homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Black rope cincture??

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Black rope cincture??
Fradgan
Apprentice
# 16455

- Posted      Profile for Fradgan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am bracing myself for the expected abuse.

I have been presiding at our Episcopal parish's Stations of the Cross service throughout Lent. I've been sporting the simple country parson's rig of Roman cassock and black leather belt. Has anyone ever heard of replacing the belt with a black rope cincture?

I'm not a pioneer nor a rebel, so I wonder if any such sartorial move might lead to scorn and banishment. Any thoughts?

--------------------
"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Posts: 37 | From: San Gabriel | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One has to wonder, if'n you already have a belt, why do you want to go switching for a new one? If it ain't broke et cetera.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you need either? Not that it matters in the slightest.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fradgan
Apprentice
# 16455

- Posted      Profile for Fradgan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be some understanding, in this neighborhood, that a Roman cassock should be cinched. I find the belt to be a bit constraining when tightened to a tension that prevents slippage. The gently draped rope cincture would be much more comfortable.

--------------------
"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Posts: 37 | From: San Gabriel | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never seen one with a Roman (by which I take it you mean 39-button SB?) cassock, but in the days when I was a chaplain's assistant at the Missions to Seamen (not a high church station: 'solid' CofI padre) we used to wear black rope cinctures with 'maternity' cassocks when serving in the chapel.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A black cincture is perfectly appropriate.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never worn a roman cassock with a cincture or belt. Sarum cassocks needs them though.

But since the Stations of the Cross is a service, why not wear vestments as you would for any other non-sacramental service? Viz., the classic cassock, surplice and tippet.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016