homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is Someone trying to say something

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is Someone trying to say something
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe in a post modern society we doubt divine intervention, but with Hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Florida Coast, one wonders. All Eyes On Isaac
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking, since the evening news, that if this were the Dems' convention, somebody of the Jerry Falwell or Oral Roberts ilk would be yelling, "See? See? God is punishing them for casting America into the Outer Darkness!"

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
I've been thinking, since the evening news, that if this were the Dems' convention, somebody of the Jerry Falwell or Oral Roberts ilk would be yelling, "See? See? God is punishing them for casting America into the Outer Darkness!"

But it's the Republican convention, so you have to settle for Gramps49 saying it.

By the way, what's with the God talk? Doesn't George Bush cause hurricanes?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought that traditionally that was the role of the Phelps family.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an obvious way of pointing out a group that says "Let's have our biggest event in four years in coastal Florida in late August! What could possibly go wrong?" isn't ready for national leadership.

(Picking North Carolina in early September isn't much better, but at least the Democrats selected an inland location.)

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point Gramps.

I reckon the Great Storm of 1987 was His wrath at a third Conservative general election victory [Biased]

(for UK viewers...)

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you suggesting God would send a storm to tell the environment comes in second crowd that nature could bite back?

I doubt it. But it sure is funny as all get out.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everybody in the US is sufficiently provided with shelter to get through this okay.

Some people in Haiti, who have been living in very poor shelters since the earthquake, are going to die.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the question is "What is God saying to us?", I've found a consistently useful answer is, "What are you hearing?"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it ironic that the storm is named Isaac? What second name comes to mind after Isaac?... Newton, of course; the father of rational scientific thought. This is the opposite of Republican thought.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Everybody in the US is sufficiently provided with shelter to get through this okay.

Some people in Haiti, who have been living in very poor shelters since the earthquake, are going to die.

Moo

It is always a tragedy when someone dies in a storm. I certainly have no wish for the storm to hit anywhere that humans are hurt in any way; even delegates to the RNC. The storm is going to do what it is going to do and light humor about the storm is not going to change its path one way or the other.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Borowitz report, the Republicans have decided to avoid the threat of the storm by moving their convention to the 17th century...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Repeat after me: there is no climate change. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

TANGENT, but: I beg to disagree. Everybody in the US is not sufficiently provided with shelter. I do not live in the Tampa-St.Pete area, but if the sheer numbers of homeless where I live (in a fairly hostile climate in a state with comparatively low unemployment) mean anything, there are likely to be many, many US people in the path of this hurricane conducting their lives from cardboard boxes.

ETA: Having spent some time in Tampa, I'll just add that trailers -- of which there are many in this area -- are not adequate shelter from hurricanes.

[ 23. August 2012, 15:05: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Just an obvious way of pointing out a group that says "Let's have our biggest event in four years in coastal Florida in late August! What could possibly go wrong?" isn't ready for national leadership.

One could object that this isn't quite fair. They don't have much choice over the time of the convention, only the place. They owe it to Florida, not only a State in the union but one of the most populous, to hold their convention there from time to time, even if it means sharing some misery.

But never fear. Comes this comment in the newspaper from GOP Executive Director Jordan McGrain of Nebraska: "Nebraskans are used to dealing with severe weather and tornadoes every spring... We can deal with extremes of every kind. I'm sure most of us would welcome a tropical storm as a new experience."

Sane and seasoned Floridians might shiver in their shoes over an approaching hurricane, but not your can-do Nebraskan. He flirts with disaster as entertainment. Now ain't that just Presidential! What was the matter with all those fun-loving, hedonistic Louisianans that they didn't positively enjoy Katrina?

[ 23. August 2012, 19:34: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just having checked the forecast for this tropical storm, it seems the predictions at present are that it will miss the main part of Florida, maybe coming ashore in the panhandle. And it's touch and go whether it will turn into a hurricane at all, and if it does, it will only likely be a category 1.

I'm not sure what to conclude from that. Maybe if someone is trying to say something, they're not trying hard enough?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everybody in the US is not sufficiently provided with shelter. I do not live in the Tampa-St.Pete area, but if the sheer numbers of homeless where I live (in a fairly hostile climate in a state with comparatively low unemployment) mean anything, there are likely to be many, many US people in the path of this hurricane conducting their lives from cardboard boxes.

AIUI when hurricanes threaten, emergency shelters are set up and the homeless are brought to them, unless they refuse.

IIRC, when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida, it was not the homeless who died but people inside houses that were not as sturdily built as the emergency shelters.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Just having checked the forecast for this tropical storm, it seems the predictions at present are that it will miss the main part of Florida, maybe coming ashore in the panhandle.

From the Christain Science Monitor:
quote:
Track forecasts so far in advance carry errors of up to 225 nautical miles east or west of the currently projected track. And the storm's impact also depends on how far gale, tropical-storm, and hurricane-force winds extend from Isaac's center.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to the comment about Haiti: it's true the Republicans have the means to avoid Isaac. Haitians don't. We need to be prepared to help them.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo--

Sometimes, not very many people care about the homeless. Even if there are emergency shelters, someone has to notify the homeless folks and get them to the shelters. IIRC, in past US storms, they've fared very badly.

Here in SF, we have far more homeless than we have shelter spaces. That was the case in the '90s, before the Dot-com Crash. Some of those folks became homeless. There are probably more from the recession/depression we're in. And there are always more people becoming homeless, anyway, ISTM.

That's not even considering folks who are minimally housed in sub-standard buildings. And, in case of a storm, there will be lots of people, in all sorts of housing, who won't have anyone to check on them, reinforce the windows, etc.

And if everyone who has housing is sufficiently housed to survive, why are evacuation orders issued?

So no, I can't agree that everyone in America is well-housed enough to survive a storm. Not everyone is well-housed enough for a day of clear weather, let alone anything worse.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I never said that everyone was well-housed enough to survive a storm. I specifically said that most of the people who died in Hurricane Andrew died inside their own dwellings.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I never said that everyone was well-housed enough to survive a storm. I specifically said that most of the people who died in Hurricane Andrew died inside their own dwellings.

Moo

Hi, Moo. You're right, but Homestead was a blue-collar suburb of Miami then. (That was back in the day when the working class could still afford collars.) Few homeless there.

Actually, a policy of confining the homeless to designated shelters has been in effect for some time now in the Tampa Bay area. St. Petersburg (next door to Tampa) has required homeless men to live in a shelter called "Safe Harbor" for about a year. Vagrants not in the shelter can be jailed. See "St. Petersburg's efforts on homelessness pay off, poll finds."

Tampa, I believe, quietly rounded up its homeless about a month ago and bussed them out of town so they would not spoil the convention.

There are rumors after every big storm that large numbers of undocumented people in migrant camps have been found dead and then buried in mass graves. But this actually did happen in the Great Okeechobee Hurricane of 1928, which killed many migrant workers from the Bahamas known only by first names or nicknames. To this day no one knows how many people died in that storm.

OK, time to rush plans to protect life and property to completion. I've got about a day.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the reason why so many died in Hurricane Andrew around Homestead was because nearly all the houses were substandard--they did not even meet the zoning laws of the time. Many of the roof that collapsed did not have hurricane brackets that would have attached the rafters to the building.

Just a few years ago I had to replace the roof on my shed. It had collapsed because of heavy snow (I live in the Pacific Northwest). The carpenter that helped me insisted on using these very same hurricane brackets on the new roof. They are really very simple brackets. But they do the job came what may. Hurricanes in Florida. Snow in the Northwest.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo--

quote:

Um, upthread, before you mentioned Andrew, you said:

quote:
That's what I and others were responding to.

I'm worried about the folks in Haiti, too. But that doesn't mean that people here in the US will be safe.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the reason why so many died in Hurricane Andrew around Homestead was because nearly all the houses were substandard--they did not even meet the zoning laws of the time. Many of the roof that collapsed did not have hurricane brackets that would have attached the rafters to the building.

Just a few years ago I had to replace the roof on my shed. It had collapsed because of heavy snow (I live in the Pacific Northwest). The carpenter that helped me insisted on using these very same hurricane brackets on the new roof. They are really very simple brackets. But they do the job came what may. Hurricanes in Florida. Snow in the Northwest.

Sigh. My roof doesn't have them; the house dates back before 1922. It's a good strong stick-built house that has weathered many hurricanes,and the rafters are cedar, but I still wish I had those roof straps. Not enough to wish the hurricane would take my roof so I could get them, though.

Gramps, yes, you're right. Poor construction of buildings in Homestead definitely contributed to the damage and death toll. They tightened up the code bigtime after Andrew.

I'm worried that, because we just went through a big real estate boom in Florida, it will turn out that a lot of newer homes have shoddy construction and code violations that were winked at during the boom. Florida homeowners have already had a major problem with a substandard but cheap Chinese drywall used in new construction. The drywall turned out to emit toxic fumes; it had to be replaced, and there were big lawsuits.

As Warren Buffett likes to say: "When the tide goes out, you see who's been swimming naked."

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Isn't it ironic that the storm is named Isaac? What second name comes to mind after Isaac?... Newton, of course; the father of rational scientific thought. This is the opposite of Republican thought.

As a child of the 60s I thought of Isaac Hayes, but Isaac ben Abraham might occur to some shipmates.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I thought the name that came after Isaac was Jacob... [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

Well, the latest rain band has passed, and I discover that I need to have a block mason in to have a look at my back chimney. Drip, drip, drip. Meanwhile, the Almighty appears to have decided to punish Mobile, or possibly New Orleans, or maybe even Galveston instead. The National Hurricane Center's forecast keeps shifting further and further west. Isaac is a real puzzler. But not condign punishment for Republican climate-change deniers, I'm afraid.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone, no matter what they'd done.

A severe thunderstorm and possible tornado are heading for the area where one of the last remaining flocks of whooping cranes likes to winter. Prayers, anyone? That their habitat is still there when they return?

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:

As a child of the 60s I thought of Isaac Hayes, but Isaac ben Abraham might occur to some shipmates.
And here's me thinking, "Ishmael" or "Asimov".
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just waiting to hear the fundamentalist amen corner of the GOP crowing about how the faithful's efficacious prayers steered the hurricane away from the convention, toward those godless (and majorly non-white) libertines in NOLA again.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

It wouldn't necessarily help much. The New York Times points out that a hurricane hitting anywhere in the country during the convention will eclipse it in the news media. Reporters now in Tampa have been warned that they might be transferred on very short notice, and they should have their raincoats handy.

Furthermore, if the damage is serious enough to require federal assistance, I don't suppose anything will make their calls to cripple Uncle Sam sound more heartless and forlorn than for the public to see him coming to the rescue effectively in an emergency.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016