homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Another Damn Fool Republican (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Another Damn Fool Republican
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, where do you breed these guys?
Congressman Steve King is fighting anti-animal fighting laws because humans are allowed to fight.
He then "clarified" his position with this rubbish. The best begins at about 1.5 minutes in.

[ 13. February 2013, 00:04: Message buggered about with by: comet ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
is fighting anti-animal fighting laws because humans are allowed to fight.

Logically then, he should be fighting for the right of animals to place bets on humans that are fighting.

[ 22. August 2012, 02:56: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those not wishing to go the links, in the second he puts forth the following scenario:
A sexual predator kidnaps a thirteen year old girl from a playground, impregnates her, transports her across state lines to force an abortion to cover the evidence then returns her to the playground. He states as none of this is illegal, animal fights should not be.
I am no authority on US law, but I am fairly certain every bit of that is illegal. Can he really be this stupid? How is he allowed in public without supervision?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe my hearing is bad-- did he say that the kidnapping scenario he described "didn't break any laws"?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

YES! Boggles the mind.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am no authority on US law, but I am fairly certain every bit of that is illegal. Can he really be this stupid? How is he allowed in public without supervision?

Hell, dude, they elected him to be the honorable representative from the state of Iowa!

I'd start the recall process because he clearly has a very poor grasp of the laws he's supposedly upholding.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

To be fair, Spiffy, that standard would empty the halls of government in more than one country.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I predict the Republican Party has grown so extreme that it will start to implode through embarrassment.

Then we can repopulate it from the RINO (Republican-in-name-only) Sanctuary.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds to me like a good start.

Then let's turn our eyes to the bishops and elders.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
YES! Boggles the mind.

Sorry, lilbuddha, it appears I was boggling while you were posting.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would clarify that you may discuss Akin on this thread, but you must stay away from the Dead Horses* while doing so.

PeteC
Hellhost

*Or, if you cannot do this, there is nothing stopping you from opening a specific discussion in Dead Horses.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Details of the RINO Recovery Programme.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like the "Right to arm bears" campaigners have more support.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More on Steve King.

Does anyone think it is a co-incidence that as soon as an African American becomes POTUS the extremist right came to the political forefront?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How seems more germane: are comb overs something you can do genetically?

[Paranoid]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

Does anyone think it is a co-incidence that as soon as an African American becomes POTUS the extremist right came to the political forefront?

No, I don't think it's a coincidence. Big decisions to be made by the US people over the next few months. Back to the frontier or forward to the stars.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Between King, Aiken and a few others I've become very frightened by the crew currently running the GOP and who could one day lead the country. When one gets caught making extremely stupid statements like Aiken, the rest deny that they believe such a horrible thing, but if you look back through their history you find they've pretty much said the same things themselves. The far right wingers have dragged the IQ level of the GOP down several levels. It scares me that these types have a real chance at running this country. How can such stupidity go unchecked or even be accepted by so man. I left the GOP 30 years ago when this nonsense first started.

[ 22. August 2012, 12:12: Message edited by: Niteowl ]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Clearly, these are the products of non-legitimate rape.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
Between King, Aiken and a few others I've become very frightened by the crew currently running the GOP and who could one day lead the country. When one gets caught making extremely stupid statements like Aiken, the rest deny that they believe such a horrible thing, but if you look back through their history you find they've pretty much said the same things themselves. The far right wingers have dragged the IQ level of the GOP down several levels. It scares me that these types have a real chance at running this country. How can such stupidity go unchecked or even be accepted by so man. I left the GOP 30 years ago when this nonsense first started.

I wish people would get hold of the simple fact that many right-wing politicians are far from stupid. Intelligence is no determinant of political stance, especially amongst those who seek some paid-for position.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:

I wish people would get hold of the simple fact that many right-wing politicians are far from stupid. Intelligence is no determinant of political stance, especially amongst those who seek some paid-for position.
The fact that the "smart" ones in the GOP are using the sheer ignorance of a good portion of the base to position themselves in power does nothing to alleviate the fact that the IQ level of the GOP has been steadily lining the sink drain. And I say this as a former GOPer. I saw the current train coming and the beliefs that would be part and parcel of the ticket price and wanted off.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New York Times columnist (and Nobel Laureate) Paul Krugman has suggested* that the lack of reasonable Republicans is due to the Republican party excommunicating members for being reasonable.

quote:
Now, what you can quite easily find are examples of people who used to be Republicans, or even still consider themselves Republicans, saying reasonable things — say, Bruce Bartlett or David Frum. But the very fact that they’re reasonable has led to their excommunication from the movement!

It’s kind of the “treason never prospers” argument (“for if it prospers, none dare call it treason”); if someone declares that tax cuts don’t pay for themselves, or that printing money when you’re in a liquidity trap isn’t deeply inflationary, or that fear of Obamacare isn’t holding the economy back, he ceases to be considered a member in good standing of the GOP. There are, therefore, no reasonable Republicans on these issues.

It's an interesting theory, and has the added benefit of being compatible with reality.

--------------------
*The New York Times has a ridiculous paywall that only allows ten visits per month for any user that doesn't have a subscription. Only click through if you're a subscriber or feel like using one of your ten free monthly "passes".

[ 22. August 2012, 14:03: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not so sure. There's a theory of multiple intelligences; there must be a corresponding collection of multiple stupidities. One needn't have all of them in order to excel at one or two individual types.

[ 22. August 2012, 15:23: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's another one!

GOP lawmaker: "Virtually impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex".

I'm beginning to think that when it comes to sex and science, the contemporary Republican party runs on urban legends and moralism.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

I'm not so sure. There's a theory of multiple intelligences; there must be a corresponding collection of multiple stupidities. One needn't have all of them in order to excel at one or two individual types.
A cynical person might suspect that there were some clever corporate brains in the puppet master positions in the GOP organisation, who have an agenda of their own, and just need to get some marionettes - any marionettes - in place in order to pursue it.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And here's another one!

I'm beginning to think that when it comes to sex and science, the contemporary Republican party runs on urban legends and moralism.

* Puts hand to forehead and passes out *

Somebody has GOT to do something about the drinking water in D.C. Or is it a strangely localized air pollution issue?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

What the holy hell? (from the article)
quote:
“It was one guy screwing a monkey, if I recall correctly, and then having sex with men. It was an airline pilot, if I recall.”
Raw Story (http://s.tt/1de0M)

OK, the first bit is a direct quote from a Robin Williams routine, I kid you not. He's treating Robin Williams as a scientific resource. Most scientist believe that AIDS jumped from monkeys to humans by virtue of the fact that humans eat monkeys in some places, and that blood exchange happened in the butchering process.

As for Gaeton Dugas, (the pilot) AIDS was already manifesting itself in the Western Hemisphere long before he became a commercial pilot. He just wound up a kind of Typhoid Mary early enough for him to get a lot of the blame for its spread.

How the hell did he managed to conflate the two stories? Unless he heard them from someone else in the first place.

[ 22. August 2012, 19:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of damn fool republicans, here is the explanation of the 700 years out of date theory upon which the evil Mr Akin has built his poisonous ideas about pregnancy and rape.

By extension I strongly suspect this man believes you can't rape a "legitimate" (sorry a "real") man. And anyway, if the man got an erection it *must* be consensual.

I am coming to the view that right wing republicans don't believe that bad things happen to good people - the good are never poor, never sick and never the victims of sexual crime. They are occasionally robbed of their hard earned thousands by darnedgovm't taxes, or swindled by intellectuals - but otherwise nothing bad happens to God's chosen people.

[ 22. August 2012, 21:20: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
...but otherwise nothing bad happens to God's chosen people.

Because, obviously, if something bad happens to them, that is proof they are not part of God's chosen people.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
And here's another one!

* Puts hand to forehead and passes out *

Somebody has GOT to do something about the drinking water in D.C. Or is it a strangely localized air pollution issue?

Well, that particular guy is in the Tennessee state senate, so whatever it is isn't confined to the District of Columbia.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Talking of damn fool republicans, here is the explanation of the 700 years out of date theory upon which the evil Mr Akin has built his poisonous ideas about pregnancy and rape.

By extension I strongly suspect this man believes you can't rape a "legitimate" (sorry a "real") man. And anyway, if the man got an erection it *must* be consensual.

Politics: the career for people who really, REALLY hated science at school and don't want to be bothered with all that crap ever again.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Well, that particular guy is in the Tennessee state senate, so whatever it is isn't confined to the District of Columbia.

Hey, it's only 487 miles from DC to Knoxville. It must be some combination of La Nina, the jet stream, and the Republican gene pool. And now I'm remembering Michele Bachman and Gardasil -- what was it? It makes you go blind, or something? And her husband claims to have a "cure" for homosexuality.

And we the people put these jokers in office.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "where do you breed these guys":

They're part of the gov't's secret breeding program from the "X-Files" series.
[Paranoid]

{Puts in call to Scully and Mulder.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of these politicians appear to be deformed. If the deformity was physical, they would appear grotesque and monstrous. And they would reek of decay and rot.

Many of them appear to have limited or no education, and to have been practising to be politicians for so long that they've lost any connection with the real world.

Most of them are extremely rich, and have engaged in extensive exploitation of others while representing themselves as 'of the people'. As if Satan pretended to be Jesus.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So ... are there signs that the GOP is becoming a cult?

I wouldn't have thought so, unless you think the real leadership of GOP members is to be found in Fox News. Which strikes me as a bit paranoid.

In opposition in the UK, both major political parties have tended to lurch to their extremes following a defeat. The died in the wool loyalists tend to believe that they lost because they weren't true to themselves.

It's different in the US because of the separation of powers (Congress and the President).

Are there any choice Democratic nutters to compare with this damn fool Republican? I agree he's a damn fool!

I suppose there must be, but given current polarisations in US politics, one persons "nutter" may be another person's "orthodox". Maybe that's the real cause for concern?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
In opposition in the UK, both major political parties have tended to lurch to their extremes following a defeat. The died in the wool loyalists tend to believe that they lost because they weren't true to themselves.

Yes and no. There's a tendency to become more extreme, I agree, but I think there's another plausible mechanism.

If a party which effectively represents one extreme of the "mainstream" political spectrum loses support, that lost support is going to be overwhelmingly from the centre ground, making the remaining rump of party members/representatives more extreme on average, even if no one's views change at all. The Bennites will always be Labour and the Thatcherites will always be Tory, but when the pinkish/light blue moderates go elsewhere, the extremes have less moderate opposition from within their own party.

This also means that depending on circumstances and electoral conditions, a defeated party can easily enter a death spiral of increasing extremism and unpopularity, but the party in government usually becomes tired, reveals massive incompetence or simply becomes overwhelmed by events before the opposition has time to completely implode.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot in that, TGG. Democracy is saved from itself by successive failures of governments?

I had a work colleague who advised me always to "vote for the opposition; parties need kicking out of government regularly. Keeps them humble".

Kind of works in the UK, but if I lived in the US I couldn't see myself voting GOP in its current state. No matter how lousy the government in power. The inmates appear to be taking over the asylum.

[ 23. August 2012, 17:23: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

ISTM, there is another mechanism also at work currently that is tied to economy. Especially in America and Russia. Fear, generated by economic instability, seems to lead people to what would be extreme positions in more stable times.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And another one ...

judge warns of civil war if Obama re-elected

He claims that Obama will "try to give the sovereignty of the United States away to the United Nations," and it's time for that well-regulated militia to get cracking.

He clearly has no idea how the US is viewed by the rest of the world, and that no UN country could possibly be arsed to even think of something like that. I mean, who would possibly want to take on $15 trillion in debt, for one thing?

I know there's rampant fear of the UN in some US quarters, but really, these people should look around and pay attention.

[ 23. August 2012, 21:03: Message edited by: Lothiriel ]

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

So... might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb?
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Is there no end?

Here's a candidate for county sheriff who plans to take out abortion doctors with deadly force (it's about 1:30 in).

Cantering swiftly around the dead horse in the bridle path, surely we shouldn't be electing people who substitute their own definitions of "lawful" for what's actually on the books?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there no end?

Here's a candidate for county sheriff who plans to take out abortion doctors with deadly force (it's about 1:30 in).

Cantering swiftly around the dead horse in the bridle path, surely we shouldn't be electing people who substitute their own definitions of "lawful" for what's actually on the books?

I got a 404 on that link. Try again.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

See, without the Confidence Convention to enforce party discipline, there is no limit to the asshattery that US politicians can get away with. Behaviour that would have you booted out of caucus in Canada, Oz or the UK and get you a boom closet for an office is par for the course in the US.

In light of such a sad situation, I refer fellow shipmates to my post upthread about the conservation of Moderate Republicans. I heartily encourage US Shippies to do their patriotic duty and Bag and Tag Moderate Republicans for an intensive repopulation breeding program.

The Moderate Republican, Politico Republicus Non-Lunaticus should be listed as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act, next to other American icons such as the Bald Eagle and the Middle Class.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Try this link. Shit for brains sheriff.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Here's a 2nd try at the original interview:

Sounds almost reasonable, doesn't he?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
In light of such a sad situation, I refer fellow shipmates to my post upthread about the conservation of Moderate Republicans. I heartily encourage US Shippies to do their patriotic duty and Bag and Tag Moderate Republicans for an intensive repopulation breeding program.

The Moderate Republican, Politico Republicus Non-Lunaticus should be listed as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act, next to other American icons such as the Bald Eagle and the Middle Class.

[Overused]

Mind you, the Australian Liberals (which is the conservative party around here) are also undergoing the same trend of shifting to the right and excluding/diminishing their more moderate members. It's just that they're doing it from a less right-wing starting point. There used to be 'wet' and 'dry' Liberals, and the 'wets' are pretty well gone.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New York Times offers this brief roundup of powerful Republican "crackpots whose views on major issues are as removed from reality as Missouri’s Representative Todd Akin’s take on the sperm-killing powers of a woman who’s been raped."

quote:
And in an on-air plea for sanity, Joe Scarborough, the former G.O.P. congressman and MSNBC host, said, “I’m just tired of the Republican Party being the stupid party.” I feel for him. But don’t expect the reality chorus to grow. For if intelligence were contagious, his party would be giving out vaccines for it.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

These people run the most powerful nation on earth. Their idiocy would be hilarious if not for this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha:
quote:
These people run the most powerful nation on earth. Their idiocy would be hilarious if not for this.

This.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:

We the people voted them into office. Who are the idiots here?

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Quite. I expect we've all known at least somebody who's as thick as a constipated turd in some ways but quite brilliant in others. I am of course thinking of my daughter's physicist ex-boyfriend.

I read a little while ago about some neurological research which found that people politically on the right have an enlarged part of the primitive brain that's concerned with emotion, compared to people on the liberal left. I can't find it now, so can't cite. The researchers were apparently surprised, but it figures to me. Racism, misogyny, fear of the other, attachment to supposed biblical certainties, all are about ancient terrors.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016