homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Companions of Anglican Religious Orders

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Companions of Anglican Religious Orders
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't about worship or liturgy of religious communities in the C of E but more about them as supportive praying communities, and associating with them as sources and places of prayer.

For some time I have wondered about associating with a religious community. I am Church of England and my thought has been a connection with an Anglican community.

I have heard of third orders, and oblates, and companions, and fellowships of different communities and take it these are different levels of commitment.

I don't know which are just being 'friends' like one can be a 'friend of a Cathedral' and get a newsletter, and which are more spiritually connected to a community, and help one spiritually. It's more the latter I am thinking about, to tell the truth.

So I wonder if people who know more can share experience or give advice, please.

[ 08. November 2012, 21:31: Message edited by: Percy B ]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
deusluxmea
Apprentice
# 15765

- Posted      Profile for deusluxmea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an associate of an episcopalian benedictine order. The level of involvement seems to be up to the person. There are seasonal retreats for associates, an annual report to one of the monks, access to spiritual direction. We also receive the cross of the order. I guess a less motivated person could join and just get the newsletter. There's quite a bit of freedom, although most of the associates I know like a strong connection to the monastery.

I know other Catholic benedictine orders have compulsory monthly meetings and a structured formation program. I did attend one meeting of a local oblate group, but they seemed a bit fruity, even for me!

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After behind the scenes discussion, we've decided this thread will do very well in All Saints!

Hold on to your halos, keep your harps safely in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might want to furtle around and find the Franciscan and Benedictine threads which are knocking around somewhere. There are definitely shipmates involved with both orders in third order/oblate capacity.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I don't know the difference between oblates and companions, but some Anglican orders don't self identify as Franciscan or Benedictine, either.

But I think some of those orders do have companions.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might help as a starting point.

Section 1 lists the traditional Anglican Religious Communities, and has links to contact them. This might be useful if you're wanting to link up with somewhere more local to you.

Section 3 lists some other kinds of communities, including some of the Third Order type of communities.

[ 09. November 2012, 10:11: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an elderly relative, now promoted to glory, who was/is a Franciscan tertiary. It meant an enormous amount to her, and became fundamental to her spirituality. As she only become one late in life, she was required not to follow the full rigour of some of the discipline. It also provided her with a network of fellow Franciscans.

However, to be a Franciscan tertiary, you need to be Franciscan shaped. It won't work if you choose them because you are looking for a religious community to link up with, and they are the ones most people have heard of.

Somebody else I knew had been linked with another community. It was before I knew them, and I don't know which one. It hadn't really worked because the rule didn't fit, or they didn't manage to make it fit, with their commitments as a spouse and parent.

By the time my relative was a Franciscan tertiary, she was a widow.

So I'd say,

1. Pray seriously to God, 'is association with a community for me, and if so, please lead me to the right one?'

2. If your wife isn't keen on the idea, that's probably a clear indication it isn't for you.

3. Otherwise, start looking, but don't join one until it really clicks within your spirit.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I ought to add. You could try meanwhile following a simple rule.

The lectionary and CW Daily Prayer are easily accessible either using the books or on the web.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi PercyB,

You ask the difference between third orders, oblates and companions. Speaking from my own experience, which is mainly in a Franciscan context within the Church of England but with some contact with Benedictines:

Third Order - members are often known as Tertiaries. Follow a rule of life based on the principles of the order and their own situation (job, marital status, age, health etc.). In the case of the Franciscan third order, are a dispersed community, meet together in local groups usually monthly and in area groups, usually a few times per year. The anglican Franciscan Third order website is here.

Oblates - usually Benedictine. Follow a rule of life in a similar way to Tertiaries, but are associated with a particular Benedictine house. As far as I know, they are more likely to meet together at the Benedictine house one or more times per year than have local groups, but I could be wrong as I know much less about Benedictines than Franciscans. Here is a link to a Roman Catholic Benedictine house which I know has oblates from several denominations including Anglican and URC.

Companions - literally, those who break bread with members of religious orders. In the Franciscan tradition, the Companions have a particular connection with the First or Second Order Franciscans (conventional 'habited' sisters and brothers) (or sometimes with the Third Order). They pray for the Franciscan orders, and have an interest in the Franciscan life but are not required to live by a rule of life although some do. Some groups of companions meet occasionally (a few times per year), and some are invited to Third Order meetings for Franciscan feasts.

As you can see, the above is somewhat Franciscan biased, as I am a Franciscan Tertiary. However, there are many Anglican Religious orders and religious orders in other denominations too, some of which may accept third order/oblates from outside their tradition. There are also some ecumenical orders such as the Community of Aidan and Hilda. Here is a website with details of Anglican religious orders.

Enjoy your journey and exploring different avenues. If you have any questions you are welcome to send me a message or post to the thread and I will attempt to answer.

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an oblate of Alton Abbey. (There is also a "Friends" organisation as well.) Oblates of Alton Abbey. Benedictinism is characterised by the independence of each House, in contract to the Order structure of Franciscans, Dominicans, Jesuits et al, and the affiliation patterns reflect this.

IME, different people inhabit their oblature(?) in different ways. AFAIC, I aim to say the morning office in church Mon-Sat, visit the Abbey once or twice a month, and make an annual retreat with them. I try to live in the spirit of the Rule "insofar as [my] circumstances permit" and hope to do my thesis on the relevance of Benedict's Abbot and Cellarer to modern organisational leadership. Sounds like I need to setup an interview with +(+)Justin. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Oblivion:

Benedictine spirituality for lay people

Lay 'monastic' and neo-monastic 'orders'

My Google skills have failed to locate the former Benedictine support thread. [Waterworks]

[link corrected]

[ 11. November 2012, 00:19: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

<thanks, WW, thought I'd checked them>

And there's an informative paper on different forms of relationship between Oblates and community here.

--------------------

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoheleth, thank you for the information about Benedictine oblates and previous threads on similar subjects. It is good to learn more about the wide and complimentary variety of vocations outside my own experience. Blessings on your continued journey.

Aelred

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

As I understand it some Church of England orders are their own order. What I mean not Franciscan or not Benedictine.

For example the Order of the Holy Parcete in Whitby.

It's difficult to know what such orders particular charism is. Although I guess faithfulness to the C of E and prayer rank high!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the best way forward is to get to know a particular community first, and if you feel attracted to its ethos then explore the possibilities of some sort of association. This is easier said than done, of course, if you live a long way from the nearest monastery/friary/convent. But most of them have websites these days.

I am a Companion of the Community of the Resurrection, one of the oldest men's religious orders in the C of E. Its ethos has evolved towards being more monastic in the Benedictine tradition, though they do not claim to be actual Benedictines. They do have a number of oblates, but (unlike oblates of Benedictine communities) they are all celibate males. Companions, who can be male or female, married or single, keep a simpler rule but one which AFAIK is comparable to that of a Benedictine Oblate or a Franciscan Third Order.

On the thread about +Justin Welby, who is an Oblate of Salisbury Priory, it was stated that although there are now very few professed monks they have about 300 oblates. This seems to be what is happening more and more: there is an increase in the number of people seeking a structured way of life in the monastic tradition, and fewer and fewer being prepared to commit to full vows. This could be a new mutation of the Religious life or it could be a dead end!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I don't know much about the particular charisma of the Anglican Religious orders, and it doesn't seem that easy to me to find out.

I have stayed at the Order of the Holy Paraclete at Whitby, and enjoyed their worship, I have also worshipped with the Community of the Holy Name of Jesus, at Malvern.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The classic book on this was Peter Anson's Call of the Cloister , published in the 1950s. It is obviously very dated; it predates the renewal (and associated disruption and falling off of vocations) consequent on the 2nd Vatican Council; it doesn't of course include more recent orders of which there are a few; but it is a very comprehensive portrait and history of all the then-existing communities. Written by a sympathetic outsider (Roman Catholic). Well worth reading; I'm sure there are many second-hand copies available online.

There is also the late Donald Allchin's book The Silent Rebellion ; and a more recent collection of essays edited by Fr Nicolas Stebbing CR. But for current factual information you need this website.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016