homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » off-the-wall question about student loans (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: off-the-wall question about student loans
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my understanding that debt collectors sometimes buy private student loans at pennies on the dollar, and that allows them to collect the full amount.

Is that true?

If it is, is there anything to prevent a charitable organization (or a private citizen, or anyone else) from buying student loans and simply forgiving them?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
It's my understanding that debt collectors sometimes buy private student loans at pennies on the dollar, and that allows them to collect the full amount.

Is that true?

This is emphatically not the case in the UK.

quote:
If it is, is there anything to prevent a charitable organization (or a private citizen, or anyone else) from buying student loans and simply forgiving them?
I don't see why not. Nice idea [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is that true?

Most privately originated debt can be traded in this way. (Note that most student loans in the U.S. are now government issued, rather than privately issued.) A more accurate way to describe this is that debt collectors sometimes buy private student loans at pennies on the dollar in the hope that they'll be more successful in collecting the full amount than the loan originator. As with most debt collection, it's a speculative enterprise.

quote:

The only thing stopping them is convincing their donors that relatively privileged college graduates are the best recipients of charitable aid.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes
No

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Is that true?

For the record UK student loans are repayed as a progressive income tax that only kicks in at IIRC £15,000/year. And if you don't meet that earning threshold your loans get forgiven.

And agreed. Nice idea.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be interested in knowing what the going rate for student loan debt is as compared to, say, credit card debt. Presumably you pay a premium to buy nondischargeable debt.

In some cases, the IRS counts forgiven debt as income. It varies from case to case, and I can't say how often it would come up in your case. But you would want to make sure that in any case where you were forgiving someone's debt, you weren't landing them in a new heap of debt

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
In some cases, the IRS counts forgiven debt as income. It varies from case to case, and I can't say how often it would come up in your case. But you would want to make sure that in any case where you were forgiving someone's debt, you weren't landing them in a new heap of debt

If the debt is a thing that could be bought and sold, could you give the debt to the debtor, instead of forgiving it? Then the debtor could repay it to themselves at whatever rate made sense for them.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True

But given the complexity of the tax code, I'm positive a good accountant can find away around that.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine--

Check out Nolo.com. They put out self-help law books, and the student loan one helped me a lot. They also have info on their site.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can afford to buy out and forgive the debt, why not give them the money before they take out the loan?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because we're talking about delinquent debt which is for sale at a steeply discounted price.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the debt collectors' point of view student debt in the US is a good deal because even bankruptcy doesn't allow the debtor to escape (it is possible but more difficult than other types of debt).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
If you can afford to buy out and forgive the debt, why not give them the money before they take out the loan?

Because for many students it's too late for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

The only thing stopping them is convincing their donors that relatively privileged college graduates are the best recipients of charitable aid.
What is "relatively privileged"? What a weasel term. Privileged people don't (have to) default on their student loans.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

The privileged don't have to take out student loans in the first place.

[ 17. October 2012, 16:22: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
True

But given the complexity of the tax code, I'm positive a good accountant can find away around that.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. The IRS treated all forgiven mortgage debt as income till 2007. It took an act of Congress to change this: The Mortgage Forgives Debt Relief Act of 2007. Now after this law you need an accountant and a lawyer to avoid the tax ramifications of mortgage debt relief.

Be careful.

[ 18. October 2012, 01:12: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an NPR radio spot which described the US government policy of taking a chunk of social security retirment income to repay unpaid student loans. The loans in many cases were made by a parent or grandparent as a cosignor.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy:
quote:
True

I wouldn't be so sure about this. The IRS treated all forgiven mortgage debt as income till 2007. It took an act of Congress to change this: The Mortgage Forgives Debt Relief Act of 2007. Now after this law you need an accountant and a lawyer to avoid the tax ramifications of mortgage debt relief.

Be careful.

If I can buy your loan for pennies on the dollar, what is keeping me from settling with you for pennies on the dollar? I can accept $1 as payment in full. Why couldn't I buy your loan and never attempt to collect it?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

What is "relatively privileged"? What a weasel term.
I presume it refers to the fact that while graduates may have large levels of debt, they still have a degree. Which means that they're far more likely to be able to get the better jobs, and thus to earn more in the future than the people who would be being asked to contribute to a charity set up for their benefit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
I presume it refers to the fact that while graduates may have large levels of debt, they still have a degree. Which means that they're far more likely to be able to get the better jobs, and thus to earn more in the future than the people who would be being asked to contribute to a charity set up for their benefit.

Some of them have a degree. Some of them have a couple of semesters, or a couple of years, at a for-profit school with nothing to show for it but debt. And some of them who have a degree have had their credit ratings destroyed, making it harder to get those better jobs that they thought they'd have to pay their loans back.

If they've got a good job, then it's unlikely that their student loan debt would have gone into default. Those loans wouldn't be sold to collection agencies. Just the ones that the former students can't pay.

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I can buy your loan for pennies on the dollar, what is keeping me from settling with you for pennies on the dollar? I can accept $1 as payment in full.

Nothing prevents the new owner of a loan from selling it. You are free to sell the promissory note (loan) you now own to anyone you wish for any price you can get.

The restrictions and negative ramifications of the sale are not on the seller. They are on the purchaser if the purchaser is the debtor.

If the purchaser of the note is the debtor, and he purchases the promissory note from you for $1, then the IRS and accountants would view as profit the difference between the remaining accrued unpaid balance on the note and $1. This profit is considered taxable and the consequence for the former debtor is taxes owed immediately.

To look at it differently borrowing money can be viewed as a short sale of a promissory note. If you sell high (say borrow $100) and buy low (payback only $1) then you have made a profit of ($99) and you will owe taxes at your marginal tax rate (some % of the $99).

quote:
Why couldn't I buy your loan and never attempt to collect it?
That sounds like a much better alternative to accomplish the goal here. For seven years from initial delinquency, the unpaid debt would remain a stain on the borrower's credit report. It would also accrue unpaid interest and increase in size, increasing the amount that would be owed in taxes if the debt were ever forgiven or retired for any amount less than the unpaid balance. But if the holder of the note bought it at a discount and held it without suing the borrower in court for repayment till after the state's statute of limitations had expired, then the borrower should be fully off the hook and his credit report cleaned up in seven years.

[ 18. October 2012, 19:44: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Is that true?

Don't think it hasn't occurred to the governments to sell them:
Sale of Student Loans Act

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

It's real!

Rolling Jubilee is starting to do exactly this!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the trick is to forgive it at a set rate per year.

Say the debt is $10,000; how about forgiving it at $1,000 per year for ten years. Then instead of an income hike of $10,000 in one year, you have a hike of $1,000.

Of if you want to do it other ways apply a negative interest rate to the loan.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Because the person doing the forgiving of the debt hasn't had to shell out the full amount of the debt.

I take out a loan for £30,000 but then fail to service it. The loan company decide that they're never going to get the money out of me, or at least not without spending more than the debt is worth in the first place, so they sell the debt to you for £100. You forgive the debt because you're wonderful and you know I'm in the mire.

End result: I'm skint but debt free, you're £100 down, and the loan company is £30k-whatever I'd repaid originally-your £100 down, but writes it off against tax.

If I'd come for you asking for £30k, chances are you'd have fallen over laughing [Smile]

It's essentially what the Occupy Wall Street Rolling Jubilee is doing. Which in the circumstances I think is pretty cool.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I would be interested in knowing what the going rate for student loan debt is as compared to, say, credit card debt. Presumably you pay a premium to buy nondischargeable debt.

I have a large amount of PLUS loan debt for sending two of daughters through a private university. The rate is 7.9%, but when you consider the 3 or 4%, forget which, that is taken off the top, the actual rate is over 8%.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If the purchaser of the note is the debtor, and he purchases the promissory note from you for $1, then the IRS and accountants would view as profit the difference between the remaining accrued unpaid balance on the note and $1. This profit is considered taxable and the consequence for the former debtor is taxes owed immediately.

Close, but it's not "profit". It falls under the gift tax provisions of the US tax code. The donor usually has to pay the tax, not the recipient*.

From the IRS:
quote:
The gift tax applies to the transfer by gift of any property. You make a gift if you give property (including money), or the use of or income from property, without expecting to receive something of at least equal value in return. If you sell something at less than its full value or if you make an interest-free or reduced-interest loan, you may be making a gift.
It only kicks in if the total gifts given in a single year exceed $13,000 per donor per recipient**. There's an exclusion for tuition and medical payments one might make on behalf of another. There's no limit for those. I'm not sure if repayment of another's student loans would fall under that tuition exception or not.

*The IRS isn't stupid. They know that the giver is more likely to be in a higher tax bracket so they want to tax the gift at their rate, not the recipient's. Some exceptions apply.

**A married couple could give $26,000 per year to the same recipient and not be on the hook for the gift tax.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

MonkyLizard, I suppose you didn't get a chance to read the link to the IRS page on the mortgage debt forgiveness act.

Here is an IRS page on the IRS treatment of cancelled debt as taxable income (profit) and here is another one that makes the same point.

Here is an IRS page on the IRS treatment of gifts. The IRS understands gifts as coming from friends and families. The IRS takes a dim view of taxpayers claiming that canceled debt from banks, employers or anyone else with whom you have a strictly working relationship are "gifts."

Regardless someone has to pay taxes. You cannot forgive debt without triggering a tax liability at the taxpayers marginal tax rate.

I am worried about the unintended consequences of the Rolling Jubilee's debt forgiveness program on the recipients of debt forgiveness. It's a pity they spent so much on an online presence that is high on production quality but low on transparency, details, mechanics and methodology.

That said, if they can pull it off successfully, my hat is off to them.

[ 15. November 2012, 03:16: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Regardless someone has to pay taxes. You cannot forgive debt without triggering a tax liability at the taxpayers marginal tax rate.

There are some exclusions, as your links mention. Insolvency would be the first one I'd normally expect to find, probably. My oldest daughter is working on becoming a teacher and some of hers may end up forgiven without tax.

I've only dealt with forgiveness of income for a few clients. The one that really bothered me was a few years back when an elderly lady was 1099-C'd by a bank for a credit card debt that was obtained via indentity theft. It ought not be a taxable event for you because someone else is beating you to your mailbox.

quote:
I am worried about the unintended consequences of the Rolling Jubilee's debt forgiveness program on the recipients of debt forgiveness. It's a pity they spent so much on an online presence that is high on production quality but low on transparency, details, mechanics and methodology.
True, but on the other hand, I'd rather pay tax on $50,000 than pay $50,000 and I'd also wonder just how solvent are some of the recipients of this forgiveness.

[ 15. November 2012, 07:50: Message edited by: Mere Nick ]

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:

There are some exclusions, as your links mention.
Thank you for chiming in and confirming some of the issues I am raising. Yes, I had meant to add the clause "with a few exceptions" and failed to do so. Good point.

Also, I would add that one can file for insolvency through IRS form 982 - though proving insolvency without legal bankruptcy may be tough if you have any assets at all. It may be worth a try.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy: [QUOTE]I am worried about the unintended consequences of the Rolling Jubilee's debt forgiveness program on the recipients of debt forgiveness. It's a pity they spent so much on an online presence that is high on production quality but low on transparency, details, mechanics and methodology.
True, but on the other hand, I'd rather pay tax on $50,000 than pay $50,000 and I'd also wonder just how solvent are some of the recipients of this forgiveness.
Theoretically, yes. Certainly for those with no assets who can claim insolvency without issue.

But practically speaking, the recipient should have knowledge of the forgiveness and the freedom of choice. Debt forgiveness is a not bad if the individual has the money available to pay the tax on forgiven debt. But, without insolvency status with the IRS, the effect of an immediate unpaid tax liability on someone with limited resources can make matters worse. The IRS is the most ruthless of any creditor out there. They can garnish your wages and seize your bank account - all without taking you to court. Guilty until proven innocent. They can make your life a living hell.

Note that this is in direct contrast to unpaid debts to other creditors, which are much more manageable. They may harass you with phone calls and ruin your credit rating but that's about it.

Again, to repeat, I am not defending the system. I want debt relief groups to succeed. I am trying to raise the issues so that it can be done without detriment to the intended beneficiaries. Furthermore, intended beneficiaries must have the option to opt in or opt out, with full knowledge of the consequences for their individual cases.

I can even imagine a class action lawsuit against a group like Rolling Jubilee for making tough situations worse, for people who, after many years were forgiven debts that had already been written off previously. Their lives were getting back to normal and then they receive notice from the IRS they have a big tax bill. That would suck.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can even imagine a class action lawsuit against a group like Rolling Jubilee for making tough situations worse, for people who, after many years were forgiven debts that had already been written off previously. Their lives were getting back to normal and then they receive notice from the IRS they have a big tax bill. That would suck.

Though remember that someone was going to buy that debit if Rolling Jubilee didn't, so they were going to get new harassment about their debt anyway. It might be argued it was only the eye of the storm re being rid of debt.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Let's say as a for instance Rolling Jubilee or some similar group buys Ruudy's loan from a lender. Then let's say Rolling Jubilee informs Ruudy and instructs him to await instructions. After that, RJ doesn't do a thing. It never calls Ruudy. It never sends him anything else. It never communicates in any way. It even shreds any checks Ruudy sends when Ruudy starts getting a bit nervous. But it never sends Ruudy a 1099-C.

I can see how a very informal network could buy up some debt and just sit on the information and the IRS never finding out about it.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were banks taxed on their bailout money ? Because if not I don't see why this has to be a problem.

Secondly, why can't the rolling Jubilee just sell on the debt to the debtor for 10 cents ? Jubilee then make a loss on the deal so aren't taxed, and the debtor has just been sold ownership of the debt rather than being given any money.

[ 15. November 2012, 18:26: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Were banks taxed on their bailout money ? Because if not I don't see why this has to be a problem.

I don't know what their journal entries looked like but it was probably recorded as a loan or a purchase of stock, wasn't it? If our life is like most folks they probably owe the federal government and not banks, anyway.

quote:
Secondly, why can't the rolling Jubilee just sell on the debt to the debtor for 10 cents ? Jubilee then make a loss on the deal so aren't taxed, and the debtor has just been sold ownership of the debt rather than being given any money.
Why bother with even that? Just shred it, shrug, and call it Miller Time.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

From the FAQ on Rolling Jubilee's website:

quote:
Will the Rolling Jubilee have to file a 1099-C Cancellation of Debt form with the IRS?No. The Rolling Jubilee will earn no income from the lending of money and is therefore exempt from filing a Form 1099-C under the Internal Revenue Code Section 6050P.
That means, if I understand it aright, that the IRS will not be notified of the debt cancellation.

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:

Though remember that someone was going to buy that debit if Rolling Jubilee didn't, so they were going to get new harassment about their debt anyway. It might be argued it was only the eye of the storm re being rid of debt.
Maybe, but maybe not. We don't know. Rolling Jubilee bought is planning to buy debt at 5 cents on the dollar. This means it has already been written down by previous lenders, investors and holders 95%. It is viewed as almost worthless. There might not be buyer for this debt.

quote:
Let's say as a for instance Rolling Jubilee or some similar group buys Ruudy's loan from a lender. Then let's say Rolling Jubilee informs Ruudy and instructs him to await instructions. After that, RJ doesn't do a thing. It never calls Ruudy. It never sends him anything else. It never communicates in any way. It even shreds any checks Ruudy sends when Ruudy starts getting a bit nervous. But it never sends Ruudy a 1099-C.

I can see how a very informal network could buy up some debt and just sit on the information and the IRS never finding out about it.

Thank you. This is why as I think through it more I think Rolling Jubilee is a waste of charitable contribution.

The scenario you describe sounds great except for one thing. It hasn't changed ANYTHING. My credit rating still sucks till the statute of limitations runs out! The only thing that has changed is that I might not receive another round of phone calls - on debt that is worth so little no one was probably going to call me anyway.

Rolling Jubilee says they have raised $207,965 to buy some $4 million of debt. We'd all be better off if they used the $207,965 to send information to debtors advising them not to pay their debts no matter what kind of phone calls they get.

Traditional credit counseling may be a much better use of charitable funds.

What am I missing, folks?

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

This scenario was discussed earlier in the thread.

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
From the FAQ on Rolling Jubilee's website:

quote:
Will the Rolling Jubilee have to file a 1099-C Cancellation of Debt form with the IRS?No. The Rolling Jubilee will earn no income from the lending of money and is therefore exempt from filing a Form 1099-C under the Internal Revenue Code Section 6050P.
That means, if I understand it aright, that the IRS will not be notified of the debt cancellation.
This is good to see! Their website has improved dramatically. There was no FAQ section when you first posted a link to it.

What it still does not explain is whether there is any material improvement to the intended beneficiaries (ie cleaning up credit report). If not, then my question remains about whether this is indeed a worthy use of charitable funds.

This is my point: We should use these funds to feed, clothe and house the poor - not just to insure against potential annoying unwanted phone calls.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:

What it still does not explain is whether there is any material improvement to the intended beneficiaries (ie cleaning up credit report). If not, then my question remains about whether this is indeed a worthy use of charitable funds.

It should clean it up, shouldn't it? It would be marked paid instead of outstanding, and all.

quote:
This is my point: We should use these funds to feed, clothe and house the poor - not just to insure against potential annoying unwanted phone calls.
Well, stamping a bill as paid just takes a bit of rubber and ink, at least for the short run. Farmers, tailors and builders won't check with what you did before they do their thing.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
quote:

It should clean it up, shouldn't it? It would be marked paid instead of outstanding, and all.
I've only seen debt forgiveness situations for real estate clients who were solvent. So I'll trust your assessment of it. If it does clean up the credit report - that'd be great.

If Rolling Jubilee does not file a 1099c so the IRS is not made aware of the tax liability, doesn't that just mean the IRS doesn't come looking for the money even though technically the former debtor's tax liability remains, correct?

The Debt Resistors Operations Manual posted on Rolling Jubilee's website looks excellent.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
I've only seen debt forgiveness situations for real estate clients who were solvent. So I'll trust your assessment of it. If it does clean up the credit report - that'd be great.

Oh, I'm just asking. My guess, and that is all it is, is that it should help to clean it up. I'd like to hear from some one who actually works with credit scores. It seems that it could still be a bad mark on you score if it was sold for pennies on the dollar. Wouldn't you want to know something like that happened if someone was trying to borrow money from you?

quote:
If Rolling Jubilee does not file a 1099c so the IRS is not made aware of the tax liability, doesn't that just mean the IRS doesn't come looking for the money even though technically the former debtor's tax liability remains, correct?
I would expect the total tax liability for everyone involved to go down since interest income was not actually realized.

quote:
The Debt Resistors Operations Manual posted on Rolling Jubilee's website looks excellent.
I didn't see that. I'll have to take a look.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

I looked at the debt resistor's manual for a bit and like what I see, thus far.

I'd like to discuss the strategy we are using to deal with our massive education debts but I don't want to run the chance of certain folks being made hip to it.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

If you know of any strategies that would be useful for dealing with massive student loan debt, please send me a PM. I know some folks who need help.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
If you know of any strategies that would be useful for dealing with massive student loan debt, please send me a PM. I know some folks who need help.

Ok. I will change my settings later this evening so I can do the PM thing. Don't count me as an authority but as just one guy telling his story as he understands it. I hope I will be of help.

About 13-14 months ago I was reviewing our finances and when I looked at the college debt situation I went into a major spiral that ended up with my wife having me at the hospital the day after Thanksgiving with someone keeping an eye on me so I didn't try to hurt myself. It turns out I have clinical depression and a good bit of anxiety. The money issue isn't the real problem but was the precipitating event. Our Plan A for paying for college (selling land we bought a few years ago) is not working out too well with the economy in the toilet and the health problem prevented me from being able to focus on putting together Plan B. Our issue is with PLUS debt. I will tell you what we put together in case you or someone you know is dealing with PLUS debt, too. With what our oldest daughter is doing we have also done some planning regarding Stafford debt, too.

I guess I told you all of that just so I could also say that if any of you are feeling buried by it all, let not you heart be troubled. Mine got troubled and it doesn't help.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
if any of you are feeling buried by it all, let not you heart be troubled. Mine got troubled and it doesn't help.

I am definitely filing this one for future use! Great quote.

[ 20. November 2012, 03:45: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

--------------------

Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really saddened to set the incredible burdens that student debt is causing and know this is becoming a larger and larger issue in the UK (and feel 'Grace & Mortgage' by Peter Selby nailed the issue about why it locks us away from our true selves).

I'm very excited about this rolling jubilee thing and wondered whether that topic is worth a thread in its own rights to explore the issue further?

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Late Quartet:
I'm very excited about this rolling jubilee thing and wondered whether that topic is worth a thread in its own rights to explore the issue further?

Go for it!

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Late Quartet:
I'm really saddened to set the incredible burdens that student debt is causing and know this is becoming a larger and larger issue in the UK

It can be a very scary time and many folks hold it in. In many circles it seems more acceptable to bring up your trip to the proctologist than it is to bring up money.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

There is an interesting article in the WSJ today about education debt.

If you live in the US, you, or someone you know, is probably buried under education debt.

What changes, if any, do folks see coming down the track?

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you live in the US, you, or someone you know, is probably buried under education debt.

What changes, if any, do folks see coming down the track?

I hope we return to the system of my youth, where the state schools were essentially free and open to everyone. They were an important ladder for helping motivated poor folks to better their lot.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:

The story is behind a paywall. Can you summarize, please?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:

The story is behind a paywall. Can you summarize, please?
I googled it in google news and am able to pull it up. I just tried to email you a pdf, too.

The article doesn't actually tell anything new to many of us. However, it does seem that being above the fold on the front page of a major newspaper is something new.

In short, there is so much education debt that it suggests that maybe it has been too easy to borrow money for education. The amount of education debt outstanding is exploding and people are finding it harder and harder to pay. Some are suggesting that lending standards be stricter and more consideration given to the amount of income that can be generated by the education in question.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016