homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Have a grievous Lent!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Have a grievous Lent!
Pseudonym
Apprentice
# 16879

- Posted      Profile for Pseudonym     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's an appropriate greeting for Lent. I'd wish someone a Merry Christmas, and greet them with the news of Christ's victory in Easter...but it sounds strange to wish someone a Happy Lent!

Am I being too sensitive?

Posts: 9 | From: NYC | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We say, "Have a blessed Lent."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Have a holy Lent."
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudonym:
What's an appropriate greeting for Lent. I'd wish someone a Merry Christmas, and greet them with the news of Christ's victory in Easter...but it sounds strange to wish someone a Happy Lent!

I don't think wishing someone a "happy Lent" is inappropriate, unless we're seeing Lent as a re-enactment, which it isn't (pretending it's all happening again, right now). The victory has already been won, so I believe one can legitimately be happy in Lent, and I wish that for all of you.

But in terms of spending Lent contemplating the depth of our sin, Jesus' sacrifice, and God's love, I'd wish a very holy Lent indeed.

[ 15. February 2013, 13:33: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the liturgy we used on Ash Wednesday the priest commended us to a holy Lent.

Though when I imagine greeting someone with "Holy Lent" the word "Batman" somehow sneaks in after it.

[ 15. February 2013, 14:38: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the Roman Catholic liturgy calls it a "Joyous Lent," and I'm hardly going to complain about a little poetic paradox.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our former vicar understood choir humour very well. So, regardless of what the Liturgy said or whatever greeting was suitable in the church service itself, he would arrive in the choir vestry at the end, with a twinkle in his eye and wish us all a 'Happy Lent'. There were plenty of other times in the year when you knew he was only able to keep a firm lid on it during the service because he knew that, a few moments later, he could trot next door to the vestry and say whatever he really wanted to say. (And all was well as long as he remembered to remove his microphone first!!)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I heard the Roman Catholic liturgy calls it a "Joyous Lent," and I'm hardly going to complain about a little poetic paradox.

I don't believe that term is in the missal.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Lent is about getting closer to God, it should be 'joyous'.

As for the missal: Lent 1 preface 'For by your gracious gift each year your faithful await the sacred paschal feasts with the joy of minds made pure, '

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ceremonial of Bishops describes it as "the ascent to the Holy Mountain of Easter," which is my new favorite image for Lent.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

This is the logic that tells a new widow she should be happy because her husband is in heaven.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In view of Ash Wednesday: have a dusty Lent.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You could also go for Brıght Sadness.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

This is the logic that tells a new widow she should be happy because her husband is in heaven.
No - how about getting closer to God, like a husband getting closer to wife etc.? It's about deepening a relationship by having more quality time together.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

How about getting closer to God by sharing in His sorrow? Telling people they should be joyous in any occasion is hubris.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to wish a Jewish colleague of mine "Have an easy fast" before Yom Kippur. She had taught me this many years ago. Lent need not be a morose time of starvation. Hopefully a person's fast is enough for discipline, for turning one's thoughts, words, and deeds toward matters more important. If a person doesn't have an easy fast, and instead becomes preoccupied with hunger and want for food, then it seems that the discipline has lost its true purpose.

I'll simply wish my fellow Ecclesantists "Have an easy fast."

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holiness and blessedness is also about getting closer to God. I like 'have a Holy Lent'.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
How about getting closer to God by sharing in His sorrow? Telling people they should be joyous in any occasion is hubris.

The mystics see this as joyous - the gift of tears and all that.

Joy is too often misunderstood as some vague feeling of happiness as opposed to a depper blessedness.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

The mystics see this as joyous
Okay now you're saying, "You should find this joyous because the mystics do." Is it not possible that maybe the mystics are WAY beyond where somebody is right now, and telling them they should be at point 400 when they're only at point 7 is a little ridiculous, not to mention callous? Your posts here appear to betray a "one size fits all" notion of Lent and indeed of spiritual growth in general.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
If a person doesn't have an easy fast, and instead becomes preoccupied with hunger and want for food, then it seems that the discipline has lost its true purpose.

A little bit of black-or-white thinking is going on here. Either something's easy, or you're preoccupied with hunger and food. There's a hell of a lot of real estate in the middle there.

Something that's easy doesn't grow you. It doesn't have to be preoccupying to be hard enough to generate real growth. Eating all I want is easy. Fasting is a discipline, and things that are easy don't require discipline.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I am wondering if one's view of Lent shows one's view of God.

if God is love, then Lent will be lovely.

if God is a judging tyrant, then Lent will be horrible.

--------------------

hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think what we all need to have a fruitful Lent is grace, so how about 'Have a grace-filled Lent'?

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Something that's easy doesn't grow you. It doesn't have to be preoccupying to be hard enough to generate real growth. Eating all I want is easy. Fasting is a discipline, and things that are easy don't require discipline.

That seems a bit punitive and medieval. Real growth can definitely occur without physical suffering. Taking on a fast at all is an act of discipline, but it need not be tragic. It is my hope that people who take on a Lenten fast, even if they willingly take on a respectfully challenging fast (as with your Orthodox brethren), will ultimately find it to have been edifying yet easy. Setting out to begin with an easy fast? That's a bit of a different story.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Real growth can definitely occur without physical suffering.

Capıtal B, Bullshıt.

Jesus offers you the Cross.

ETA; Sınce when ıs medıaeval perjoratıve?

[ 17. February 2013, 18:56: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Capıtal B, Bullshıt.

I'm thinking a little more engagement with the issues would be more conducive to the irenic tones of this discussion. Think on these things.

/ Hosting

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Capıtal B, Bullshıt.

I'm thinking a little more engagement with the issues would be more conducive to the irenic tones of this discussion. Think on these things.

/ Hosting

Silent Acolyte, when you figure out how to work out your own salvation, let me know. Until then, suffer to your heart's content. Perhaps you might consider a fast from fasting. You just might experience some growth from that experience, too. In the meantime, I'll continue wishing you an easy fast.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of all the problems in Christianity in the West these days, excessive fasting is the last. If you ask me, we feast so perpetually that feasting has lost all meaning.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

That seems a bit punitive and medieval. Real growth can definitely occur without physical suffering. Taking on a fast at all is an act of discipline, but it need not be tragic. It is my hope that people who take on a Lenten fast, even if they willingly take on a respectfully challenging fast (as with your Orthodox brethren), will ultimately find it to have been edifying yet easy. Setting out to begin with an easy fast? That's a bit of a different story.
1. Challenging but easy is an oxymoron.

2. Again you pit "easy" against "suffering" -- there's enough real estate between those to drive a province through.

quote:

Since you won't answer me I will assume you cannot. Don't expect me to answer you.

[ 17. February 2013, 21:37: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:

Possibility 3: God is love, but we really are miserable wretches with no life in us, and turning around is therefore going to be hard.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Possibility 3: God is love, but we really are miserable wretches with no life in us, and turning around is therefore going to be hard.

[Overused]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Since you won't answer me I will assume you cannot. Don't expect me to answer you.
Sounds a bit angry.

Why do you assuje these questions were directed at you?

Why assume I could respond to your post immediately instead of preaching last night, going out for a meal, going to sleep etc.?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Sounds a bit angry.

Take it to Hell.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Only if you want a shouting match.

I prefer a rational discussion.

What is this wrathful deity and cowed humanity all about? Where does it come from? It is not the God of the Bible.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting ON

Whatever our Lord intended us to do during Lent, I'm pretty certain that this ill-tempered altercation was NOT it. You are all experienced posters here and frankly you should know better. Enough with the tangents, the arrogant assertions, the junior Hosting and anything even approaching a personal attack.

Hosting OFF

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our pastor is emphasizing Lent as a season for letting go of our demons to allow God's love to give rebirth so we can be the people God wants us to be.

So, in a sense, there is some grief because many of us are very comfortable with our demons.

There is some fear because we do not know what God wants us to be.

There is doubt in being able go accept the promise.

But there is a sense of hope too, in that we are in the process of being renewed.

As we move through lent, I would say joy begins to build. It reaches its fruition in at Easter

I would say an appropriate praise would be: "Have a Good Lent." It will be good if we can let go of the demons some (I don't think it will ever be a completed event, this side of eternity) and we can become more of what God wants us to be.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudonym:

Am I being too sensitive?

After taking some links from another page some days ago (I'd been originally reading about either the Jesus Prayer or fasting in different traditions), I came across an Eastern Orthodox page that mentioned joy in connection with Lent.

I don't remember enough about what I'd read to find it again, but a more general search yields a page from the Orthodox Church in America about Great Lent.

quote:
In the Orthodox Church, Great Lent is not a season of morbidity and gloominess. On the contrary, it is a time of joyfulness and purification.

<snip>

It is our repentance that God desires, not our remorse. We sorrow for our sins, but we do so in the joy of God’s mercy. We mortify our flesh, but we do so in the joy of our resurrection into life everlasting.

I'm not necessarily encouraging "happy Lent!" or even "joyful Lent!" greetings (and there doesn't seem to be at least a widespread Orthodox greeting for Lent). Even so, there's a perspective that I haven't much heard (though I've come to something like it through my "own" means, like thinking about the nature of Christian joy and stuff).
Posts: 58 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brother Roger of Taize said that Lent is a "festival of forgiveness".

"Have a joyous Lent" can sound more like a demand than a wish, I mean, ones reflections on the Passion of Christ and ones own failings won't exactly always inspire joy. The issue of forgiveness, for example, doesn't necessarily bring joy when one is confronted with ones own issues with it. The pressure to be joyful can bring stress and can reflect shallow thinking.

I have not understood anyone here saying that we should suffer, and God wants this suffering. What I understand is that Lent means reflections on the Passion and on ones self, both in a time of discipline; this may therefore lead to difficult times, but life is not without difficult times. I understand the difficult times to not be the goal, rather a consequence of setting time to reflect more.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that phrase, somewhere in the treasure house of the liturgy of the western churches, which says something like:
quote:
every year you give us this joyful season of Lent in which our spirits are renewed
Do you know that? If you do you probably can quote it better than I, and can say where it comes from. [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours is nice a simple:

Have a Holy Lent and a Happy Easter!

Job done.

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I notice is 2 things. The first is the majority of people. Good Friday creates a long weekend, and depending on workplace, Monday is also a statutory holiday (some workplaces have Easter Monday in July when the weather is summery). These folks greet with "what are you doing for Easter?", with the conversation invariably involving discussion of travels to visit with family. Very little to do with anything except the extra days off.

The second group generally asks "what are you doing for Lent?", and really mean "do you want to know what I've given up for Lent?". The best answer to this second group is to try to steer the conversation toward what you'd answer for the first possible type of question: "we're going to visit the wife's cousin's half-brother's second cousin by adoption".

I have never heard anyone in western Canada wish anyone anything specifically for Lent. I suspect regional variation accounts for much. Or we're just not very observant nor pious.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

If you wish someone a 'blessed' Lent then you are also wishing them a happy lent - because 'makarios' (see Matthew 5) can be translated 'Blessed' or 'Happy'.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016