homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The end of my ministry? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The end of my ministry?
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

- Posted      Profile for Cedd   Email Cedd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am at a troubling crossroads in my life and ministry and would be grateful to hear the thoughts of other Shipmates.

I was ordained into the Church of England about five years ago and have served a really good curacy. I mean really good, not only have the family and I been happy but I have had a lot of responsibility, the church has grown and it has felt like we have been in the right place doing the right thing the whole time. I left a highly paid profession to come into ministry and not for one moment did I regret the change.

However, despite going for innumerable interviews over the last year we have been unable to find the right parish for an incumbency. We have had some offers but had to decline them because they did not suit for different reasons such as distance from London (for my wife) or just not feeling any sense of call of excitement about them. Perhaps that was naive, I don't know. However, most of the interviews were a 'no' from the parish but not for any more terrible reasons other than me not being the right fit for them. Anyway, have been to loads of interviews and still have nothing and could be thrown out on my ear by my current diocese very shortly. I have been completely exhausted by the interview process and feeling quite spiritually barren at the moment. For the first time since being ordained I am giving serious thought to leaving full time ministry and going back to my previous career or finding something else.

Do any Shipmates have any experience or thoughts about this? Is this God's way of getting me off the payroll and into self-supporting ministry or perhaps out the church altogether?

If this is the wrong place for this thread please forgive me.

--------------------
Cedd

Churchmanship: This week I am mostly an evangelical, catholic, orthodox with both liberal and illiberal tendancies. Terms and conditions apply.

Posts: 377 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My bishop (in Canada, which is a somewhat different situation) told me that he could get "lots" of priests, but he was having trouble finding people who could pay for one.

If that's any help.

I can't offer much beyond sympathy.

At the same time, I know that if, for some reason, our small village church finally ran down, there isn't another church within several hours drive that I would want to go to on a regular basis, so I guess I'm close to the same bind you find yourself in.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

- Posted      Profile for Cedd   Email Cedd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you and thanks to the person who PM'd me - I tried to respond but your inbox if full. Career counseling is a helpful suggestion!

--------------------
Cedd

Churchmanship: This week I am mostly an evangelical, catholic, orthodox with both liberal and illiberal tendancies. Terms and conditions apply.

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cedd:

... and could be thrown out on my ear by my current diocese very shortly.

Will you please explain why your diocese would do that instead of helping you with this situation?

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waiting is perhaps one of the most difficult callings Cedd. You've had affirmation that none of the applications you have made so far have been right, by the replies.

It might be that God has something else in mind now, like chaplaincy or missionary work etc. It might be that the right situation is not yet vacant. All there is to do is to keep waiting, watching and praying, and working toward the vision of your place in God's service.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
quote:

... and could be thrown out on my ear by my current diocese very shortly.

Will you please explain why your diocese would do that instead of helping you with this situation?

Unfortunately because they want to sell / redevelop the house and we are in their way at the moment. Never mind that there is good ministry going on here, the diocese has its eye on the cash...

--------------------
Cedd

Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Waiting is perhaps one of the most difficult callings Cedd. You've had affirmation that none of the applications you have made so far have been right, by the replies.

It might be that God has something else in mind now, like chaplaincy or missionary work etc. It might be that the right situation is not yet vacant. All there is to do is to keep waiting, watching and praying, and working toward the vision of your place in God's service.

Unfortunately there is only three weeks left to watch and wait for, and the rest of the word is aiming towards Christmas rather than getting us into a new job. After that time my stipend stops and we will be out of the house. If a clergy job does not come out of the woodwork then I will have to seek a professional job again (to do feed and shelter my family) and if I go down that route then it may be the end of my time in ministry as I have no doubt that my wife will not want to go through this again. Seems like such a waste after so many years aiming at ordination and having had such a good start to ministry.

--------------------
Cedd

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sympathies, but I think that you are one of many who are or will be in that situation in the years ahead.

It may be that returning to your previous career might be a suitable option. Do not rule it out as being a positive direction and part of your calling - you are not the same person now as you were before, and you can bring something extra. It might be that you can look at a similar different career route.

And yes, interviewing is exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Acknowledge this, and let yourself have time to relax and refresh yourself, if you can. It may be that returning to another career is the right option for now, but you could move into another ministry role later.

But this is not an easy position to be in. It is not a criticism or judgement on your ministry, just that someone with your particular skills may not fit in every place. Sometimes, that is because the places are narrow-minded and stupid, sometimes it is not.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you will probably have to take something you are not excited about. Will the diocese keep you on if you rent your own accomodation ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're beyond your initial 3 year title, you can't be thrown out under Common Tenure unless they have a genuine reason for time-limiting your post and its written into your SoP. PM me if you wnat advice on this.

The CAA list? You've presumably got yourself on it?

Coaching - I pay for clergy seeking posts to have a session on two with 3D Coaching - Google them and ask your Archdeacon/Bishop to pay.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cedd, perhaps you are right and this is the 'end of your ministry', at least as you have known it, and perhaps also as you have understood it.

I would encourage you to let go (even if only a little) any presuppositions about how your ministry will be played out in the context of your family life and your need to earn a living.

Talk things through with your wife, listen to her hopes, think about your family as a whole; the skills and talents you have. Life is short, some aspects of life we only get to do once, others can be repeated or allowed to rest for a while to give other things time and space.

You may well find that God's 'calling' in your life/lives is far more open and flexible than you imagined. Psalm 139 captures that recognition of true faithfulness.

FWIW, my experience has been that when God has definite ideas about the direction of my life the options are well and truly clarified, but more often than not it's a case of 'Hey, Alisdair, it's your life---I have set you free---you get out there, make a decision, and for better and for worse I will be with you'.

All the best, and God's peace be with you.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, Cedd, keep yourself hopeful and trusting if you can. In 'official' ministry or outside of it, God is there and has plans for your welfare (and your family's). Maybe it's worth waiting for the post that you feel good about and a good respone from the parish. But otoh some of us who have trod that path, convinced we've found the 'right' place, have painful stories to tell, too. It's a crap experience sometimes, but even a bad or difficult incumbency can be the key to a fuller and more fruitful ministry in the long-term.

So Maybe it's just about hanging on to God whatever happens and trusting that your availability to him will be his opportunity to use you for his kingdom, however that happens. God Bless.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "it has to be within a certain distance from London" is limiting partly because probably lots of people are looking for that same location range. Is there any way this can be softened without affecting your marriage?

I once turned down an offer because of "wrong location," I now regret that foolishness on my part, I now know I would have loved living in that location for a few (or more) years.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cedd, I think it is safe to say that people on the Ship will hope that this turns out well for you.

If you are not able to continue your career as it is, will you return to your previous occupation or look for some other way to serve? (Chaplaincy in the armed forces, religion-related publishing or journalism, non-profit employer?)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that you need to beware of thinking in such melodramatic terns. It does not mean the end of your ministry even if you have to use secular employment for a while. Janet Lees is a URC minister who seems to alternate between being a speech therapist and ministerial posts. That does not mean it is easy. I supported a friend while her husband commuted weekly by train in the year the train service almost collapsed while she waited for the right pastorate to appear. That year was tough on her and I would be lying if I said otherwise.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "it has to be within a certain distance from London" is limiting partly because probably lots of people are looking for that same location range. Is there any way this can be softened without affecting your marriage?

I once turned down an offer because of "wrong location," I now regret that foolishness on my part, I now know I would have loved living in that location for a few (or more) years.

[Duplicate post deleted - DT, Purgatory Host]

[ 02. December 2012, 20:26: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

Thanks all, your words and support are all appreciated.

When I first started training I was on an 'open ticket' meaning I was approved for both stipendiary and self-supporting ministry. I choose to go stipendiary despite my impression that the church was moving inexorably towards the self-supporting model and, on the whole, I have no regrets about the last few years. However, perhaps I am now being pushed back out in the 'real world' and may take up self-supporting ministry when settled back into a career, assuming of course that one can be found these days.

A couple of people have mentioned 3D career counselling to me, and I shall certainly look closely at that.

It is certainly challenging to ones' faith to have given it all, to have done well and then still be left in this situation. My wife is so angry that she can hardly face going into church at the moment, and yet it was her faith that was so instrumental to me coming to faith. One day at a time - perhaps there will be a nativity for us at the end of this advent...

Thanks again one and all.

--------------------
Cedd

Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

Unfortunately not - my wife is angry enough without also making her give up her career!

--------------------
Cedd

Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I think that you need to beware of thinking in such melodramatic terns. It does not mean the end of your ministry even if you have to use secular employment for a while. Janet Lees is a URC minister who seems to alternate between being a speech therapist and ministerial posts. That does not mean it is easy. I supported a friend while her husband commuted weekly by train in the year the train service almost collapsed while she waited for the right pastorate to appear. That year was tough on her and I would be lying if I said otherwise.

Jengie

You are of course correct - the end of this form of stipendiary ministry is not the end of all possible ministry for me. Just going through a stressful time at the moment, and this can result in feeling a bit melodramatic.

--------------------
Cedd

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Sorry about the triple post (weird computer glitch).

Yes the marriage comes first!

Your current position got you a great start. Maybe from now on it's self-supporting, or back and forth, or a different model like work in a hospital or old folks home or prison instead of a typical parish.

(Discernment is a life-long process.)

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cedd, I must admit that I am in a somewhat similar situation. For many years I was involved with a particular work in a Christian charity, much of which involved implementing projects in the developing world. It was certainly a form of Christian ministry, and the chairman of the trustees said as much. However, that didn't stop him throwing me on the scrapheap when the internal political situation apparently demanded it.

So, despite my background and having had the benefit of a good education, I am now doing a very low paid job in domiciliary care, just about making ends meet for my family, suffering from a number of health problems, one of which was extremely serious last year and could have cost me my life, and there are other rather more personal issues that I would rather not elaborate on here. However, on a daily basis I meet people who are suffering far more than I am.

I have to be honest and say that I am glad that I did not respond to the OP just after I first read it, because I would have said something that I would later have certainly regretted. It just seems to me that compared to my situation you have a lot going for you. If it really is the case that you have the option of returning to a highly paid job, then you are in a very enviable situation indeed. Take it from someone who does not have that option, and who is having to trust God without financial security and with a whole host of other problems.

Might I suggest that your difficulties might be God's way of opening your eyes to the kind of painful and traumatic struggles most people have to go through in life (including many Christians)?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:

Might I suggest that your difficulties might be God's way of opening your eyes to the kind of painful and traumatic struggles most people have to go through in life (including many Christians)?

You may be right, thank you. As it happens I have no idea what other options are open to me because we are in tough times (as you know) and there is not much call for someone who may be seen as 'flakey'. But I certainly take your point that I do not have it as hard as many and, yes, perhaps this is God's way of showing me just that.

--------------------
Cedd

Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me the prospect of loss of job and home in THREE weeks' time is dramatic. Who of us, faced with this would not feel in crisis ?

My thoughts for you and yours in this tough situation

[ 02. December 2012, 20:53: Message edited by: Imersge Canfield ]

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems more support than debate - so we will hand you over to the good folks in All Saints.

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] My prayers (feeble as they are) are probably worth more than advice.

When you say you need to be within reach of London, does that mean central London? Are there no 'house for duty' posts in either London or Southwark dioceses, which would allow you to continue some sort of pastoral ministry while earning your keep at your old profession? I can understand that you might not be emotionally ready to support the church for free for a while yet, but you don't say whether you have your own house to live in if you went back to your old job; if not it might help meanwhile. Pete173 has made an important point, and you say you've served five years already.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

Thank you Angloid and others.

In response to Bp Pete although I have gone beyond three years I am still in my title post and have not yet become an incumbent on common tenure. This diocese often has title posts of four years and I have gone beyond that because of the difficulties of finding a job. Therefore I don't think I can do the common tenure thing, as attractive as that sounds.

No, we don't have a house to move into and therefore we would be open to consider a house for duty in the right place, at least as a temporary measure.

Lots of [Waterworks] in the Cedd household tonight and also a sleepless one. I know that lots of people have it worse a lot of the time but this is a personal toughie and I hope and pray that we can look back on this one day as a positive turning point because, right now, that is the best we can hope for. So, yes please, all prayers welcome. [Help] [Votive]

--------------------
Cedd

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] You and your family are in my prayers, Cedd

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:

Lots of [Waterworks] in the Cedd household tonight and also a sleepless one. I know that lots of people have it worse a lot of the time but this is a personal toughie... So, yes please, all prayers welcome. [Help] [Votive]

Whether others "have it worse" is irrelevant. Your problems are real; all the tears and prayers that can help are appropriate.
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no words of advice, just support. You have your own mountain to climb and climb it you must. I too struggled in my ministry, working part time on a low wage while living on my own was difficult. I prayed a prayed for full time work but it was not to be. I was at my wits end when a full time job appeared which I secured--praise God.

It seems to me that sometimes God waits until every hope is dashed before he acts. Perhaps that is how he gets us to rely on him.

I have not lived in London for many years, it was expensive when I did, I guess it is much more so now. Could you get some part time employment while you follow your ministry dream?

[Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without knowing you, I wouldn't know where to start offering advice - particularly not on such a public forum - but I would like to make a general comment that may be relevant.

Certainly in this part of the world, it will happen increasingly often that bishops/dioceses are not able to offer an automatic stipendiary post to clergy who need to move on, even at the end of a successful title post. Many clergy (including those in positions of hierarchical authority) will find it hard to come to terms with losing the perception that, once ordained, you have a 'job for life', and that the Church's responsibility to you includes the permanent long term provision of employment. It isn't ideal, but it's the way things are, and will continue to be. The hierarchy are going to be embarrassed by this, and will in some cases handle it badly, and the Church urgently needs to access top-notch HR advice in order to deal with helping clergy to move on - sometimes into secular employment or into forms of ministry they had not envisaged for themselves.

I realise this is not consolation for someone like Cedd who is caught in that uncomfortable place between reality and expectation, but it has to be faced up to at every level.

As for Cedd, you have asked for prayers, and that goes without saying.

[Votive]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add: it's a big blow to one's self-confidence when you keep getting rejected. But some of the most effective priests I have known are those who have apparently been written off by selection conferences, theological colleges, bishops, etc. Keep the faith, brother!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

Thank you all for your words and kindness.

[Overused] [Waterworks] [Overused]

--------------------
Cedd

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No wisdom, but [Votive]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst a different career path, it pretty much matches my situation. All I can do is wish you luck, and hope you have more inspiration than I've had. It's shit, but it's all I can offer. [Tear]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds especially difficult given your success in your current post. I've always found Psalm 124 to be comforting...

"If the Lord himself had not been on our side, •
now may Israel say;
If the Lord had not been on our side, •
when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us alive •
when their anger burned against us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us
and the torrent gone over our soul; •
over our soul would have swept the raging waters."

Being above water still, even if barely, can be a sign.

I suspect that while your ministry in its current form may be ending, you will take your ministry—and the experiences you've had so far—forward with you into whatever your next role may be. It isn't wasted time.

Just adding more prayers. [Votive]

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

Thank you all. The sad and interesting thing is that I have had ten times more support from the people on this board and from my Facebook friends then I have ever had from my diocese.

My wife is being increasingly clear that she wants out of the church, if we can. I think that the past year in particular has damaged her faith hugely - and I know that one can throw all sorts of theology and psychology at that but she is really hurting and beginning to wonder whether we have just been living a big delusion. It makes it very hard to go for clergy interviews knowing that my wife does not want us to take the job, even if offered.

Of course I have no idea how possible it is for me to get a job back in the 'real world' of work but I am beginning to think that that may be the only way that we are ever going to be able to put our lives back together.

--------------------
Cedd

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cedd [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My former minister contemplated moving from the ministry to a chaplaincy job. Perhaps this would be a good compromise. If you want to work in Greater London there should be lots of openings.

(I was going to recommend that you consider working as a minister in another denomination, but I suspect this won't appeal to you.)

I hope it all works out for you.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cedd and Mrs Cedd [Votive] [Votive]

[ 04. December 2012, 09:59: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only add a [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adding my prayers for Cedd and Mrs Cedd [Votive]

I hope it all works out for you and your family.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers ascending here for Cedd and the Cedd household.

Just a word about chaplaincy and secular jobs. I can only speak for healthcare chaplaincy, but I have to say it's not for everyone. The stresses are very different from parish ministry, but very real.

On the downside, if you go into an entry-level post in the NHS you'll be taking a serious pay cut for at least the first 3 or 4 years: you'll find yourself having to pay for your house, your pension, your council tax and utilities, and you'll lose a lot of your expenses. You'll be spending most of every working day with sick people, and many of the stories you become a part of will not have happy endings. You'll have no choice but to spend most of your time with non-Christians.

On the upside, when you go home at the end of the day you are home, and unless you're on call nobody will be phoning you at 2am. When they do, it'll be a healthcare professional and not a religious fruitcake. You'll have structures that apportion responsibility so that it doesn't all fall on you. It is somebody else's problem to see that the chapel roof doesn't leak. And you'll have no choice but to spend most of your time with non-Christians. (See what I did there? [Biased] )

Secular job? It can be done. But it's amazing - and annoys me intensely - how carefully and completely the CofE de-skills its ordinands, so that once they're ordained they cease believing that they have any transferrable or employable skills. The Church does its damnedest (I choose the word carefully) to lead you to believe that for the rest of your life, only the Church will ever want to employ you. It's not true. Consult a careers adviser, and they'll show you what skills you have that are in demand.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Secular job? It can be done. But it's amazing - and annoys me intensely - how carefully and completely the CofE de-skills its ordinands, so that once they're ordained they cease believing that they have any transferrable or employable skills. (...) It's not true. Consult a careers adviser, and they'll show you what skills you have that are in demand.

I would heartily second this, albeit from abroad.

I left full-time ministry in dramatic circumstances and while I regret many aspects, following good careers advice I have thoroughly enjoyed having a 'real world' job with far more affirmation than I ever got from church hierarchies.

I understand the struggling with the issue of a vocation and I admit that eight years on, I haven't resolved that one myself yet. But I've enjoyed seeing more of the Kingdom outside the goldfish bowl of the Church.

I am also a (prison) chaplain though, the downside is that here it's non-stipendiary!

[Votive]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

I take on board everything said about hospital chaplaincy, and I can't say that I have ever felt that particular calling. Possibly prison chaplaincy and possibly university...

In terms of de-skilling of ordinands the good news is that I trained part-time whilst continuing to work full time in my profession and I have done one or two things during my curacy to help keep up my professional skills. I am meeting an old and trusted colleague tomorrow to discuss how possible it would be for me to return and it may even be the case that there will be a job there. If that were to happen, and it is by no means certain, then the way we feel at the moment I suspect that I would take the job and we would then set about finding a house and getting back into a 'normal' routine.

If all that happened then, after a six month break, I can imagine exploring an NSM role with a local church. So, provided we can get through the immediate stress of not actually knowing what is going to happen I can begin to imagine having a fruitful life and ministry outside this particular goldfish bowl. Now we just need to get there!

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am meeting an old and trusted colleague tomorrow to discuss how possible it would be for me to return and it may even be the case that there will be a job there.

Best wishes for a good meeting.

[Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Completely different circumstances and situation, but both my wife and I lost our jobs with no prospects and preschool children 20+ years ago. We developed the understanding that "even idiots make a go of it in the world". So we tried to remain cheerful and not be idiots. There is no plan that this would happen to you, but plan now you must. You will land somewhere and make a go of it. It's cliché but if you have a spouse who loves you and other family, you will get through anything, DV.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the part of the world where I live, there is more of a demand for chaplains than priests. While many positions are non-stipendiary, there are definitely paid chaplaincies for schools, prisons, police and emergency services and A grade sports clubs. The last seems to be a growing area - but it would probably only appeal if one had a strong love of the particular sport.

Surviving the church stuff, especially when you care deeply about her, is a wild surf ride; but making sure your marriage survives is far more important. She is hurt for she loves you, and hates seeing you treated this way.

[Votive] May God give you wisdom and perseverance, and raise you up, even on the last day.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016