homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Euphemisms (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Euphemisms
glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

- Posted      Profile for glockenspiel   Author's homepage   Email glockenspiel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if we could build up a whole dictionary of euphemisms between us, a handy guide for the young plain-thinking person ...

I'll go first ...

"I'm working from home" = I'm not working.

[ 13. February 2013, 20:11: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posts: 1258 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm working from home" = "I got so drunk last night I dare not drive this morning"

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"That is a very intresting point of view." = You are insane.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I hear what you say" - and I'm going to ignore it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"With respect ..." = I have no respect for you whatsoever

[ 21. January 2013, 12:20: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We must learn lessons from this" = a report will be published, soon to gather dust lying on the shelf.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We need to have the conversation around this" (my current least-favourite bit of jargon) seems to mean:

"We have no intention whatsoever of doing anything about this, but we would like to go through the motions of pretending to listen to your opinions."

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

- Posted      Profile for TeaAddict   Email TeaAddict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Whilst we value your contribution to this discussion..." = "Butt out, you do not know what you are talking about"

--------------------
In the interests of safety, please turn off common sense now.

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Let's unpack that, shall we?" = "WTF are you talking about?"

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'll take that into consideration"--no, I won't, and why were you fool enough to bring it up in the first place?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'We must ensure that this never happens again.' = This is a highly embarrassing event. It will happen again, but we hope that by that time you will have forgotten this time and not conclude that we are a bunch of incompetent clowns.

[ 21. January 2013, 14:19: Message edited by: Sighthound ]

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm afraid I have to disagree." = "I'm delighted to tell you how wrong you are."

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Urgent reform is needed' = We need to make the service cheaper and worse so the rich can pay less tax.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic example of this sort of thing comes from Evelyn Waugh's novel Scoop.

"Up to a point, Lord Copper." = "You're wrong, boss."

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

- Posted      Profile for TeaAddict   Email TeaAddict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We aim to improve service by relocating key functions to one location" - "We are laying off loads of staff to cut costs so the MD can continue to pay for his little darlings private school fees"

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Whilst we value your contribution to this discussion..." = "You think that, you are clearly an idiot, so we are now more justified than ever in pursuing our original intentions"

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"as such" = "at all".
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Can you run that one past me again" = I stopped paying attention to you.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A business phone answered by computer: "Please listen carefully because we've enhanced your menu options" means "You will have to listen about 50% longer because we've crammed more finicky menu garbage into the old menu garbage".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll do it tomorrow = well as tomorrow never comes, you have no chance of me ever doing it

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

"Working in partnership with..." - "Hired by..."

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'That's a brave decision' . And an incredibly stupid one.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Card placed in hotel rooms: "To conserve water and protect the environment against harm from detergent waste, we will launder your sheets and towels only if requested" = "To increase the profit margin of our parent company, we aren't going to be bothered changing your linen and towels."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Please listen carefully as our menu options have changed." = We have removed the option to speak to a real person and lessened your chances of actually receiving any useful information.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Please hold whilst we connect you with a operator." = Please hold whilst we connect you to a person who will have no training or information remotely useful and no authority to help even should they work it out.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A variant on the above:

"All our operators are busy at the moment, however your call is important enough and we will endeavour to answer it as soon as possble" = they've chucked out their switchboard people, put in an automatic answering system and diverted their calls to a Call Centre.

Companies who really believe that your call is important answer within two rings.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a job interview:

"Thank you for comning in" = You haven't got the job.

[ 21. January 2013, 17:04: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or from the Obituaries:

Convivial Bon viveur = habitual drunkard.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'This child has challenging behaviour' = This child's behaviour is terrible and they are a pain in the neck.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"Thank you for choosing to travel with us today" = I know there's no choice of train operator on this route but I've got to say this; at least your fares help to pay my wages so I'm grateful for that.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need to help the public to manage their expectations. = We are going to do what we have planned, we are taking no notice of anything the public have to say, and they are going to have to put up with it.

[ 21. January 2013, 18:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in essay-marking mode - a fine mode for euphemism. Some of my faves are:

"You have a good understanding of the text" = Retold the story, but didn't answer the question.

"Try to make your quotations work for you" = Don't try to hide the fact that you don't know what you're talking about by quoting vast tracts of secondary sources at me.

"Refer to the text under consideration more closely in future" = Do you even know what the text under consideration was meant to be?

"Please pay attention to sentence structure and punctuation" = I couldn't understand a word you wrote.

"Neat presentation" = You used a fancy font... and that is the only good thing I can find to say about this piece of work.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The hotel is 5 minutes from the beach" - if you run like an Olympic sprinter you might make it in 10.

"The hotel is 10 minutes from the beach" - you need a car.

"The hotel is conveniently situated for the airport" - it's out of town and the noise of the planes will keep you awake.

"The hotel is in a vibrant city area" - forget any idea of going to sleep, the ultra-loud music from the clubs, bars and passing drunken tourists will see to that.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The hotel room has a city view" = "Your window faces the back alley of the building on the next street over."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Fun-loving = promiscuous

Ladies man = lecher

Does not suffer fools gladly = evil-tempered bully

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"No offence, but..." = I am about to say something deeply offensive
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hotel is 10 minutes walk from the city = the city boundaries that is - go to end of tram route and 500m up a mountain (happened to me in austria)

--------------------

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

In school report

Popular child = I can't think of anything positive to say about your child, they talk too much and do little work

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
I'm in essay-marking mode - a fine mode for euphemism.

Feel free to add:

"A well constructed piece of work" = Boring and unpersuasive. Do you know how to use verbs?

"Sophisticated and scholarly" = Lots of long sentences with subordinate clauses and extraneous matter preventing easy comprehension.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revision of Fares = Over-inflation Increase.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For your greater convenince ....

....Look, it's more conveninet for us, and we frankly don't give a toss how it affects you.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A useful one for when you have a manager who actually believes all that management bs -
'That would be a really good initiative, however I feel it is too important to rush.' = That is complete cobblers and I am going to ignore it until -
a - You forget about it
b - You get enthused about some other stupid idea or
c - You come to your senses (this is very unlikely)

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Road Works = It doesn't.
Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"This initiative is designed to motivate and encourage staff" = We will load more crap onto your workload and expect you to enjoy it.

"The department has been downsized"* = We have fired half the staff and told the rest they are lucky to have a job at all, never mind that they now have twice the workload and no more money.

* If you want to be really euphamistic, then "rightsizing" is better, more motivational and even more encouraging!

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We are restructuring." You are about to be fired.

"We have to let you go" We know you don't want to go so we will push you out

"I'll make that a priority" Number 100 is about the bottom of my list.

[ 22. January 2013, 01:24: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Your child is trying" S/he is very trying.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

"I'll let you go now." = "I don't know how to shut you up so I'll pretend that it's you who needs to get away."

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to support your project = but I'm not going to (Used that one myself today [Two face] )

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

"Let me get back to you on that." = "I lack the courage to turn you down right now."

--------------------
-- Roger Scruton

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sense a theme, roybart. [Biased]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016