homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Desert Fathers & Mothers - recommendations

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Desert Fathers & Mothers - recommendations
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been suggested that I might like to have a look at the writings of the Desert Fathers (and Mothers), and that I should probably start with something fairly general.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to a good place to start?

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I suggest Rowan Williams' book, "Silence and Honey Cakes"? He takes some of their stories and sayings as starting points for reflection. It's not an in-depth introduction, but I found it a very interesting and thought-provoking read.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - that's good.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kingsfold, I would suggest you go directly to the texts.

As Lent for the Orthodox begins in a few days, you could do worse than do what Orthodox monastics do during Lent. Pick up a copy of St. John Climacus's Ladder of Divine Ascent and read it methodically through Orthodox Lent, going to some of their Lenten services as you are able.

This coming Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday give you the liturgical opportunity to hear the Canon of Saint Andrew of Crete. While he is not a Desert Father, by hearing his Great Canon on Repentence during Compline of those four days, you get yourself thrown into the deep end of another classic text of the ascetical life.

The edition of the Ladder from the Paulist Press's Classics of Western Spirituality series is the cheapest and most natural translation. It has a 70-page introduction by Kallistos Ware and a shorter preface by one of the translators. The edition from Holy Transfiguration Monastery, while in stiffer prose, will give a different perspective on the text and has paragraph numbers.

St. Andrew's Canon can be found in Mother Maria and Kallistos Ware's Lenten Triodion.

Another text to start with is Athanasius's Life of St. Anthony, also available in an inexpensive edition from the same Paulist Press series.

Theirs seems a strange world at first, but repeated reading will suggest to you just how frighteningly close it is to our own.

[ 16. March 2013, 21:23: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a Benedictine issue of 'The Sayings of The Desert Fathers' somewhere ... some of it is very peculiar - exploding basilisks anyone? - but much of it is very thought-provoking.

I must dig it out. Must also read some of the material that has just been mentioned.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helen Waddell: The Desert Fathers. A selection of sayings and biographical material.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I endorse Silence and Honey cakes as an introduction.
Also:
The Wisdom of the Desert - Thomas Merton. Slim and accessible.

Asking the Fathers - Aelred Squire. A 40 yr old classic. Much denser but readable.

Hope you enjoy your explorations!

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kingsfold, I'm back to warn you away from starting with any of the various Anonymous or Alphabetical editions of the Sayings or Wisdom or Apophthegmata of the desert fathers.

Apothegms, short and pithy, by their very nature are excised from their rich context and tend to be epigmatically obscure rather than introductively instructive.

Exploding basilisks, indeed.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second Merton's "Wisdom of the Desert", beautifully translated.
Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's certainly wise advice, The Silent Acolyte but it's where I started and probably why I am confused.

Yes, there is an exploding basilisk. One of the Fathers comes across one in the desert and prays unto the Lord and lo it bursts ...

It's true. It's in the book.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think I've got a copy of Silence & Honey Cakes hidden, neglected and unread somewhere on one of my bookshelves, which sounds like a place to start with a gentle introduction.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
kingsfold, I'm back to warn you away from starting with any of the various Anonymous or Alphabetical editions of the Sayings or Wisdom or Apophthegmata of the desert fathers.

I think that's what the OP was interested in.

The only saying of a desert mother I can remember is of the monk crossing the desert and seeing a party of nuns ahead. He duly averted his eyes in order to avoid looking at them. As they passed, the mother commented that if he had been a true monk he wouldn't have noticed their sex in the first place. (I have probably misremembered that one, but I like my version.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "problem" with the Apophthegmata is that they are frequently out of context.

I second "Silence and Honey Cakes" and further recommend the Philokalia (various editions available), plus, for some good meta-text this one:

Cowan, James (2004), Desert Father. Boston, Mass: Shambala.
This is a book about St Anthony but it goes very deply into the desert spirituality, its history, its quests, and the general spiritual context.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016