homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is just gone midnight so early morning 01.01.2012 in the Chatham Islands so Happy New Year to all the Down Under shippies! Here’s your shiny new thread for 2012.

Treat this thread gently, it's only a baby.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year, y'all

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And from me too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched the fireworks from my balcony. Quite a decent view. Had I gone upstairs to roof garden I may have seen the whole bridge as well. Not sure how many were up there.

And a much quicker journey to bed than trying bus or train.

Again, a happy new year to all on board.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year Everyone! I watched the fireworks on the telly, but I did have a flute of champagne to enliven the experience.

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2012 salutations to all our Ship friends. May the year ahead be good to you!

FD and I spent the first few minutes of his new employment meeting members of the congregation and watching far distant fireworks on the bay and in the city. It will be an exciting year for us I think!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic to hear from you Clarence, and to hear of FD. I miss him.
Happy new year, Aussies and Kiwis. And everyone.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year!

Lovely boozy party at the home of the local police- we all knew how not to drink and drive, lol. It was fun.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings to all, from one of the less waterlogged parts of NZ – no, we're not currently resident at Matarangi, where the nearest music festival struggled on surrounded by knee-deep mud.

As someone on TV said, may we greet each new day like one unwrapping a New Year's present.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A happy and safe new year to all. Went to bed early-ish as I have to preach today. Did have some nice sparkling wine though.

Clarence, my prayer for you and FD is that the new ministry will be all it could be.

I just bought a 1997 Saab 900 S. It is lovely.

[Votive] for Christchurch and areas of Melbourne whose Christmas presents were either shaky or extremely wet.

[Votive] for an end to the various conflicts around the world.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All was very quiet around here this morning, even Parramatta Road was quiet. Woke up, looked at clock and found I had three minutes to be showered, dressed and out the door. [Hot and Hormonal]

Actually I was behind from the moment of opening eyes. Lift here broke down on 22/12 and it takes much longer to walk down from three floors up, than it does to come in lift.

O--s have a notice on lift doors that it will be fixed as soon as possible. There were four non-public holidays last week. [Mad]

I could have gone up to roof garden for fireworks, there's a good full view of bridge. However I looked from my balcony and was surprised ho much I could see. Perhaps not the full detail but could see displays from five or six of the launching sites and much of the finale.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy new year. To new beginnings.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:

I'm suitably Jealous! I'd even forgive it for having an automatic gearbox where you live.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bugga, what a wy to start the year. Noticed a pain in my foot last when walking back to the car after the fireworks. Just thought we had been sitting too long. Woke up this morning and it was agony putting my foot to the ground. Finally went to the Medical Centre to learn that I have damaged a tendon(s), will know more after xray on Tuesday. Meanwhile stay off feet.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ow, sorry to hear that GOG. Take it easy!

I was in bed and fast asleep by 10.30pm last night. Missed the lot - retrospectives, news, fireworks, parties...but it was lovely sitting tucked up in bed with my five year old grandson reading him funny bedtime stories, while TP watched a war epic with his big brother.

New Years Day began with the fabulously quaint Diocesan Rite service up at the cathedral. It was like being sucked into a time tunnel! I loved it. [Big Grin]

Happy 2012 everyone!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's too hot! [Frown]

I mostly slept through last night's celebrations - briefly woken by fireworks and cheers, but not enough to be really disturbed. 2011 felt like one of the worst years of my life (I was mostly screening the drama on Facebook rather than on the ship) so here's to a good 2012.

Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watched the spectacular Sydney fireworks on tv, but now I'm feeling very disturbed at the cost - it seems an obscene amount of money to send up in smoke.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm always torn on the cost of such community events BIB, all bread and circuses to keep us from getting too upset about our frightful lack of adequate infrastructure, public education and health.

I had plans for NYE but all thwarted when I heard Dad was feeling really dizzy and couldn't walk properly on 30th. Thank God for the A&E at the San in Wahroonga-private so no 10 hour waits. After 2 nights in hospital the neurologist ascertained he hadn't had a stroke. He was discharged today, halleluhah, but after staying with him in emergency til midnight on the night of the 30th and going back the next day, I had a glass of wine at my sister's and went home to bed at 10.30. The boom of the fireworks woke me up at midnight but I rolled over and went back to sleep, dreaming I was on a ship being attacked by canons. Pretty crappy NYE but a great NY to learn that what I thought was the start of a slow decline into multiple strokes (this happened to my Grandmother) was only an inner ear problem, likely caused by him doing too much over the Christmas holiday! Yay.

Happy NY everyone. Now organising for trip to Fiji in a few days.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yay indeed.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Great news for you and your dad, Evangeline. Glad it's not a stroke but your Dad has my sympathies as a longtime sufferer of many ear infections.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Nan, Gladys (I suppose that would make her Gladys Knight around here [Biased] [Waterworks] ) died today in hospital. We are told she likely experienced no pain. As she lived with my Mum after my Dad died when I was a little tacker, I grew up with her. I will miss her very much. Father God has her now. She was 95.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More big aftershocks in Chch. Are you home yet Huia?

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DK: [Votive] May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

That's tough on you and the family, to begin the year with a funeral.{(hugs)}

Given the situation in Christchurch, I was somewhat gobsmacked to turn the tv on yesterday just in time to catch the movie Earthquake, with Charlton Heston in it. The primitive special effects in the old flop were laughable compared to what we've been witnessing next door to Oz. It did make me wonder what on earth the programmers were thinking, but certainly stirred my thoughts towards Chch.

[Votive] again.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As GG said ... so it goes on

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As said elsewhere, DK ... [Votive] s for you and all the Pips ( [Biased] ) [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Prayers for you all, DK. I was very close to one of my grandmothers and still occasionally dream about her. It's hard to see what is an integral part of life move on.

Prayers still continuing for Huia and her city.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] DK and family.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for DK, his family and Gladys K from all of us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sorry to hear about your Nan DK. [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Meanwhile a bloody great Great Dane (something tautologous there [Ultra confused] ) has wonderd into our poperty for the thrid time in six months, and is making himself at home (actually he's locked in our laundry).

I'd keep (and neuter) him, except we have two dogs, and may have about ten by the end of the week.

[ 01. January 2012, 22:38: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

I'm suitably Jealous! I'd even forgive it for having an automatic gearbox where you live.
What an assumption! It has a manual gearbox! [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

[Votive] for DK

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
What an assumption! It has a manual gearbox! [Big Grin]

Humble apologies - (self-flagelates). I didn't know that model came out with a manual. Praise be to God!

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
My Nan, Gladys (I suppose that would make her Gladys Knight around here [Biased] [Waterworks] ) died today in hospital. We are told she likely experienced no pain. As she lived with my Mum after my Dad died when I was a little tacker, I grew up with her. I will miss her very much. Father God has her now. She was 95.

Sorry for your loss DK.

She sounded like a grand lady from what you posted on FB [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Here's one which would horrify Eccles denizens.

I passed a shop today in Leichhardt, also known as Little Italy. It sells very fancy frilly clothing for small children.

There was a list of occasions covered printed professionally on the glass door. One was "Holly Communion."

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DK, sorry to hear about your Nan- [Votive]

Hi everyone - just home. We all got off thr bus and a nasty wee quake hit," Welcome to Christchuch everyone" I said.

I was lucky in missing the 5.7 this morning but came home to find the knife block in the sink. That seems to be the only thing affected because I put the TV on the floor before I left and a lot of stuff is still packed. There are advantages in being a procrastinator!

Wellington was a nightmare, but I have the best brothers in the world, which made it easier.

I would say "Happy New Year" but it feels a bit hollow to me at the moment.

Loth, that brought a laugh - I love the idea of "holly Communion".

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question: when do aftershocks stop being aftershocks and become earthquakes in their own right?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] DK and family

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete I really don't know the technical answer to that and tend to use the words interchangeably [Hot and Hormonal] .

Initially I had thought that location was the key. For example the first (Sept 4 2010) was centred on a previously unknown fault to the west of the city, as were the initial shocks after it, but the there was another event in Nov that year (about mag 5) centred at the Port (to the west) which some seismologists said was on another faultline, so was a seperate earthquake, (and was accepted as such for insurance purposes, but only after being argued in the High Court).

Certainly a magnitude 6 quake will have aftershocks (and apparently a pattern is emerging of the approxmate number and severity), but it is possible to have aftershocks that are of a larger magnitide than the initial quake. (which seems a bit weird to me).

What some seisemologists are saying is that what has happened and is happening in Canterbury is markedly different to other such events, or series of events around the world.

The silly buggers are really excited about this [Roll Eyes]

That's unfair of me, as it does help to have an understanding of what is happening, but like many Cantabrians I just want it all to be over.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
like many Cantabrians I just want it all to be over
I don't blame you, the quakes and aftershocks are so unrelenting. It must be hard to "heal" when you can't just move on and begin reconstruction. [Votive]

Weather is beautiful in Sydney today, wish I was at the SCG...Hilfenhaus is on a hat trick as I type.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Such a lovely change in the weather, Evangeline. I could live without channel 9 but I'd like to watch the cricket. Son is coming over this week to see if he can fix it. Otherwise, I'll have to dig out paperwork for it.

What's January without the cricket? Especially at SCG.

Edited to add: India all out 191.

[ 03. January 2012, 03:56: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be watching it in the flesh tomorrow, might update as the day progresses.

Loved Tin Tin this afternoon

mr curly

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Newest grandson is sprouting a Tin Tin hair lick. It's very cute.
New iphone purchased yesterday. BL is now trying to get her head around the technology innit. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

BAsking in teh glory of Clarke and Ponting. A great day to go to the cricket!

Another highlight was Bob and Blanche in the crowd near Swarmi Army. Priceless.

Indian cricketers not applauding centuries and double centuries - made them look very bad.

mr curly

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and to me NOT applauding seems to go against the spirit of the game - I am pretty appalled by that.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...and to me NOT applauding seems to go against the spirit of the game - I am pretty appalled by that.

I was thinking earlier that you chose a great day for SCG, Mr Curly.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

I was thinking earlier that you chose a great day for SCG, Mr Curly.
Still sulking perhaps after being kept waiting 15 minutes by Julia?

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
[QUOTE]Still sulking perhaps after being kept waiting 15 minutes by Julia?

Who do they think they are? Alan Jones? Their bus was early, after all.

mr curly

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a quiet New Year - absolutely exhausted after spending the week since Christmas Eve with mum in ICU in Sydney - but she has turned the corner and is much better now.

My parish have been very diligent in prayer and supportive in all sorts of ways, and very patient in not expecting too much of their parish priest whilst all this has been going on!

So the New Year starts with prayers answered, and the promise of a steady flow of friends from Melanesia during the year. Happy New Year!

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news about your mother, DD.

[Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016