homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Liturgical languages among the Orthodox

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Liturgical languages among the Orthodox
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking about liturgy in the vernacular. The RCs hung in there with Latin only for most of its history, only making the switch to modern, local languages for the Mass in the 1960s. But as I understand it, the Orthodox have always used the language of the people in liturgy. True?

The thing is that living languages change. What kind of mechanisms have the Orthodox churches used to update the liturgical forms from, say, ancient Greek to modern Greek? Or have they? Would the Greek used in a Greek Orthodox church be something like using the Old English of Beowulf in the BCP?

Thanks. (Sometimes I wish I were a linguist. [Smile] )

[amended title to make subject of thread more clear]

[ 30. December 2012, 08:01: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not Orthodox, but my understanding is that for Greek Orthodox, the scriptural lessons are read in the original koine Greek for the NT and the LXX Greek for the OT. The rest will be in the Greek of the Byzantine court pre-1000.

Russian Orthodox services are not in Russian but Old Church Slavonic, so that is certainly the language of the time of Beowulf in English terms, although I imagine far more sophisticated than the language of Beowulf (which I always think is a rather simplistic and boring work).

I'll be interested to see Orthodox responses here in due course.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I was thinking about liturgy in the vernacular. The RCs hung in there with Latin only for most of its history, only making the switch to modern, local languages for the Mass in the 1960s. But as I understand it, the Orthodox have always used the language of the people in liturgy. True?

No. [Smile]

I hear this a lot too but history doesn't really bear it out. It might be considered the ideal in Orthodox countries but in non-Orthodox lands with a breadth of ethnicities forming the Orthodox populus, I think that there is some discussion to be had.

quote:
The thing is that living languages change. What kind of mechanisms have the Orthodox churches used to update the liturgical forms from, say, ancient Greek to modern Greek? Or have they? Would the Greek used in a Greek Orthodox church be something like using the Old English of Beowulf in the BCP?

Thanks. (Sometimes I wish I were a linguist. [Smile] )

You've hit the nail on the head. Church Slavonic is not modern Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, &c., even though they all have roots in the same language. Likewise, liturgical Greek and modern Greek are not the same. Different factors will affect the degree to which speakers of the modern languages will understand the liturgical language.

Recently, the Russian church had a discussion about services in Russia, or at least parts thereof, in modern Russian. What became of that, I do not know. It would certainly bring Russia in line with the Russian church elsewhere, where Slavonic is mixed with various languages according to the location.

Here is something I wrote in the spring of 2011. Please forgive the tone in parts.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm very glad I asked! Obviously I've had some misconceptions.

Do churches usually provide classes in the languages of liturgy? The choice of Latin as the language of the Roman Catholic Church appeared to be one that would provide a common tongue among the literate of the church. It left the poor, common folks to stumble along with what they had been educated about the content of the Mass and some other prayers, but anyone who knew church Latin could read books and write letters to and from any corner of the RC world- very useful in any era but especially useful when dialects varied every twenty miles. Do the Orthodox use their liturgical languages in such a way?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a huge resistance in Greece and Russia to updating the language of the liturgy.

Even in North America there is a noisy crowd that wants to keep doing services in Slavonic, and even ones that allow for English want it to be a horrifically mangled pseudo-Elizabethan English.

Augh.

But I refer you to the old joke about the Orthodox:

Q: How many Orthodox Christians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Change? What is this "change"?

Interestingly, in the early 20th century the Russian Synod (college of Bishops) began to discuss updating the liturgy, but then they had that little Revolution thing and had to put all their plans on hold. In the intervening years the Babushki went into lock-down mode, and changing anything at this point would be even harder than it would have been in the 19th century.

And then there's the monks on Athos who have the Greek church by the short hairs and consider change to be the equivalent of burning Jesus in effigy, or something.

And like virtually every other glacier in the world, the Orthodox Church rolls along at a snail's pace while melting rapidly.

[ 29. December 2012, 19:55: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The choice of Latin as the language of the Roman Catholic Church appeared to be one that would provide a common tongue among the literate of the church.

Not when the choice was made. The adoption of Latin in the liturgy of the Roman Rite occurred at a time when Latin, in a fairly deponent form, was the language of the poor, common folks in Rome and across large parts of the Latin West. The literate still spoke the more euphonious Greek. Nonetheless, the form of Latin adopted was not the vernacular Latin but a highly stylised form which looked back to Latin forms and styles of two or here centuries earlier.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
There is a huge resistance in Greece and Russia to updating the language of the liturgy.

Even in North America there is a noisy crowd that wants to keep doing services in Slavonic, and even ones that allow for English want it to be a horrifically mangled pseudo-Elizabethan English.

Augh.

But I refer you to the old joke about the Orthodox:

Q: How many Orthodox Christians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Change? What is this "change"?

Interestingly, in the early 20th century the Russian Synod (college of Bishops) began to discuss updating the liturgy, but then they had that little Revolution thing and had to put all their plans on hold. In the intervening years the Babushki went into lock-down mode, and changing anything at this point would be even harder than it would have been in the 19th century.

And then there's the monks on Athos who have the Greek church by the short hairs and consider change to be the equivalent of burning Jesus in effigy, or something.

And like virtually every other glacier in the world, the Orthodox Church rolls along at a snail's pace while melting rapidly.

And good for them. The liturgical disasters to have befallen the Latin Church since the '60s ought to have been instructive.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YMMV

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting as the local Orthodox to me does services in the vernacular of the local area. It had parts in Greek, and parts in the local languages. And also has authorised books with the service in Greek and English in them.

They are Greek Orthodox and part of the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain. But not sure how common this is in a wider setting.

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As regards the "horribly-mangled psuedo-Elizabethan English," there appears (in my rather limited experience) to be a divide among Orthodox jurisdictions as to what kind of English their English services are in. Every OCA church I have been to has used the so-called traditional English, while the Greeks and the lone Carpatho-Russian church I've attended have a largely modern-English liturgy. I've no idea what the history there is, if there is any at all. Incidentally, the liturgical books for the Eastern Catholic jurisdictions in the United States are in modern English as well.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Trisagion:
quote:
The adoption of Latin in the liturgy of the Roman Rite occurred at a time when Latin, in a fairly deponent form, was the language of the poor, common folks in Rome and across large parts of the Latin West.
An interesting bit of information. Thank you.

ETA: Welcome, gog! [Smile]

[ 30. December 2012, 04:13: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
[amended title to make subject of thread more clear]

[ 30. December 2012, 08:01: Message edited by: seasick ]

Thanks- good move.

--------------------

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our parish is Greek Orthodox. Most of the service is in English, a little in Welsh, some in Greek. If we have Russian visitors, Father will use some Church Slavonic too.
It works well for us.

A very Greek parish not a million miles away from us uses traditional Church Greek, though the last time I was there, the sermon was in modern Greek and a summary given in English.

Romanian parishes use modern Romanian language for their services.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you think about, there's lots of examples of non-demotic language used in religious traditions, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Classical Arabic.

The most surprising example to me is C19 working class revivalist evangelicals, without a formal liturgy, still using as a staple the Authorized Version in a style of English notably different from their demotic usage.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
When you think about, there's lots of examples of non-demotic language used in religious traditions, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Classical Arabic.

The most surprising example to me is C19 working class revivalist evangelicals, without a formal liturgy, still using as a staple the Authorized Version in a style of English notably different from their demotic usage.

If it was good enough for St Paul, it was good enough for them.

The AV was the familiar version they had grown up with. Also, it's quite an arguable point when over the slow passage of the centuries the AV got sufficiently different from current English to cause problems. The RV produced in the late C19 did not attempt to modernise the English.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I still think that using archaic language is not the problem some think it might be (although I don't care for it) and C19 evangelical use of the AV (King James for all you American monarchists) could be used to support the point.

But in fact despite the enthusiasm of the AV's less critical supporters about the "beauty" of its language, its power is in the extraordinary austerity and simplicity of its language. (I still think it is lousy trying to understand St Paul in Jacobean English.)

In whatever language the texts of the Orthodox liturgy are translated, they will never be everyday due to the nature of the subject matter and its approach.

--------------------

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that liturgical texts are usually translated in some high register of the vernacular (Latin, Slavonic, English) in order to be understood and then frozen in time, and this frozenness (after a sufficient period of time) is reinterpreted. See the Scrumpmeister's blog post: prayers that were once written in a language intended to be understood by the people are now acceptable because it's not them the priest is speaking to, but God. It makes you wonder why we don't all still use a mix of Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, and the vernacular...
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gog:
Interesting as the local Orthodox to me does services in the vernacular of the local area. It had parts in Greek, and parts in the local languages. And also has authorised books with the service in Greek and English in them.

They are Greek Orthodox and part of the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain. But not sure how common this is in a wider setting.

Yes, the churches that seem unbending about this tend to be more flexible outside of their "homelands", which seems unusual but as I do not live in Russia or Greece, and do not really have a personal intimacy with those cultures, and the place of the Church in them, I cannot really understand.

Certainly, many parishes in the UK would be as you describe. At my Russian Orthodox parish here in England, the audible parts of the Liturgy are perhaps about 80-85% English and 15-20% Slavonic. Depending on who is there, we sometimes do minor parts of the Hours, the Trisagion, and the second Litany of the Faithful in Greek; and due to a more recent influx of Romanian parishioners, we are trying to learn the Our Father and the Paschal troparion in Romanian.

Inversely, my observation in the UK (it may be different elsewhere), is that churches that have been flexible in the homelands about updating the services to modern forms of the language so that the people can understand, tend to be quite inflexible outside of the homelands.

For instance, many Ukrainian parishes have given up Slavonic and serve in modern Ukrainain. As an English convert with a few years' exposure to Slavonic, I can generally follow along with this because of the developmental relationship between the languages. However, the parishioners at my local Ukrainian parish, which is the result of a large Ukrainian immigration to this area in the 1950s, tell me that the second generation had little contact with the church, and many of the third generation do not even speak Ukrainian, and have either lost contact with the Church or go to parishes where English is used. (The local Ukrainain Catholic parish is the same.) The same is true of the Serbian parishes, where modern Serbian is often used, but English seldom, if ever. Likewise the Romanian parishes, which I don't see changing any time soon, particularly given recent edicts from that patriarchate about a "Romanian church for Romanian people", which has been a source of significant consternation in the Orthodox world Ordinary Romanians have no time for that nonsense, and my experience is that they will freely tell you what they think of it.

quote:
...ones that allow for English want it to be a horrifically mangled pseudo-Elizabethan English.

The UK is a bit of a mixed bag where this is concerned. I think that the use of pseudo-Elizabethan English here in Britain is in part the legacy of the those converts in the days when English translations were first really beginning to flourish. Many had come from Anglicanism, and this was at a time when their experience of liturgical English was the Book of Common Prayer. Certainly my experience today is that most with whom I have spoken who prefer this form of English are older converts from Anglicanism, and that this is a very subjective preference. Having grown up in the 80s and 90s and not belonging to a BCP parish, I have no such nostalgic connection to older liturgical English. In fact, despite modern English being used in the churches of childhood, I did grow up with the King James Bible and actively dislike it.

All of that said, there are legitimate concerns, I think about the inability of modern English to distinguish between singular and plural in the second person pronouns, when such distinctions in the source languages sometimes carry doctrinal weight.

The Greek Archdiocese here uses modern English in its translations. The English is good and works well, to my ear. Certainly, to me, it prays well. It is the work of Archimandrite Ephrem (Lash), many of whose texts may be viewed here.

As for ROCOR, we mainly use English in the established parishes. The missions vary according to their intended demographic. The London cathedral uses almost entirely Slavonic. Because of this, when they do use some English, it tends to be the English texts that are most widely-published and well-known in ROCOR, which are the Jordanville texts, and fit your description above. As far as I am aware, nowhere else in our diocese uses the Jordanville books for the Liturgy because of this form of English. It is noteworthy that the Jordanville monastery, which produces and publishes these English texts, serves entirely in Slavonic and so never actually has to use these texts that it produces for the rest of us.

My personal opinion is that they never should have laid aside the translations of Archimandrite Lazarus (Moore), which were far superior to the current offering. Now we have reverted to haths, doths, odours of spiritual fragrance, and a number of awkward renderings, which are less accessible, not only to people whose first language is not English (who make up a significant portion of the Orthodox people in our parishes), but also to many native speakers of English. I'm not saying that immediate comprehensibility ought to be a goal. As Jon in the Nati rightly says, the subject of the language is such that this will never be the case. However, placing unnecessary hurdles in the way seems unhelpful.

There are a number of better translations that have been blessed for use in ROCOR, ranging from completely modern English to a form of English that retains some traditional elements (such as the aforementioned second person pronouns and conjugations), while removing incomprehensible archaisms and using modern forms of third person verbs, (which, it seems, some language scholars tell us is closer to how these words would have been pronounced in the 17th century anyway). The problem is that there just hasn't been the money to publish and print the full set of liturgical books in these translations. I'm sure that a generous benefactor would be welcomed.

The latter description in my previous paragraph fits what most of ROCOR UK uses, which is also true of the official translation of the Moscow Patriarchate's local diocese.

My experience of the Antiochian parishes here is that they use the books produced by their North American brethren, but I haven't ever examined those texts.

[ 31. December 2012, 07:16: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
As Jon in the Nati rightly says, the subject of the language is such that this will never be the case. However, placing unnecessary hurdles in the way seems unhelpful.

Venbede and Jon in the Nati, please forgive this misattribution. It was of course, you, venbede, who said this. [Hot and Hormonal]

Here are some more thoughts on the matter.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
It makes you wonder why we don't all still use a mix of Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, and the vernacular...

It's only one example, but the Kyries, in most Churches I have attended, are still done in the Greek despite the rest being in the Vernacular...
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Venbede and Jon in the Nati, please forgive this misattribution.
I rather hoped it was me. Whatever Venbede said, it was probably pretty smart-sounding.

The question of the translation of these texts has shades of the Rite I-Rite II battle in Anglicanism. Personally, I prefer the pseudo-Elizabethan Orthodox texts, but that is likely just because the first several Divine Liturgies I attended were in OCA parishes, so I experienced that first. I think we often overestimate the difficulty modern English speakers have with so-called traditional language. But, the presence of persons for whom English is not a first language is, to me, a sufficient pastoral reason to want a modern-language translation. Whether such a translation is objectively 'better' or not, I am not sure I'm qualified to say.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the problem of the pseudo-Elizabethan language used at our parish (and officially promulgated by the OCA in its publications) is that it is of the RSV variety: only God has the old forms applied. Everybody else gets modern verbs and pronouns. It is a language nobody has ever spoken or ever will, wholly artificial, gramatically wise speaking producing exactly the opposite of the intended effect ("thou" is intimate, not august, where the form is intended to speak of God more reverently) and invented solely to produce a vague mood which it produces in a small number of people with a particular background, while confusing or putting off everybody else, whose needs are entirely subjugated to those of the people capable of breathing the sweet smell of God-knows-what from the badly mangled verbs and adjectives. It does not distinguish between singular and plural (since it's only used for God). It's a gratuitous and ego-serving dreck.

Ask me if I'm opinionated.

quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
Likewise the Romanian parishes, which I don't see changing any time soon, particularly given recent edicts from that patriarchate about a "Romanian church for Romanian people", which has been a source of significant consternation in the Orthodox world Ordinary Romanians have no time for that nonsense, and my experience is that they will freely tell you what they think of it.

That's not just nonsense, it's heresy.

quote:
All of that said, there are legitimate concerns, I think about the inability of modern English to distinguish between singular and plural in the second person pronouns, when such distinctions in the source languages sometimes carry doctrinal weight.
Forgive me, but boo-effing-hoo. How do they handle this when translating the Scriptures or services into a language that does not have this distinction at all? Do they invent the pronouns they need just so they can make their distinctions? But see above note about how this isn't actually the case in the OCA.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One should remember that the language of the AV 1611 (aka King James) was a special, synthetic version of English meant to be elevated and sacred, and not spoken in normal communication even by educated persons. Moreover, it was archaic even at the time of its composition. It may be more consistent and euphonious than the liturgical English adopted by the OCA, but it's no less a weird thing. The better comparison, of course, would be the language of the Book of Common Prayer, which was and is considerably more down to earth and straightforward than the obscure, ponderous AV Bible.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
It makes you wonder why we don't all still use a mix of Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, and the vernacular...

It's only one example, but the Kyries, in most Churches I have attended, are still done in the Greek despite the rest being in the Vernacular...
The Russian church has something similar. At episcopal services, the acclamations of the bishop are almost always in Greek. Likewise, at least part of the Trisagion at the Divine Liturgy is usually in Greek when a bishop serves.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
I think we often overestimate the difficulty modern English speakers have with so-called traditional language.

I used to think this way, as well, but was not as tempered as you have been and was very dismissive of people who said that these forms of English are incomprehensible to many. [Hot and Hormonal]

I do not speak of you here (indeed, I don't know your background), but I think that it is very easy for people who have spent their entire lives in church circles not to realise the degree to which they have been formed by the language and culture of church (even if, for the time being, we leave matters of belief and faith aside), and just how much this sets them apart from people who have not had that experience.

For my own part, from the age of seven years, I heard bible readings almost every day in the King James version. This was the version used both at church and in our daily assemblies at school. Our prayer book was in modern English but our hymns were almost all in thee-thou-thy language. I don't much care for it and find some elements of it to form a barrier to entering into the prayer, but I have had a working understanding of it instilled in me from an early age. I'm sure that many Christians have had similar exposure, whether through use of the Prayer Book, old-language missals, hymnals, and such like.

Now, in 21st-century Britain, the reality is that most people under a certain age have had no such exposure. Even among many regular churchgoers, the King James Bible is a thing of history, if they know about it at all, and church singing isn't necessarily in the form of hymns with thee-thou-thy language. Outside of that subset, many people have no exposure to church at all, perhaps beyond the occasional baptism, wedding, and funeral. English Literature doesn't necessarily give much awareness of such language to schoolchildren. An Anglican clergy friend tells me of the non-church funerals that he conducts, and the fact that most people do not know the Our Father - something that would be a shock in the part of the world in which I grew up.

Church people can so easily take their experience for granted. This really hit home for me when I was doing a job for a while due to the necessity for work. It was honest work but put me in a situation where I had simply not been before, among people whom I usually wouldn't otherwise encounter on a regular basis due to different social circles.

They were good people who had fun together and looked out for each other, but some of whom thought nothing of telling me that they had never read a book, who had little experience even of their own region of the country outside of their hometowns, and many of whose understanding of humour was of the really obvious variety to the point where any comedy show or comment that employed more high-brow humour would be dismissed as boring or greeted with awkward silence, simply because it was not understood. On more than one occasion I was asked to clarify my language when I wasn't using anything other than what I considered to be regular, everyday English. On more than one occasion, a humourous attempt was made at speaking to each other in "ye olde worlde englyshe". Among the strange constructions was that the suffix "eth" was just haphazardly added to various words, seemingly with no understanding that this is a third person, singular, verb form. It came so naturally to me that to hear this done sounded incredibly bizarre until I realised that it stemmed from the fact that they genuinely didn't understand how these words worked or what some of the constructions meant.

Yet I was honest about who I was, what I believed, and what I did, and it led to some conversations about matters of faith and one of my work colleagues accompanying me to a service at Christmas. I suspect that there are significant swathes of native speakers of English - perhaps outside of the daily experience of those who sit on liturgical committees or who translate from ancient languages - who are among of the people to whom the saving faith needs to be brought but for whom this contrived use of language in church would be a barrier, and a quite unnecessary one at that.

Combined with the difficulties of non-native speakers in understanding, and the difficulties of some who understand in praying through such language, I really see no convincing argument for keeping it other than I am not in charge and I must be obedient. The fact that I cannot do so quietly or without first making my protest is perhaps among my greatest flaws.

[ 31. December 2012, 18:05: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

Scrumpmeister, you present legitimate, and indeed compelling, pastoral concerns which I agree with. When I celebrate the mass, I do so in modern English (what Episcopalians call 'Rite II'). I don't read the KJV/AV for my personal devotions, and certainly I've never read it in church.

I very strongly believe that the liturgical texts we use should be elevated, elevating, and eloquent, and that all of these qualities can be achieved without resorting to thees and thous. I do think it would not be too difficult for most people to get used to psuedo-Elizabethan church language (in this sense, I stand by my feeling that the difficulty is overestimated), but the fact remains that it is a difficulty and a potential barrier that doesn't need exist. There are a lot of out-of-the-ordinary things a person entering a Christian community will have to get used to (listening to sermons, the flow of worship, hymnody, theological terms, etc.); intentionally archaic language should not be one of them.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe liturgical language should raise us . But I also feel to do this it should on the whole be comprehensible.

I understand some liturgical languages are quite archaic, and not always understood fully by the clergy using them, in some cases.

I don't know the linguistic history of the languages used in Orthodox and other churches but some is quite ancient. The Assyrians, I believe use a very old language.

For tradition sake using the ancient languages is admirable, but for drawing people into worship I am not so sure.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
For tradition sake using the ancient languages is admirable, but for drawing people into worship I am not so sure.

I went to a service in Greek once. I don't know if it was ancient Greek, modern Greek, or the Greek of the distant future. I spent most of the service going, "I wonder if we're doing XXX prayer. No wait, maybe this is the such-and-such. Well, everybody else is crossing themselves so I guess I should too."

I'm not sure that anything I did might be called worship. At best I was an observer, at worst an audience.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
I went to a service in Greek once. I don't know if it was ancient Greek, modern Greek, or the Greek of the distant future. I spent most of the service going, "I wonder if we're doing XXX prayer. No wait, maybe this is the such-and-such. Well, everybody else is crossing themselves so I guess I should too."

I usually don't have this problem when attending or watching a service not in English because once I know the service, I can generally know where I'm up to and internally pray the relevant portion. However with Liturgies in Greek, I find myself much as you found yourself.

Once I'm able to work out again where we're up to, I realise that we've whizzed ahead into a later part of the Liturgy and that this is the reason I became lost. It isn't the language alone that causes the confusion but the language combined with Greek Orthodox penchant for abbreviation, for me at least. Others' experience might be different. "Surely we can't be at Eti kai eti already. That antiphon must have only had two or three lines at most." "Oh! Is this where we're up to? Where did all of those litanies go?" "Does the priest have his dinner cooking in the oven?" On one occasion, I was present at a Greek Orthodox service (English language this time), that could only have been described as turbo-Vespers. A conservative estimate is that at least a quarter of the service was simply left out - more than the abbreviations commonly found in parishes, in my experience. I'm just not accustomed to that so I don't usually think to expect it until I'm in the middle of the service and realise that's what's going on. When it's in a different language, these omissions can really throw me.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
I very strongly believe that the liturgical texts we use should be elevated, elevating, and eloquent, and that all of these qualities can be achieved without resorting to thees and thous.

I absolutely agree with you, on both points, Jon in the Nati. Repeating what I said in one of those blog posts, liturgical English should be church English: that is, not street English or the English of a medical report. Rhythm, flow, poetry, beauty, and care for the proper expression of the truths and prayers that these words express - it is these things that are important, and all of them are achievable with modern English.

In the authorised translations in use at my parish, (as generally in the diocese), we retain the "Thee/Thou/Thy" forms, with their corresponding verb forms. However, third person verbs are in their modern form and words whose meanings no longer mean what they used to are generally avoided. For various things the two main sources that we use are in agreement over style on most points but one place where they differ is that one retains the "them that"s and similar renderings, which just jars, so in our music, we have brought the texts from that source into conformity with the other, which prefers "those who", and such like. It sounds so much more natural in praying.

From a musical perspective, the word "you" can be a little odd-sounding in some places (bearing in mind we sing just about everything) but I am quite sure that this is subjective and that, were I to become be regularly exposed to it, I would quickly grow accustomed to it.

[ 01. January 2013, 08:48: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From The Scrumpmeister: Rhythm, flow, poetry, beauty, and care for the proper expression of the truths and prayers that these words express - it is these things that are important, and all of them are achievable with modern English.

To which I would add "dignified". Most modern Anglican liturgies I have read fill these criteria. The latest Catholic one (for me, at least) does not. Nor do the attempts by the official liturgists in my diocese. Fortunately, we do not use their efforts.

I'm afraid we can't speak well of local Orthodox practice. The only services we have been to have been in ancient Greek, and we've had to keep an eye on those around us for clues as to what we are up to and what we should be doing. That should not be so. The last large wave of Greek immigration ended 60 odd years ago; the first was 60 or more years before that. It's surprising that, unlike what appears to be US practice, a modern English translation is not used.

BTW, the frequent use of Greek by the literate classes in the west ended in the papacy of Gregory the Great. No-one seems to know why, but it certainly did. The use of Greek in the Kyrie is the survivor of this. It serves a a reminder of the universality of the Church.

[ 01. January 2013, 09:21: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It starts with Ss. Cyril and Methodios, the Enlighteners of the Slavs.

It certainly doesn't end in Alaska with St. Innocent Veniaminov & St. Jacob Netsvetov; but, ye American Orthodox Diaspora doth loveth over much, what it supposeth to be, the language of ye Olde Authorized Version.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016