homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy 40th Birthday!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy 40th Birthday!
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's our Priest-in-Charge's 40th Birthday very shortly. He's actually going to do the honourable thing and ask for monetary gifts for the work of the church instead of presents for himself. What a noble sentiment. (Although he's probably hoping for a dram or two of whisky for himself as well.)
For a bit of fun, what do you think we could all buy him instead? If you come across any good ideas, please post them here.

For starters, I wondered about this, for when he gets overworked and could do with a little help....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that really adoraWHOA! Where'd they put the blow-up tube???

[ 07. January 2013, 19:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Explains the expression on his face...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite a bargain -- much less expensive than the Fart Alert a little further down the page. You can get THREE Inflatable Priests for the price of one of those.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, some priests ARE full of hot air...

Seriously, he is 40, that means he's a Gen Xer like me. We Xers looove 80's music, so about an 80's music compilation to send him down memory lane?

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Wow, that really adoraWHOA! Where'd they put the blow-up tube???

AmazonUS seems to have had a similar qualm. Product details:
quote:
Inflatable Priest

Blow up the priest and confess anywhere.

Instant moral guidance, forgiveness and Hail Mary's

Ideal For Car or Office.

Never Tires - That's A Lot Of Righteous Blessings For Poor Sinners!

Careful how you blow him.

[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:

Seriously, he is 40, that means he's a Gen Xer like me. We Xers looove 80's music, so about an 80's music compilation to send him down memory lane?

Top 40, perhaps?
Or maybe even a 40-part motet (I got 'Spem in Alium' - Tallis - for my 40th).

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:

Top 40, perhaps?

So the 1580s, then?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
... an 80's music compilation to send him down memory lane ...

Top 40, perhaps?

So the 1580s, then?
[Killing me]

Now that's what I call a classy 40th present. I vaguely remember an organist colleague of David's telling us that someone* put on a performance of Spem in alium for his 40th.

David and I celebrated our respective 40th birthdays with weekends in Iceland - best holidays we ever had. The fact that we both have winter birthdays lent a wonderful frisson to swimming in the Blue Lagoon ... [Smile]

* presumably with 39 friends. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, you don't have to look any further for your priest-in-charge than the Ship's Gadgets for God section.

As the gift is for the church, I am sure he would appreciate an eco-friendly solar powered notice board . If he likes a dram, then the hip-flask bible would be just the thing. Lots of good ideas and supporting the Ship too!

Somehow, I don't think Chorister would appreciate the digital hymnal [Razz]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Spoiler alert - if our p-in-c is reading this thread, look away now.

One of the choir members is thinking of getting him an inflatable zimmer frame.

(And don't give him ideas with the hip flask bible!)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so awesome I can't even.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016