homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Walking tours in Ireland

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Walking tours in Ireland
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're considering a walking tour in Ireland in about 13 or 14 months (May or June 2014). We've done a few others, generally up to about 20 km/day gains in elevation of anywhere from 400 to 1500 m, luggage hauled to next stop on the walk. When younger we backpacked and we remain very physically active, so are in good physical shape.

As our research begins, we're wondering about areas/places and companies. The natural environment, people but not crowds, and history being the things we like, with a good mix. Not interested in 'night life' much nor seeing too many tourist busses. We've hiked long sections of that most Irish of Canadian provinces Newfoundland, so we thought seeing Rachel's sister Leah so to speak, might be a worthy thing. Are the two as handsome and pretty as each other in this case? Any advice, testimonials and direction would be welcomed.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The middle and the south east are not so interesting, but pretty well all the coast, the west and south-west are hooching with scenery, good pubs etc. I would start with the Glens of Antrim nd work your way round to Lough Foyle, over to Donegal. Galway, Sligo, Clare, Connemara, the Ring of Kerry, Bantry Bay - all good.

What do you like? Sea cliffs? Long white beaches? Lakeland dotted with islands and the odd Historic Big House? High moorland and Neolithic land use patterns? Dolmen and limestone pavements? Rolling chequerboard of small fields and winding roads? I can think of examples of all these and more in what is quite a small geographical area.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit to having spent almost all my time in either Dublin or Wicklow, but Firenze's advice is sound, these are the best bits. I second the recommendation of Clare and Kerry, and the Burren is worth a look.

Be prepared for rain though. I haven't been to the west coast but it's first to get all the weather that's just crossed the Atlantic. They don't call the green fields of Ireland lush and emerald for nothing.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am no expert on walking in Ireland but the body that encourages it in the UK is the Long Distance Walking Association and they give some information on Ireland. There is also some way marked trails and there are the E Routes that cross Europe although only one goes through Ireland.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that. Thinking that all types of scenery are good. Being roughly in the centre of Canada with 2500 km to nearest coast, ocean is a must. Rain and foul weather is no problem. We've been in rain turning to snow in July. This is a 35th anniv trip we're planning. The warmth is between us for sure.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giant's Causeway* in Northern Ireland is wonderful, a couple of miles from Bushmills .

The Bushmills Inn is fine and has wonderful peat fires to doze before. And there is the bonus of the Bushmills Distillery , of course.

M.

*Sorry, I can't get the link from wikipedia to work.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
North and west coast it is then. Shorelines from whence the next parish is New York. Another area I'd commend to your attention is The Dingle . Tralee's a bit of a dump, though - I'd bypass that.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If doing Northern Ireland as opposed to the Republic then you might look at the Ulster Way. I suspect it links with some of the walks south or the border but I am not sure where you will find such info on those.

Jengie

p.s. Bushmills and Giants Causeway are pretty close together, well in the vicinity of Corrymeela.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're traveling on the north coast, be sure to see Dunluce Castle.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We lived in Belfast for 15 years and though not keen walkers, we travelled the length and breadth of the country over that time. In fact, during Easter week 20 years ago D. gave an organ recital in all 32 cathedrals of the Church of Ireland, which involved visiting pretty well every county.

Even if you don't like crowds, it would be a shame not to experience Dublin, if only for a day or two (and, like Belfast, it has some wonderful eateries ... [Big Grin] ). The Wicklow mountains are beautiful, with loads of history; West Cork on a sunny evening is hard to beat (while you're in Cork, kissing the Blarney Stone is quite fun); and I'd add my vote for the Bushmills Distillery as well.

If you do find yourselves sort of in the middle, the Newgrange Passage Tomb, a Megalithic chambered cairn in Co. Meath, is worth a look.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of County Cork is lovely but prone to lots of rain(and public transport in west cork is pretty terrible). Beware of mad drivers on tiny country roads. How long are you coming over for?

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The tentative plan for the trip would be spending some time getting un-jet-lagged (it can be 15 - 20 hours of travel unless we can really good connections. We'd likely have a 3-4 day time somewhere in a city, then a 7 or 10 day walk, then go to a couple of somewhere elses for another 10 days or 2 weeks, then home. My wife thinks we should spend a few days in London, which may work with some of the usual connections from Canada, though I find it a little overwhelming there. But maybe our months - May-June - will mean less touristical then.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
...But maybe our months - May-June - will mean less touristical then.

Marginally as UK and probably Irish schools will be open but London is ALWAYS busy!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Why not Dublin or Belfast? Or, if you need to start in another country, could you fly to Glasgow? Then you could take the train to Stranraer an hour or so on the ferry, and you're in Ireland.

If it's somewhere you've not been, an approach by sea - watching the headlands rise up, seeing the shoreline of Belfast Lough - is a damn sight more interesting than just arriving into just another airport.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Why not Dublin or Belfast? Or, if you need to start in another country, could you fly to Glasgow? Then you could take the train to Stranraer an hour or so on the ferry, and you're in Ireland.

If it's somewhere you've not been, an approach by sea - watching the headlands rise up, seeing the shoreline of Belfast Lough - is a damn sight more interesting than just arriving into just another airport.

That is a really superb idea - it is a lovely trip over, I've done it several times.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:

The problem with that idea for the onward journey is that we'll be exhausted by then. Travel is not straightforward for us. The last time we went, it was home to Calgary, to Heathrow, to Amsterdam and we stayed there for a few days before onward to Germany, Poland etc. We've also had to go to Toronto, then Frankfurt and back track to the west of Europe. We'll certainly have to fly on 3 planes, but usually 4. Our worst ever was going to Portugal which took 24½ hours from the first plane taking off.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

We've been able to fly direct from both Edinburgh and Glasgow to eastern Canada. Where are you starting from?

I wasn't suggesting you fall straight off the transatlantic leg on to the Irish ferry - if you need urban recovery time, Glasgow is a major and interesting city.

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Irish Trails is a good place to start for trails in the Republic.

Don't expect the comprehensive network of Public Footpaths in Ireland, it doesn't exist here but the waymarked ways are extremely good and can be walked with confidence.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
We've been able to fly direct from both Edinburgh and Glasgow to eastern Canada. Where are you starting from?

I wasn't suggesting you fall straight off the transatlantic leg on to the Irish ferry - if you need urban recovery time, Glasgow is a major and interesting city.

The west. We either fly out of Calgary to Europe, or Calgary to Toronto, then Europe, sometimes down to Minneapolis then Europe. It all depends on what flights are on, on what days. Travel to Calgary is a couple of hours, or a full 8 if we drive. That depends on how much it costs, internal flights in Canada are very expensive, and often more than the onward piece. By far. The journey from home to Toronto can be the same length as the one to Europe. Depending on connections.

We'll check out Scotland for connections. Good tips.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

We travelled with this lot at least once,and it was fine.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
We travelled with this lot at least once,and it was fine.

Cool! Is it sardines in a tin can, or "normal" seat spacing?

Edit: they use Air Transat, which we are generally avoiding due to close crowdedness of seats. DVT (deep vein thrombosis) risks to wife whose had one already (blood clot in the leg).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It was a few years ago now, but I can't recall it being any different to other trans-Atlantic flights, and certainly not like a cattle-truck charter we we took once to the Canaries.

I presume that now they will have advance online check-in? My wheeze for that is to select an aisle seat on the same row as my husband has the window - in the hopes that in any less than a capacity flight, no one will elect to take the middle one. And if it is a full flight, I still have the aisle, and can stand/walk from time to time.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

If you take up Firenze's suggestion then may I put a word in for Wigtownshire, the area around Stranraer. Stranraer itself is quite run down and more so since the ferry moved north to Cairnryan. However many of the villages are delightful and there is quite a lot of walking around the area. You could try Castle Kennedy, as a place to stay overnight.

If staying longer then I can recommend:

For all this it is relatively low tourist level and lot of open spaces, empty beaches and beautiful gardens.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Stranraer being run down: its namesake in Saskatchewan is also run down. This is a tangent, but I've heard many Scottish placenames that are also in that province. Link here

Taking the advice, and researching away.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
If doing Northern Ireland as opposed to the Republic then you might look at the Ulster Way. I suspect it links with some of the walks south or the border but I am not sure where you will find such info on those.

Jengie

p.s. Bushmills and Giants Causeway are pretty close together, well in the vicinity of Corrymeela.

Dear Jengiejon,

Have you walked the Ulster Way and if so how did you get on? If you have any particular advice I would be interested to hear it.

I considered it at one point, or at least the portions in the Antrim coast and glens, lecale and the mournes and even went so far as getting the book by Alan Warner, partly because NI seemed to be very scenic, whilst being relatively unspoilt - not as touristy as comparably scenic parts of England, and every account I've readˀ emphasises how friendly NI rural people are. In fact, you can apparently walk long stretches of the UW without seeing anyone, in the glens, or so I've heard.

However it seems that most of the Youthostels on the route have since closed, and the towns on the route are relatively spaced out, so one would probably have to take a tent to do this properly. Also, NI OS maps are somewhat out of date, and apart from the mournes and sperrins which have 1;25000 scale, they are all 1:50000 scale which is okay for driving or even cycling but not ideal for walking. Also I heard lots of advice that it was a bad idea to walk the glens when it had rained recently as it would be very boggy under foot, so bad weather could really mess it up at the last minute.

I think if I do end up doing this, I might go to the Newcastle YHA and explore the mournes in detail, or do a cycling tour in stead (although how I get my bike there is another question - might have to rent?)

This is a blog of someone who did the entire route for charity.

http://ulsterwalker.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/ulster-way.html

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

No I have not but now you mention it I think there is something in me that probably should.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
Have you walked the Ulster Way and if so how did you get on? If you have any particular advice I would be interested to hear it.

I considered it at one point, or at least the portions in the Antrim coast and glens, lecale and the mournes and even went so far as getting the book by Alan Warner, partly because NI seemed to be very scenic, whilst being relatively unspoilt - not as touristy as comparably scenic parts of England, and every account I've readˀ emphasises how friendly NI rural people are. In fact, you can apparently walk long stretches of the UW without seeing anyone, in the glens, or so I've heard.

I think if I do end up doing this, I might go to the Newcastle YHA and explore the mournes in detail, or do a cycling tour in stead (although how I get my bike there is another question - might have to rent?)

Have you tried
Here? There are email addresses for relevant tourist information sites which should be able to point you in the direction of accommodation and bikes should you want them. I am from NI, and am familiar with the sights (but have not necessarily completed the Ulster Way). If you get the weather for it (it won't be blistering hot), there is truly no better place on Earth- so beautiful and the sights are spectacular. If it is a bit rainy, you'll want some towns with a local pub/coffee place- again the tourist info sites should be able to help you plan your adventure. To me (a very bad but enthusiastic surfer) the sea views on the coastal parts are my favourite, but the mournes are also spectacular (if a bit more challenging). In fact, this post is making me a little jealous of your adventure... thinking along the lines of Jengie Jon- why have I not done more of this before... (I've done the bits in Co.Tyrone where I grew up, through forest and remote countryside).

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

This is getting even more interesting. It may well be that the partner of one of my daughters will be enrolled in an M.A. in Kings College, London staring in September. So it will be a more complicated trip next spring if this occurs. Excited for them, he's waiting to hear of scholarship, which is the only way such a thing is affordable for colonials.

Visit before or after walking trip, and/or add another bit of trekking around in England. I know nothing whatsoever of Kings College, except the goolenet tells me it is a leading university in the heart of London (which scares me a bit, being a bit crowd avoidant, though not frankly phobic, just from preference.)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You could stay in Southwark. Visit the cathedral, walk along Bankside, see the Globe and the Tate Modern, cross over Westminster Bridge, by the Houses of Parliament and back along the Victoria Embankment. Or take one of the Thames cruises, if you really want to get off the streets. There are worse bits of London.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016