homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » REG 1 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: REG 1
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dave Hill (Slade) had the car registration no. YOB 1. Outside a very grand house, I saw the car registration no. 5 NOB.

In this game, suggest a type of person for the next person to supply a suitable reg. Then they need to give the next category to keep the game moving. It will work best if you come up with what would be a believably real registration no. for your country (with the right combination of letters and numbers).
For example, in GB, a dustman could have the reg. no. D1 RTY.

So, to kick off, what would be a good car reg. for:

A banker

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B0 NUS

a teacher

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TUT 0R

taxidermist

Does thus game work outside the UK?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1STUFEM

No, it really doesn't work in the US, where there's a grand tradition of vanity plates—any combination of up to seven letters or numbers is good. I'm not sure how UK/Euro plates work, to be honest

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
1STUFEM

No, it really doesn't work in the US, where there's a grand tradition of vanity plates—any combination of up to seven letters or numbers is good. I'm not sure how UK/Euro plates work, to be honest

Ariston 1STUFEM is really cool but u forgot to suggest another person type for the rest of us...

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear. Hate it when I do that.

Anesthesiologist

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOP41N

Organist

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

S7 OPZ

'Cellist

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
L0 5TRS

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

. . . and, because we need a new category, how about an OB/GYN

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sorry - looks like you gave it, Ariston. Now what?

[ 24. September 2012, 15:21: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Someone else answers it, and we carry on. You may, if you'd like.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

BA81 FOU

Chef

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JAM 1E

lawyer

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
L1BEL

Aviator

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Does this game work outside the UK?

Not really: I have had two vanity plates in my life: SURF'N on my hot-rodded surfer van when I was at university and MASSER (surname) on a VW Beetle we used to have. You can get up to 7 characters in the US.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's any help, UK registrations can be in the following formats:

AB 1234 - any number from 1 to 9999, any combination of letters
1234 AB - as above

ABC 123 - any number from 1 to 999, any combination of letters
123 ABC - as above

ABC 123A - any number from 1 to 999, any combination of letters
A123 ABC - as above

AB00ABC - any number from 00 to 99, any combination of letters

They do lend themselves rather well to making words, especially if you use a wee bit of (a) imagination and (b) poetic licence. For instance, I'd quite like to have P16LET, and I've seen in Real Life DAV1E and W1LMA.

Back to the aviator:

P1LOT

Next: Clergyman

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

CUR 8

rubbish collector

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TRA 5H

Zookeeper

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
L10 NGR

Carpark wheel clamper

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
C1 AMP
or
IC14 MPU

Astrologer

[ 25. September 2012, 12:52: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

P14NET

Farmer

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
P70 UGH

Gangster

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

RKR4Y

Publican/barman/barmaid

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Is
P1NTA
too simple?

Carpenter

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

P1ANK

Roadsweeper

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

BRU 5H

Painter and decorator

[ 26. September 2012, 15:22: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

PL45TER

Policeman

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

C0 PER

RooK

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

ADM 1 N

Singer

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

MUS 1C

AN74EMS

clown

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

FUN1 4ACE

Gymnast

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

H1 BAR

Secretary

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

T1 P0

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

. . . or T1 PST

Villige Idiot

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

B3RK

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Actually, that format was introduced in August 2001, so the numbers run from 51 to 99

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I'll try again. village idiot

IM83CLE

Young offender

[ 28. September 2012, 22:20: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Actually, that format was introduced in August 2001, so the numbers run from 51 to 99
I didn't want to over-complicate things - and plates with 00 in them might be useful [Big Grin] . I think my sister once had something like SL00FHY, which she referred to affectionately as "Sloofy".

Anyway, back to the Young Offender:

AS80

Geneticist

edited for coding bollocks

[ 29. September 2012, 00:22: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry - that was maybe a bit esoteric (I work for a geneticist). I'd suggest possibly

DNA 1.

How about schoolteacher?

[ 30. September 2012, 01:58: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

CLA55

Archdeacon

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HOL 13R ..?

Osteopath

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

BON3S or, if the 1s are really close together, JO11NTS

Undertaker

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

H34RSE

Jeweller

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AU24 CTS

Jewel thief

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Um, not quite. September registrations run (or will run) from 51 to 99; March registrations from 02 to 49 or possibly 50.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Jewel thief:

H31STS

Professional footballer

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

K16KER

hairdresser

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

CUT1T

or, if you're feeling adventurous, DYE1T

When I posted "footballer" I was thinking W4YNE - I wonder if Mr. Rooney has that one ... [Big Grin]

confectioner

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

CAK3S

Juggler

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016