homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I repent ... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I repent ...
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning a joke was aired on local radio, I admit I heard the joke, I laughed AND I told the joke to my wife.

Here is the joke ...
quote:
I am writing a joke about nipples .... it needs a little tweaking.
I need to repent, to acknowledge in thought word and deed that I am a potential sinner of the worst kind, that this sort of stuff will ruin my life and the life of many around me and that I know unless I get better and behave I will be shuned, punished and be given a good telling off.

quote:
“But it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Mother.”
Fly Safe Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You filthy sinner. You should be in (fur lined) handcuffs immediately.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I am a potential sinner of the worst kind

I hate to drag theology into Hell, but you are exactly as much of a potential sinner as everybody else.

Must you pollute my halls with this drivel?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahh! Local Radio... that well known bastion of rape culture.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

Aw, bless. Look, he's learnt some new words, but he hasn't worked out how to use them yet.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

Aw, bless. Look, he's learnt some new words, but he hasn't worked out how to use them yet.
Aww, and you're trying out some sarcasm with training wheels there! Well done. You'll be a big boy soon!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aww, and you're trying out some sarcasm with training wheels there! Well done. You'll be a big boy soon!
The Great Gumby has enrolled in Sarcasm University. You, deano, have been held back in second grade repeatedly.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

deano
princess
# 12063

Oh, that's a good one. Well done. You took my jibe and turned it all around there by saying he's not a beginner, he's really, really advanced. So there!

It's nice to see the elegance and wit of a modern day Oscar Wilde now and then. Pity I'm still waiting.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Oh, that's a good one. Well done. You took my jibe and turned it all around there by saying he's not a beginner, he's really, really advanced. So there!

Well you can't argue with the facts. Actually, scratch that, it appears that YOU can until we all want to beat you over the head with something heavy.

In my opinion, as a long-time Hell observer and resident, The GG displays considerable skill around here, while you flounder around here like a toddler who is trying to run before he's refined his motor skills with a good, solid dose of walking.

While it's initially cute and amusing to watch your limbs flailing everywhere, after a while we worry that either you're going to break something valuable or you're going to hurt yourself when you smash into a wall because you're too busy looking at back at your audience with a grin on your face to see whether we're all appreciating your 'cleverness'.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

The problem you have Orfeo, is that your response above is like the wee kid who hangs around with the bully, and when GG made his comment, you leaned around from behind him, shook your little fist at me and said “…yeah!”

Oh, and if that’s the best display of GG’s “considerable skill” - “ooh, look what he said from the other thread!” – then it looks like I’m going to be waiting for my fix of elegant wit for a while yet.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The problem you have Orfeo, is that your response above is like the wee kid who hangs around with the bully, and when GG made his comment, you leaned around from behind him, shook your little fist at me and said “…yeah!”

You know, that analogy might just have worked if you weren't talking to a Hellhost.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If sarcasm's a bit too advanced for you, deano, let's try direct questions - do you have anything meaningful to add to this thread, or do you just see it as a new opportunity to air your homeopathic grade comprehension skills?

[ETA: Cross-posted and OMFG, I can't believe he just said that!]

[ 25. March 2013, 13:50: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

You know, that analogy might just have worked if you weren't talking to a Hellhost.
[Roll Eyes]

Ah, well, yess. The internet's traffic wardens.

Nice that you've made it clear that you are a host. I wont push too hard then.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

GG, I think the OP was discussing a joke. Have you a dictionary? Can you get someone to explain the concepts – sorry ideas – in a “joke”?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ah, well, yess. The internet's traffic wardens.

Nice that you've made it clear that you are a host. I wont push too hard then.

I'm not making it clear that I'm a host because I'm waving a big stick at you. I'm not acting in an official capacity on this thread. I'm referring to the fact that I'm a host because it's unbelievably stupid to suggest that I'm a little kid with no skills or experience standing behind the bigger boy.

You want to talk about sarcasm abilities, deano? I got picked to run Hell. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm going to bed now. I'd like to say it's been fun, but we all know that would be a lie.

[ 25. March 2013, 14:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
GG, I think the OP was discussing a joke. Have you a dictionary? Can you get someone to explain the concepts – sorry ideas – in a “joke”?

It's like trying to teach particle physics to a puppy that's barely housetrained. [Disappointed]

I know what the OP was, you tedious cockwomble. What started this off was your inane and uncomprehending contribution to the resulting thread. If that was meant to be a joke, I think it's best to say it may need some explaining to appreciate the full force of your no doubt remarkable wit. If it wasn't, I have no idea what relevance the joke in the OP has to anything.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If it wasn't, I have no idea what relevance the joke in the OP has to anything.

Everything! Pyx_e laughed at a joke about nipples! He is, therefore, a pernicious agent of the insidious rape culture that will surely destroy everything that is good in society! Unless he is stopped first...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A joke about nipples. How mammelist!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not as though male nipples don't respond to tweaking as well.

Unlike other male sexual parts, they can respond to cold by getting larger. I know a number of people who shouldn't wear polo shirts in the winter.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hostly Bowler On

If anybody wants to talk the rights and wrongs of Hosts and Hosting, take it to The Styx.

Hostly Bowler off

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
If it wasn't, I have no idea what relevance the joke in the OP has to anything.

Everything! Pyx_e laughed at a joke about nipples! He is, therefore, a pernicious agent of the insidious rape culture that will surely destroy everything that is good in society! Unless he is stopped first...
I've lost track with all the different layers of sarcasm and mockery. Is this intended to mock some sort of straw feminist, deano's imagination of the same, or something else entirely?

I did wonder if the mention of nipples might have got deano rather overexcited, but I can't decide whether he's trying to be right-on or mocking the idea of rape culture. It doesn't really matter, because he fails either way, but it helps to be clear. And as Organ Builder observes, without the context there's no way to know who's doing what to whom.

If anyone genuinely wants to argue, on the available information, that this joke is an example of rape culture, I'll disagree. Until someone actually tries to make that argument, you can keep your straw.

[Removing ambiguity]

[ 25. March 2013, 15:28: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've lost track with all the different layers of sarcasm and mockery. Is this intended to mock some sort of straw feminist, deano's imagination of the same, or something else entirely?

Well, we have a thread in Purg right now about how two guys who made a few vaguely sexual puns between themselves are exponents of rape culture and should be punished. What's different about Pyx-e's joke in the OP?

It can't be because nipples aren't a specifically female thing, because last time I looked "dongle" is a specifically male euphemism.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It - whatever it is - is all the fault of lentil-munching feminist Guardianistas. Immigrant lentil-munching feminist Guardianistas. Golf-hating immigrant etc etc.

It always is.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me thinks Pyx_e is becoming a bit of a tit.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You need to meditate on this instead, Pyx_e.

The good part starts at 1:20.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
eww...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

Damn you to here for posting that. You bastard.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, we have a thread in Purg right now about how two guys who made a few vaguely sexual puns between themselves are exponents of rape culture and should be punished. What's different about Pyx-e's joke in the OP?

Well, there are some differences; in context, in circumstance, in personnel etc. Does Pyx_e's wife feel personally insulted by her husband's reference to nipple tweaking? (I should think she probably lives in fear of much worse by way of conversation, round the Pyx_e breakfast-table [Razz] !!) Was it inappropriate of him to introduce nipple-tweaking where he and his wife were, and whatever was happening at the time? Hopefully, we'll never know! [Paranoid]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:

I hope they've all taken precautions....

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

Two hours ago I did not know that video existed. The only way to feel less unclean is to share it with friends...

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
gosh, thanks.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It - whatever it is - is all the fault of lentil-munching feminist Guardianistas. Immigrant lentil-munching feminist Guardianistas. Golf-hating immigrant etc etc.

Not forgetting humourless, man-hating and lesbian.
quote:
Well, we have a thread in Purg right now about how two guys who made a few vaguely sexual puns between themselves are exponents of rape culture and should be punished.

As I'm sure you're aware, not eveyone has taken such an extreme line. Anyone seeking a touch of sanity might care to read goperryrevs' posts.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It ALL good! (if you are a superstitious heretic)

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

It always is.

Not all, just one.

Fly Safe Pyx_e.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How do you clean a computer? deano wants to know. [Snigger]
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I've just been sick in my mouth and it's starting to dribble [Projectile]

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I know unless I get better and behave I will be shuned, punished and be given a good telling off.

What, no spanking?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:
quote:

I've just been sick in my mouth and it's starting to dribble [Projectile]
Me too, almost, but I was distracted by the small furry thing on his head - do you think it's alive?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the posted comments was a query about why the pages were stuck together...

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Two hours ago I did not know that video existed. The only way to feel less unclean is to share it with friends...

Yeah, who needs the radio when you've got Facebook?

Self-flagellation, Pyx_e, you know it's the only way.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eeeewwww. Bibliolatry porn!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don’t see the problem with that video. The guy seems quite sincere in his faith, and his audience is clearly uplifted and inspired by the message in his song. So what’s the actual difference between this stuff and, say, a Papal address? Or your Sunday Communion sermon? It’s a question of taste, isn’t it?

If taste is a fair arbiter of religion, all your faiths are a joke.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I don’t see the problem with that video.

Then you may need to adjust your bullshit detectors.
quote:
It’s a question of taste, isn’t it? ... If taste is a fair arbiter of religion, all your faiths are a joke.

Worship styles are arguably just a matter of taste (though it could be a very long and wearing argument). Faith is a matter of discernment. But what's your problem with taste, anyway? Somehow I find it hard to picture you drinking Nisa instant coffee with your breakfast Chocolate Cheerios.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Then you may need to adjust your bullshit detectors.

You think he’s bullshitting? Seriously, what gives you that impression?
quote:
Faith is a matter of discernment. But what's your problem with taste, anyway?

It's a hypocrisy. You cannot expect a neutral third party to respect your faith if you disrespect another’s on grounds of personal taste. If faith ‘discernment’ is based on something as subjective as personal taste, it’s pretty fucked up, seems to me.

[ 26. March 2013, 09:21: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
I know unless I get better and behave I will be shuned, punished and be given a good telling off.

What, no spanking?
tsk, murder culture.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

What’s funny is reading people’s comments WITHOUT watching the video!

You think you have a good grasp on what’s happening then someone throws in a line like…

quote:
I was distracted by the small furry thing on his head - do you think it's alive?
And the imagination goes into overdrive…

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
It's a hypocrisy. You cannot expect a neutral third party to respect your faith if you disrespect another’s on grounds of personal taste. If faith ‘discernment’ is based on something as subjective as personal taste, it’s pretty fucked up, seems to me.

But it's all personal taste. Haven't you noticed that anyone whose beliefs are more liberal than yours is a hellbound heretic, and anyone who's more conservative than you is a fundie nutter? (With apologies to George Carlin)

Similarly, anyone whose preferred form of religious expression is more approximate to cultural norms than yours is a backslider with nominal beliefs, while anyone who expresses themselves in less socially acceptable ways is either looking for attention, mentally abnormal or deliberately mocking your genuine faith.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Well, quite.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

What, no spanking?
I'm sure it could be arranged if you want it that much.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

Actually, I see no reason to believe the gentleman leading the worship is anything but perfectly sincere (though he may be speaking figuratively when he says he sleeps with it).

It was the not-at-all-subtle sexual overtones and the facial expression of orgasm that made the whole thing seem so OTT.

On the other hand, I found it very encouraging that not all of the congregation seemed to follow unquestioningly. Some of them looked vaguely amused, and there was one old gentleman who wasn't doing any of it, but the camera moved away from him rather quickly.

"Stroke it, kiss it, rub it across your face". I guess I need to face the fact that my sense of humor hasn't changed much since junior high school.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don’t see the problem with that video. The guy seems quite sincere in his faith, and his audience is clearly uplifted and inspired by the message in his song. So what’s the actual difference between this stuff and, say, a Papal address? Or your Sunday Communion sermon? It’s a question of taste, isn’t it?

If taste is a fair arbiter of religion, all your faiths are a joke.

Ugly, badly dressed but by all accounts wealthy white guy telling good looking, better dressed black people, no doubt with less money, what to do. I thought we were past that.

Of course he seems sincere. His livelihood depends on it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016