homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This one has Mark Betts' name on (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: This one has Mark Betts' name on
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
currently, mostly for his outings on the Crappy Hymns thread that basically say that anyone who disagrees with him is stupid and not a proper Christian which is pretty offensive, but I'm sure if I bothered to look I'd find more ...

... but secondly for the oh, so reminiscent echoes of a certain conglomerate of posters with similar opinions and a necessity to tell everyone about them from a while back

edited to correct the apostrophe

[ 10. June 2012, 09:53: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Second Hell call this month? My, my.

A suggestion: if you don't like it, don't sing it. It's not the Nuremberg rally.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
currently, mostly for his outings on the Crappy Hymns thread that basically say that anyone who disagrees with him is stupid and not a proper Christian which is pretty offensive, but I'm sure if I bothered to look I'd find more ...

That attitude hasn't been limited to the crappy hymns thread.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Care to provide a link Curiosity?

Just so we can see whether the insufferable young pup of new found faith is indeed continuing his inanity or whether he's just ruffling your stuffy, inflexible feathers?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Care to provide a link Curiosity?

Just so we can see whether the insufferable young pup of new found faith is indeed continuing his inanity or whether he's just ruffling your stuffy, inflexible feathers?

I'm not CK, but this is the thread referred to:
Yet More Crappy Choruses

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Now just a minute pal... Do you expect me to answer to that? They are your words, not mine - so if anyone doesn't like them they should argue with you, not me.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems funny that the Crappy Hymns thread is supposed to be about peoples' opinions. So why is it sacrosanct that everyone must like anything with Graham Kendrick's signature? ...especially since he churns them out at the rate of about one every five minutes.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
It seems funny that the Crappy Hymns thread is supposed to be about peoples' opinions. So why is it sacrosanct that everyone must like anything with Graham Kendrick's signature? ...especially since he churns them out at the rate of about one every five minutes.

The problem isn't that you have an opinion - it's your responses to anyone who disagrees with you. You belittle them and often insult their Christianity.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
The problem isn't that you have an opinion - it's your responses to anyone who disagrees with you. You belittle them and often insult their Christianity.

So in your opinion, this sort of hogwash was necessary?
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
Here's some advice for you:

quote:
Originally said by someone wise:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

In other words, if you don't know what you're talking about then don't comment.
...I don't think so!

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I repeat, Mark, Curiosity Killed is NOT a big Graham Kendrick fan.

Like several other posters I could mention, you appear to have an unnecessarily binary approach to several issues that leads you to adopt a tone which others (perhaps with a more nuanced viewpoint?) can find offensive and belittling.

I can't speak for CK, but I suspect that's what's going on in this case.

At times, I wonder whether you've been on these Boards before under another name and that you're posing as 'Mark Betts' in order to wind us all up.

But that's just a dark suspicion on my part.

At other times I feel you really are a newbie who has yet to learn the etiquette and the ropes. I've been here for years and I still transgress at times ... I do get warning shots across my bows from Host occasionally.

The fact that CK isn't a known Graham Kendrick afficionado and yet still calls you to Hell suggests that it isn't the anti-Kendrickness of your posts that has triggered the call but a certain insufferable pomposity on your part ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:

So in your opinion, this sort of hogwash was necessary?
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
Here's some advice for you:

quote:
Originally said by someone wise:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

In other words, if you don't know what you're talking about then don't comment.
...I don't think so!

Nope, he was out of line and got a hostly warning just as you did. Two wrongs don't make a right. DS doesn't have the rep you've acquired in your short time here. You seem to express any disagreement with others in a quite arrogant fashion.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

But it wasn't CK who got my goat in the first place (see above)..

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To lift a few lines from The Seven Dwarf's 'Work' song ('Heigh Ho'):

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do ...

If you dig dig dig with a shovel or a pick
In a mine! In a mine! In a mine! In a mine!
Where a million diamonds shine!

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from early morn till night
We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig up everything in sight ...

We dig dig dig a-dig dig ...

Get the picture?

Stop.Digging.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
At times, I wonder whether you've been on these Boards before under another name and that you're posing as 'Mark Betts' in order to wind us all up.

But that's just a dark suspicion on my part.

And your name is Gamaliel? Gamaliel what? Smith, Jenkins? I don't always believe that is your true name either - at least on Facebook you have some idea who you're speaking to.
quote:
At other times I feel you really are a newbie who has yet to learn the etiquette and the ropes. I've been here for years and I still transgress at times ... I do get warning shots across my bows from Host occasionally.

Ah, you mean it's sacrosanct to bow and scrape to liberals and charismatics, no matter how offensive they are to you? Now I understand...

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

I'll often tackle both liberals and charismatics here aboard Ship.

If anything, my ire and ammunition tends to be directed more at people who are closer to my own background and tradition ...

Although whenever I read your posts I'm tempted to turn my guns on the Orthodox. Hitherto I've been very Orthophile on these boards. That is beginning to change ...

It's like the other week when I suggested to Etymological Evangelical and others that their (to my mind) rigid certainties over particular (to my mind) secondary issues were enough to drive me into the arms of the National Secular Society.

It was hyperbole, of course.

In your case I'm beginning to want to join the 'Let's-go-down-our-nearest-Orthodox-church-with-some-whitewash-and-paint-out-the-icons-and-install-a-PA-system-to-broadcast-n on-stop-crappy-worship-choruses-just-to-annoy-them-society.

If one doesn't exist already, I will form it.

There, you've driven me to it. Satisfied?

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

I'll often tackle both liberals and charismatics here aboard Ship.

If anything, my ire and ammunition tends to be directed more at people who are closer to my own background and tradition ...

Although whenever I read your posts I'm tempted to turn my guns on the Orthodox. Hitherto I've been very Orthophile on these boards. That is beginning to change ...

It's like the other week when I suggested to Etymological Evangelical and others that their (to my mind) rigid certainties over particular (to my mind) secondary issues were enough to drive me into the arms of the National Secular Society.

It was hyperbole, of course.

In your case I'm beginning to want to join the 'Let's-go-down-our-nearest-Orthodox-church-with-some-whitewash-and-paint-out-the-icons-and-install-a-PA-system-to-broadcast-n on-stop-crappy-worship-choruses-just-to-annoy-them-society.

If one doesn't exist already, I will form it.

There, you've driven me to it. Satisfied?

Find a Greek one - they'll probably love it! [Yipee]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear Lord it gets worse.

Firstly, that last comment is exactly the sort of thing that gets you planked. Diss the H&As in such a childish way and your arse will be moving so fast the door won't have time to hit it as it swings shut behind you.

Secondly, only aggressively drunk Glaswegians demanding to know which football team you support ever call another person 'pal'.

Josephine, come and take his shovel away. Please.

(xposted with G)

[ 10. June 2012, 12:41: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Copied from the Crappy choruses thread

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
quote:

Childlike = humble, respectful and knowing one's place

Childish = annoying, repetitive and not acting one's age

Re your definition of childlike, I take it you've not met many children

Re your definition of childish, now where have I encountered this trait recently?

Aaaaah, I think you need to join my newly awarded Hell thread if you want to continue this... Look forward to seeing you there! [Smile]
To be honest Mark, you're not worth the effort.

[ 10. June 2012, 12:45: Message edited by: Kitten ]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Ah, you mean it's sacrosanct to bow and scrape to liberals and charismatics, no matter how offensive they are to you? Now I understand...

You.Just.Don't.Get.It. It's your arrogant and often insulting attitude towards anyone who disagrees with you that get's people upset with you. Aside from hell, one is expected to be respectful of other people even if you don''t agree with their theology, lack of theology, political beliefs, etc. That is why both you and DS got reprimanded in the crummy choruses thread. Treating someone with respect and thoughtful replies on the boards outside of hell is not "bowing and scraping". Aside from the fact that it's basic Christlike behavior, it's what will gain you respect as a poster here at SoF. Try being respectful towards others, even if they insult first, and you might find people listening to your opinions and considering your views on theology. They aren't right now because of the way you respond to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
To be honest Mark, you're not worth the effort.

OK, don't then...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One, I'm not your pal, Mark Betts, neither do I have any intention of becoming one on current form

Two, as Gamaliel says, I am not a lover of happy clappy worship songs and a praise band Service of the Word means I take that Sunday off or find somewhere else to worship, but you're showing your ignorance gunning for Graham Kendrick, there's a lot, lot worse out there

Three, it wasn't your comments about Graham Kendrick garnered this Hell call, it was your dismissive words and attitude and that smug knowingness that is horribly familiar and reminiscent of other characters who've graced these boards in the past. Now you may just be the sort of obnoxious n00b who arrives to tell everyone how best to be a Christian, or you may be a sock puppet of a previously banned Shipmate (or group of them), but either way, you're not making friends and influencing people here, and drawing back, reading, listening and learning might make your time on the Ship more pleasant for everyone else. Or you could continue as you're going and find that the ride gets stormier.

Four, Evensong, if you really want a Hell thread with your name on, that could be arranged, but this isn't about you, so shut the fuck up.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

No. Just liberals.

We are sacrosanct. Charismatics are not.

Nor are Catholics, Protestants, Monophysites, Quakers or the Orthodox for that matter.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Nightowl said.

You seem to think, first, that because the Ship is about unrest, that your best approach to most posting is Hellish cheekiness. Second, that the best approach to Hell is ramping up the cheekiness factor. This really isn't a good strategy. It merely makes you sound thirteen.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...at least on Facebook you have some idea who you're speaking to.

If that's what you seek from here, a Facebook type of community built solely around snappy rejoinders and witty one-liners, I'm afraid you won't find it. If you truly seek wisdom above intelligence, you might do well to actually listen to some of the people who are spending their time trying to assist you in finding it, rather than adopting a childishly confrontational approach to everything. You're like a fucking seven year-old. ASD much?
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
passer:
quote:
You're like a fucking seven year-old. ASD much?
I guess I was being generous, huh?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
but either way, you're not making friends and influencing people here, and drawing back, reading, listening and learning might make your time on the Ship more pleasant for everyone else.

He doesn't care.

People will either eventually stop calling him to hell out of boredom.

Or he'll be banned (depending on how RooK is feeling).

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
passer:
quote:
You're like a fucking seven year-old. ASD much?
I guess I was being generous, huh?
Yeah, you softie!
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
He doesn't care.

People will either eventually stop calling him to hell out of boredom.

Or he'll be banned (depending on how RooK is feeling).

Oh, go back to your "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Episcopal Church" yeah?

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
If you truly seek wisdom above intelligence, you might do well to actually listen to some of the people who are spending their time trying to assist you in finding it, rather than adopting a childishly confrontational approach to everything.

Oh yes, a fool amongst wise men - like yourself you mean? (I'm joking!)

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And your name is Gamaliel? Gamaliel what? Smith, Jenkins? I don't always believe that is your true name either - at least on Facebook you have some idea who you're speaking to.

Whatever Gamaliel's name is, he is someone who has been posting here since 2001. He's also someone who has been posting here since 2001 in a consistent and intelligent way (well, reasonably, [Biased] ).

If you don't know who Gamaliel is, perhaps it would make sense for you to find out? It's not actually very difficult. It might also save you the embarrassment of coming across as a complete arsehole. Just a thought.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
...It might also save you the embarrassment of coming across as a complete arsehole. Just a thought.

Pot... meet kettle.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

...but I'm sure Gamaliel appreciates the crawling...

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
...but I'm sure Gamaliel appreciates the crawling...

This is the definition of childish that you were looking for in the crummy chorus thread. Grow up.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
quote:
If you truly seek wisdom above intelligence, you might do well to actually listen to some of the people who are spending their time trying to assist you in finding it, rather than adopting a childishly confrontational approach to everything.

Oh yes, a fool amongst wise men - like yourself you mean? (I'm joking!)
I just checked the list of things I give a fuck about, and your opinion of me doesn't currently appear on it, so - sorry about that.

Your behaviour may well be NFN (no offence to B62) but on here you just appear very juvenile and quite foolish. It isn't mandatory to get the last word in, or even to respond when someone addresses you, let alone try to turn your every utterance into a comedic gem. This applies to life in general, not just this discussion board.

I haven't read the Crappy Choruses discourses at any great length but I note that the threads have been running since November 2001, so I suspect that the chance of you bringing anything genuinely novel to them is somewhere between diddly and squat. That doesn't preclude you contributing of course (like it's any of my business anyway) but you might like to consider that most opinions have already been aired at some point, and contributors have learned to live with their differences.

Many of the regular posters on SoF have been here for ten years or more, and they see tits like you come and go with monotonous regularity. You are not going to carve out a niche for yourself as the resident jester or live-wire. Judging by your current form the best you will achieve is transient dickhead, or a shit that passes in the night.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@ Mark Betts

Do you ever listen to yourself? Imagine being someone else hearing what you are saying?

Translate that to this environment. Folks cut you less slack here because typing takes time, has inbuilt self-critical space.

If you have any powers of self reflection at all, I can pretty much guarantee that at some time in the future you will be shuddering with embarrassment about some of the nonsense you've spread, thoughtlessly and indiscriminately, around these boards.

Right at this moment I'm personally giving you the benefit of the doubt; that you are not just another internet troll having his "fun" and not giving a shit about anybody else. I'm allowing for you just be thoughtless and inconsiderate.

Stop - and think.

[ 10. June 2012, 14:23: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, so how is this behaviour from Mark Betts not trolling and flame baiting? He's definitely coming over as a WUM (first definition)

eta: ah, well, Barnabas64 is nicer than me - cross post

[ 10. June 2012, 14:26: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
OK, so how is this behaviour from Mark Betts not trolling and flame baiting? He's definitely coming over as a WUM (first definition)

Subject is a WUM, pure and simple. Trolling does more than disrupt while it isn't provoking the angry response which flame-baiting does, merely an exasperated one.

Nevertheless, DNFTT seems to fit the bill. Subject could cut the jerkishness, but I doubt it will bother to do anything as useful as that.

(fwiw, Mark Betts is new to his current flavour of Christianity. Once 'first love' fades I wonder how he'll look back on these recent posts?)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Three for three, CK. And I join with those who have said they suspect he has been here before.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

If he has been here before (and he sure sounds familiar, doesn't he? [Paranoid] ) our fearless editors and admins will eke it out soon enough. And if he hasn't, I shudder to think there are two of them.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Four, Evensong, if you really want a Hell thread with your name on, that could be arranged, but this isn't about you, so shut the fuck up.

I think you have missed the fact that the world revolves around Evensong. According to her. Every thread is about her.

I think it is probably because she cannot see beyond her own areshole, her head being so far up it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Three for three, CK. And I join with those who have said they suspect he has been here before.

Really? My thought was the quality of trolls is dropping, but if it has been here before, perhaps I am merely nostalgic.
I understand CK's annoyance, but dismissed MB's artless childish prattle as generally unworthy of notice.

[ 10. June 2012, 15:28: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
And I join with those who have said they suspect he has been here before.

I don't think he's a sock. I think he's just seeking something, some sort of enlightenment to fill the emptiness in his soul, but is too lacking in social skills to learn from the sort of people he knows can probably help. Is used to being regarded as quirky, in a world where acuity is highly regarded, but is unable to see a discussion as a learning experience rather than a competition.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
quote:

I don't think he's a sock. I think he's just seeking something, some sort of enlightenment to fill the emptiness in his soul, but is too lacking in social skills to learn from the sort of people he knows can probably help. Is used to being regarded as quirky, in a world where acuity is highly regarded, but is unable to see a discussion as a learning experience rather than a competition.
Most likely...Bingo!

Well, dweebs have come to their senses before on the Ship. But oh! until they do... [brick wall]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I suspect the likeness to other idiots is purely co-incidental. Just because they have no originality does not mean that they are the same person. Just that wankers are tending to all look alike these days

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark Betts, you could post your full name, address, biography, resume and credit report here, and you wouldn't even come close to having the kind of cred Gamaliel has earned by his extended and generally respectful participation on these boards.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's not so much a sockpuppet as a melange of annoying persons past and present. The theological and denominational arrogance of Gordon Cheng, the anti-Anglicanism of Fr. Greg, the childish "I'll take you all on with one hand behind my back"ism of Thomas DF, the horrifically bad reflection on Orthodoxy of the pre-atheist Andrew Squiggle, the "I don't care what you think about me"ism of Evensong, the immature impetuosity of Max. -- I'm sure you all could name others (including myself). Remains to be seen if he'll settle in and grow up a little. I know where my money is. Mousethief Coolers and hot cashews while we wait, anyone?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
...It might also save you the embarrassment of coming across as a complete arsehole. Just a thought.

Pot... meet kettle.
Mr. Betts. Put the shovel down. Please.

When you're tempted to say "Pot ... met kettle," take it as given that you're covered in dirt.

In catechism, I'm sure you were taught that you are not to confess other people's sins. You don't even really need to notice other people's sins. Your own are more than enough. So just look at yourself. If you're covered in muck, you need to clean yourself up. There's no reason for you to object to the soot on someone else's clothes when your own are filthy.

Further, if you attended Liturgy this morning, I'm sure you noticed the priest or the deacon cense the people that were there. In catechism, were you not taught the meaning of that? Each human being is an icon of the Most High God. Just as your veneration passes through the icons that you kissed this morning to the prototype, so to your disrespect passes through these icons to the Prototype. Think about that for a few minutes, please.

Gamaliel is an icon. Anselmina is an icon. Curiosity killed is an icon.

Please, Mark, instead of insulting them, you need to treat them with dignity and honor. If they were with you physically, I would suggest that you do a metania before each of them, and ask their forgiveness.

Metanias are hard to do online. But you can go to your icon corner, say the prayer of St. Ephraim (I know it's not Lent, but you can say it anyway), and then say the Jesus prayer 40 times, with a prostration for each.

Then ask the Holy Spirit to show you the image of Christ in each person you interact with.

And then come back to the Ship and try again. You'll know what to say when you come back.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Pot... meet kettle.
[Snore]

If you knew what you were talking about you'd know I'm not crawling to Gamaliel. That's the point.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark--

You might find this useful. And it's on an Orthodox site.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posted by Sioni:

quote:

Subject is a WUM, pure and simple. Trolling does more than disrupt while it isn't provoking the angry response which flame-baiting does, merely an exasperated one.

WUMing can be somewhat amusing though if done carefully enough. I keep basking in the glory of convincing half a ship cafe one night that O'Bama had been shot by a militant Jain.

In this instance - if it is WUMing - it is neither amusing nor glorious. As I said before on the other thread; this is merely deceit.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016