homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Beer thread redux (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Beer thread redux
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am enjoying a local microbrew IPA from a nearby college town where our daughter lives and my wife got her MA....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a fan of the band Elbow, MrD was happy to receive a case of their "Build a Rocket,Boys" beer, created by Robinsons of Manchester.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An important consideration for me is the strength of the beer. Often a pint is going to be 2.6 units, and in general I would like to stick within the recommended drinking limits. That's 2-3 units per day for women and 3-4 for men. I think it is a shame you can't easily get less powerful beer nowadays - did mild used to be weaker ?

Otherwise as woman, its going to have to be shandy if I want more than a pint. It is difficult to make a pint last an evening - and I like stout [Frown]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been saving the Ruby Anniversary Ale from Chiltern Brewery, brewed for CAMRA's 40th anniversary, for a special occasion. I've already had a couple of bottles (it came in a pack of five with a special glass). It's strong, at 7.2%, but wonderfully complex, with lots of different hops in it. Definitely one for sipping over an evening, and I will be looking out for other beers from Chiltern brewery in the future.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a local brewhouse/restaurant called Bull and Bones; their Maroon Effect Ale is excellent.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, not what I thought.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lately, I've been enjoying CobbleStone Stout .

One of the few local beers with a draft widget. And I like Stout.

For St. Patrick's day, went with my Mum to the Granite Brewery. They had some special casks made for the day - Vanilla Stout. YUM

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Otherwise as woman, its going to have to be shandy if I want more than a pint. It is difficult to make a pint last an evening - and I like stout [Frown]

While neither are stout, Manns Brown Ale is a measly 2% (also making bottles very cheap), and much more favoursome than you'd expect from the strength (cooks well, too, apparently - ideal for snake and ale pie). Jennings Bitter is, I think, 3.5% and much more flavoured than most bitters - Jennings beers tend to have a distinctive smokiness, which this has. On a lighter note, Brakspear bitter is only about 3.4%, and I think Hooky Bitter from Hook Norton is in a similar area. Sadly, finding them may be the hard bit...

How often do you head out for that bevvy? If it's only every now and then, the occasional night with more than one in is unlikely to do much harm (though IANADr!)especially if you have a couple of dry days between them. Every night would be a different matter.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree with Sandemaniac. Strong beer is not necesarily better beer. I find too many ales & beer of more than 4% quite sticky and heavy even when served cold. Genuine bitter was often brewed close to 3% because men doing physically hard work needed something that went down easily and didn't incapacitate them or leave them with a sore head in the morning. A few pints of a light, hoppy bitter, served at what was room temperature before central heating came along (ie, about 52F/11C) is very pleasant.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always remember visiting the glass works in what was still Czechoslovakia. The glass blowers drank gallons, out of flagons which they produced in a matter of minutes - and probably melted down again. Thing was, they were way better designs than the fussy, ornate, dated stuff they were working on.

The same trip included a visit to the Staropramen brewery which concluded with drinking the beer, piped straight from the cellars. Our guide - a moonlighting lecturer from Prague Uni - remarked that it would take him about an hour to earn the price of the glass. Price in UK equivalent? - about 10 pence.

That was all twenty years ago, and I suspect both wages and prices have caught up since - but the Czech beers are still some of the best I've tasted.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weissbier is the best beer ever. End of.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

While neither are stout, Manns Brown Ale is a measly 2% (also making bottles very cheap), and much more favoursome than you'd expect from the strength (cooks well, too, apparently - ideal for snake and ale pie). Jennings Bitter is, I think, 3.5% and much more flavoured than most bitters - Jennings beers tend to have a distinctive smokiness, which this has. On a lighter note, Brakspear bitter is only about 3.4%, and I think Hooky Bitter from Hook Norton is in a similar area. Sadly, finding them may be the hard bit...

How often do you head out for that bevvy? If it's only every now and then, the occasional night with more than one in is unlikely to do much harm (though IANADr!)especially if you have a couple of dry days between them. Every night would be a different matter.

AG

Thanks - I'll see if I can source some Manns' (I like brown ale - goes back to my uni days in Stoke).

I don't go out often - but then, over 5 units is technically binge drinking. And I give my liver enough abuse by being overweight.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ooh look, carried by Asda [Smile]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada is really not a bad place, but the beer situation was desperate for a long time - lots of vile mass produced stuff that all tastes the same. Now we have the Grand River Brewing Company in Cambridge, and I haven't touched the other stuff since they opened. Good, hoppy old fashioned beers with an alcohol content that doesn't leave me completely stupid after the first half litre, and a Plowman's (that's how they spell it) Ale that's as fine a beer as you will find on this planet. It takes a little of the urgency out of getting back to Scotland for a pint of heavy.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just drinking a Golden Sheep, last night I had an Oakham's Citra (dh had a bottle of Hooky). I like my ales either golden or hoppy.
I'm about to buy beer kits of Woodforde's Wherry and Sundew, I've heard they turn out very well and I fancy a go at brewing my own. The Wherry's for my other half.

[ 31. March 2013, 22:10: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought a six-pack of Conway's 'Irish' Ale from the Great Lakes Brewery to end my lenten fast from alcohol. It's good, though slightly hoppier then I would expect from a British or Irish style ale. It tastes better slightly chilled then it does from the fridge.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just tucking into an Oakham's JHB, another hoppy beer with a frothy head. Not tried this brewery before, their beers would seem to make nice summer beers, very refreshing.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strong beers are a problem here as well. I was looking through the offerings at a local brewpub, and you would be hard pressed to find anything below 5%. I can think of one place that makes a mild, but in general, you aren't going to find too many takers for low gravity beers, which is a shame. Brewers are beginning to put special release beers in casks, however, which is fantastic for those of us who love real ale.

I have become rather obsessed with Saison and other rustic farmhouse style ales. Another beer that is supposed to be a working man's refreshment but comes out at 7% in the hands of American brewers. A few restaurants keep them on tap around here, which is fantastic, as they go very well with white meats, fish, pungent cheese, and spicy foods. I'll be spending part of next weekend on my second attempt at a home brewed Saison, this time making use of Motueka hops from New Zealand.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We get a good range here, the locally brewed mild is about 3.2% and there is a recession version at 2.4% (and more importantly £1.30 a pint) which you can drink all day and still cross the river on the pipe bridge without falling in. Personally I like to drink not too much but quite strong. I usually go for the 6-9% ales but only a couple of pints a night.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At New Year my dad gave me some of this mocha stout. Lovely.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin, I just tried Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA from your neck of the woods. Hop heavy Belgians can be a tough balance, but I have to say that Stone did an admirable job.

Another West Coast take on a Belgian style that I love is from San Diego's Green Flash, Reyon Vert. Imagine Orval with a heavy hand of West Coast hops, and you will get an idea of what to expect. I would really like to age a bottle for six months to a year, to see how the Brett develops over time. But it's just so good that I haven't found the patience yet.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belgian style?

Anyone who has been to Belgium and samples even a small part of the beers knows that the beers from there are very diverse.

There is no such thing as Belgian style.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Indeed.

The American Beer Judge Certification Program has something called "Belgian Golden Strong" in their list of beer styles. That term was apparently coined by beer writer Michael Jackson to describe Duvel. You notice that most of the beers listed as examples have devilish names, and are noted for their light color and pear notes; in other words, if you are trying to brew a beer that tastes like Duvel, it's a Belgian Golden Strong.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Belgian style?

Anyone who has been to Belgium and samples even a small part of the beers knows that the beers from there are very diverse.

There is no such thing as Belgian style.

How can the nation that has given us Plastic Bertrand, Rene Magritte, the saxophone and Moules et Frites be said to have no style?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It'd not that the Belgians have no style, but that they produce so many different styles, and produce them in high quality, that makes it hard to pin the buggers down.

In Belgium I go for the dark beers, or ta fruit beer with a desert*, neither of which come under the US description of Belgian beer.

*That would be ice cream with chocolate sauce with a sparkling raspberry lambic brew.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The distinctive thing about Belgian beers is the use of wild yeasts, which does make them different from other beers--though also from each other. There's not one particular flavor profile, since wild yeast is so variable.

I must say that, much as I love Northwest beers in general, I've noticed a disturbing trend toward overhopping in recent years. There's an obnoxious macho quality to it sometimes, like guys who boast about how many Scoville units their favorite host sauce rates. It's not about how bitter you can stand it, it's about the balance between malt and hops, which is getting lost in some quarters.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I have a love of Czechoslovakian beers, Pilsner Urquell in particular, I have managed to secure some cans of Woodeforde`s Wherry to brew at home so am a happy chappy.

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by DonLogan2:
Although I have a love of Czechoslovakian beers, Pilsner Urquell in particular, I have managed to secure some cans of Woodeforde`s Wherry to brew at home so am a happy chappy.

Just made mine up this morning [Smile] I'll do the Sundew when the Wherry has brewed.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife's parish church has another beer-tasting coming up soon: I hope it does not interfere with our Atkins diet too much!

Last beer I had was a "half and half" as the Irish call it. In England it is a "Black and Tan."

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Carbs be damned: I am enjoying the first of two pints of Corona Extra, my second-favourite Mexican beer while listening to the 6 O' Clock News! My favourite is Negra Modelo which is a very dark and heavy ale, but not easily sourced at the grocery store in the large bottles I prefer.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Negra Modelo is a lager, not an ale. A Vienna lager, in fact; Vienna lager is apparently rather hard to find in Austria, but it came to Mexico at the turn of the century, and has remained popular there ever since. I do agree that it is quite tasty. Victoria is another harder to find Mexican Vienna lager that I suggest you search out. And although some beer snobs will pick on anyone who likes light colored Mexican beer, there is something about a Pacifico on a hot summer day that cannot be replicated with any ale on the planet. I'll be in Cabo in May, and pale lagers are high on my list of drinks to enjoy there.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I should add that a few years ago, a very controversial memo on spotting drug smugglers in federal camp sites was leaked, which suggested looking for people drinking Mexican beer and eating tortillas (seriously). Given that I frequently drink Modelo out of a can on camping trips, usually while enjoying a taco, I started to wonder if I was being watched.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Negra Modelo is a lager, not an ale. A Vienna lager, in fact; Vienna lager is apparently rather hard to find in Austria, but it came to Mexico at the turn of the century, and has remained popular there ever since. I do agree that it is quite tasty. Victoria is another harder to find Mexican Vienna lager that I suggest you search out. And although some beer snobs will pick on anyone who likes light colored Mexican beer, there is something about a Pacifico on a hot summer day that cannot be replicated with any ale on the planet. I'll be in Cabo in May, and pale lagers are high on my list of drinks to enjoy there.

I did not know that! I will seek out Victoria - it is available here. I remember drinking Pacifico nearly 30 years ago at my favourite Mexican restaurant......

That said, we went to the cafe at the local art museum and I had two micro-brews: a dark ale and a passable IPA from the same brewery - both were quite good!

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An important consideration for me is the strength of the beer. Often a pint is going to be 2.6 units, and in general I would like to stick within the recommended drinking limits. That's 2-3 units per day for women and 3-4 for men. I think it is a shame you can't easily get less powerful beer nowadays - did mild used to be weaker ?

Sod recommended daily amounts. If we followed them strictly no one would ever get merry. Commonsense is the key. Sometimes we can have a little more and sometimes a little less.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last summer I went on a tour of the Fullers brewery. Can recommend it and the tasting session afterwards was pretty cool. I do like my ales. I do like the complex flavours of the older stronger ales but the weaker ones are nice too. I like London Pride which is a good well balanced ale. I like those Belgian dark ales. I tried an ale from the Orthodox Valamo monastery here in Finland which I liked very much too.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

Sod recommended daily amounts. If we followed them strictly no one would ever get merry. Commonsense is the key. Sometimes we can have a little more and sometimes a little less.
I live alone, I watch my intake because it is so easy for it to creep up - and to come to rely on it as a stressbuster.

Tough day, come home and have a G&T - pour generously so maybe a double - beer or cider with dinner, then maybe a nightcap ? That could be six units. OK as a one off, but start doing it every day and that's 40 units a week. That's above the danger level for developing long term dependence.

I see people with alcohol dependence in the course of my professional work, perhaps that is what makes me so wary.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I understand where you're coming from, of course, and if you find it the best thing for you then you should do it. I guess my point was that guidelines are only that, guides, so that we can use common sense so that we can assess what is bet for us. This I now see is what you have done. [Smile]
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here brew their own beer? I would love to give it a go but have no experience. Any tips on good books to read, essential equipment to buy, where inside/outside the house to keep the brewing beer?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I've made a few brews. I would start with beer kits. You can't really go wrong with them as long as all your equipment has been sterilised and you've followed the instructions. You can make some pretty good brews with them. One of the things you have to decide is are you going to go with bottles or a barrel. Bottled beer lasts longer but it's quite a lot more work. Barrels, on the other hand, are easy but the beer doesn't last as long and after a couple of weeks can start to take bitter. If you go for a barrel I would advise not to use a large barrel. I bought a 25 litre barrel a soon realised it was too large. As to where to store it, while it's fermenting room temperature is fine as long as it's not too hot. Once the second fermentation process is over a dry cool place is the best for storage, a cellar if you have one.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Does anyone here brew their own beer? I would love to give it a go but have no experience. Any tips on good books to read, essential equipment to buy, where inside/outside the house to keep the brewing beer?

We had a brewing thread not so long ago. You may find something of interest there.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Last summer I went on a tour of the Fullers brewery. Can recommend it and the tasting session afterwards was pretty cool. I do like my ales. I do like the complex flavours of the older stronger ales but the weaker ones are nice too. I like London Pride which is a good well balanced ale.

There is a bar near my house that has four different kinds of Fullers (Pride, ESB, London Porter, and Lancer IPA) on cask. Another bar near my church has Pride and ESB, along with OK Indian food- I used to go for a ESB and a Saag before choir.

Last spring, I became obsessed with the Gale's brewery, despite the fact that I have never tasted their product. They have apparently been taken over by Fullers, but their yeast is available to brewers in the States thanks to the Hale's Brewery in Seattle, and I have a few recipes for clones in a book. Any sign of their brews at the Fullers brewery?

Last weekend, I had Rochefort 8 and 10 for the first time. I slightly preferred the 8, but both were lovely- so much dried fruit flavor that you could have thought it was a dessert wine, but for the texture.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
There is a bar near my house that has four different kinds of Fullers (Pride, ESB, London Porter, and Lancer IPA) on cask. Another bar near my church has Pride and ESB, along with OK Indian food- I used to go for a ESB and a Saag before choir.

Cool. A combination made in heaven: good beer and a Ruby Murray.

quote:
Last spring, I became obsessed with the Gale's brewery, despite the fact that I have never tasted their product. They have apparently been taken over by Fullers, but their yeast is available to brewers in the States thanks to the Hale's Brewery in Seattle, and I have a few recipes for clones in a book. Any sign of their brews at the Fullers brewery?

I can't remember to be honest but I shall have to look out of it. It's always nice to try different beers.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Don't write of a brewery on one beer.

One of my favourite breweries is Copper Dragon in Skipton. They make a fantastic range of beers.

Except for Scotts 1816.

Nothing wrong with it except it isn't to my taste. But I'd rather risk having the odd pint I don't like from a brewery that makes distinctive flavoured ales than drink the bland rubbish that the large breweries make. And copper Dragon make Golden Pippin, beautiful.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one for Doublethink!

Moorhouse's Black Cat - a dark mild at 3.4%, but flavoursome with it.

As for ex-Gales beers, I know Fullers have brewed and sold Gales HSB - a dark, strong beer. I loved it, but had to stop drinking it as I felt really drained the day afterwards - more than just a hangover, a total lack of energy. I've never known another beer do the same. Getting arseholed, yes, but one particular beer doing it every time even if only have a couple, no.

AG

[ 12. April 2013, 20:49: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I had a lovely Hawaiian blonde Hefeweisen at the local Irish pub yesterday afternoon: something about a wave and it appealed to me because I had surfed their when I was at university. I still surf, but except for 2007 when I hired a board and wetsuit near Land's End in Cornwall, I've not been further than San Diego!

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh! I love Moorehouse's Black Cat!

And I've just been up to the local real ale pub and tried a new Wychwood beer - Jester Jack, light, golden and very pleasant.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Last summer I went on a tour of the Fullers brewery. Can recommend it and the tasting session afterwards was pretty cool. I do like my ales. I do like the complex flavours of the older stronger ales but the weaker ones are nice too. I like London Pride which is a good well balanced ale.

I've heard that Fullers have 2 different recipes for each of their ales - one for the beer they supply to their own pubs and one for non Fullers houses. The ones in the Fullers tied houses being superior, the other being slightly less good quality but easier to look after as they don't trust non-Fullers landlords to keep the good stuff properly. Don't know if that's true though.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just back from the south coast (of England). Definitely beer country. We stopped at an off-licence in Emsworth to pick up some wine. The selection was pretty average - but the beers! A whole wall of stuff, most of which I'd never heard of, and many of them local. Including a chilli beer.

We marked our one evening on the Isle of Wight with a couple of pints of Vectis Viper.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Had a Hawaiian hefeweisen twice this week: tasty!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I've heard that Fullers have 2 different recipes for each of their ales - one for the beer they supply to their own pubs and one for non Fullers houses. The ones in the Fullers tied houses being superior, the other being slightly less good quality but easier to look after as they don't trust non-Fullers landlords to keep the good stuff properly. Don't know if that's true though.

I don't know what the recipe change would be. Fullers is famous in the brewing world for using a parti-gyle mash to create some of its beers. Parti-gyle is an old technique for creating two similar beers of different strengths- you mash a large amount of malted grain, and then collect two worts, one made up of the concentrated early runnings to make a strong beer, and another of the less concentrated later runnings to make a weaker beer. Fullers apparently makes the two different beers, and then blends those beers to create beers of four different strengths, of which ESB and Pride are the second and third in order of potency.

Maybe there is a packaging difference, but I don't know how a recipe change would make one easier to store. The recipe is only a small part of what makes a beer taste the way it does.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016