homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What do you think about Jesus

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What do you think about Jesus
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

- Posted      Profile for Mayflow   Email Mayflow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me? I call and think of Him as a real and true freedom fighter. MLK too and the Dalai Lama. The peaceful Spirit Warriors sublime.
Posts: 17 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any difference in scope? Was Jesus wearing glasses like Mr Lama?

In what ways is Jesus different, and in what way the same or similar to those two people you mentioned?

Some questions back to you for a more in-depth start.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You make it sound a teensy bit like Avengers Assemble. A 1st C Jewish rabbi! A Tibetan monk! A black preacher! Together they battle for Freedom!

(This is Heaven, I'm afraid, which rather runs to frivolous threads. You could have a more serious take on the similarities between the three figures you mention in Purgatory, say. But you might need to put a bit more work into unpacking what you mean by 'freedom' and how it applies to their various lives and teachings).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

- Posted      Profile for Mayflow   Email Mayflow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wearing glasses has nothing to do with the Spirit in these. In common? Love your neighbor as yourself. Treat all with respect and honesty. Stand up for the downtrodden. Allow freedom of thought and expression for all. So far on this forum, I see none of this happening - this will likely get locked as well, but you cannot lock up Freedom of Mind.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, you may need to abide by some quite simple rules, which I think have been very kindly pointed out to you on a number of other threads. This is what makes these boards work, as opposed to lightly or not at all moderated boards. Which I think is for the benefit of all, and freedom-inducing to some extent. [Smile]

Again, is there no difference at all between Jesus and your two contemporary examples? What is your view on this?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sensing a modicum of grievance here rather than a wish to engage in discussion, either serious or light-hearted.

Here's a suggestion: why not read some of the many dozens of discussions currently going on all the various boards, find a topic that interests you, read what other people have said, decide if have something interesting or relevant to say - you know, the way conversations usually go?

Firenze
Heaven Host

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too many new threads opened for no good reason make Baby Jesus cry.

[Waterworks]

Since this is a heaven thread I'll give you this as a gift from me.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

Baby Jesus wipes the dust from the sandals and leaves this hick town.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

With all respect: I don't think a baby wears sandals.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
With all respect: I don't think a baby wears sandals.

Maybe he shakes the dust from His little knitted bootees instead?
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hang on - I'd really like to have some historical accuracy here. I don't know what babies were wearing on their feetsies back there and then, as I'm neither a historian not theologian or ethnologist. But Sandals they were not. And knitted possibly neither.

I imagine some sort of cloth held together with a piece of string. (Did they have string then?)

--------------------

claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe the shapherds brought him some little furry lamby ones

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Here we have a picture of
the Madonna of the yarnwinder. What was she winding yarn for, if not to knit the BJ's bootees (and little matinee jacket)?

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hang on - I'd really like to have some historical accuracy here. I don't know what babies were wearing on their feetsies back there and then, as I'm neither a historian not theologian or ethnologist. But Sandals they were not. And knitted possibly neither.

I imagine some sort of cloth held together with a piece of string. (Did they have string then?)

Here is a link to String Theory; I carefully kept it light for Heavenly discussion.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Jesus would love us anyway. And tell the truth.

What always amazes me is that he managed to stick to his principles even when his family thought he was mad and when the crowds repeatedly tried to either stone him or make him their military leader.

Cattyish, still in awe of a good man.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Here we have a picture of
the Madonna of the yarnwinder. What was she winding yarn for, if not to knit the BJ's bootees (and little matinee jacket)?

Methinks the bairn is nekkid. Especially his feetsies. No sandals. See?

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But he'd have been a lousy military leader wearing booties though.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Well said, cattyish, well said.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
But he'd have been a lousy military leader wearing booties though.

Now THAT's where the sandals come in. Only then, and not as a mere babe. (Nor a mere cat.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

They would more likely have wrapped the baby in swaddling clothes to ensure it grew up with straight limbs. Shoes came later - there wouldn't have been much point in making them for a baby as it wouldn't be able to walk.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by claret10:
Maybe the shapherds brought him some little furry lamby ones

Something sweeeeeeeeeeeeet like these?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
I think Jesus would love us anyway. And tell the truth.

What always amazes me is that he managed to stick to his principles even when his family thought he was mad and when the crowds repeatedly tried to either stone him or make him their military leader.

Cattyish, still in awe of a good man.

The only non-stupid reply I've seen here so far. Thank you.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

This is Heaven Mayflow - "A merry chaos of creativity, comedy and random questions. A blessed state of e-being, free from weeping and gnashing of teeth, where the cup of absurdity runneth over."

Where sweet Baby Jesus wears pink bootees.

[Big Grin]

(The Internet insisted I spelt it booties - hmmm)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's back! [Yipee]

(This is Heaven and people joke around and tease a bit. If you like serious more than playful, I'd recommend going off to Purgatory and joining a conversation. Most people are not "stupid" there, although there is no guarantee that they'll give answers you'd like. Good luck.)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

So, you are a gardener, Boogie? I love organic gardening. Tough where I live though.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know Boogie gardened. Good catch, Mayflow. and a nice Heavenly post, although a bit of a tangent.

I'm not trying to send you away from this thread, but if you are interested in gardening you might like to check out this Heavenly gardening thread. I don't garden so I don't know if they have discussed the organic angle, but I bet some of the gardeners would be interested.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

“Now that we’re Buddhists,” Pooh said to him, “we’re trying to find out what Buddhists do. So we can do it.”

“They look for Awakening,” said Owl. “That’s what they do.”

“But what’s a Wakening?” asked Piglet in a casual sort of way to show that he wasn't afraid of Animals with Unfamiliar Names. “Is it a Friendly Animal, or one of the Fiercer Sorts?”

“There are three kinds,” Owl replied. “Sudden, gradual, and rude.”

“Oh,” said Piglet, suddenly remembering that Christopher Robin had talked about this yesterday. “I only remembered the first two.”

“The third is the most commonly spotted,” said Owl.

Poor Poo didn't realize that Heaven is absurd.
Now Poo knows. Beware the terrors of Poo, you!:-)

Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I didn't know Boogie gardened. Good catch, Mayflow. and a nice Heavenly post, although a bit of a tangent.

I'm not trying to send you away from this thread, but if you are interested in gardening you might like to check out this Heavenly gardening thread. I don't garden so I don't know if they have discussed the organic angle, but I bet some of the gardeners would be interested.

What is a nice girl like you doing in a p-lace like this?
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

quote:

I'm not trying to send you away from this thread, but if you are interested in gardening you might like to check out this Heavenly gardening thread. I don't garden so I don't know if they have discussed the organic angle, but I bet some of the gardeners would be interested

What is a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mayflow, each board has a different character. It can take a little while to get used to what is, and is not, expected on each board. You may like to read this to help you figure out what kind of topics, and what kind of posting style, belong where in this forum.

As has been said, if you want serious discussion, the Purgatory board is the place for that.

Meanwhile, perhaps we could all not wander too far off the original topic on the OP?

Cheers,
Ariel
Heaven Host

[ 03. November 2012, 20:49: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I love The Tao of Pooh and The Teh of Piglet and would really enjoy a discussion. But I'm thinkin' that you're are using a tangent about those lovely books to draw the attention of our Heaven hosts and to make them show their true colors as the internet fascists they must be.

They aren't. This is just a different sort of place, and its rules work fine for its purposes.

Oh, well. It is probably good practice for the hosts and the new admins.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Heaven....

Where sweet Baby Jesus wears pink bootees.

[Big Grin]

(The Internet insisted I spelt it booties - hmmm)

Silly Boogie, Baby Jesus wears blue bootees.

Colour coordination with his mother. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Mayflow:
quote:

I'm not trying to send you away from this thread, but if you are interested in gardening you might like to check out this Heavenly gardening thread. I don't garden so I don't know if they have discussed the organic angle, but I bet some of the gardeners would be interested

Thanks. [Hot and Hormonal]

Obviously, I'm chained in the dungeon. Just look at my post count. [Paranoid] [Biased]

Give this a place a chance and it will grow on you- like moss.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Atchoo! 'scuse me)

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Meanwhile, perhaps we could all not wander too far off the original topic on the OP?

Cheers,
Ariel
Heaven Host

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Mayflow, each board has a different character. It can take a little while to get used to what is, and is not, expected on each board. You may like to read this to help you figure out what kind of topics, and what kind of posting style, belong where in this forum.

As has been said, if you want serious discussion, the Purgatory board is the place for that.

Cheers,
Ariel
Heaven Host

What? The OP was mine.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, but as written it seems to be about Jesus rather than pooh [Confused]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
What? The OP was mine.

Yes. I'm suggesting people might like to stick to discussing it.

And to give you an idea of how the boards work, you might like to read the guidelines that I linked to, because each board on this forum works differently. The guidelines should give a clearer idea of what sort of topics are suited to which boards.

Cheers,
Ariel
Heaven Host

Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. [Hot and Hormonal]

Obviously, I'm chained in the dungeon. Just look at my post count. [Paranoid] [Biased]

Give this a place a chance and it will grow on you- like moss.

Maybe. I will learn how it works if given time and if they don't keep locking my topics.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[ADMIN]

quote:
Maybe. I will learn how it works if given time and if they don't keep locking my topics.

Perhaps if you show some interest in the topic you yourself set, people will follow suit. Most of your conversation revolves around the "stupidity" of this board.

In any case when you joined this message board, you clicked a little box that signaled your agreement to read the house rules-- those being the "10 Commandments" and the Frequently Asked Questions.

More than one Host has helpfully provided links to these areas for you. That was a kindness.

I will add one more courtesy -- here is a link to the Styx . Please read this next carefully-- if you have any problem with what the Hosts are saying, or if you want to discuss any flaws in the general running of the boards, The Styx is the place where you are permitted to discuss it.

The rest of you know that already, right?

Kelly Alves
Admin

[ 03. November 2012, 21:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mayflow
Apprentice
# 17408

Goodbye, forum. :-)
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Didn't we have that before? - At least there's a smile now. Which in this software is : ) without spaces. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

And on that note...

Thread closed.

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016