homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » NFL 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: NFL 2012
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rex Ryan pre-Tebow

Rex Ryan now

And some suggest Peyton was more off than on in the first pre-season game... I h*** Elway didn't make a tragic mistake. [Votive]

[ 13. February 2013, 04:36: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He made several first downs and converted on third and long before throwing a pick thanks to a very athletic tip from one of the Bears safeties. Not the ending we wanted to that drive. But it was nice to remember what it feels like to get a first down before the fourth quarter of a game.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 205:
Rex Ryan pre-Tebow

Rex Ryan now

You almost had me believing that Tebow had changed old Rex. Almost. (Don't read the comments section if you don't like strong language.)

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I guess we could make this the NFL 2012 thread proper.

To no one's surprise, I'm tipping the Giants again. Maybe from 4-7 this season (rather than an "easy" 7-7), just to make it interesting for the also-rans.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Well, I guess we could make this the NFL 2012 thread proper.

If it gets traction OK but if it just fades away that is also a desirable outcome.

And who would bet against the Giants at this point, except that they're the biggest target?

About the only things I'm willing to predict are that the Broncos will go 10 and 6 regular season then lose in the second playoff game and that my favorite player will have a very good year.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

That seems to be the expert opinion of the Broncos as well. On the radio this morning, they were glumly admitting that if the Ravens' linebackers couldn't stop the Patriots' attack, this Broncos team is in even deeper trouble.

A friend from High School who then graduated from Stanford was all over Facebook yesterday to brag about Andrew Luck throwing a TD pass on his first throw. He didn't mention that it was a five yard screen that the receiver then ran for 60 yards, but impressive nonetheless.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife and I will be cutting a celebratory meal short at a French restaurant here in Ambridge in order to watch my Raiders pulverize the Cardinals on TV. God willing, we shall have a good result this year. One of my Facebook friends played American football with me in school and went on to play for the Raiders in the Super Bowl ca. 1976. His name is Charles Phillips and you can look him up!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come on, Sir Kevin, everybody knows that God is a Cheesehead. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love this stage of the season, when every team is still in "it could be us!" mode.

The Giants will be strong, but we were strong the season after our last Superbowl win and still went out in the first game of the Playoffs. Anything can happen.

Teams I'd like to see do well: Giants (obviously), Texans, Browns, Chiefs.

Teams I'd like to see do badly: Jets (obviously), Cowboys (obviously), Patriots, Steelers.

Potential Dark Horse Tip (you read it here first!): Redskins.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure anyone here in DC believes your last prediction will come true...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I love this stage of the season, when every team is still in "it could be us!" mode.

Apparently you don't hang out with too many Browns fans.

The Panthers look like a good potential dark horse to me. Cam Newton was good last year, and has a whole year of off season workouts under his belt. They get the AFC West, NFC East, and the Seahawks and the Bears out of the division, which isn't the most daunting schedule. And the Saints are likely to struggle this season.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am hoping the 49ers will pick up where they left off - not losing of course! It would be good to see them as a regular serious competitor again.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Apparently you don't hang out with too many Browns fans.

Not many over here, it's true.

Though I was in the lunch queue behind a bloke wearing a Michael Vick Falcons shirt today. And I didn't insult him or anything. True story!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to share this story. I almost thought "Typical Cowboy fan". [Killing me] Only in America.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Teams I'd like to see do badly: Jets (obviously), Cowboys (obviously), Patriots, Steelers.

Washington was able to move the ball very well the little bit I was able to watch them.

Allow me to offer my sympathy in advance for your imminent disappointment (how can it be otherwise with God on their side?) RE the Jets; it's the same sentiment I have for all the Romney opponents as it's going to be a very difficult year for them, too. [Votive]

And has Randy Moss done anything impressive since his return? SF has good potential.

[ 18. August 2012, 10:50: Message edited by: moron ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

After yesterday, I am feeling pretty confident about the Broncos starters. Hanging 17 points on the 49ers in one quarter is pretty exciting. The depth chart has me very worried though. Once the starters leave the game, it is a different team. In a 16 game season, someone is going to get hurt, so they better hope they can pick up some talent on the waver wire over the next two weeks.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am hoping the 49ers will pick up where they left off - not losing of course! It would be good to see them as a regular serious competitor again.

Yes, minus the muffed kicks would be awesome!

One of the Sports Guys on a drive-time show I listen to has tipped the Seahawks as his "sleeper team" to watch, which would make the division interesting. The Angry Birds (Northwest Division) definitely caught everyone napping a couple of years ago.

AFC West: unless a series of weird things happens, I don't think the Raiders will be division contenders. I'll be interested to see how Manning does with the Broncs.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

It all starts tomorrow, with the Cowboys and the Giants. Some will tell you that you should bet your house on the Giants, because Tony Romo and the Cowboys tend to blow their games on national primetime (7 straight sunday night football losses). On the other hand, it would classic Romo and the Cowboys to start of the season with a big win and then crap it all away in November and December, just like it would be classic Eli Manning and the Giants to get the "Fire Tom Coughlin" calls going early with a loss, only to turn it around late in the season. Given all of that uncertainty, Giants by four sounds like a fair line.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

So much for that call...

ESPN has reported that Art Modell died this morning. The report touted his involvement in early TV deals, but I think that he forever destroyed his image by moving the Browns to Baltimore. (If I were in charge, the Colts would go back to Baltimore, the current Ravens would go back to Cleveland and take back their uniforms, and the lame excuse for a football team known as the revived Browns would be off to Indianapolis. But that will, unfortunately, never happen.)

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Always good to see the Giants lose says this Patriots fan. I sure hope we don't have to put up with scab officials for much longer.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been listening to Indianapolis v Chicago on the radio but it's been a bit one sided. Good job Andrew Luck is a big man for a quarterback as it seems he is going to be tackled quite often.

Sunday night football is on free to air tv here ( in the middle of the night ) so I am going to try to record it regularly and watch during the week.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I'll be interested to see how Manning does with the Broncs.

Unsurprisingly somehow, quite well... but that may be the problem: none of it seems new.

One of the TV shows this morning spent more time on the Jets and their 48 points which allows me to segue into the 'Tebow Effect'.

Here's this marginally competent but indisputably improving passer who somehow, wherever he goes, manages to win more than he loses. Inspiration? Dedication? Confusion uncertainty be damned I'm going to PLAY! ?

What is it about this guy?

And Randy Moss remains a threat although as much as I hate to say it we may have already seen his best days.

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was surprised to see the New England defense play well. Maybe it can hold up over the season.

The scab officials gave one team a 4th time out in the last minute. Fortunately, it didn't effect the outcome.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

Told ya. That was one impressive win.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

The Redskins have a long history of inept personnel decisions. That was one game, but it looks like banking the draft on RG3 might have been a good call. I wish him well. Anyone who can win games playing QB for Baylor has to be pretty good.

Re: the replacement officials, I think Peyton Manning might be a little too smart for them. There was a play in last night's game where he saw a 12th Pittsburgh player sprinting off the field, and managed to get a play off before he was across the sideline. No call for 12 men on the field. It might prove hard to exploit technical violations of the rules with these guys out there.

And it says a lot about Troy Polamalu that Manning seemed to be calling plays with the specific intention of keeping him away from the action all night. He probably saved a touchdown by threatening to rush until Manning was forced into a delay of game penalty towards the end of the game, giving his QB a chance to win in the last three minutes. You can't help but like a player like that.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marvin, you might have something there.

Griffin looked really, really good. Looks like the Skins have the player infrastructure to support him, unlike Luck in Indy. I think it's going to be a long season for Andrew Luck.

Around here the Niners fans are pretty happy (beating the Pack at Lambeau for game one was a huge mental boost) and the Raiders fans are either glum or youtubing "auditions" for long snapper. I guess you don't know how much you rely on some special teams stuff until it fails rather spectacularly.

I'd like to see a Harbaugh Bowl again (and have us win it this time). It is definitely a possibility for the Super Bowl.

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

"Ah buhlieve in Eli
Ah buhlieve he can touch the sky"

(That's my Deion Sanders bit for the year, promise).

But seriously, folks, Eli Manning did something pretty special last night.

On the other hand ...

The Redskins (and the excellent RG111) were deprived of at least OT by the stupidist play of the week.

And the 49ers are off to a very good start.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
But seriously, folks, Eli Manning did something pretty special last night.

600+ yards of offense. 500+ passing yards. Overcoming a 14-point deficit in the 4th quarter to win.

What. A. Game.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

The NE game was painful to watch especially when they had a chance to win in the dying seconds. Thankfully my Alouettes won in the CFL.
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello NFC West, especially the 9ers. [Yipee] [Yipee]

The schadenfreude of the Raiders continues. I don't understand how that team can continue to poor decisions year after year. They should have kept Hue Jackson.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted:
And some suggest Peyton was more off than on in the first pre-season game... I hope Elway didn't make a tragic mistake. [Votive]

Manning was trying too hard last night - major ouchie.

And the replacement officials debate is ramping up - I'm thinking after Scott Walker's victory it doesn't bode well for the union.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

Re: the replacement officials, I think

.... the Ravens' crowd were calling "bullshit" last night. At least that's what it sounded like.

In the UK, Channel 4's Mike Carlson said that watching the officiating at Ravens-Patriots was "like watching a horror movie". Michaels/Collinsworth were saying pretty much the same. And both coaches (including the normally unreactive Belichik) got incandescent at times.

My view. The officiating team were both over-officious and inconsistent. The replacement officials are under increasing scrutiny anyway, distrust is a developing issue. And Ravens/Patriots is an intense rivalry. All these things worked together to spoil what could have been one of the games of the season.

Apparently, the negotiations with the regular officiating teams' reps are still deadlocked. Shame. That's bad news for the game.

So far as last night's game is concerned, I think I'm with Carlson. A "horror movie" dimension has, temporarily, come into the game, to its detriment. The NFL needs to sort this. I suspect it will give Belichik an exemplary fine for losing his cool and send out another, more authoritarian, "cool it" letter. Don't think that's going to work. From what I've seen so far, a number of these replacement officiating teams are just not "fit for purpose" - and that can't be cured easily, if at all.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

The Birds fans were indeed chanting "Bullshit". Good on them!

The NFL can fine the players and staff, but the fans can still speak. After these last two games I hope the power brokers start applying some significant pressure.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
.... the Ravens' crowd were calling "bullshit" last night. At least that's what it sounded like.

NFL fans are so polite!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:

NFL fans are so polite!
Relatively speaking they are. The only other time I can recall that level amount of chanting by the entire stadium was the first time Art Model's Ravens played the reconstituted Browns in Cleveland. In that case they instructed Model and team to do something anatomically impossible.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the replacement officials do it again! This time, literally deciding the result of the game with a blown call.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Prester John, I was being serious! "Bullshit" is what soccer fans would shout at the ref when they're being friendly. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I wasn't being sarcastic. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The officals' initial call in Seahawks/Packers was a complete joke. I suppose the failure to over-rule may be understandable, though the video replays looked to me to be pretty clearly in favour of defensive possession (rather than simultaneous or offensive possession). Tough on the Packers.

After this mad weekend, the NFL will now find a way of settling. I predict that Hochuli will then "do a Hochuli" on the first week back. And we'll all be happy again. (Unless our team is on the receiving end).

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raiders did win this weekend, but I missed it. Back ca. '76, they won the Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl and were a superior team as they we coached by John Madden. One of my high school football buddies, Charles Phillips, played on the team then.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

Speaking of Madden, this morning he mentioned the noticeable absence of the owners in this negotiation as compared to the negotiation with the players earlier this year. He thought it was time for them to step up and apply the necessary pressure to get this resolved ASAP.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

After this mad weekend, the NFL will now find a way of settling.

And they have, hallelujah!
quote:

I predict that Hochuli will then "do a Hochuli" on the first week back. And we'll all be happy again. (Unless our team is on the receiving end).

Apparently Hochuli has been "trending" on Twitter, somewhat to his surprise. "All for saying nothing". He's pondering the power of silence. But don't change, Ed. Your full explanations are always good value, even when you're wrong. Have a good week.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I'll be at the Broncos-Raiders game on Sunday. As I have mentioned here before, my in-laws' seats are right behind of a block of seats reserved for player's friends and families, usually first or second year players whose friends and family are just psyched that their buddy made it to the NFL. It was Eric Decker's family last year, and Peyton Hillis' college friends two years earlier. I have yet to see a Bronco win at the new stadium, so here's hoping I am not cursed. Sir Kevin, if the Raiders win this one, you can send me a beer in the mail as a thank-you.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Well, the Raiders looked ok through the first half.

In better Bay Area Sportsball news, the Niners appear to have completely recovered from the shock of last weekend. On our sports radio station, NFL great Lorenzo Neal said "the Jets can beat the Niners if they play Tebow, because Tebow can do what Ponder did last week". Looks like the Jets management doesn't listen to "95.7 The Game".

Catching the Sunday night game. That has been a "pitcher's duel" so far. I will admit that I root for anyone opposing M. Vick.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice win for the Bears over Dallas!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

On our sports radio station, NFL great Lorenzo Neal said "the Jets can beat the Niners if they play Tebow, because Tebow can do what Ponder did last week". Looks like the Jets management doesn't listen to "95.7 The Game".

The Jets look awful. Tebow turning them around looks about as likely as the Day 3 Ryder Cup turnaround by Europe. (Mind you, I did enjoy that!)

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
quote:

On our sports radio station, NFL great Lorenzo Neal said "the Jets can beat the Niners if they play Tebow, because Tebow can do what Ponder did last week". Looks like the Jets management doesn't listen to "95.7 The Game".

The Jets look awful. Tebow turning them around looks about as likely as the Day 3 Ryder Cup turnaround by Europe. (Mind you, I did enjoy that!)
Don't tempt fate- strange things happen around Tim Tebow. Rex is going to have a harder time benching Sanchez than Fox did with Orton, though, because he was a Jets first round draft pick- you usually stand by those guys, lest you look like a bad judge of talent.

The game on Sunday was a blast, except for the fact that the player whose family was sitting in front of us broke his ankle in the first half. Usually you get to see the families having fun and yucking it up with the people around them. That was quite different and a little scary.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
quote:

They really couldn't do worse, in my opinion. Another key injury and the next team up is the formidable Texans. If some miracle doesn't happen, it's going to be another drubbing. On national TV.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Looking forward to Patriots/Broncos. That will tell us a thing or two.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Looking forward to Patriots/Broncos. That will tell us a thing or two.

Here with 8:22 left during the fourth quarter some of us are hoping for a Tebowish comeback. [Help]
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any suggestions for the Titans? We're having a dismal season, to say the least.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016