homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Kayaking

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Kayaking
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I almost made the thread title SOF Kayaking but decided it would be too limiting. [Smile]

After a comparatively brief absence from the exercise I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of a new boat and wonder if anyone reading this enjoys the sport.

(skin on frame / and I can connect all this to the Pope if I need to so there)

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a Canadian canoe - does that count?

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I paddle outrigger canoes. Mainly OC6. Occasionally OC2 & 1.

Have done a wee bi of kayaking - have my 1 star. Find flat water racing kayaking too tippy but sea kayaking is fun.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry. I always travel in reverse with two oars, as is ordained in Cannon* law.

I taught all three children to row, but they have turned round and turned traitor and taken to kayaking.

(* two n's if the boat has a gun deck.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've gone to the Cannonical form, now that the twisting action of paddling (one blade or two) is causing too much stress to my back.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love kayaking, but don't do it often. Do you do sea- or other? I want to do more sea kayaking, but usually end up in rivers ad lakes.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I want to do more sea kayaking, but usually end up in rivers and lakes.

IN them?!?!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I love kayaking, but don't do it often. Do you do sea- or other?

So far nearest I've been is off the Florida gulf coast on a plastic sit on top (Ocean Kayak Frenzy) - it was fun.

I've done other using Prijon Kodiak and Seayak boats which was also fun but the weight of the things out of the water was discouraging so I have recently purchased a foldboat (not the same one of course [Smile] ) and am looking forward to its delivery.

And just in case you've never heard of Hannes Lindemann: his book is worth a read.

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I lived in Finland I'd go sea kayaking off the coast of Helsinki in the evenings after work. On weekends I'd drive north to the lake district, rent a kayak, and paddle around, camping on lonely little islets in the middle of this amphibian paradise. Not a ship of fools at all, because there was only me on board [Big Grin]

A wonderful sport. Enjoy it!

[ 11. December 2012, 15:42: Message edited by: Desert Daughter ]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Smile]

I'm a Canadian. I have no idea what a "Canadian canoe" is.

We have 2 canoes and a kayak. The best one is a 17'6" prospector made of kevlar epoxy. Weighs 48 lbs, about as light as you can go. Looks exactly like this one. Hellman is a good manufacturer. We've had 2 aluminium canoes in the past. They are indestructible, but I couldn't lift either of them by myself after fracturing a couple of vertebrae. It was our 25 anniversary present to ourselves a number of years ago. It's been on a lot of canoe trips, though less since my best friend and canoeing buddy died of cancer 3 years ago. Kayaks are a different animal. A multi-week wilderness trip needs more space and canoe is the thing. There are tripping kayaks but you have to go pretty light. I use ours mostly for day trips, alone, fishing.

[ 12. December 2012, 03:31: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For many years I had a fibreglass kayak which I used on the Rivers Tamar and Tavy. When it eventually sprung some serious leaks and would have needed expensive repairs, I finally pensioned it off. But kept the paddle for the sake of nostalgia - it doesn't take up much room in the garage. I keep telling myself that, one day, I'll buy another kayak (a plastic sit-on one this time) but probably never will....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
I want to do more sea kayaking, but usually end up in rivers and lakes.

IN them?!?!

Moo

Well, sometimes!

I always think of being "in" the water when kayaking, since you're sitting so low. Plus I'm incapable of keeping myself dry when paddling one of those things.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesss!!! I LOVE kayaking (and archery, and most outdoorsy sports and passtimes) and I have my 1 Star in kayaking - keep meaning to enrol on the 2 star course. I have only been kayaking on flat water, but I would love to try sea kayaking.

A couple of years ago, when I went on holiday to Cornwall, there were kayaks for hire in the seaside village where I was staying. Unfortunately, you had to provide your passport as proof of ID, which I didn't have, so never got to go around the very pretty bay and headland in a kayak. [Frown]

I prefer the sit on top kayaks rather than the "traditional" long canoes that you sit in. When I first learned paddling, I could never get to grips with the long canoes, so the instructor swapped it for a sit on top, and I was fine.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

If you read much about kayaking you may be led to believe rolling a Folbot is difficult: he makes it look easy. [Eek!]
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, have done a bit (kayaking and canoeing, both) in various South Coast harbours; including going up the Helford River to Gweek (and the pub). (In fact most English (forgive me, Morlader, you know what I mean) harbours seem to have pubs somewhere near the head of navigation.) Most of this while at various Sailing Club camps. Great fun.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that it might be good to have a canoe of some sort on board Queen Anne's Revenge II. As QAR2 is a good bit smaller than the original, there's no chance of getting a rigid, or even folding, canoe on board - there seems to be a goodly selection of blow-up ones, possibly slower than a rigid but they look fairly stable, and the one time I tried one it seems reasonably practical - has anyone any views of these?

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
there seems to be a goodly selection of blow-up ones, possibly slower than a rigid but they look fairly stable, and the one time I tried one it seems reasonably practical - has anyone any views of these?

The problem IMO is narrowing down the choices.

Folders don't fare well on whitewater and inflatables do. Downsides to the latter can be weathercocking and tracking and wetness generally. Anyway I keep hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

And as my new boat (Isn't she a barge... I mean beaut?) is arriving today I am in the mood to further the discussion: this resource can be helpful if you're shopping.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re inflatable canoes, I only worry about the punctures. I once went fishing in one and half caught a lobster-like thing that got snagged on the hook, fouled the line so i could neither reel it in nor get rid of it, and we spent a very exciting half an hour rowing as fast as we could toward shore with a pair of angry lobster claws swinging about our ears and making attempts to puncture the boat.

I don't go fishing anymore.

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
And as my new boat (Isn't she a barge... I mean beaut?) is arriving today I am in the mood to further the discussion: this resource can be helpful if you're shopping.

I hope you get lot of enjoyment out of her, even though you are travelling in the wrong direction.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Smile]

I'm a Canadian. I have no idea what a "Canadian canoe" is.

We have 2 canoes and a kayak. The best one is a 17'6" prospector made of kevlar epoxy. Weighs 48 lbs, about as light as you can go. Looks exactly like this one. Hellman is a good manufacturer. We've had 2 aluminium canoes in the past. They are indestructible, but I couldn't lift either of them by myself after fracturing a couple of vertebrae. It was our 25 anniversary present to ourselves a number of years ago. It's been on a lot of canoe trips, though less since my best friend and canoeing buddy died of cancer 3 years ago. Kayaks are a different animal. A multi-week wilderness trip needs more space and canoe is the thing. There are tripping kayaks but you have to go pretty light. I use ours mostly for day trips, alone, fishing.

I had a friend from Hong Kong who claimed that a boat that you sit in with a twin-blade paddle and which covers your lower half for watertightness was a canoe. In Canada (and all other civilized places) that is a kayak, a canoe is an open-topped boat which you propel with a single-bladed paddle.

Peterborough has the Canadian Canoe Museum and the Royal Collection of Canoes. We are the world's capital of this sort of watercraft.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I hope you get lot of enjoyment out of her, even though you are travelling in the wrong direction.

Thank you and so far so good. [Smile] I met a guy paddling a canoe on Beaver Lake today and he had some kind of contraption which allowed him to use his arms AND LEGS to propel him forward using BOTH paddles. [Help]

(As an aside he told me the comparatively brisk weather 'keeps the riff raff off' the water and I bit my lip... who does he think he's talking to anyway.)

The Yukon is an oddly fast boat: on the few outings I've had she's managed an overall average of 2.8 mph which includes some amount of dinking around not really trying to get anywhere, and some headwinds/waves. And hugely stable (unlike the Long Haul Ute I tested - they say its secondary stability is much better than its primary and I say it about HAS to be).

Plus you can get sail rigs which if I live long enough I will get one of: the Kayaksailor in particular looks like a dandy.

Folbot makes an upwind sail but it has outriggers which puts me into complexity overload.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

And please pardon the double post but this is the kind of thing they do around here:

http://rivermiles.com/mr340/

Personally I tend to think a more leisurely route is preferable.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The most ridiculous canoe trip I ever went on was in the 1970s. We left Fort McMurray, Alberta, on the Clearwater River (it's now tar sands central), to the Athabasca, through the Athabasca delta across Lake Athabasca to Fort Chipiweyan to Uranium City, Fond de Lac, Stony Rapids, Black Lake, to Southend on Wollaston Lake. We were gone 47 days, and were windbound for 8 days on Lake Athabasca. It was in June and there was still ice in some sheltered bays. We'd thought of going up the Slave River but people in Fort Chip told us that it was still froze 40 miles or so north. I don't know how the voyageurs did it. The distance of our trip was about 2200 km I think. The worst spot was the 22 miles of rapids we had to line up at Stony Rapids. Better is to stick to smaller waters.

This trip convinced me that Ogopogo and the Loch Ness Monster etc are giant jackfish (northern pike). We saw a log in bullrushes near the shore. The 'log' started to move and swallowed a mother duck and 4 or 6 ducklings in a go. Hard to gauge size, but I'd say maybe 20 feet long and probably 15 inches across. I could see how someone might think it was a giant eel-like sea monster. And why couldn't they be bigger. A Métis man from Great Slave Lake told me he saw a 30+ foot jack there.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thread Necromancer
Necromantic Sock
# 17559

- Posted      Profile for Thread Necromancer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
When I lived in Finland I'd go sea kayaking off the coast of Helsinki in the evenings after work. On weekends I'd drive north to the lake district, rent a kayak, and paddle around, camping on lonely little islets in the middle of this amphibian paradise. Not a ship of fools at all, because there was only me on board [Big Grin]

A wonderful sport. Enjoy it!

Wow. Sounds like LOTS of fun!

--------------------
Did you hear? The Titanic sank!

Posts: 10 | From: Bottom of Page 2 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thread Necromancer, this thread is deader than a dead thing that has been dead a long, long time.

Thread closed.

Oh, and welcome to the Ship. (And your little friend, too.)

jedijudy
Heaven ****

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016