homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Read the Rules Already! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Read the Rules Already!
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple word game. Each post must contain one word which is NOT, in any way, connected with the previous one.

Word dissociation, if you will.

Kitten

[ 11. February 2013, 06:27: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've played this before! It's the antithesis to the Tennis-Elbow-Foot Game,

Trolley-bus.

[ 06. February 2013, 11:25: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, BT, but back in 1934 my Grandmother got a new kitten and brought it home by trolley-bus.

Neutrino

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chrysanthemum

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Appoggiatura

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elephant

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
offhand
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Cleft

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fidget

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
daffodil
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Mastication

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Karl, but my grandmother once used daffodil bulbs in a stew instead of onions, and although the family didn't continue for long after the first mouthful, mastication was undertaken.

Steeple

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
addendum

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gallium
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry- Gallium is named after France whose symbol is the cock and a weathercock might be an addendum to a steeple.

Flange

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Albertus but Gallium Nitride is used in semiconductor flanges.

ant

Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stick Monitor, didn't you remember that ants get everywhere, even on your flanges.

penury

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kick

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
illumination

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Lyda*Rose, but part of the problem with the Super Bowl was lack of illumination for the kick.

walrus

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garklein

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rules ruling from On High! Cue the trumpets!
Alright, it's not enough to simply pick two words that have nothing to do with one another. That's boring/a project for those who can find random word generators. No, the real trick to this game is that you have to show that the last two words, are, despite supposedly valiant efforts before you, actually related. Otherwise, all you have is a lame list thread, and not even the Heavenly Hosts want another one of those.

So bring forth the rationalizations! Make those leaps of logic! Defy all sense and reason! It's good training for becoming a philosopher, trust me on this one.

And I'm seriously digging those trumpets. I think I may just keep 'em.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

You ever listened to a Garklein for longer than a few seconds? You will make a noise like an enraged walrus being kicked.

I trust that is sufficiently illuminating.

Dark Matter

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it matter that I am in the dark on the meaning of Garklein?

racing

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Does it matter that I am in the dark on the meaning of Garklein?

racing

Hmmm. I believe that a team of scientists under a mountain in the alps are racing towards discovering particles of Dark Matter.

You should be grateful to be unfamiliar with the Garklein. It's a recorder an octave above the descant. That means its lowest note is a piercing C two octaves above middle C.

Boa Constrictor

[ 07. February 2013, 09:50: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supererogation
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus, may I draw your attention to this hostly post from Ariston which just introduces a little more structure and creativity into the game rules (and thus also saves the thread from an untimely death!)

In the meantime I'll do a demo below, using your new word.

Smudgie
(standing on tiptoe on the special hosting rock)

(Hastily edited because it's very embarrassing when a newbie host makes a basic coding error and she'd never hear the last of it from her co-hosts!)

[ 07. February 2013, 11:11: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I challenge the last two words as I can see a connection.

Superogation must surely be involved if a friend asks you to look after their pet Boa Constrictor while they go swanning off on holiday.

Therefore:

Hadron Collider.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Post deleted to avoid confusion.

Carry on to prove that there actually is a connection between supererogation and Hadron Collider

[ 07. February 2013, 11:17: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Shipmate
# 76

Really, it's fairly obvious. When the LHC was first turned on, it developed faults. Techies worked around the clock to get it up again - clearly an act of supererogation.

Therefore Chloroplast

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the Hadron Collider was built to discover the Higgs Boson particle, the underpinning for all matter (I'm positive some more knowledgable shipmate will correct me if I'm wrong) and is therefore connected to everything in the universe... including chloroplasts.

windchime

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Now I think it is going to be very hard indeed to think of something which cannot in some way be associated with that.

What about Duck-billed Platypus?

Shipmate
# 76

AiE - I congratulate you on your tenuousness.

I note a similarity between a windchime and the corks hanging from the traditional Australian hat - Australia of course being the home of the Duck Billed Platypus, so no points there.

Table

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drank a duck-billed platypus under the table!

waves

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well you can get waves in a water table

granita

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Giraffe. And don't dare say that there is a connection, because no giraffe could ever fit under a table.

[ 07. February 2013, 16:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Shipmate
# 76

But the last word before Giraffe is Granita, not table. And since Granita makes a fine dessert to eat whilst on safari observing animals such as Giraffes, clearly that's No Points.

Telephone

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The local charity shop once had a telephone in the shape of a giraffe.

Beans

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Dammit; I thought there was something at the back of my mind, but I assumed I'd picked up lice from the kids again.

My telephone had been out of use recently owing to a fault on the line, so that's not going to fly, Spike.

A UFO of course does.

[ 08. February 2013, 08:19: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Tyre valve.
Shipmate
# 76

[cough]Link well worth reading [/cough]

Don't let this thread follow the MC one!

(Edited to make link a bit tidier : good call, Karl! - Smudgie}

[ 08. February 2013, 20:21: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Preternatural
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Albertus and Baptist Trainfan, please use the link Karl so helpfully provided a couple of posts upthread to take you to Ariston's revision of the game rules.

Smudgie
(Friendly hostly reminder)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is beyond dispute that a UFO with a tyre valve is clearly preternatural. So none of the above work.

bat

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm not sure about that. If Dracula is to be believed bats are preternatural creatures.

effervescence

[ 08. February 2013, 21:58: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You are watching a cricket match.
The bowler bowls.
The man with the bat mishits the ball into the wicket and is deemed to be out.
You splutter into your G&T at his maladroitness, causing unwonted effervescence.

Cranium.

[ 08. February 2013, 23:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My fizzy bath bomb is in the shape of a skull.

raindrop

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Now come on! There is SUCH an obvious link there: "Raindrops keep falling on my head ...".

Carving knife.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Postlude
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there is a contemporary piece of performance art called postlude where raindrops are chopped by a carving knife

dormitory

Jengie

p.s. People can sort out which is the last word.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016