homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Resolutions, anyone?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Resolutions, anyone?
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read an article that gave some tips on how to make changes "stick".

First, just make one resolution - something you really want to do/change and will be motivated to follow through.

Second, break your goal into steps: have a plan with mini-goals.

Third, reward yourself for progress made along the way.

and fourth, realize you probably will screw up along the way. accept it and keep going.

So I'm curious, what are Shipmates looking into for a dedicated, achievable goal for 2013?

mine: I'm going to enter and run a 5K. I've never raced before - not without skis or dogs! but I want to be trained up and ready come the summer racing season to be able to run a 5k without stopping.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My resolution is 1024 x 600 pixels.

I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to lose some weight as my sedentary lifestyle is helping me to pile it on. I will be doing regular low-impact aerobics as it is exercise I need but I cannot have much impact on my joints as I have a genetic connective tissue disorder which causes osteo-arthritis. A vicious circle with the arthritis as the pain makes it hard to exercise but will hopefully be easier with weight loss.
I've given myself a weight related goal starting at 5kg and also the goal to do exercise sessions at least 3 times a week.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you Heavenly Anarchist - I want to continue my weight loss. I had managed to lose 6 kg, but did go a bit wild over the festive period. I've not weighed myself yet to find out what the damage was, but whatever it was, I shall sigh, gird my loins and go back to the Hairy Dieters. I hope to lose another 15-20 kg, but for now, I'll set the target at 2 kg every 4 weeks, and be happy if it's more.
We have chocklits to finish - but one a day (if I've been moderately good) won't hurt me. I have three bottles of whisky to try (but a snifter a week (if I've been moderately good) won't cause meltdown.

I do need to try to up the exercise a lttle. Two hour long walks and 30 minutes swimming a week is my target for the next couple of months. Then we might possibly consider adding a little cycling to the mix. But maybe not!!

Edited to add several missing vowels!

[ 31. December 2012, 15:36: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
My resolution is 1024 x 600 pixels.

I'll get me coat.

You're not the only one with a twisted sense of humor! Bizarro

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My resolution is to say "No!" more - I got a bit run down this year because I was trying to take on too much, and I need some "me time" to finish the novel!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to relax more, read more, write more, live more.

And lose weight, as usual (sigh).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In case anyone is stuck for ideas

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016