homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How're your maths? Personal finance quiz

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How're your maths? Personal finance quiz
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you enjoyed the 'How am yer grammers' quiz, or even if you didn't, here's another one on personal finance (which is apparently being proposed as a GCSE qualification). Can you work out interest rates, exchange rates, percentages, etc. in order to get the best deal?

I got 6/8, getting the last two wrong - my maths-averse brain was obviously getting tired by then, so I'm sure you can do better than me!

[ 13. February 2013, 04:39: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't have a calculator and scored 5/8. Not bad for an accountant.

I hope that the actual GCSE is more up to date and uses the current tax rate.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4/8, without a calculator. But they were hard, and I had to make a guess at one. Also, I worked at least one out correctly, but then made the wrong choice.

Of course, I would use a calculator or online compound interest calculator if it was for real.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got half right, then got complacent and guessed the rest and got them wrong.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness, it never even occurred to me that you could use a calculator - you can tell how long it was since I went to school!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only got 50%, but one answer was dependent on another, so I am calling it a score of 6/8 [Razz] Not brilliant, but then I hate anything to do with money (which is why my month always outlasts my salary!). And, like a couple of other people, I ended up losing interest (compound or simple!) and just guessing a couple.

Still can't see where I went wrong in the commission question.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
38% without a calculator because i got bored and lazy with long division and guessed most (wrong) answers. Money bores me anyway.

It doesn't say whether you can use calculators or not.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7/8, cheating (the one I got wrong was a guess before I started cheating) by using simple (not financial) functions in Excel

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

So do I get extra points for not using a calculator OR excel? It took me two sides of an A5 piece of paper and lots of ink. In my day you had to show your workings, longhand. [Snore]

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was hard. It took me 10 minutes with a calculator and I had to guess the last one because I couldn't be bothered to boot up an Excel spreadsheet to handle the compound interest. I managed to get 100%, but I do this stuff in my day job so I should have got 100%.

Guessing will get you 4/8 on average. If you want to demonstrate an ability that is significantly* better than guesswork, you need a score of 7/8 or 8/8.

* By "significantly" I mean a formal statistical significance at the 95% confidence level.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
75%, no calculator, and I didn't work anything out exactly, just used heuristics.

(B.Sc. Engineering, and a couple of those would be perfect slide rule questions.)

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016