homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Big Occasions in the CofE versus the ECUSA (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Big Occasions in the CofE versus the ECUSA
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Discussions on the 'black miter' thread about the American Episcopal penchant for the hated 'bendy poles' led to me to think once again about something that has often puzzled me, namely why the Church of England seems so much better at managing 'big events' than its American counterpart. Indeed, it's tempting to say that 'big events' are what the CofE does best, and apparently what the ECUSA is incapable of doing well.

Why is that, when one goes to a big CofE public service — whether in a Cathedral, Royal Peculiar, College Chapel, or Civic Church — one can reasonably expect a surpliced choir, well known-hymns, and choral music from the Anglican tradition, whilst the same sorts of services in America seem to call for tie-dye vestments, bendy poles, liturgical dancing, and achingly well-intentioned but nevertheless cringe-inducing musical selections drawn from diverse developing countries? I'm quite sure that the latter form of worship is not the house style of the overwhelming majority of American Episcopal parishes, but it seems de rigueur for certain big events.

Why should this be? It's quite clear why the CofE chooses to do big events the way it does: most of the country may be indifferent at best to Christianity, but a large section of them do know three or four hymns off by hear and enjoy the opportunity to sing them (these hymns, by the way are 'All people that on earth do dwell', 'Guide me, O thou great redeemer', 'The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended' and just possibly 'Praise my soul, the King of Heaven'). Also, it's what the Royal Family likes, so people see it on tv. What possible explanation is there, however, for the big public liturgies of the ECUSA?

ETA: This is not about 'High' vs 'Low'. In many ways, the ECUSA style for big public services is 'higher' both in inessentials, like the frequent use of incense, and in essentials, like the tendency to do most things within the context of the Eucharist. It's really more a question of taste — namely good vs. bad.

[fixed title typo]

[ 17. July 2012, 16:34: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

- Posted      Profile for Boat Boy   Email Boat Boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not getting involved...
Posts: 151 | From: The deep south (of the Home Counties) | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowan's enthronement had 'cringe-inducing musical selections drawn from diverse developing countries' - we are (for as while longer, hopefully) part of a worldwide communion.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe ECUSA realizes that we live in the 21st century.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Rowan's enthronement had 'cringe-inducing musical selections drawn from diverse developing countries' - we are (for as while longer, hopefully) part of a worldwide communion.

Yes, but it also a had a much higher proportion of selections from Western 'classical' music and Anglican hymnography. I thought the balance was much better, even to the point of doing things like using the Coverdale psalter (the BCP is still authorized, after all). I cannot imagine any big ECUSA event using the 1928 psalter or any other 'Rite I' material.

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Maybe ECUSA realizes that we live in the 21st century.

Not bloody likely! They seem stuck in the latter part of the 20th: specifically the late 1960s or the 1970s.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That would still put them about a century ahead of the C of E.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oxonian Ecclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12722

- Posted      Profile for Oxonian Ecclesiastic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could it be to do with Establishment? The Church of England has to be the Church for everyone who lives in England; TEC has no such rôle for the United States. The Church of England is perhaps therefore bound to be less 'eclectic'.
Posts: 174 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really think it's a general cultural artifact that extends beyond the bounds of the CofE per se. Brits - certainly the English in any case - are far better at doing stateliness, pomp and circumstance, than are Americans. Cathedrals are absolutely the worst examples of TEC churchmanship overall, I think. You want stately cathedral style worship in TEC? Then go to St Thomas Fifth Avenue, not to the Cathedral of St John the Divine. Large, well-established, financially well-off TEC parish churches are likely to do things a lot better than the cathedrals on this side of the pond. There are no doubt some exceptions, especially in more liturgically conservative parts of the country, but in general I think our cathedrals get deans and other clergy with the very worst standards in Anglican music and liturgics.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even are your airy-lefty social responsibility Episcopal shacks, the worship will almost certainly be a staid, perfectly catholic rite II service with organ music. Really, TEC Big Occasions have no correlation whatsoever with parish life. It's like a completely different Church.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Even are your airy-lefty social responsibility Episcopal shacks, the worship will almost certainly be a staid, perfectly catholic rite II service with organ music. Really, TEC Big Occasions have no correlation whatsoever with parish life. It's like a completely different Church.

From my limited experience, this is accurate (or close enough). The real question is, why?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because we is British.

That is what we do.

We are the world champions of impressive and apparently milldy obsolete ceremonial and pageantry (even if most of it was invented between about 1840 and 1910)

We also have Bonfire, coronations, cricket (makes more sense considered as a ritual invocation of nature spirits than as a sport), genuine marching pipers in kilts (as opposed to fake ones who can only play "Amazing Grace"), investitures, military tatoos, more elaborate university graduations than you do (and the speeches are less likely to turn into tedious pap talks), morris dancing, traditional naval reviews (even without Turbinia), proper football fans with proper traditional chants and occasional genuine blood, real horse racing (American racing has those silly tantantaras, yeuchhhh, and the boring flat circular dirt tracks, and a general lack of royalty, real ale, drunken farmers, and corporate hospitality tents full of skimpily dressed PR women), Remembrance Day, shinier massed bands, state funerals, Orange Marches the size of a planet, the best ever flypasts (a Vulcan, a Lancaster, and two Spitfires flying in formation and Concorde flew overhead - beat that!), the Changing of the Guard, the Lord Mayor's Show, the State opening of Parliament, Trooping the Colour, Maggie Thatcher, Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, and much much more!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

- Posted      Profile for Boat Boy   Email Boat Boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<wipes away a proud tear>
Posts: 151 | From: The deep south (of the Home Counties) | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Because we is British.

That is what we do.

We are the world champions of impressive and apparently milldy obsolete ceremonial and pageantry (even if most of it was invented between about 1840 and 1910)

We also have Bonfire, coronations, cricket (makes more sense considered as a ritual invocation of nature spirits than as a sport), genuine marching pipers in kilts (as opposed to fake ones who can only play "Amazing Grace"), investitures, military tatoos, more elaborate university graduations than you do (and the speeches are less likely to turn into tedious pap talks), morris dancing, traditional naval reviews (even without Turbinia), proper football fans with proper traditional chants and occasional genuine blood, real horse racing (American racing has those silly tantantaras, yeuchhhh, and the boring flat circular dirt tracks, and a general lack of royalty, real ale, drunken farmers, and corporate hospitality tents full of skimpily dressed PR women), Remembrance Day, shinier massed bands, state funerals, Orange Marches the size of a planet, the best ever flypasts (a Vulcan, a Lancaster, and two Spitfires flying in formation and Concorde flew overhead - beat that!), the Changing of the Guard, the Lord Mayor's Show, the State opening of Parliament, Trooping the Colour, Maggie Thatcher, Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, and much much more!

That may or may not be the answer, but it's certainly a damn fine post.

[singing to himself] Bring me my bow of burning gold/ Bring my arrows of desire/ Bring me my spear — O clouds unfold!/.... [/singing to self]

--------------------

Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

I was at Garter Day at Windsor this year and approximately 2/3 of the order of service was taken up with the order of the procession!
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we supposed to infer anything from the fact that the OP has refrained from using TEC's correct name?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Are we supposed to infer anything from the fact that the OP has refrained from using TEC's correct name?

Well, as one of her most distinguished clerics has pointed out the American branch of the Anglican Church can hardly claim to be THE Episcopal Church. 'Episcopal Church of [or is it 'in'?] the United States of America' is at least accurate.

--------------------

Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

quote:

Oh yes - when did that change take place? Also, isn't it a bit presumptuous of that church to call itself THE Episcopal Church when there are many others across the world?
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
quote:

Well, as one of her most distinguished clerics has pointed out the American branch of the Anglican Church can hardly claim to be THE Episcopal Church. 'Episcopal Church of [or is it 'in'?] the United States of America' is at least accurate.
'Cept lots of our Church isn't in the United States. Our largest diocese in terms of membership is Haiti.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

LostinChelsea
Shipmate
# 5305

- Posted      Profile for LostinChelsea   Email LostinChelsea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ken observed:

Because we is British.

That is what we do.

The second half of the answer is that, in the TEC, “We ain’t British.”

The music referred to as “achingly well-intentioned but nevertheless cringe-inducing musical selections drawn from diverse developing countries” actually represents the breadth of worship in our church. I’ve seen regular Sunday worship in Chinese, French and Spanish – not in some exotic overseas locale, but here in the mainland Episcopal Church. TEC includes dioceses in places like Taiwan and Venezuela in addition to places in the USA with an amazing array of cultures: Alaska, Navajoland, Hawaii and more. Spanish-language ministry is growing quickly in our church. Including these influences in “big church” events is not a bow to trendiness, but rather a recognition of the breadth of our church and the society in which we serve.

As a side note, I’m always surprised when British friends raise their eyebrows (their version of showing shock and outrage) at American liturgical tendencies. It’s as if they are surprised that we don’t do it the same way stolid, Old School way they do at home … and as if they are somehow surprised that Americans might have a tendency to be splashy, loud, and cringe-inducing.

That’s who we are and what we do, so why wouldn’t you see it in our worship?

--------------------
Best when taken in moderation.

Posts: 237 | From: Deep South USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

quote:
quote:
quote:

'Cept lots of our Church isn't in the United States. Our largest diocese in terms of membership is Haiti.
But the Church of England also has its Diocese in Europe - it doesn't then refer to itself as 'The Anglican Church'.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

There was a somewhat similar thread a few months ago, posted in response to a video of a diocesan event at the National Cathedral, asking why "Cathedral Worship" didn't exist in the States. I think that Zach82 nicely sums up the general response: it does, it is just that all bets are off at diocesan events, where the planners typically try to throw in various innovations to show off the diversity of the diocese. The services are kind of like the view books schools send you when you are getting ready to apply for college; every picture shows people of all races and economic means hanging out and throwing a Frisbee around the quad. The reality when you get on campus is usually quite different.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, then, my experience is that my parish church does better ceremonial than the Los Angeles Diocese of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. I think it's because the diocese is always trying to be inclusive of every interest group, so each service is designed by a committee trying to please a whole bunch of other committees, so we get a horrible hodge-podge every time.

As for the Episcopal Church -- for fuck's sake, they're marketing the institution in the US. If you're offended, who the hell cares? You're not in the target audience.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boat Boy:
quote:

Oh yes - when did that change take place? Also, isn't it a bit presumptuous of that church to call itself THE Episcopal Church when there are many others across the world?
There are plenty of people who would consider it presumptuous of the Catholic and Orthodox churches to lay claim to these terms, but we generally have the grace to respect their naming conventions.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think the question of whether TEC is properly called that or should be called something else is relevant to this thread nor do I think it would belong in Ecclesiantics were it to have its own thread. I would say that the spirit of respect for the various Christian churches and traditions represented here requires that as a matter of course we refer to groups as they themselves prefer. Given that, can we return to the discussion of worship on big occasions?

Much obliged.

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by LostinChelsea:
It’s as if they are surprised that we don’t do it the same way stolid, Old School way they do at home … and as if they are somehow surprised that Americans might have a tendency to be splashy, loud, and cringe-inducing.

Because it's horrible? Just one suggestion....

--------------------

Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

quote:
quote:
Ken observed:

Because we is British.

That is what we do.

The second half of the answer is that, in the TEC, “We ain’t British.”

The music referred to as “achingly well-intentioned but nevertheless cringe-inducing musical selections drawn from diverse developing countries” actually represents the breadth of worship in our church. I’ve seen regular Sunday worship in Chinese, French and Spanish – not in some exotic overseas locale, but here in the mainland Episcopal Church. TEC includes dioceses in places like Taiwan and Venezuela in addition to places in the USA with an amazing array of cultures: Alaska, Navajoland, Hawaii and more. Spanish-language ministry is growing quickly in our church. Including these influences in “big church” events is not a bow to trendiness, but rather a recognition of the breadth of our church and the society in which we serve.

As a side note, I’m always surprised when British friends raise their eyebrows (their version of showing shock and outrage) at American liturgical tendencies. It’s as if they are surprised that we don’t do it the same way stolid, Old School way they do at home … and as if they are somehow surprised that Americans might have a tendency to be splashy, loud, and cringe-inducing.

Because it makes me think of anything but God.
Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
As for the Episcopal Church -- for fuck's sake, they're marketing the institution in the US. If you're offended, who the hell cares? You're not in the target audience.

How liberal and inclusive...
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I am always taken by the grandeur of "British" worship, these things are really matters of taste and culture. We Yanks have our own tastes and culture. It would seem the OP intends not to distinguish between these styles of worship but to suggest one is inferior to the other.

Oh, and crossed posted with Boat Boy - is the CofE the only church IN England?

[ 17. July 2012, 17:59: Message edited by: Comper's Child ]

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
It’s as if they are surprised that we don’t do it the same way stolid, Old School way they do at home … and as if they are somehow surprised that Americans might have a tendency to be splashy, loud, and cringe-inducing.

Because it's horrible? Just one suggestion....
I agree with that sentiment, but apparently at least some people in TEC like their splashy, loud and cringe-inducing worship. The fact is, as Zach has pointed out, the average TEC parish worship experience is nothing like what you get at big diocesan do-dahs taking place at the cathedral. Unfortunately, much TEC parish worship can be overly folksy and informal to the point of anarchy: a 10 minute time-out for the exchange of the sign of peace, with everyone crawling all over the pews and crossing the centre aisle. Who cares if our clergy all wear euchies when the overall level of dignity is just about zero. Of course, this is only true some places and in some dioceses. Unfortunately, I now live in one such diocese -- part of the reason I travel 40 minutes into Centre City Philadelphia to attend a parish church that does have dignity and reverence in the celebration of the holy mysteries.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
Much as I am always taken by the grandeur of "British" worship, these things are really matters of taste and culture. We Yanks have our own tastes and culture. It would seem the OP intends not to distinguish between these styles of worship but to suggest one is inferior to the other.

So if someone wants to include something, we basically have to, even if it's stupid, or we're being exclusive snobs.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

As I think about it, that may be the explanation for this phenomenon. At the parish level one can say "This is not the sort of thing for this particular community." But at the diocesan level, one cannot make that argument, since it's supposed to represent the whole Church. It becomes impossible to say no to anything, lest we become exclusive. The result being, of course, a service that doesn't represent 95% of the people present.

Heck, this is the Episcopal Church. 99% [Disappointed]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't believe the point about venue has yet been made. The reality is that most dioceses in the United States don't have cathedrals large enough to hold such a large group, and/or don't have large enough convention facilities attached to the cathedral to host the convention.

The General Convention and the majority of diocesan conventions, take place in rented facilities--usually large hotel/convention centers.

What does this mean?

1. A hastily-delivered electronic organ that is poorly voiced for the space, which is almost always carpeted, and whose walls have sound-dampening panels and sound-dampening accordion panels that have been opened to enlarge the space.

2. A last-minute choir of willing volunteers who have, at most, two hours of practice working together.

3. Volunteer musicians from the congregations of the diocese, on a taking-turns schedule so that most of the congregations with such groups have the privilege of helping at some diocesan liturgy over the years. Yes, this might mean a bit of ethnic diversity and non-European hymns. The horrors! [Martin fans self]

4. Any attempt at all to make the space seem less like an assembly hall (designed to seat 1000 in lovely (ehem) stackable, cushioned chairs) and more like a worship space. This may mean that enoromous pieces of fabric in various colors are employed to cover up the hideous walls, and dare I say it, waved above people's heads to distract them from the horrendous drop ceiling tiles. (I am adamantly NOT arguing in favor of them.)

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

What Zach says makes a lot of sense. One of the main problems with the special brand of Episcopal Diocesan liturgy is that it seems completely lacking in any sense of occasion or space. I may have great admiration for – say — the Anglican Church of Melanesia, but what works in that milieu probably wouldn't work in the chapel of St John's College, Cambridge. Conversely, I wouldn't criticize a parish in, say, Nouméa because their liturgy does not feature a surpliced choir singing Stanford and Howells. If we are series about enculturation, we have to apply it universally, and not just as a trendy buzzword. That means recognizing that, in large parts of the Western world, the musical tradition includes Mozart and Haydn and hymns by J.M. Neale and the like, but does not include songs in Yoruba that will not be understanded of the vast majority of those present.

Despite that conciliatory note about context, there is still no excuse for the bendy poles in any context whatsoever. Well, maybe in a Mardi Gras parade, but not in the sacred liturgy.

[ 17. July 2012, 18:43: Message edited by: (S)pike couchant ]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Martin has another good point. The last time I attended the diocesan convention here, it was at a hotel near the airport, in a room no reasonably intelligent choirmaster would attempt to sing in. The music was provided by the same praise band that plays at youth retreats; not coincidentally, the guy behind much of the technical planning of the convention was the same guy who plans the youth retreats. It wasn't a great space for a great liturgy.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
I don't believe the point about venue has yet been made. The reality is that most dioceses in the United States don't have cathedrals large enough to hold such a large group, and/or don't have large enough convention facilities attached to the cathedral to host the convention.

The General Convention and the majority of diocesan conventions, take place in rented facilities--usually large hotel/convention centers.

What does this mean?

1. A hastily-delivered electronic organ that is poorly voiced for the space, which is almost always carpeted, and whose walls have sound-dampening panels and sound-dampening accordion panels that have been opened to enlarge the space.

2. A last-minute choir of willing volunteers who have, at most, two hours of practice working together.

3. Volunteer musicians from the congregations of the diocese, on a taking-turns schedule so that most of the congregations with such groups have the privilege of helping at some diocesan liturgy over the years. Yes, this might mean a bit of ethnic diversity and non-European hymns. The horrors! [Martin fans self]

4. Any attempt at all to make the space seem less like an assembly hall (designed to seat 1000 in lovely (ehem) stackable, cushioned chairs) and more like a worship space. This may mean that enoromous pieces of fabric in various colors are employed to cover up the hideous walls, and dare I say it, waved above people's heads to distract them from the horrendous drop ceiling tiles. (I am adamantly NOT arguing in favor of them.)

That's nice and all- But it does'nt explain This. As to taste-There is a such thing as Bad taste. I think we ought not get into the mindset that because all tastes are different, that therefore all tastes are good. And while I would never say that, for example, including the music of a particular ethnic community in the diocese is bad taste, I don't see any other term for Giant Liturgical Puppets of Doom® or vestments that come in all the liturgical colors at once.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

Yes, I was nearly feeling sorry for the poor American Episcopalians who have to worship in horrible conference centres, then I remembered that some of the worst offenders are St John the Divine and the National Cathedral, both glorious buildings that rival or most English Cathedrals in aesthetics, if obviously not in antiquity.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

From my Methodist days I can recall very decent conference services being put on in the theater of Purdue University.

--------------------

NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, I often find myself in agreement with Zach, especially when it comes to the tragedies that we routinely call *diocesan* events. To be fair to the National Cathedral, they can put on presidential funeral service that can do us Americans proud. Of course, they don't have coffins laden with coronation regalia, or the Garter King of Arms proclaiming the deceased's styles and titles, or pillows placed on the altar with jewel-encrusted orders, BUT the Cathedral does okay or itself in this context.

Now, I will offer no defense of the diocesean events!

The secret seems to be the military. When they are involved, things get very nice and orderly VERY quickly!

Look at this video of President Ford's funeral at the National Cathedral: C-Span Video of Ford's Funeral

The order of service is here: Order of Service

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, I was nearly feeling sorry for the poor American Episcopalians who have to worship in horrible conference centres, then I remembered that some of the worst offenders are St John the Divine and the National Cathedral, both glorious buildings that rival or most English Cathedrals in aesthetics, if obviously not in antiquity.

So stay home then.
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
quote:

So stay home then.
I'm not entirely sure what about my comment deserved that response.

There seems to be a curiously knee-jerk reaction by many American Episcopalians here, who are willing to admit that the 'Diocesan Liturgies' of their branch of the Universal Church are often really rather horrible but who take some umbrage at anyone else pointing out this fairly obvious fact.

--------------------

Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

I've noticed that too. Without dragging it up again, my comments yesterday that attracted such vitriol were exceptionally mild compared to some others, but those others come from Americans and so are somehow acceptable to the other TECers.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about TEC cathedrals, but the sort of things praised in English cathedrals in(S)pike's first post, civic services and the like, are basically hymn sandwiches. Hymn and Anthem sandwiches maybe, but whether with great Gothic buildings, organ, robed choir and "I was glad" or in some back street shack with overhead projector, synthesiser and "Shine, Jesus, Shine" a hymn sandwich is still not catholic liturgy.

Frankly I'd prefer "Shine Jesus Shine" and the projector because they would probably be nicer and humbler people, and not just the Tory party at prayer.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

These services suck, and we've explained why. Do you really need to make the point again that they suck? Why are you so interested in the origins of this high level of suckage?
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
That's nice and all- But it does'nt explain This.

How much do you know about the rest of that liturgy? Compared to the Big Occasion hymn sandwiches of the Church of England, it was a Pontifical High Mass. As for liturgical vestments in various colors, one need only look as far back as the recent Jubilee liturgy at St. Paul's to see that the Church of England likewise has some confusion in this regard. The same is often true with papal masses, when clerics show up wearing the wrong thing, even though it is specifically publicized what to wear.

quote:
(S)pike Couchant:
There seems to be a curiously knee-jerk reaction by many American Episcopalians here, who are willing to admit that the 'Diocesan Liturgies' of their branch of the Universal Church are often really rather horrible but who take some umbrage at anyone else pointing out this fairly obvious fact.

Can you blame them? Many Eccles people do not find these liturgies to be their cup of tea, but the whole premise of this thread seemed to be a bit of an attack on TEC for not limiting itself to European expressions of worship.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
I've noticed that too. Without dragging it up again, my comments yesterday that attracted such vitriol were exceptionally mild compared to some others, but those others come from Americans and so are somehow acceptable to the other TECers.

Will it make you get over the injustice done to you if I point out that you got in trouble from jumping from the statement "TEC's primate has bad tastes in vestments" to "TEC's bishops have bad tastes in vestments" on that other thread? [Roll Eyes]

[ 17. July 2012, 21:19: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

Personally I'd say that your apparent example is far more tasteful than the TEC example from earlier:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/05/article-2154783-13755028000005DC-486_964x569.jpg

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I don't know about TEC cathedrals, but the sort of things praised in English cathedrals in(S)pike's first post, civic services and the like, are basically hymn sandwiches. Hymn and Anthem sandwiches maybe, but whether with great Gothic buildings, organ, robed choir and "I was glad" or in some back street shack with overhead projector, synthesiser and "Shine, Jesus, Shine" a hymn sandwich is still not catholic liturgy.

That's a legitimate criticism and one that I, at times, share. I do have a soft spot for the occasional 'service of the word' with really good music, though. I remember a rather scrumptious Jubilee service at the civic church in my little market town. If that makes me a bad person and a terrible Catholic, then so be it. Maybe such services could be redeemed by doing them in front of the MBS exposed (although that would of course require that everyone kneel or stand for the entire service and that all clerics be uncovered, something that in such places probably only applies to bishops.

quote:
These services suck, and we've explained why. Do you really need to make the point again that they suck? Why are you so interested in the origins of this high level of suckage?

Because, believe it or not, I care about the American Church and would prefer that it have a future that doesn't suck. Also, because criticizing and mocking bad liturgy is fun.

ETA: Maybe the real problem is that the USA is a republic. It does seem that, when one gets rid of the monarch, good taste is the first thing to go. Even given that, however, America has suffered more than, say, France (not that the RC Church in France has uniformly high liturgical standards: far from it, although as a general rule, the liturgy improves and the music gets worse the further south one goes).

[ 17. July 2012, 21:25: Message edited by: (S)pike couchant ]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

God, those awful coat dresses. Decades of them.
Boat Boy
Shipmate
# 13050

quote:
quote:

Will it make you get over the injustice done to you if I point out that you got in trouble from jumping from the statement "TEC's primate has bad tastes in vestments" to "TEC's bishops have bad tastes in vestments" on that other thread? [Roll Eyes]
No, because your rudeness was of an entirely unwarranted extremity.

Besides, many others agreed...

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016