homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So, have I missed anything?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: So, have I missed anything?
McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G'day everybody

It's been a while since I've been on Ship - which is ironic as you will see - but I've been thinking about the SoF and, after a bit of lurking to get the feel of it again, I thought I might poke my head out of my below-decks cabin.

I was last on here about six/seven years ago(?), when I got a job that involved alot of travelling (I drove 135,000km in one year) and staying in different motel rooms every week, and so it just wasn't feasible to try and keep up with the SoF. No offence guys, but NZ was still coming out of the Internet wilderness then and most motels still only had dial-up internet.

Since then, I got a "real job" (which aren't all they're cracked up to be), followed more recently by a year and a half working on cruise ships (hence the irony earlier). It was very long hours and hard work (I had 2 full days off in my year and a half), but a great way to see the world. We were based in the UK and mainly sailed around the Med, Norway and had a couple of months in the Caribbean. I know it sounds terrible and you all feel sorry for me, but I did have to put up with two years of summer, and that just gets tedious. [Roll Eyes]

So now I'm back home (and it's still summer!), but job-hunting again which is frustrating. But it's a great chance to catch up with the SoF and see what I've missed anything while I've been away.

What's the news, what's the gossip, any new Kiwis on board?

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back.
You may wish to read the board 'glory'.
And the board 'oblivion' gives a neat summary of the ship [Biased]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back McChicken. I remember you... you were an extra in the LOTR movies, right? I thought of you when I saw The Hobbit.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, you! Welcome back!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McChicken:
... I did have to put up with two years of summer ...

I could quite cheerfully put up with two years of summer in Norway. [Big Grin]

I don't think I've had the pleasure of your wit and wisdom (I joined the Ship in September 2006, so our paths may not have crossed), but welcome back anyway. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mc Chicken, welcome back -some of us are still around, though Zappa has deserted to our largest offshore island (obvious quote here from a late, but not lamented NZ PM) [Biased] .

Sounds like you've been moving around a bit - though maybe not as much as us Canterbrians who have managed to move but stay in the same place.

Good luck on the job hunting - you may have noticed there is a thread here in ALL Saints about that.

I second the idea of reading the "Glory" board, though maybe not in one sitting.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Hi Mc Chicken, welcome back -some of us are still around, though Zappa has deserted to our largest offshore island (obvious quote here from a late, but not lamented NZ PM) [Biased] .

Be very careful, a mate of mine in the ADF says he has nothing in his diary after lunch on Monday, that would be the perfect time to demote John Key to Chief Minister of the Eastern Territory [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
welcome back!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
McChicken !! [Big Grin] Welcome back. I too have strangely thought of you recently and thought "Hmm.. McChicken hasn't been around for ages - he was an extra in Lord of the Rings!" What an uncanny coincidence. Anyway, it's great to have you back. You wouldn't believe how much has happened [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers guys

Yeah I was an extra on Rings. Unfortunately I didn't get to do any work on The Hobbit cos I was busy cruising, but I'm hoping to get some work on pick-ups for it this year.

I had a look at the Glory board and I'm sorry to hear about Erin and Kenwritez. Erin gave me a fairly toothless savaging (by her standards) when I made the classic newbie mistake of asking "why can't we all just get along" on a Hell thread,and KW was always very articulate and witty I remember.

Sorry also to hear about Zappa moving over to Mouth Island, but you know what probably the same PM said; "NZers who move to Australia raise the average IQ of both countries".

Piglet, if you ever get a chance to do a cruise in Norway, sailing down the fjords is the best way to visit!

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016