No cross or candles. They wear a surplice. We have 4 surplices, 2 were purchased some years ago. I made 1 smaller one and 1 bigger one to accommodate the differing needs. As they are quite young (7 to 10), they were trained by a couple of chats beforehand and general guidance on the spot. We also have a 4 year old unofficial acolyte who follows her sister, copying her exactly.

Three servers are currently in training. This consists of 10 minutes in the church after the service, every week that they and I are present. 10 minutes fits into the time when the congregation is finding its way to coffee etc and is not long to wait for those who will clear everything away. Also, no extra time-slot to find for them or for me.

We started in November and I believe they will be ready by early January. It would have been quicker but they are not all there every week and I would like them all to be ready at the same time.

The servers will wear an alb which I will make. Actually 2 albs, as 1 server is somewhat taller than the other 2. We cannot afford new retail prices. Unfortunately I appear to be the only grandmother who sews. Times change. This is a task of privilege but I could really do without it at this busy time of year. But needs must.

Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done this myself, so take this with a pinch of salt, but some instincts from a former teacher who's almost finished seminary...

First, work out what you want them to do. It sounds obvious, but if you're not clear in your head about what serving is going to look like in your church you're not going to be able to communicate it. Next, see if you can break that down into entry-level skills and more advanced ones. The entry-level ones would be things which are simpler, happen frequently (if possible, every week) and don't require any leadership of others. Then, work out some kind of progression scheme where people do the basic role for a while (and demonstrate confidence in it) before moving up the ladder. To give a Catholic example of this, at the basilica you start as a server, can then train as a thurifer, and finally as an emcee. Only the proven servers are invited to serve complicated liturgies, like the Triduum.

Do as much of your training as you can in the church, not a classroom. I'd only use the classroom for some catechesis that isn't directly training -- and it probably would be a good idea to do some of this. If they have a basic understanding of why the things they and you are doing fit together to make a service they'll find the details much easier to remember and stand a better chance of being able to pray while doing it.

Lastly, if these are kids who like ceremony, give them some! Commission them liturgically and pray for them.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Do as much of your training as you can in the church, not a classroom. I'd only use the classroom for some catechesis that isn't directly training -- and it probably would be a good idea to do some of this.

My reasoning for suggesting having a practice area set up was because from the o/p it sounded like Friar didn't wish to antagonise parents more than he has to and although it might not be true, Sunday School tends to overlap with the main Church service making use of thechurcha little difficult at times...
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hart gives good advice.

Since being acolyte is a ministry of worship leadership, I'd enlarge on what Hart says by suggesting that the basic skills involve re-learning what we think we already know:  Posture, gesture, and gait.

Decide how you want acolytes (adults and children) to sit and stand and walk. Decide what you want them to do with their eyes and with their hands.

You probably want to strike a balance between the classical Anglocatholic po face and a happy-clappy anything goes.

Once you begin to inculcate a standard of behavior, the children will help their peers in reinforcing the desired attitude toward worship that is expressed in their posture, gesture, and gait.

Make sure that every acolyte understands (children and adults) that the actual duties they carry out are subordinate in gravity to the manner in which they carry them out. They will make mistakes, but the key is riding out the mistakes with aplomb.

Create an acolyte schedule and make sure the families understand the importance of showing up when they are scheduled. Make it the acolyte's responsibility to find her replacement should she not be able to service on a day she is scheduled.

Don't underestimate the ability to influence the worship attitude of the congregation through the behavior you instill in the acolytes. Make sure the style of acolyting initially matches the current worship ethos of the congregation, while understanding that you can lovingly shift congregational practices through the example of the (child) acolytes.

I'm back to add that there is no substitute for practicing in the worship space. The acolytes (children and adult) must feel respectfully comfortable in a space which is theirs.

[ 22. December 2012, 15:39: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a Server Today: A resource for all who assist at the liturgy, buy my friends and former colleagues Brendan Clover and Chris verity - is a good anglican catholic ( but not fussy high church )and very human, book. See here.

[ 22. December 2012, 16:53: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I returned to serving after a very long time and was run through a 1 day training session, all of us had done it before so we knew mopre or less what to do.
Co-ordinate with the Rector, pr priest who hand;es servers et. al.
Always be thankful you have servers , I have had times, even years when I have been sole server present.
And always be flexible, servers may need to take time off too.
A blessed Christmas [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the nice things about serving at my current shack is that we all have little laminated cards outlining the job duties. The laminated cards live in the vesting sacristy for review, but if you're newish or haven't done a gig recently, they fit nicely in the pocket of a cassock.

I took mine along with me yesterday as I hadn't been MC in a few months.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We employ junior servers at our family service. They wear simple (and v easy to make) white tabards so one size fits all and they are put on/off in seconds - a bonus.

The children carry out all the serving tasks under the direction of a senior server. They are told very clearly by the senior server that if anything goes wrong it is the fault of the senior server for not spotting the problem and dealing with it!

Rather than using large acolyte candles and cross we use a pair of smaller/lighter altar candles which the children place on the altar.
We have fashioned very simply a lightweight and short children's cross for them to carry and they do well!

As far as how and when to teach, the first thing we did was to have a teaching eucharist in which the celebrant gathered all the children and any interested adults around the altar and explained what we did and why, in an illuminating fashion. The only complaint was from an adult who asked why we hadn't done that before.

Having explained WHAT we do at the altar, and involved the juinor servers, we then had a second teaching eucharist in which the 'jobs' of all those who take active part in the service were explained as the jobs were carried out - almost like having a running commentary. This was done by the Deacon so that the Priest was not prevented/incumbered in trying to celebrate the holy mysteries.

People seemed to like it and have asked for more teaching: a double win!

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS there is a rather good little book called the St Stephens Handbook for Altar Servers published under the auspices of the RC and which is clear, simple and readily used.
Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

I talked to the lay leadership of the church last night about wanting to train acolytes, and they're in agreement with me. I'm going to check out all the resources mentioned on this thread and try to narrow it down to the most useful thing. Worst case scenario is that I write my own, but that's not a big deal if it comes to it.

Thanks for the help!

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
One of the nice things about serving at my current shack is that we all have little laminated cards outlining the job duties. The laminated cards live in the vesting sacristy for review, but if you're newish or haven't done a gig recently, they fit nicely in the pocket of a cassock.

I took mine along with me yesterday as I hadn't been MC in a few months.

What a good idea. So many of the published books don't always work locally. A local card could be hard work to get right, but could pay off. Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016