homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » EE, by gum! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: EE, by gum!
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chill out. I don’t know what you imagine to be your purpose on the Ship (and don’t especially care), but you really ought to know that your strident and often rudely objectionable approach is a piss poor way to get others to sympathise with your viewpoint. I cannot remember ever being moved by anything you posted into any acceptance of your point, and the reason for this is that your approach to discussion makes me think you’re a fascist little cunty shit with whom I should never agree. And this despite the fact that I suppose you’re sometimes right.

Way to be evangelical.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not as imaginative as the last time you called me down.

You're slipping, Yorick.

I'm disappointed.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a suspicion you generally are. Hence the problem.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

That's a bit better.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE,
I don't read the boards as much as I used to, so I wanted to see if Yorick had a point. In doing so I found the following gems from your oeuvre:
quote:
I suggest you go and read up about it, and then come back and have a sensible discussion about 'evidence', because your comments clearly reveal a total misunderstanding of the subject.
quote:
But I suspect that, because you don't personally like my conclusions, you then attempt to claim that I am not reasoning on the basis of valid evidence. Really, if you want to fool me, you need to be a bit more subtle than that.
quote:
I suppose that argument would have some merit if the construction of life was somehow inherently imprinted on the laws of physics and chemistry, such that the mere application of those laws would inevitably produce little Croesoses and EEs.

I am sure that even you realise that this is not the case.

Those are just your recent posts.

I am usually happy to discuss things. I am even happy to enter into robust discussion where my assumptions are picked apart one by one. My willingness to continue polite discussion after having been insulted is nil. While I have no empirical evidence to back up my assumption, I assume that most other people are unwilling to continue polite discussion after having had you look down your nose at them.

The reason for the number of quotes is that it is sometimes hard to see your own reflection in a single moment.

In truth EE, it was easy to pick out posts with insults of some ilk or another because just about every single one of your recent posts contained an insult. Perhaps it was because you were in the heat of battle in these threads. My question for you is why should there be a heated battle? Are you incapable of making your point in a forceful, but polite, way?

From reading your posts you appear to be more than intelligent. Perhaps you could use some of that intelligence to evaluate your posting style and ask yourself some fundamental questions. For instance, are you posting to persuade or let off steam? Do you think you are accomplishing your goal in these threads? What then is your goal?

You may well consider this to be none of my business. That's fair. You don't know me and you have plenty of mental resources on your own. My reading of these recent threads is that you are not persuading as much as you are causing other to cling steadfast to their positions.

Just some thoughts.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread about Kevin Bacon.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Tortuf
quote:
From reading your posts you appear to be more than intelligent. Perhaps you could use some of that intelligence to evaluate your posting style and ask yourself some fundamental questions.
ISTM, this is more an impediment for some. The logic being. "I am intelligent, I believe [ statement ], therefore it is true."
Add a healthy dose of stubborn and....

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

"This video is not available. Sorry about that."

No no, Youtube, don't apologise. That may be a significant chunk of my mental health you just saved.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

I thought it was going to be about a certain mobile phone company (and I bet I'm not the only one who thought that).

[ 21. February 2013, 11:45: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Kevin Bacon really horsemeat?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, in the aforementioned EE adverts, Kevin Bacon is 100% ham.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean he's a ham actor?
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we keep the wordplay down please, in the wild hope that I might get to spend my hostly time reading a decent Hellcall for a while. Ta.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
For instance, are you posting to persuade or let off steam?

I don't think so.

I think EE is posting in order to convince himself.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Chill out. I don’t know what you imagine to be your purpose on the Ship (and don’t especially care), but you really ought to know that your strident and often rudely objectionable approach is a piss poor way to get others to sympathise with your viewpoint. I cannot remember ever being moved by anything you posted into any acceptance of your point, and the reason for this is that your approach to discussion makes me think you’re a fascist little cunty shit with whom I should never agree. And this despite the fact that I suppose you’re sometimes right.

Oddly enough, Yorick, some of the denizens think that this more than adequately describes you as well.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I never would have used the word 'strident' for Yorick.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Oddly enough, Yorick, some of the denizens think that this more than adequately describes you as well.

Thank you for being their spokesperson, Pete. The fact that 'some of the denizens' think of me that way is a scratched old record, and hardly mitigates here. That said, I do feel I have been improved by some of the more, erm, well-meaning feedback that I have received on this board, and I only hope our evangelical acquaintance is of similar sensitivity.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
That said, I do feel I have been improved by some of the more, erm, well-meaning feedback that I have received on this board, and I only hope our evangelical acquaintance is of similar sensitivity.

I suppose in my defence (although admittedly it probably sounds a bit feeble), I am a refugee from another site, which was rather more combative. It's not easy to resist tarring all atheists with the same brush, especially when the same 'buttons' are pressed. Being called "a liar for Jesus" etc simply for holding views that the other person didn't agree with (as happened on the other site), has probably set up in me an unfortunate pugnacious set of reflexes. When I migrate I must remember to leave the old culture behind!

I will try to calm down (except when dear Gamaliel brings up the issue of speaking in tongues [Snigger] )

[ 22. February 2013, 09:49: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Thank you for being their spokesperson, Pete. The fact that 'some of the denizens' think of me that way is a scratched old record, and hardly mitigates here. That said, I do feel I have been improved by some of the more, erm, well-meaning feedback that I have received on this board, and I only hope our evangelical acquaintance is of similar sensitivity.
hey loserface, clean out your PM box. I was going to say something really nice, but I feel the moment passing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
That said, I do feel I have been improved by some of the more, erm, well-meaning feedback that I have received on this board, and I only hope our evangelical acquaintance is of similar sensitivity.

I suppose in my defence (although admittedly it probably sounds a bit feeble), I am a refugee from another site, which was rather more combative. It's not easy to resist tarring all atheists with the same brush, especially when the same 'buttons' are pressed. Being called "a liar for Jesus" etc simply for holding views that the other person didn't agree with (as happened on the other site), has probably set up in me an unfortunate pugnacious set of reflexes. When I migrate I must remember to leave the old culture behind!

I will try to calm down (except when dear Gamaliel brings up the issue of speaking in tongues [Snigger] )

For some reason I had it in my mind that you were rather sweet and pure and idealistic when you first arrived on board.

That seems to have changed. The cynical, hard fighter for Jesus has taken over.

.......perhaps it was my imagination......

.......or perhaps it's projection.........

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
The cynical, hard fighter for Jesus has taken over.

Jesus don't enter into it. IMO anyway.
I do not think most people truly argue on behalf their belief system, but because it is their belief.

.......or perhaps that's just projection.........

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if Jesus had less apologists, he would have a whole lot less to apologise for.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well according to my Spiritual Director From Hell™ most of our lives are about projection.

So fear not little Buddhist; you're in good company.

[x-posted with Patyds]

[ 23. February 2013, 04:50: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
I think if Jesus had less apologists, he would have a whole lot less to apologise for.

If Jesus has less apologists, he wouldn't have to apologise for anything because there wouldn't be any christians in the world.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed the bit where God said 'Go out and justify my existence and the problems of theodicy, miracles and creation to the world.' I think if we spoke less about and for God and spent more time living as though we truly believed in God, Christianity would survive just fine.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

The living quietly as if you believe in God doesn't seem to have done much for the faith.

My denomination (that holds that kind of theology) is not flourishing number wise.

You just end up with the loud, bolshy christians with terrible theology giving Atheism plenty of converts.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Jesus don't enter into it.

Not with EE. He's all about logic, reason and the adoration of authority. They are the Trinity he worships. God, Jesus and the Spirit don't get a look in.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You rang ...

I scrolled downa nd noticed a name-check that has halted me here in the depths of infernal Dis ... not Diss in Norfolk although that would be a prime candidate ...

I thought we'd dropped the 'tongues' thing.

I'll allude to it here in response to EE's reference, insofar that I suspect that particular topic epitomises his approach to things and why he gets hot under the collar.

EE has spent a lot of time arguing with atheists and has developed a QED type approach which is all about 'proving' things and using logic and trying to win arguments on that basis. Fine, as far as it goes ... but it doesn't quite cut the mustard.

I think Patdys is right. There is a place for apologetics but it can end up counter-productive.

I agree with Evensong that a kind of quietist, principled Christianity isn't that effective numbers-wise. Our nearest Quaker meeting is very poorly attended indeed. Likewise our nearest Anglophone Orthodox parish hasn't grown in numbers a great deal since its inception in the mid-1990s.

Through no fault of his own, EE can sound rather strident and dismissive - 'Listen, sheer logic ought to tell you that X,Y,Z ...'

It's the polar opposite of the Zen Masters and the mystics of the Eastern Orthodox tradition. They take a more 'show don't tell' approach.

There's room for both, of course, a kind of Western propositional approach and a more mystic or 'Eastern' style where you demonstrate rather than remonstrate.

Just my two happ'orth and I only mentioned 'tongues' in passing.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
The living quietly as if you believe in God doesn't seem to have done much for the faith.

My denomination (that holds that kind of theology) is not flourishing number wise.

You just end up with the loud, bolshy christians with terrible theology giving Atheism plenty of converts.

Precisely; only they call themselves apologists. Care to reinforce my point some more?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll now be pedantic and address mine Host, Martin.

'God, Jesus and the Spirit.'

Perhaps I'm idolising Authority, but shouldn't that be 'God the Father, Jesus and the Spirit'? Because the Son and the Spirit are just as much God as God the Father is.

I'm sorry, but it narks me at our local evangelical parish when people say things like 'God and Jesus.'

You know how it goes, 'It isn't God who is going to judge the world, it's Jesus ...' as though they haven't grasped the Trinity properly ... insofar as any of us can grasp it properly that is.

For my own part, I don't doubt EE's Trinitarian credentials. I do think he argues in a highly 'Western' fashion though. Which is fine in its own terms but it can rub people up the wrong way.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
quote:

Precisely; only they call themselves apologists. Care to reinforce my point some more?
The trick is to be a loud, semi- bolshy apologist with good theology. [Snigger]

Otherwise we'll die out altogether!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Ok, that made me smile. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Touchdown!

Frickin hard to make Patdys smile these days.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys
I missed the bit where God said 'Go out and justify my existence and the problems of theodicy, miracles and creation to the world.' I think if we spoke less about and for God and spent more time living as though we truly believed in God, Christianity would survive just fine.

There is a difference between "both ... and" and "either ... or".

Opening your mouth and saying why you believe something to be true is not inconsistent with living accordingly, despite the fact that some people fail to do so (and yes, I am "looking in the mirror" as I write this).

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
I thought we'd dropped the 'tongues' thing.

Note to self: please remember (for next time) that Gamaliel doesn't have a sense of humour, and doesn't understand why smilies are used.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing which annoys me about your posts EE, is that you seem to feel the need to defend God.

S/he doesn't need you to do that!

Are you sure you don't do all this arguing about 'evidence' to convince yourself more than to convince the rest of us? After all - we are very unlikely to be converted to your view. There are much more fertile fields out there!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
The thing which annoys me about your posts EE, is that you seem to feel the need to defend God.

Code for: "The thing which annoys me about your posts EE, is that you say things that I don't agree with. And that really pisses me off!!"

quote:
Are you sure you don't do all this arguing about 'evidence' to convince yourself more than to convince the rest of us?
They really are such naughty people who talk about that silly thing called 'evidence'! It should be banned!!

But maybe you're right: maybe all those desperate people who talk about 'evidence' are just trying to convince themselves. I always thought those atheist apologists, who keep harping on about evidence, don't really believe that God doesn't exist. Thanks for confirming that!!

quote:
After all - we are very unlikely to be converted to your view.
The royal 'we' presumably!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:

Code for: "The thing which annoys me about your posts EE, is that you say things that I don't agree with. And that really pisses me off!!"
Nope - it doesn't piss me off at all. It intrigues me. I don't even particularly or strenuously disagree either.

I just question your motives.

I'm here for the community and chat [Smile]

What are you here for - to convert/convince others or to convince yourself?

There is no need to answer, but I am curious as to what you enjoy about the Ship?

<edited to change crazy coding>

[ 23. February 2013, 11:10: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Perhaps I'm idolising Authority, but shouldn't that be 'God the Father, Jesus and the Spirit'?

Yes. Poor phrasing on my part.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
They really are such naughty people who talk about that silly thing called 'evidence'! It should be banned!!

Actually, very little of what you post is about evidence itself. It's mostly philosophy, which is interesting and even occasionally thought-provoking but ultimately as relevant to questions of fact and evidence as arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish there were a 'Like' counter.

Patdys [Overused]

And Evensong, your SDFH is SOOOOOO right.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

S/he doesn't need you to do that!

Doesn't S/he?

One wonders why anybody bothered to write the gospels then....

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Actually, very little of what you post is about evidence itself. It's mostly philosophy, which is interesting and even occasionally thought-provoking but ultimately as relevant to questions of fact and evidence as arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Since when is philosophy not evidence?

It totally is.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:

And Evensong, your SDFH is SOOOOOO right.

My SDFH?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian

Define what you mean by 'evidence'.

Oh wait... you can't! That would mean straying into something called philosophy!

Oh well...

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Nope - it doesn't piss me off at all. It intrigues me. I don't even particularly or strenuously disagree either.

I'm here for the community and chat

There is no need to answer, but I am curious as to what you enjoy about the Ship?

I assume you ask the same question of anyone who posts anything in Purgatory?

After all, I read the following concerning that board:

quote:
Pull up a chair, get your brain in gear, and prepare for some serious time in Purgatory. This is where your ideas, views and beliefs can be refined and made fit for Heaven! Purgatory is our serious debate space – where theological, ethical, political, social and cultural issues are discussed from a Christian perspective. All views are welcome – orthodox, unorthodox, radical or just plain bizarre – so long as you can stand being challenged.
So you feel the need to question my motives for just doing in Purg what we are supposed to do in Purg? Why???

In fact, in the light of that, I have to wonder about your motives for even asking such a bizarre question!

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
EE has spent a lot of time arguing with atheists and has developed a QED type approach which is all about 'proving' things and using logic and trying to win arguments on that basis. Fine, as far as it goes ... but it doesn't quite cut the mustard.

I think Patdys is right. There is a place for apologetics but it can end up counter-productive.

And the alternative which is not counter-productive vis-a-vis atheists is.....?

quote:
It's the polar opposite of the Zen Masters and the mystics of the Eastern Orthodox tradition. They take a more 'show don't tell' approach.

There's room for both, of course, a kind of Western propositional approach and a more mystic or 'Eastern' style where you demonstrate rather than remonstrate.

Well I never!

Gamaliel of all people talking up mysticism! After all your long diatribes against those who rely on spiritual experiences alone, I'm shocked. I really am.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The reason you have hell call, EE, is not that you argue a position with which others strongly disagree. Others do this and are not called here. It is the manner in which you do it. The sheer, unwarranted arrogance grates. It is fairly amusing that you and Gamaliel fight so, as you both share that trait.
Gamaliel seems to recognise this more often, though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:

I'm here for the community and chat

I assume you ask the same question of anyone who posts anything in Purgatory?

After all, I read the following concerning that board:

quote:
Pull up a chair, get your brain in gear, and prepare for some serious time in Purgatory. This is where your ideas, views and beliefs can be refined and made fit for Heaven! Purgatory is our serious debate space – where theological, ethical, political, social and cultural issues are discussed from a Christian perspective. All views are welcome – orthodox, unorthodox, radical or just plain bizarre – so long as you can stand being challenged.
So you feel the need to question my motives for just doing in Purg what we are supposed to do in Purg? Why???

In fact, in the light of that, I have to wonder about your motives for even asking such a bizarre question!

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I meant to question your motives in the light of your attitude. You just don't seem to enjoy being here at all, so I just idly wondered why you are.

My motives for asking are (as I said) curiosity as to what you get out of the Ship.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
You just don't seem to enjoy being here at all

[Confused]

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha
The sheer, unwarranted arrogance grates.

Thus speaketh a paragon of humility!!!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016