homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Motorsport 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Motorsport 2012
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's March!

The new F1 season is nearly upon us, and no doubt there's plenty to discuss in other racing too (Danica Patrick in a stock car!)

So have at it...

[Smile]

[ 13. February 2013, 04:28: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I am really lucky, I will attend the USGP. Lodging, at least, will be free as my sister lives in Austin. I really hope that somebody who doesn't drive for Red Bull wins most of the races this time!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's Vettell's dominance of qualifying which I would like to see change this year. I know it was often exciting because he popped in his blinder right at the end but looking back I would like to have seen a bit more variety on pole. I don't blame him or his team because clearly they got it nailed; come on you others!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't see anyone other than Vettel winning again.

BTW Kimi is meant to be on Top Gear this weekend!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm expecting that the end of the blown diffuser will also make for the end of Vettel's domination this year, those cars really did help him more than most. He'll still do well, he just won't be standing head and shoulders above the rest like he was in 2011 until McLaren's car development caught up.

In Australia we've already had a couple of the year's biggest races (remember it's late summer here). The Bathurst 12 Hour race for production and FIA GT3 class cars was held two weeks ago in wet weather conditions (which contributed to the flood disaster now swamping NSW) and won by an Audi R8 LMS from the Team Joest factory squad, with a Mercedes-Benz AMG SLS second and a Ferrari 458 GT3 in third. This is likely to turn into a major international event over the next few years as the GT3 cars are seriously quick on that circuit, faster than V8 Supercars and even Formula Three.

Then last weekend the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide heralded the start of the domestic racing season. It's one of the fastest and toughest street circuits in the world and there are usually a handful of drivers still adjusting to new cars/teams in the first races of the year. That makes it amazing that Sunday's 250km race was run without even a single safety car intervention and was the fastest race since the 2x250km format started back in 1999.

It's interesting to note that we have a highly experienced European driver joining the V8 Supercars series this year which is rather rare. Alexandre Prémat will be interesting to watch this year, because his previous record in all sorts of racing shows he doesn't take long to learn how a new car works.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nobody's put up a prediction competition yet so I will do a simple one.

Who will do the fastest lap in each race (not qualifying)? Your prediction must be made before the formation lap starts.

Points will be awarded as follows:
Correct answer: one point.

Apart from all the Formula One races I will include other events. Please let me know if you have an idea.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've watched that most recent Top Gear episode now (aaargh me hearties!) and I can only come to one conclusion - I would rather watch Kimi drive than be interviewed. He's so boring!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A video preview of the coming season. Any thoughts?

The rules about blocking maneuvers seems rather complicated: anybody fancy a sweepstake on when Lewis has his first whinge about it? [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This season does look very promising for McLaren. Kimi bores me too... How are Ferrari and the other teams shaping up? Will Schuey really be competitive again?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

McLaren lock out the front row, and Red Bull struggle in fifth and sixth. Didn't predict that! Perhaps all the preseason hype of Vettel being unbeatable was overcooked.

--------------------
Brian Clough

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Perhaps all the preseason hype of Vettel being unbeatable was overcooked.

Nobody actually in the game would believe the pre-season pot-stirring by the media about anybody being likely to dominate, everybody knew that losing the rear end grip would hurt him more than most when he doesn't have the power advantage the Mercedes-powered teams do. What's more, he had his car all working properly but was beaten by Webber who was carrying a dead KERS unit as ballast.

I am glad to read that the stewards did not choose to make an exemption from the qualification rules for the HRT cars to race. The car looks like it might just be fit for a F3 race and Karthikeyan looks like he might be fit for Saturday night speedway.

I was also very glad that our broadcaster Ten chose to go with the British audio feed of Martin, David and Ted. During the practice sessions Ten just went with the local muppets (a game show host, a mediocre former touring car driver and a mediocre former MotoGP rider) putting on a great exhibition of their lack of F1 knowledge.

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking forward to the race. My fastest lap prediction:

Rosberg.

Tom day

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I just watched the qualifying, and that Ferrari is an absolute dog! Most pleasing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Ferrari to change their drivers soon? Not sure who would come in, though, as anyone with quality is probably quite happy with their current car.

I'm going for Button for fastest lap.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Nah, it'll be Hamilton: he's got the bit between his teeth.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I watched qualifying. I think the race will finish Lewis, Jenson and Seb...

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Ferrari to change their drivers soon? Not sure who would come in, though, as anyone with quality is probably quite happy with their current car.

Rubbish, the problem is the car like it has been the last couple of years. Alonso is easily the equal of Button and Vettel and Massa is easily the equal of Hamilton and Webber.

I think the constant talk that Massa is on the way out (three years of the British media yapping on about that now?) is nothing beyond media nonsense. Nobody who knows what they are talking about would ever dismiss Alonso as not being a threat, he is of course the only champion this century to win while riding anything other than the best chariot on the grid.

The problem for Ferrari is simply that the car is a dog, and that all teams go through lean phases at some point. What they are missing from ten years ago is having a technical staff who were able to deliver a car that stood head and shoulders above everyone else. That Alonso was having to drive it so hard to even stay in contact with the lead group shows how bad it is by the Ferrari standards of the last 10-15 years.

[ 17. March 2012, 17:43: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I say Button for fastest lap of the race.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I'm posting from a mobile device while at a church event, thinking it's going to be Webber.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:

Rubbish, the problem is the car like it has been the last couple of years. Alonso is easily the equal of Button and Vettel and Massa is easily the equal of Hamilton and Webber.

I disagree about Massa. At his prime, yes, but he has not been there since his crash in Hungary. This is my own opinion because I view the British media critically and don't automatically believe everything they say. Alonso did show us how good he is today but Massa was way behind him in the same car. I wonder if Raikkonen was ever in the frame for a return to Ferrari?

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

The fastest lap was by Button which was correctly predicted by Wet Kipper and me so the two of us top the prediction leaderboard.

It surprised me that his time was more than four seconds behind the top qualifying time. I suppose that when he had good tyres he had more fuel on board and as the fuel came down to qualifying levels his tyres were shot. Also DRS was on for the whole of qualifying but only some of his fastest race lap if at all. So these factors made that much difference? The top ten for fastest lap all set their best time on or after lap 52 and there were 58 laps in the race.

[ 18. March 2012, 16:48: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
It surprised me that his time was more than four seconds behind the top qualifying time. I suppose that when he had good tyres he had more fuel on board and as the fuel came down to qualifying levels his tyres were shot. Also DRS was on for the whole of qualifying but only some of his fastest race lap if at all. So these factors made that much difference? The top ten for fastest lap all set their best time on or after lap 52 and there were 58 laps in the race.

For the race the tyres have to go a lot further than they do in qualifying. In qualifying they drive the tyres so hard that the softer ones are near on useless after only two maximum effort laps, which is why you see the Q3 runs all done as single hot laps to preserve the set for the opening laps of the race.

The engine also gets a much different treatment in qualifying, it gets to work hard for a maximum of 3 minutes before being allowed to cool down again on the in lap and in the pits. In the race they have to allow for it to go for over 90 minutes and still have enough left for a second and third race plus a few practice sessions later in the season (8 engines for 20 qualifying/race weekends). Throw in the hot weather of Melbourne and the fact it's only the first race of the longest season ever and there's no incentive to push it to the firewall and risk a penalty for using a ninth engine in the closing stages of a championship battle.

Just finished watching the recording of the race, for me the driver of the day would have to be Segio Perez. He got up to the top of the midfield from last place on the grid without the TV guys paying any attention. Then he held position against three world champions who needed a combination of superior cars, DRS, fresh tyres and his dying tyres to get past, all without any Trulli-style hard blocking.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I say Kobayashi was a star: sixth place (instead of his more usual tenth) and eight points. I am pleased to see that Jenson won however. I'm a wee bit disappointed that Schuey did not finish on the podium, nor did he finish at all: he looked so promising in practice and qualifying...

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Hamilton, Button, Vettel - this time, if Jenson's on pole, Lewis passes him. I have recorded qualifying, but have yet to watch it.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sir Kevin, you realize that we're only predicting who'll get the fastest lap right? My money's on Hamilton again.

I swear Rob Smedley has the toughest job in F1: "It's okay Fellipe, you were only three tenths behind Fernando. Good job."

As if!

--------------------
Brian Clough

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I suspect it will be Button.

This year it has been a little tough to keep track of the WRC, as no Australian TV station has purchased the rights to show highlights of each day. That's a pity because it has been fantastic so far with the return of the Rallye Monte Carlo and the rise of BMW-Mini as a credible threat to the Citröen/Ford duopoly of recent years.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
My money's on Hamilton again.

I think you were correct: late in the race I remember him lapping faster than Fred.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
My money's on Hamilton again.

I think you were correct: late in the race I remember him lapping faster than Fred.
Five other drivers recorded faster laps than Hamilton, but you are correct that his fastest lap was one tenth faster than Alonso's fastest lap.

The fastest laps were recorded by Räikkönen, Webber, Perez, Vettel and Senna - all ahead of Hamilton and Alonso. http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/mal-race-laps.pdf

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

When Raikkonen was racing with Ferrari I remember that he seemed to get fastest lap most races. I didn't think he would do it this year, though. There's obviously life in the old dog yet.

The European Le Mans series kicks off this weekend so please place your bets for the fastest lap of the race. Entrants are here. The race starts at 12 noon on Sunday local time (France) which is the deadline for posting guesses. If it's any good Rogue jr and I will go to the Donington event.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm gonna guess the Boutsen Ginion Racing car (#45) because it's the only one with a driver that I've heard of.

--------------------
Brian Clough

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
The European Le Mans series kicks off this weekend so please place your bets for the fastest lap of the race. Entrants are here. The race starts at 12 noon on Sunday local time (France) which is the deadline for posting guesses. If it's any good Rogue jr and I will go to the Donington event.

I don't know how much further it is to get to from where you live, but I would suggest trying to get to the 6 Hours of Silverstone instead which is part of the new World Endurance Championship. The ELMS has kind of been relegated to a second-tier series now the WEC has started. The European races of the WEC are at Spa, Le Mans and Silverstone, compared to the second-tier ELM racing at Le Castellet,

Many of the same LMP2 and LMGTE competitors from the ELMS will be entered in that race even if they aren't regular WEC entrants, plus you would get the regular WEC entrants including the mighty LMP1 top class cars with Audi (diesel and diesel-electric) and Toyota (petrol-electric) battling for alternative drivetrain supremacy. The first race of the season was at Sebring two weeks ago and had 64 cars!
quote:
I'm gonna guess the Boutsen Ginion Racing car (#45) because it's the only one with a driver that I've heard of.

Never heard of Stéphane Sarrazin or Nicolas Minassian? Two of the fastest endurance drivers around, which is why I'm picking #19 Sebastien Loeb Racing Oreca-Nissan for the fastest lap. Sarrazin is an impressive all-rounder as well, he has raced in three of the four World Championships on offer by the FIA, only missing out on Touring Cars to date.

In that field of 21 cars (which would be quite sparse on a huge circuit like Le Castellet!) is also Gianmaria Bruni (ex-F1 driver) and Alex Brundle - son of F1 commentator Martin Brundle. There are a few other names I have seen on endurance racing results before, but none others I actually know anything about. The #19 team being owned by the most dominant driver in the history of all motorsport should count too!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

We did look at the Silverstone event but Donnington is just a couple of miles from Rogue Towers. The British Touring cars are there in a couple of weeks time. This championship started this weekend and there is already a championship leader: Dave Newsham qualified on pole position for the first race tomorrow and therefore got one championship point. Again, our interest in this series is largely based round its localness.

Car #18 Murphy Prototypes is my guess for fastest lap this weekend. For next week I'm considering the Moto GP in Qatar. If anyone has any suggestions please speak up.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

tgc, you're right: I didn't look at the list very hard.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll take a punt on car #1

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
We did look at the Silverstone event but Donnington is just a couple of miles from Rogue Towers. The British Touring cars are there in a couple of weeks time. This championship started this weekend and there is already a championship leader: Dave Newsham qualified on pole position for the first race tomorrow and therefore got one championship point. Again, our interest in this series is largely based round its localness.

Car #18 Murphy Prototypes is my guess for fastest lap this weekend. For next week I'm considering the Moto GP in Qatar. If anyone has any suggestions please speak up.

Makes sense if you have a track like that near you I guess. I would personally feel cheated going to a sports car endurance race with only 21 cars on the grid and no LMP1 class, cheated enough to go for a couple of hours drive to another circuit.

Interesting article in our paper's weekend magazine about Jeremy Burgess, the engineer behind 14 MotoGP riders' championship wins including seven not with Valentino Rossi. I didn't know he came from the Adelaide Hills or that he had such excellent taste in classic cars, he's restoring a Jaguar Mk II currently.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

No points for anybody!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Riders for the Moto GP here. Please tell us who you think will do the fastest lap and why. After the event we can analyse why none of us are very good at this prediction game!

[ 06. April 2012, 11:18: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Rossi, because he's a champion which means he traditionally has the fastest bike!

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Just back from a weekend away so ineligible, but I'll explain who I would have guessed for anyway. I would have picked Casey Stoner because he has won World Champion and is a member of a very rare group of motorsport competitors who have shown the ability to win despite being held back by inferior machinery.
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Rossi, because he's a champion which means he traditionally has the fastest bike!

Oh dear, you don't seem to be following bike racing much. The standard of the top class has risen in recent years and left Rossi as a midfield runner despite riding a reasonably good bike.

In Qatar he finished 10th out of 11 runners in the manufacturers class, with his best lap being the slowest of the manufacturers class and closer to the best privateers behind him than he was to Stoner at the top of the list. If he continues to finish in the bottom few bikes of the class and get beaten by his teammate, I don't think Rossi will have his job riding for a prestigious factory team for long, former world champion or not.

[ 09. April 2012, 13:21: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

You are right of course - I don't seek out Moto-GP: I just bumble across it while switching channels. Years ago, I rode fast bikes on the street; a wee bit more recently I was a flagman at an AMA race. I am no longer an avid fan...

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

race weekend !
I'm bound to forget to predict a fastest lap if I don't do it now
Button

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Lewis for China

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I'm going to go for Räikkönen to do it again, that Renault (which may or may not be sponsored by Lotus, who may or may not be in serious trouble as a company) is a quick car.

For the IndyCar Series race at Long Beach this weekend, over half the field will be dropping ten places on the grid for engine changes before hitting 1,850 miles of running. You would think the organisers would give the engine constructors a couple of free changes while they get used to the new formula, what a farce!

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Britney got on pole!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

We're on the formation lap and I'll go for Kobayashi fastest lap. Rogue jr has Raikkonen. Webber looks possible this time as well.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

"I haven't been this disappointed since Shrek 2."

Martin Brundle was in good form tonight, that's a top way to comment on an unexpected retirement!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Whither Bahrain? Without reading the papers, I'll likely know Thursday if the practice starts recording...

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Practise and qualifying are recording or have been, so the race must be going on!

Lewis for fastest lap.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I confess that I'm paying no attention to the race this weekend. I don't think the F1 circus should be going to Bahrain in the state that it's in both because of the safety concerns and because I think it's an endorsement of the establishment which is so controversial.

--------------------
Brian Clough

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Vettel for fastest lap, the Red Bull has a serious dose of speed this weekend.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016