homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mysterious math functions solved

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mysterious math functions solved
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indian Mathematician Proved right after 90 Years.
Pretty cool stuff.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's fascinating, lilBuddha, but can you give us some guidance on the conversation you would like to have here?

Remember, this is a discussion forum! [Smile]

jedijudy
Helpful Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. [Hot and Hormonal]

Right. As my maths are not near to that level, but how about the death bed revelation, how far ahead of his time he was, the level of genius it requires to make such jumps. Any run-of-the-mill smart person can make a stab at understanding Einstein, but how many could jump as far as he? This man was one such. More rare than hen's teeth I would say. All of that I find fascinating and worthy of discussion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't read the whole article because that page for some reason hung up my computer (I'm at work on my lunch break). But I did notice that he "thought about math so much" he flunked out of college twice! Uh huh. He was thinking about math too much.

It's interesting how the brain works. Clearly, his was working something out subconsciously. We already know that this is fairly common, and it's why "sleeping on it" or taking a break often help us solve problems. Fascinating!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got crashed out at work too.

Clearly the Powers That Be(TM) don't want us to find out about mathematics...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or they ant you to sleep on it and work it out for yourself.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
I got crashed out at work too.

Clearly the Powers That Be(TM) don't want us to find out about mathematics...

If I were paranoid I'd suggest the last thing the PTB want is people working out for themselves what the PTB know - and a bit more besides!

Apart from getting clean, I find the shower is useful for insights. That scalp rubbing must help.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
It's interesting how the brain works. Clearly, his was working something out subconsciously. We already know that this is fairly common, and it's why "sleeping on it" or taking a break often help us solve problems. Fascinating!

A common joke in the maths world is that a mathematician is someone who comes home, lays on the bed, turns the lights out and starts work.

Interestingly Ramanujan tended to come up with assertions, not proofs. And sometimes they were wrong though he did have a high success rate. Apart from the profound ones some were simple formulae such as those here which are a little suspect: de-nesting radicals is complicated but producing new example is much easier (in the same way it's easier to make up a cryptic cross word clue than to solve).

That it took so long to prove this particular result is impressive. Though of course there are lots of older unproved conjectures. For some reason the most commonly quoted is Goldbach's Conjecture: every even number greater than two can be written as the sum of two primes in at least one way. Eg 118 = 101+17. Prove that and Mr Goldbach will be forgotten and mathematicians will have to find a new conjecture that can be explained to non mathematicians. There is something called the generalized Fermat problem, like the familiar 'last problem' but more so.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not at all sure that dreams are "unconscious" or " subconscious" in any literal way. Just usually forgotten, which is not quite the same thing. I'm pretty sure I am conscious while asleep, but there is a sort of moving window of memory so when I wake up I only recall the last few seconds or at the most minutes of whatever I was thinking/dreaming about. Sometimes that doesn't work and I remember hours of being asleep and dreaming - last night was one such, not that my rather weird and mildly unpleasant dream was anything like as interesting as Ramanujan's functions.

But then Ramanujan was famously weird. I thought this might be about him when I opened the thread.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016