homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ethiopian-Israeli women were given contraceptive shots without knowledge or consent.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ethiopian-Israeli women were given contraceptive shots without knowledge or consent.
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ethiopian women given contraceptive shots for years without their knowledge in Israel.

But maybe I shouldn't be angrily ranting about this. After all the stronger must dominate and not blend with the weaker, thus sacrificing his own greatness. Only the born weakling can view this as cruel.

[Finally fixed typo in the link, sorry but it was giving me the irrits every time I opened the thread. - orfeo, Hellhost]

[ 07. March 2013, 00:28: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By all means, rant away. Just as long as we recognise all the other times similar things have been done (as the linked report does note). When I worked in human rights I read some completely appalling stories of past practices in Australia and America, at least.

It's bloody disgusting to make decisions about something SO intimate and personal without consulting the person you're making the decision 'for'. And everyone knows damn well there's a problem doing it without consent, or they wouldn't lie about it to the women in the first place.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
By all means, rant away. Just as long as we recognise all the other times similar things have been done (as the linked report does note). When I worked in human rights I read some completely appalling stories of past practices in Australia and America, at least.

I believe in early 20th century the policy in the US was that 3 generations of 'retarded' people was enough for forced sterilisation, and read of one case where the evidence for the 3rd generation was a baby that looked a bit strange.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that I know it's true or not, but it was suggested that these women actually wanted sterilisation as in their families they were expected to be mother-machines, but they couldn't say openly that they didn't want to be such.

In any case this article shows that the supposed events in Israel are just the tip of the iceberg of how little control some women have over their bodies in the world.

A friend on Facebook told me of this story a few weeks ago. Guess who he started comparing the Israelis with?

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Guess who he started comparing the Israelis with?

When they're doing shit like this it's not exactly a big leap to make...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Guess who he started comparing the Israelis with?

When they're doing shit like this it's not exactly a big leap to make...
Well, they haven't actually started rounding up and gassing the Palestinians yet (although there are hundreds in prision without trial or due process), but the similarities are getting too close for comfort in a lot of areas of action....
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:

But maybe I shouldn't be angrily ranting about this. After all the stronger must dominate and not blend with the weaker, thus sacrificing his own greatness. Only the born weakling can view this as cruel.

Such a Christian viewpoint.

Would totally throw Nietzsche out the window.

And I thought you were an atheist.

HA!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensnog - do you know what "irony" is? Hint - it's nothing like "bronzy" or "tinny".

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh but you can only do irony if you know The Truth.

The evolutionary biologist would have no trouble promulgating a view of the "survival of the fittest".

And Nietzsche did so love the idea of a Superman.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"is" is not "ought", Eversnog. I'm pretty sure most evolutionary biologists know that.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Well one wonders where Richard Dawkins gets his morals from then.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Shipmate
# 76

From the same place every other bugger under the sun gets them - their own conscience, informed by cultural norms.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Viola!

Dawkins cant get away from Christianity.

Neither can George Spigot.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Shipmate
# 76

You play the Viola?

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
quote:

I believe in early 20th century the policy in the US was that 3 generations of 'retarded' people was enough for forced sterilisation, and read of one case where the evidence for the 3rd generation was a baby that looked a bit strange.
Without looking it up, and this is hell so do I have to? This is what I recall from reading about all of this over the years.

The 3 generations quote is Oliver Wendel Holmes, along the lines of "three generations of imbeciles is enough" and refers to a "Carrie Buck". Stephen Jay Gould in his book "Mismeasure of Man" discusses it extensively. I also remember the Kalikak family where the authorities actually retouched photos to make the people look more sinister and stupid.

Western Canadian provinces had laws on the books about eugenics until at least the 1960s if not longer and that Greatest Canadian, Tommy Douglas, was pro-eugenics, wrote a thesis about it, and in his time would have supported such, even as this is glossed over by many.

Israel's problem with this is that they are a half century out of date, nothing much more.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
You play the Viola?

Stupid french words.

I have a German friend called Viola.

Confuses me no end.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You play the Viola?

She also has the world's smallest violin.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
quote:

The worst case I read, or at least the one that really stuck in my mind, was of an intellectually disabled woman in America (just how disabled is a matter of debate - as discussed below) who, after getting married and trying to start a family, discovered that she had been sterilised some years earlier when she was told something like she was getting her appendix taken out.

Now, I don't about you, but a case like that makes me want to throw large objects at people. Because if a woman has the capacity to fall in love and get married, I'd say she's got the capacity to make decisions with her husband about starting a family. And she'd even made that decision, having no idea it was futile.

And if you feel the need to LIE to her about an operation, that's because you're aware that she's fully capable of understanding what an operation is and accepting it or not. Getting to her accept AN operation so you can do another one is proof positive that you think she has the mental capacity for consent.

There are cases of severe intellectual disability where there remains some controversy over whether a person has the capacity to understand the issues around their own fertility (a very, very nasty and tricky area of law that wasn't much fun to be involved in). But a woman who can get married, choose to have children and agree to an appendix operation? Sterilising such a woman without her knowledge is disgusting and outrageous.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course the real question is how true the story is.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:

Not siding with one story or the other. Just noting that the source of this linked article is not one I would take without verification either.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

From that article (which is basically quoting someone else all the time):

quote:
Haaretz says the Ethiopian women were "coaxed" or "strongly convinced" to have the Depo-Provera shot, not forced.
Oh, so that's okay then. [Roll Eyes]

EDIT: Since when were we confined to one real question, anyway?

[ 06. March 2013, 06:26: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider
From the same place every other bugger under the sun gets them - their own conscience, informed by cultural norms.

So made up morals, in other words.

If so, then Israel is making up its own morals, and how it has treated these Ethiopian women is not necessarily wrong, because it's only 'wrong' in the eyes of those who have a different set of subjective morals.

But for some bizarre reason, this doesn't stop the subjective moralists from ranting away (like: "There is no objective morality, but I am still campaigning for the Pope to be arrested", which summarises neatly the viewpoint of a certain celebrated "professional atheist" prior to the now former Pope's visit to the UK).

[brick wall]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
You play the Viola?

She also has the world's smallest violin.
I always did love the Princess and the Pea

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

You were born to play a legume.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider

If so, then Israel is making up its own morals, and how it has treated these Ethiopian women is not necessarily wrong, because it's only 'wrong' in the eyes of those who have a different set of subjective morals.

I believe that, as a member of the UN, Israel should be at least aspiring to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which includes
quote:
Article 16.

(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

No need for messy subjective morals when we have international law.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
You were born to play a legume.

True story.

Low GI.

It's why my trumpet is rusting in its case.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[other Hell thread related tangent]

You can probably assume safely that they wouldn't be put up for membership of the David Ben-Gurion Golf Club either. [Biased]

[/other Hell thread related tangent]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

From that article (which is basically quoting someone else all the time):

quote:
Haaretz says the Ethiopian women were "coaxed" or "strongly convinced" to have the Depo-Provera shot, not forced.
Oh, so that's okay then. [Roll Eyes]

EDIT: Since when were we confined to one real question, anyway?

No one forced those tried in front of Judge Jeffreys to plead guilty either. That didn't make much difference either.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
[other Hell thread related tangent]

You can probably assume safely that they wouldn't be put up for membership of the David Ben-Gurion Golf Club either. [Biased]

[/other Hell thread related tangent]

Although if their handicap were low enough to make them a serious threat to the local league rivals... maybe... nah, you're right.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@EE

Is this another argument from adverse consequences response?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

Actually EE let's look at it a different way. On a very general level I think that causing harm is wrong. On a very general level I'm going to assume that you also think causing harm is wrong. In which case we share a viewpoint. Now we disagree as to what right and wrong may mean and where they come from but maybe that discussion could be had in another thread and we could use this one to argue the rights and wrongs of this particular situation.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
No one forced those tried in front of Judge Jeffreys to plead guilty either. That didn't make much difference either.

Welsh historical references are lost on me without a bit of help from Google, and even then they're difficult. Just sayin'.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Not sure Wales had much to do with the Bloody Assizes, Orfeo.

I'm not sure if even Monmouth (where the Duke of Monmouth wasn't born and had no particular connection with, being the bastard son of Charles II) was in Wales at the time.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

I'm not sure if even Monmouth (where the Duke of Monmouth wasn't born and had no particular connection with, being the bastard son of Charles II) was in Wales at the time.

Judge Jeffreys was born near Wrexham. AFAICT that is the sole Welsh connection.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

orfeo

# 13878

Yes, right, thank you. Between this tangent and Evensong's delight in awful wordplay, a thread on a topic that is thoroughly worthy of a bit of Hellish ranting is becoming a total train wreck.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not until 1966 I believe

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Yes, right, thank you. Between this tangent and Evensong's delight in awful wordplay, a thread on a topic that is thoroughly worthy of a bit of Hellish ranting is becoming a total train wreck.

Quite right, fellow host.

I wouldn't be surprised if many potential posters are so appalled that they are unable to post constructively, so Tangents'R'Us.

FWIW, it wasn't until 1975 that Sweden abandoned its eugenics programme, which forceably sterilised some 'mental patients'. That label was quite broad and pretty vague and (I have heard) could have led to me never fathering children, had I been a Swede.

Still, the Swedes are predominantly a blond/e, tall, blue-eyed, civilised and beautiful people. I expect Israel is trying to do something similar.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Yes, right, thank you. Between this tangent and Evensong's delight in awful wordplay

You started it.

*sulks*

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu****** it's quiet in hell these days.

One post in eleven hours. And that by Karl.

*sulks again*

[ 07. March 2013, 11:17: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:

Tell me, are you really as stupid and lacking in empathy and understanding of the reasoning processes of others as your posting would indicate? Or are you merely trolling because it's funny?

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016