homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Point Pelee to Ellesmere (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Point Pelee to Ellesmere
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or to CFS Alert for Pete [Biased]

Happy early new year, Canadians!

[ 01. January 2012, 14:21: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been from 42 degrees 18' to 55 degrees 45' but haven't quite made the stretch from Point Pelee to Ellesmere.

Happy New Year, my fellow Canadians!

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lived at 74 degrees north latitude for six years - not as far as Ellesmere, but pretty far! Am feeling like the width is missing in this title, but will deal. Now that we have the bridge, it feels like the rest of the country is finally connected to the Island.

Happy New Year!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now if anybody says they've been on Hans Island, I'll really be impressed.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's Canadian Forces Station Alert, Gwai, but I forgive you.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Two face]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... the rest of the country is finally connected to the Island ...

Doesn't that detract somewhat from its islandness? [Big Grin]

Happy New Year to all from completely disconnected Newfoundland. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh sure, lord it over us, just because you are still pure. Although, I don't miss ferries stuck in ice for hours on end!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I certainly don't miss the rush to be nearer the head of the line in the ferry-terminal parking lot.

I did manage to miss the "proper" boat one time, and ended up as the only passenger on the train ferry. Just me, my van and one box car. Mildly surreal. Could have made a good scene in an art movie.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Several times I've been first in line to not get on that ferry and had to wait for another.

But the best was the night the last ferry was full and they called me out of the line, about four or five cars back, and, through a series of maneuvers, guided my car into place sideways across the last spot at the very front of the ferry. It was nerve wracking but far better than waiting for the first ferry of the morning like many had to do.

Must admit that the traffic on that road is equally bad these days with so many racing as if there is a boat to catch!

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's been a puzzle to me, too. From the traffic circle to the bridge is a race track still. For some reason, the Nova Scotians are worst, then the Islanders (because they're not used to long straight roads? [Big Grin] )

But Aulac to the circle is worst for weird passing maneuvers.

But I do remember one of the Mounties telling me that he never wrote a ticket for less than 35 over in ferry days, because he could hardly handle the paperwork for those, let alone the minor ones.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The answer is speed bumps! There are loads over here and they were just getting into them in Liverpool when I moved over here - they are wonderfully effective.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
... I did manage to miss the "proper" boat one time, and ended up as the only passenger on the train ferry ...

We missed the ferry from Ireland to mainland UK once and got a place on the freight ferry - it was far more civilised! A really nice restaurant (and just the right amount of time for a leisurely lunch) and no screaming brats running round all over the place.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been enjoying my Christmas Presents, including some gift certificates to Chapters. [Smile]

I've been reading Lawrence Martin's Harperland detailing the inner processes of the PMO and how it exerts it's control, er, discipline. Fascinating stuff. The other is When the Gods Changed: The Death of Liberal Canada by Peter Newman. Finished that one, also fascinating though he does tend to Purple Prose at times. He cribbed a joke on Harper from Spitting Image too.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SPK, have you read Terry Fallis' Best Laid Plans? Given your reading list, I think it would be right up your alley.
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When a Canada Goose does a head-down, butt-up dive for food, with its inverted chest facing you, it looks as if there is a penguin in the water, especially if there is ice along the shore of the lake or pond.
Only Canadians get to see that.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know Point Pelee well (a regular pilgrimage on childhood visits to ancestral Essex county), but I'll give Ellesmere a pass ...

I've been immersed in my new DVD set of Brideshead Revisited, with dips into the book as needed. Also in the middle of my annual re-read of Lord of the Rings. All by way of avoiding screaming work deadlines.

Happy new year, all!

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
SPK, have you read Terry Fallis' Best Laid Plans? Given your reading list, I think it would be right up your alley.

Possibly. I have some more money on the gift cards.

OTOH I am fervently hoping to read a blessed e-mail this week from Montreal.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't read Terry Fallis but gave his books to 2 family members this Christmas. Maybe I can borrow one once they are done.

I'm off to Cuba for 2 weeks tomorrow! None too soon. It has finally decided to snow AND get bone-chillingly cold here.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sober Preachers Kid: "I am fervently hoping to read a blessed e-mail this week from Montreal."

Amen

Let us know ASAP after your receive.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Oh, Canada.

[brick wall] [Disappointed] [Tear]

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

In order to turn away from the wails of desolation in the land...

It's going to PLUS 7 here tomorrow. In January. It's about 20 degrees above normal. What... what do we do? Plant something? Check for daffodils? Expect to see footage of disoriented people who are braced for howling cold and finding none.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Expect to see footage of disoriented people who are braced for howling cold and finding none.

I see that all the time, living across from the liqour store.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It's going to PLUS 7 here tomorrow. In January. It's about 20 degrees above normal. What... what do we do? Plant something? Check for daffodils? Expect to see footage of disoriented people who are braced for howling cold and finding none.

Likewise going to 7 degrees here today. And speaking of disorientation, there was a sound last night I couldn't immediately identify; then it struck me (literally and figuratively) - rain!?!

Fortunately for our collective sanity, it froze overnight. Close thing, though.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It got to +8° here today although it was p*ssing with rain and blowing a gale.

According to the Weather Channel it was +15° in Alberta yesterday.

Do the thermometers in Alberta go up that far?

[Confused]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I thought with the Chinook that Alberta thermometers were well-used to extreme fluctuations of temperature.

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leaf - so I couldn't get to live in the Peg in *this* winter?! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Liberty - are you regretting flying south?

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I mean no disrespect*, but how anyone would rather be in the US than Canada is beyond me!

[Big Grin]

*Which means I am about to say something disrespectful.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Hey, nice to see you back, Liberty.

Nah, you wouldn't have wanted to be here during this wimpy winter. It's no credit to you to whimper, "Yeah, I lived there, but it was really mild..." For lo! we are made of sterner stuff, and we brag of having survived days of - 40C on end. You and Imaginary Friend have earned Official Canadian Winter Credibility.

I admit it was very nice to go sledding with kids in +7.* There were kids sledding in T-shirts, in early

January! Unbelievable. In a typical winter, those kids would have been frozen solid.

Still, a lot of people felt a bit unnerved by the weather... there was a lot of talk about climate change.

*learned that I will now ache from moguls.

[ 09. January 2012, 01:22: Message edited by: Leaf ]

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Just finished the two-part biography of John A. McDonald.

Best bit: The Franchise Act of 1887, which put Federal elections firmly into Federal control, also contained clauses to give the vote to women and to Indians without depriving them of their status. The last two were removed in the course of parliamentary debate, but the Old Man put them before Parliament in 1887 none the less.

Looks like we can rib EnZed for being a bit behind the equality times. [Snigger]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Just finished the two-part biography of John A. McDonald ...

Before I read the rest of your post I thought you meant you'd just finished writing it ... [Big Grin]

While you lot were basking in the sun in Winterpeg, we had what passes for a really cold day here today - it was -13° and -25° with the wind-chill this morning (but gloriously sunny). I suppose it's because we're an island, but we don't often dip below -10°.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Snow and freezing rain here. It's supposed to go down to -10 on Saturday.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

We had -15 C yesterday, it is supposed to hit +7 this evening, and then back to -13 by Sunday, with positives later in the week. Can't you guys upstream get your acts together?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Just finished the two-part biography of John A. McDonald.

I finished part one of that just before Christmas, and have part two lined up to go on my tablet, but needed something different in between. It's good though.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I've worked as a Poll Clerk, DRO and have attempted to gain employment in the Public Service of Canada (*knock wood*). I appreciate much of the second volume on organizing the Government, McDonald's cunning and frequent use of patronage and the corruption of elections.

He sinned as much as anyone in bribing voters, dispensing petty patronage and even went so far as to fund the Confederate Party in the New Brunswick Confederation Election of 1866.

In some ways we've come so far since 1867 and yet in others we've hardly changed at all.

The best though is that I know the places in the book, references to villages in rural Ontario, even the companies, more than just Manulife and the CPR.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Does the book make mention of the old rumours that Sir John A may have fathered Sir Wilfrid Laurier during an illicit realationship?
They sure look alike on our older folding money!
Extra interest now because of the possibly illicit Diefenbaby.

[ 13. January 2012, 19:57: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

No. Though it has extensive commentary on his drinking. Sir John was a functional alcoholic.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, this is driving me nuts. It's Macdonald, not McDonald. There -- got that out of my system, as my mother would say. [Biased]

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Do you feel better now? [Smile]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

[Waterworks]

The SPKmobile won't start. It is a Toyota Corolla. I am not having the "Toyota Reliability" experience I signed up for when I bought it.

The SPKmobile and I have a deal: I stick to the regular maintenance schedule, it takes me where I want to go. The SPKmobile is not living up to its part of the deal.

I believe the starter has gone. I shall have to have it towed.

The Liberals on board may smile at the fact that this inconvenience caused me to miss the NDP Riding Association's Fundraising and Membership Drive meeting today.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There may be karma balancing here. A young friend's Toyota Corolla broke down on her return to Peterborough from the weekend's Liberal convention in Ottawa. Kismet is non-partisan.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I received a cursed e-mail today, saying I failed the merit test for a Pulic Service job in Montreal.

For a question which asked you to memorize the departmental profile from the website and repeat it. Which I thought I did.

I am devastated. I have asked for clarification, but I have little hope.

[Frown]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

SPK, I am so sorry to hear that.
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Really sorry, Sober Preacher's Kid, to hear that having put so much of yourself into a search for something which you believed was a good fit for you, and where you can be both helpful and useful to others, you find yourself hitting the wall once again.
The Public Service can be a very hard nut to crack.
Good luck and best wishes as you continue to search and seek discernment.
Doors somewhere will open to you, but you must feel absolutely frustrated right now.

[ 18. January 2012, 12:16: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Thank you Silver Faux, that was very kind. Thanks everyone for their best wishes.

Much to my chagrin, this process has had several incidents which raise problematic questions and I am launching an appeal through the proper channels.

One always wishes for a straightforward, honest process but then we fall through the Looking Glass.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Appeal filed; waiting for response. Haven't been sent a dismissal so I hope somebody is reading it.

[Votive] for justice.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was once told that no job is ever as diffcult as is the getting of it.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

SPK - [Votive] Sorry to hear you're having such a rotten time - best of luck with the appeal process.

I can't believe I just read the words "Toyota" and "broken down" in the same sentence; aren't they supposed to be so reliable they're boring?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016