homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Magic of Friendship: The Official My Little Pony Thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Magic of Friendship: The Official My Little Pony Thread
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've discussed about every other TV show on this boards, we're even getting into radio shows, so now it's time for discussing what may be the most publicized, yet most underrated, show currently on TV: My Little Pony.

Personally, I think a Marxist/feminist reading of the show is in order. What does it mean that the revolutionary younger Princess of the Night attempts to usurp the throne of her tyrannical older sister, is banished to the moon for a thousand years, and, once back in power, is magically brainwashed into conforming with both the values espoused by her "good" sister (who decided what good was anyway? Princess Celestia herself?) and her predetermined role as both mare and younger sibling. Yes, a pony can be anything her destiny wants her to be—unless she's Luna, in which case she's the also-ran sub-princess. So much for "one is not born, but rather becomes, mare."

All the ponies in this town are CRAZY ! - Twilight Sparkle

[ 11. February 2013, 19:38: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the subtle undertow of neo-theosophist mysticism which subverts the would-be materialist dialectic, which in turn supports an essentially Aristotelian reading of the ethical paradigm. You have to wonder what Descartes would have made of it all.

PS I have never seen the programme - does this matter?

Are you a SPY? - Rainbow Dash

[ 11. February 2013, 19:40: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Axe murder] Marvin [Axe murder]

You look like you'd be good at eating cupcakes ! - Pinkie Pie

[ 11. February 2013, 19:42: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's RooK when you need him, huh?

I'm just glad I haven't been replaced by a bucket of turnips. - Rainbow Dash

[ 11. February 2013, 19:44: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love you too, Pyx [Axe murder]

As for MLP, there's only one question that matters as far as I'm concerned. I mean, OK they're living in a dystopian radiation-addled world where all the humans are dead and ponies have become mutated into flourescent colours, but none of that explains why they all have tramp stamps.

WHY??? Why do all the ponies have tramp stamps??? WHAT DOES IT MEAN???????? [Ultra confused]

You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer ! - Pinkie Pie

[ 11. February 2013, 19:46: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the lesbian subtext I really respond to.

Just try googling...

It's no use. No matter what we try we always end up without our cutie marks; and surprisingly often covered in tree sap. - Scootaloo

[ 11. February 2013, 19:48: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feel like I've logged in to the wrong board and am surrounded by bronies.

Whining ? I am not "whining". I am complaining. Do you want to hear "whining" ? (whines obnoxiously) This is whining ! Ooohhhh ! This harness is too tight ! It's going to chafe ! Can't you loosen it ?! OH ! It hurts and it's so rusty ! Why didn't you clean it first ?! It's gonna leave a stain, and the wagon's getting heavy ! Why do I have to pull it ?! - Rarity

[ 11. February 2013, 19:51: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd just be careful of any Romanian Horse Dealers hanging around the stable ... or even any mention of supermarkets

No I'm not, I'm a chicken ! BAGAWK ! - Pinkie Pie

[ 11. February 2013, 19:53: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin the Martian:
quote:
WHY??? Why do all the ponies have tramp stamps??? WHAT DOES IT MEAN????????
The Ponytariets need their opiate- obviously they are religious symbols. And they also probably indicate membership in rigid classes of Ponies. And notice you never see a Pony without a symbol emblazoned on its ass? Were you to see such a Pony, I believe that Pony would also be in harness and servitude to its indolent, Unharnessed OverPonies in the stables where the mucking out is going on. [Paranoid]

Why, am I not royal enough for you ? Don't you know who I am ? - Princess Luna / Nightmare Moon

[ 11. February 2013, 19:55: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mmmmmmmmmmmm burgers ...... lasagne

Well, well, well. It seems we have some "neigh-sayers" in the audience. - Trixie

[ 11. February 2013, 19:57: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since this is such a serious subject, I think it will do much better in Purgatory.

Please keep all bunny ears and powder puff tails in the thread at all times. Down we go.

jedijudy
Heaven H.o.s.t

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smarty Pants
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a long-time fan, I simply have to say that Ariston's analysis is spot-on. What sort of paradise uses a shady hereditary monarchy? Do we have certain proof of Princess Celestia's ancestry? How do we know she's not secretly responsible for the Great Changling Invasion of last year? I think there's a plot afoot to keep down the efforts of the New Lunar Republic!

Don't you worry your pretty little head about mean old Gilda ! Your Aunty Pinkie Pie's got it all taken care of! - Pinkie Pie

[ 11. February 2013, 19:58: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

IP: Logged
Cedd007
Shipmate
# 16180

- Posted      Profile for Cedd007   Email Cedd007       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an ex advertising copywriter my heart sank when I first saw their commercials. Twenty years later my daughters finally threw away two black bags full of the *@#^&! things.

We tried persuasion, charm, whatever it is Pinkie Pie does... - Rainbow Dash

[ 11. February 2013, 19:59: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 58 | From: Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smarty Pants:
As a long-time fan, I simply have to say that Ariston's analysis is spot-on.

I must say, you are certainly more flexible than I had though, Ariston. Being able to kiss your own tramp stamp.

Secrets and lies ! It's all secrets and lies with those ponies ! - Pinkie Pie

[ 12. February 2013, 07:07: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Smarty Pants
unregistered

what? ariston? never met him, much less had him kiss my mark . . . look, what are you insinuating? im just a loyal companion, thats all!

What fun is there in making sense ? - Discord

[ 12. February 2013, 07:09: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The anti-drug message is subtle, but strong nevertheless, don't you agree?

Hold on a second! Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, guys! Chocolate rain ! - Pinkie Pie

[ 12. February 2013, 07:11: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anti-drug? I thought My Little Pony encouraged drug use. Anything to make it stop.

Out of all things that could happen, this is THE WORST POSSIBLE THING ! - Rarity

[ 12. February 2013, 07:12: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I SAID it was subtle.
Sheesh, some people don't get clever. The drama, the pathos and the clean message the ponies send to society...

I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her ! - Twilight Sparkle

[ 12. February 2013, 07:14: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The CIA considered forcing detainees to watch MLP, but switched to waterboarding as a less cruel option.

Epigram (Appears to be missing.)
I never thought it would happen. My friends... have turned into complete JERKS! - Twilight Sparkle

[ 12. February 2013, 20:01: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight Sparkle is my homegirl.

Man is a messenger who forgot the message. - Abraham Joshua Heschel

[ 12. February 2013, 19:59: Message buggered about with by: Gwai ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the quote from an equine with which you are going to adorn your post is what ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(bah, crosspost)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Little Pony was pwned by Teddy Ruxpin anyway.

"The flowers that bloom in the Spring, trala, have nothing to do with the case." - Gilbert & Sullian.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expected this thread to be about horse meat pretending to be beef. Pony meat for small families.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smarty Pants
unregistered

and here i was hoping we could talk about the show, especially since im on it. you and your TESCO burgers. don't eat my friends! i like them!
and not cooked either. you dont eat your friends do you? even if they might be tasty when grilled.

I like it better my way, but I guess when you're friends, you can't always have things exactly your way all the time —Discord

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016