homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scientists and others on currency

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Scientists and others on currency
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sent a picture of a £10 note from England which features Charles Darwin. A bit of looking revealed that Nicolas Copernicus is featured on 1000 zł notes from Poland, Einstein was on old Israel of 5 somethings, Rutherford on NZ$100.

As an educational game, which might inform us about people from your country we might not have heard of, who would you nominate for appearing on currency? Post your nomination, a goodly sentence about her/him and possibly a link. I'm thinking scientists for starters, but other dead, famous for something rather more impressive than getting elected or born into royalty or being a celebrity.

I will nominate Norman Bethune, Canadian physician who doctored the Chinese during their war with Japan and before that in Spain during the revolution, where he developed the first mobile blood transfusion service.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the US, let us note that Ben Franklin was known as much for his scientific pursuits as his political ones. He was prominent on both sides of the Atlantic even before the Revolution, and I would like to think that his appearance on the $100 bill reflects that.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016