homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Irn-Bru Special (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Irn-Bru Special
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Snow! Lots of snow!!

Big kid! You won't be saying that in January.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I won't be saying it next week, if the school bus doesn't run!!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always enjoyed snow and I remember playing in it with lots of children some of course teenagers, in Dundee where we lived, and they did lots of "human beings".

Another thing: did you lot hear the news about and hour, about Scots Presbyterian church and buildings in Israel and Sots who lived there? They talked and told us about how they were there and not prejudiced.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if it's the same thing, but there's a thread in Purgatory about a hotel in Galilee run by the Kirk.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had this week off and been at home - I tried to go for a walk every day (weather permitting), I didn't think I'd be able to today looking at the rain this morning, but by lunchtime there were blue skies and it wasn't too cold so I wandered out to the park and saw snow-capped peaks in the distance. The Ochils didn't have snow, but the mountains further north certainly did. It was really beautiful [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in full mind-boggle mode. DC Thomson are selling "bronze portrait busts" of the Broons at £132 each. That's £1452 for the complete set of 11 Broons. Who would pay £132 for a bronze Broon?
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another thing I just saw on my computer this morning: Irn-Bru but not us. Should it be attached to another one? A long time ago it was absolute just one taste. They say it may be cheaper, and less work for speople, who may have to get different work to get money.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And we've been shown pictures on TV about the huge amounts of water in bits of Scotland. It looks scarey, but not everywhere. I hope it gets better, and also the trees being cut down too.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems very localised: I didn't even notice it being that wet hereabouts. But I'm sorry for Comrie (of the earthquakes) - it's a lovely wee village.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It's soggy here, but no more than that.

Last night the council revealed its plans for more building in our area, just on the edge of the flood plain. Their plans showed the limits of a "1-in-200-years-flood" I pointed out that there had been a few of these 1-in-200-year-floods during the last 200 years. I think the ballpark figure is 9. Council person told me that calculating these figures wasn't as simple as looking back at the historic records (which would make them 1-in-40-year-floods.) Apparently 1-in-200-years doesn't refer to how frequently they happen. [Paranoid]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
It's soggy here, but no more than that.

Last night the council revealed its plans for more building in our area, just on the edge of the flood plain. Their plans showed the limits of a "1-in-200-years-flood" I pointed out that there had been a few of these 1-in-200-year-floods during the last 200 years. I think the ballpark figure is 9. Council person told me that calculating these figures wasn't as simple as looking back at the historic records (which would make them 1-in-40-year-floods.) Apparently 1-in-200-years doesn't refer to how frequently they happen. [Paranoid]

Quite so. It refers to how likely they will be in the future. Once in forty years covers any political career and most local government careers too, so it looks like they take a "it shouldn't happen twice on my watch" view and go from there.

It hasn't worked in places like Tewkesbury though, which has had two 1:100 year floods in ten years.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

In my village, historically, they've clustered. So there were three floods, two of them 1-in-200 year floods within one decade (1865-1875). I appreciate that conditions are quite different now (different population, drainage system, extent of ground built over) but if the houses in the main street in our village were 4 ft deep in water then, I can't imagine them not flooding at all in similar weather conditions today.

One council spokesman said he could understand my point because his own previous house had been flooded twice, 6 years apart, by 1-in-200-year floods.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And there is another BAD FORECAST for weather in lots of Scotland. Our homes were always up hills and up the top of homes and so we never got loads of water into us. But one of the school places got wet!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

St Andrews Day greetings to all Shipmates!
The sky is a wintry pearly pinky-grey with an almost full moon clearly visible, everything outside is white and frosty, the neighbours' birch tree stands stark and bare against the sky and I'm cosy inside with a mug of coffee reading a nineteenth century newspaper online. Bliss!

Hope your days are starting out well, too.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy St Andrew's Day!!

Many Canadian aboriginals have more than a drop of Scots blood and a lot of French-Canadians do, as well. The ex-pat Scots settled down really well in the Canadian Wilderness after the 1759 incidents.

One of my great-Grandparents was a French-speaking McNicoll. His grandparents were Scots Presbyterians.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our school's nursery put on a St. Andrew's Day Ceilidh complete with a piper and Kathleen MacInnes. The kids sang songs in Gaelic and Engish and danced, and we parents got to enjoy some homemade scones, shortbread, and millionaire shortbread. A fine wee celebration for Latha Naomh Anndra (Saint Andrew's Day).
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

That sounds great for the school performing at St Andrew's day!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy St Andrew's Day!

I am having stovies to celebrate. [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We celebrated St Andrew's Day with that other Scottish staple - curry [Smile]

Haven't there been some amazing skies this week? Loads of pink skies, especially on my morning journey to work as the sun comes up. It's been beautiful, and (almost) takes my mind off the temperature.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the aureoles round the full(ish) moon have also been spectacular.

There has been beautiful hoarfrost the last few days as well, and wonderful sunset after glows.

Just a pity it's bloody freezing and dark by four.

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Headed down to Peebles today. Rather unwisely we chose to take the scenic route through the Moorfoot Hills, where there had been some snow. It was very pretty but somewhat slidey! We slithered around Peebles for a few hours, then came back the dull way [Smile]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know how long homemade tablet will keep for?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:

About an hour

[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:

About an hour

[Biased]

I wondered if that was the helpful sort of answer I would get.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Pretty much indefinitely, I would think. However, this is pure speculation, as no sample has ever remained uneaten long enough for a proper scientific study.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A whole hour? [Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always laugh when I see a recipe for what to do with left-over cake: an unknown concept in this house.
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Just saw this info this morning, (not about food), Snow and lots of freezing. I remember when I was young that we loved being removed from school, usually just an afternoon and then another day, and we loved using all the snow, and also going onto the loch that was frozen and we could practise "slipping" on the solid ice and adults had games there too! Will some of you being doing things like that?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I managed to slip on the ice round the back of my car yesterday - does that count?! I'm not impressed with having to defrost the car morning and evening, so was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't iced up this morning. It's still flipping cold though.

Scz promised me snow by 10am, but it's currently falling as rain. How is it further north/west?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's cold and wet and windy. And I have to go out. My current strategy is to sit with the heating off until such time as the outdoor temperature looks relatively attractive.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
S'raining here.

If it melts the ice that's still lurking from Monday's snow, it will be fine. If not, the pavements (which are currently.. interesting) will be treacherous. Have got the Yak-traks in my bag!

I'm torn between thinking that bringing the car was a reasonable thing to do (too far to walk, and raining) or a stupid thing to do (if it gets colder and freezes). Oh, and there is a burst pipe in my building at work. It stinks, and worse still, we can't use the tea-room. [Waterworks]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I eased myself over Beattock Summit this morning at 10am. The sleet in the valley turned to snow at 1000 feet, and it was a wee bit tricky for a time. Having just driven the same way back, the motorway is a little better now, but is covered in surface water, and the alternate route looked nasty.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I eased myself over Beattock Summit this morning at 10am.

Jings, I remember coming over that one night in a real follow-the-tailights blizzard. We had the old diesel Golf at the time fortunately - the verges where full of cars with petrol engines that had just seized up.
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kingsfold what on earth are Yak-traks?

The drive is an ice rink this morning but I managed to stay upright. Scz tells me next week is when it gets properly cold - here's hoping his predictions continue to be wrong!

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yak-traks are one of the most useful things I've discovered since I've been in Scotland. They're basically small steel spirals attached to a rubber kind of frame that you pull over your boots/shoes. As you stand on ice/compacted snow, the steel spirals bite into the surface, and you don't slip. They're fantastic! (I've used them on icy pavements going uphill and stayed upright).
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Oooh, clever. Might have to invest in some of those.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I got mine in one of the outdoor shops - Tiso or Cotswold or something similar.

There's a knack to putting them on (which I haven't quite yet got), but they are very effective!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are also available in some Department Stores - there were some in TJs in Liverpool last week. I didn't buy any as I thought I might not need them here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I saw a red squirrel today! Unfortunately by the time I got the camera out it was gone.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I didn't buy any as I thought I might not need them here.

Really? [Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

We are just back from a very lovely relaxing holiday on Coll. Weather woes meant that we ended up arriving a day late, as the ferry couldn't land on the intended day, and we thought the same thing might happen at the end of the holiday too, although we did eventually manage to get on board and safely back to the mainland. It was lovely there - it pretty much prides itself on having nothing to do, so apart from a couple of beach walks and wanders round the village, we did very little. Well, apart from eat [Big Grin]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who is gearing up for Hogmanay? I will be dancing around the enormous Biggar bonfire, and contributing to the temporary closure of the A702, one of the main trunk roads south from Edinburgh!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Who is gearing up for Hogmanay? I will be dancing around the enormous Biggar bonfire, and contributing to the temporary closure of the A702, one of the main trunk roads south from Edinburgh!

Quiet one this time, but we are moving down that way in February so may be joining you next year!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

For the first time in a couple of decades, we won't be going out. Sad in some ways, but OTOH quite glad not to be tramping home in the small hours and spending the greater part of New Years Day going Oh ma hied.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... spending the greater part of New Years Day going Oh ma hied.

I know this sounds daft, but as an exiled Orcadian, I rather miss spending New Year's Day going "oh ma heid".

We're going to friends for supper, which will extend to taking in the New Year, but the male half of one of the other couples who'll be there is a teetotaller and inveterate early-bedder* - he'll spend the first two hours eating (he loves his food) and the second two looking at his watch.

As soon as we've heard the local equivalent of "bongs", wished one another a happy new year and sung Auld lang syne (they think it's the Done Thing, but I've never done it in Scotland [Big Grin] ) he'll start telling his wife they should really be going, and eventually he'll put on his wellies and go and start the car.

We love him lots, but he doesn't half make us [Killing me]

* If he stays up much past 9 p.m. he starts to turn into a pumpkin.

PS I hope you all have a great Hogmanay, and if you do have an "oh ma heid" moment, a couple of solpadeine and a lot of orange juice should help. [Smile]

[ 31. December 2012, 01:43: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
* If he stays up much past 9 p.m. he starts to turn into a pumpkin.

I don't think I have any relatives in Newf. Well, I do have a cousin in Mount Pearl. The early nights are genetic.

I am so busy tomorrow, I shan't be anywhere, but I expect I will be tucked up in bed with a good book.*

*No, not that one! Not a bad idea though. I need to do better on my pre-church bible quiz.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
[
PS I hope you all have a great Hogmanay, and if you do have an "oh ma heid" moment, a couple of solpadeine and a lot of orange juice should help. [Smile]

My planned hangover cure is a bottle of cheap cider and a quick fag in the car park of the Millwall football ground at half time.

Let no-one say that South London is not a centre of cultural sophistication.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
quote:

Quiet one this time, but we are moving down that way in February so may be joining you next year!
And I am moving a little further away this year! Nevertheless, I have much family in the area, so will be in and around Biggar with reasonable frequency. Let me know if you need a local guide. [Smile]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I've started the evening with Monty Python Flux......there is no hope of any sanity!
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You can continue being cantie and couthie on this thread.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016