homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is there a problem with searching?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is there a problem with searching?
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I try to search in Oblivion I’m getting no results, no matter how common the search term. I tried “spirit” and got nothing. I could be wrong but I would have thought there would be references to “spirit” in there.

Is there a problem with searching, or have all the posts in there been removed?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oblivion is not especially well indexed. Some of the discussion in this thread would be pertinent. As would be this one.

I know people are used to the wonders of Google, where you can even get search results for pages that have ceased to exist, but the Ship ain't working with the systems of a billion dollar company.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No the search function for Oblivion doesn't work properly. I suppose we could re-index it, but the board is so huge it would involve taking the boards down for (probably) several days. I'm really not sure how long it would take, as I don't think anyone has ever managed it successfully, but the inconvenience would outweigh any advantages.

As you can see from the linked threads, this is an ongoing issue and has been for years, but if you have a vague idea of the thread title or any keywords, you can use Google.

HTH

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oblivion is indexed by last post. So, you can find a specific thread relatively quickly if you know when it was last posted on (approximately, ie to within a month). If the thread appears on a search of the board it came from (either the search function in this software, or via Google etc) then you will have a date for a last post (although, in practice the last post will often be sometime after that!) which gives a place to start in Oblivion.

The unsearchability of Oblivion is something we are very much aware of. But, it's also something we can't practically solve. Sorry about that.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly it's called Oblivion for a reason ...

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, thank you for the explanations. Pity we can’t browse the Oblivion board like the other boards. I’ll try the google thing.

ETA: I can browse Oblivion! I did a Google search for Ship of Fools Oblivion, then selected the top link and bingo!

[ 20. February 2013, 12:18: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a link to Oblivion in the text at the top of the Limbo board.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
When I try to search in Oblivion Im getting no results, no matter how common the search term. I tried spirit and got nothing. I could be wrong but I would have thought there would be references to spirit in there.

Is there a problem with searching, or have all the posts in there been removed?

I know you already found the thread you wanted, but as a general solution, you can use a search string like the following in Google to get a workable way to search the ShipOfFools bulletin boards:

quote:
site:http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi oblivion spirit

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016